PDA

View Full Version : I did it. I caught them all!

Dat Matt
02-20-2014, 10:12 PM
So I've dedicated played pokemon pretty much non-stop since the beginning of the year, but it has finally paid off and I am a Pokemon master.

http://i.imgur.com/SR4LZm3.jpg

This is a moment for the record books for me. I have gained many nerd points today.

Sephiroth
02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Does the National Pokédex also include in the new version all Pokémon in existence, so all 6 generations?

If so, congratulations. I have yet to do that after getting a 3DS as I have only completed the Dex in Pearl and Black 2.

Shauna
02-20-2014, 10:33 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/a1/c7/f9/a1c7f967595b0d384488b48717207aad.jpg

Dat Matt
02-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Does the National Pokédex also include in the new version all Pokémon in existence, so all 6 generations?

If so, congratulations. I have yet to do that after getting a 3DS as I have only completed the Dex in Pearl and Black 2.

Yeah, it includes all 718 currently released Pokemon. Took about 2 months of solid playing to get them all.

Shauna is also mad because she is not a Pokemon Master

Sephiroth
02-21-2014, 12:05 AM
This is very impressive, congratulations again. Did you get something except the message? In Black and White 2 you get the Shiny Charm.

Tasura
02-21-2014, 12:14 AM
I will eventually get this done, I just need to play through my Gen 4 and 5 games to get the Legendary Pokemon, then find someone to trade me Event Pokemon for Dex entries. If I hadn't slacked off I'd have the Gen 4 and 5 stuff already, but Zapdos was pissing me off in HG.

Sephiroth
02-21-2014, 12:17 AM
I will eventually get this done, I just need to play through my Gen 4 and 5 games to get the Legendary Pokemon, then find someone to trade me Event Pokemon for Dex entries. If I hadn't slacked off I'd have the Gen 4 and 5 stuff already, but Zapdos was pissing me off in HG.

If it is for the normal DS, send me your Friend Code and we can meet in a few minutes.

Pete for President
02-21-2014, 01:45 AM
Congrats! How many are we talking about? I learned to read and read the thread. Impressive!

Tasura
02-21-2014, 03:04 AM

If it is for the normal DS, send me your Friend Code and we can meet in a few minutes.

Not that I'm not 3 hours late or anything. But I don't actually need the Zapdos, I already have the dex entry in Y, I just wanted to catch all the Legendary in HG before I moved onto SS.

And if you were referencing the Event Pokemon, I need them in Y, so unless you have X/Y and the Bank, we couldn't trade anyway.

WildRaubtier
02-21-2014, 04:11 AM
No Stargate Mon, your claim is invalid.

Pumpkin
02-21-2014, 04:15 AM
I will never catch them all. I will catch only the cute ones.

Congrats!

Bolivar
02-21-2014, 04:37 AM
Very impressive!

lol @ shauna

Freya
02-21-2014, 05:29 AM
Holy crap. Congrats! You nerd you. Like holy moly that's an accomplishment. Good job!

Old Manus
02-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah, it includes all 718 currently released Pokemon.
It's at even hundred and fucking eighteen now? Holy balls. 151 for life.

Fynn
02-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Congrats man! I never got a full pokédex, not even back in yellow :/

escobert
02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it includes all 718 currently released Pokemon.
It's at even hundred and smurfing eighteen now? Holy balls. 151 for life.

151 4 lyf brah

Dat Matt
02-21-2014, 10:44 PM
No Stargate Mon, your claim is invalid.

Those three aren't out yet. When they are though, gonna jump right on it. Worst thing about them is that they cover up to 721 which means another box need to be opened for 721. It's have a page to itself

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Well, holy shit.

escobert
02-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Is there one game that allows you to catch every single pokemon? Or do you need several to do it?

Ayen
02-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Somewhat impressive.

Now you've reached the plateau but not yet a hero.

Are you ready to meet and defeat, the Elite?

Can I expect survival against your rival?

And remember, gotta catch 'em all.

Show me what you got!

4kJ9wp-mog8

Del Murder
02-22-2014, 06:58 AM
The most impressive thing is that you were able to do it with grace and poise.

Botchmun
02-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Aulayna
02-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Photoshopped. I can tell by the pixels.

Also the name is Matt and not MrShauna. Clearly fake.

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Respect.

Psychotic
02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Which was the last one? And which was the hardest to get?

Bubba
02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Congraturation.

This is happy end.

Thank you.

Dat Matt
02-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Is there one game that allows you to catch every single pokemon? Or do you need several to do it?

Ha no. I actually did a fair amount of research before starting off between from all the DS games of which there are 9.

I got pretty much everything In Pokemon Y. Shauna got a Cyndaquil via the wonder trade. He and ditto started a farm for me in terms of eggs. These got traded on the GTS pre-Pokemon bank to get essentially everything that wasn't legendary. It's at that point I started on the DS games.

Heart Gold and Soul silver is where I got all of gen 2, however they also offered most of generation 3 legendaries not available anywhere else such as Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyorge and Rayquaza. Groudon/Kyorgre and Latias/Latios were exclusive to each game, and you had to beat Red to unlock them so I had to play through the entire game to get them. These two took about 80 hours to complete, Red was beaten by sandstorm and spamming hyper potions. It was magical.

Diamond and pearl were ignored because everything in that could be found in Platinum. The copy I had purchased from ebay did not work on my 3DS, so I emulated it on a DS lite. No cheating with the exception of EXP modifiers/catch rate modifiers and unlocking the items to access event Pokemon like Darkrai. I also unlocked an event Regigigas here which allowed me to catch the other 3 legendary golems which allowed me to catch a "Legit" Regigigas. This cut out the need to play Black2/White 2. This took about 30 hours

Black and White was interesting too. My copy of white was also a fake (it was an R4 Card with white installed) so I emulated that too. Running though this again with EXP modifiers/Catch Rate increase n such. There were only 7 legendaries to catch in each game, so this took about 10 hours to do. I transferred over all my level 100 guys to black, which where helpful but became an ordeal to finish the game. Bloody things kept hitting themselves and falling asleep cause they didn't listen to me till the 8th gym was finished. By this point I had "Everything" I could possibly get. I didn't need to play Black 2/White 2. Took about 20 hours.

Trading the games up was a bother though. Turns out everything I had bought from ebay was a knockoff except black. Games played fine, but couldn't use the transfer tool to move them from generation 4-5. I had to dig out an old copy of Pokemon pearl to trade them up. I found a billion legendaries there including a Jiarchi. It was an old save file I used. There was about 30 legendaries and a shiny raichu in there. They all got moved up.

I have a first name you know (http://home.eyesonff.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/154388-winners-announced-lightning-returns-poster-giveaway-5.html#post3377127)

I'll break it down:

Last one I caught: Kyurem
Last Unique Pokemon I caught: Tornadus
Last Pokemon to Complete the Dex: Genesect.

From trading and breeding I managed to get 711 Pokemon myself. This includes all the legndaries that I had been farming from previous games. As a result of playing multiple games like Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Black/White I ended up with lots of duplicates. Kyurem was the last Pokemon I actually caught in black, but I already caught him in white so I have 2 of him. The last unique Pokemon I caught was Tonradus as he is Black exclusive.

When I traded everything up I was missing the event pokemon I could not get in platinum or white (the two games I emulated). These were Mew, Deoxys, Arceus, Victini, Keledo, Melotta and Genesect. My brother had a copy of the first 6 which he said he would trade me some of the spare legendaries for. Another friend had a spare Genesect so I traded him something else for that.

Hardest Pokemon to catch were Entei and Raikou. I hated them. They run around all over the joint like the own the place and then when I finally trap them in battle with my Gengar's mean look they use Roar and make me flee from the battle. Catching them in Heart Gold/Soul Silver was awful and I hate roaming legendaries. Hate them so much.

Aulayna
02-22-2014, 03:55 PM

I have a first name you know (http://home.eyesonff.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/154388-winners-announced-lightning-returns-poster-giveaway-5.html#post3377127)

I'm afraid I'll need your birth certificate and passport for fraudulent verification purposes.

In all seriousness though, it feels like time to dust off

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/187807/resized_professor-oak-meme-generator-you-ve-caught-all-the-pokemon-congratulations-here-s-a-piece-of-paper-1b394f.jpg

Damn Oak. Such a troll.

escobert
02-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Ha no. I actually did a fair amount of research before starting off between from all the DS games of which there are 9.

I got pretty much everything In Pokemon Y. Shauna got a Cyndaquil via the wonder trade. He and ditto started a farm for me in terms of eggs. These got traded on the GTS pre-Pokemon bank to get essentially everything that wasn't legendary. It's at that point I started on the DS games.

Heart Gold and Soul silver is where I got all of gen 2, however they also offered most of generation 3 legendaries not available anywhere else such as Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyorge and Rayquaza. Groudon/Kyorgre and Latias/Latios were exclusive to each game, and you had to beat Red to unlock them so I had to play through the entire game to get them. These two took about 80 hours to complete, Red was beaten by sandstorm and spamming hyper potions. It was magical.

Diamond and pearl were ignored because everything in that could be found in Platinum. The copy I had purchased from ebay did not work on my 3DS, so I emulated it on a DS lite. No cheating with the exception of EXP modifiers/catch rate modifiers and unlocking the items to access event Pokemon like Darkrai. I also unlocked an event Regigigas here which allowed me to catch the other 3 legendary golems which allowed me to catch a "Legit" Regigigas. This cut out the need to play Black2/White 2. This took about 30 hours

Black and White was interesting too. My copy of white was also a fake (it was an R4 Card with white installed) so I emulated that too. Running though this again with EXP modifiers/Catch Rate increase n such. There were only 7 legendaries to catch in each game, so this took about 10 hours to do. I transferred over all my level 100 guys to black, which where helpful but became an ordeal to finish the game. Bloody things kept hitting themselves and falling asleep cause they didn't listen to me till the 8th gym was finished. By this point I had "Everything" I could possibly get. I didn't need to play Black 2/White 2. Took about 20 hours.

Trading the games up was a bother though. Turns out everything I had bought from ebay was a knockoff except black. Games played fine, but couldn't use the transfer tool to move them from generation 4-5. I had to dig out an old copy of Pokemon pearl to trade them up. I found a billion legendaries there including a Jiarchi. It was an old save file I used. There was about 30 legendaries and a shiny raichu in there. They all got moved up.

I'll break it down:

Last one I caught: Kyurem
Last Unique Pokemon I caught: Tornadus
Last Pokemon to Complete the Dex: Genesect.

From trading and breeding I managed to get 711 Pokemon myself. This includes all the legndaries that I had been farming from previous games. As a result of playing multiple games like Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Black/White I ended up with lots of duplicates. Kyurem was the last Pokemon I actually caught in black, but I already caught him in white so I have 2 of him. The last unique Pokemon I caught was Tonradus as he is Black exclusive.

When I traded everything up I was missing the event pokemon I could not get in platinum or white (the two games I emulated). These were Mew, Deoxys, Arceus, Victini, Keledo, Melotta and Genesect. My brother had a copy of the first 6 which he said he would trade me some of the spare legendaries for. Another friend had a spare Genesect so I traded him something else for that.

Hardest Pokemon to catch were Entei and Raikou. I hated them. They run around all over the joint like the own the place and then when I finally trap them in battle with my Gengar's mean look they use Roar and make me flee from the battle. Catching them in Heart Gold/Soul Silver was awful and I hate roaming legendaries. Hate them so much.

wow... so much work...

Dat Matt
02-22-2014, 04:15 PM
http://seemslegit.com/_images/3c6a2b5e3d3046a2faddc5ff81d980f1/2105%20-%20pokemon%20serious-business.jpg

Overall I think I spent about 400-500 hours playing pokemon these last two months. Large time committment, but just means that time isn't poured into other games. That is now being rectified.

Madame Adequate
02-22-2014, 04:34 PM
You're an inspiration. :salute:

Del Murder
02-22-2014, 05:31 PM
500 hours? Do you have a job?

Calliope
02-22-2014, 05:41 PM
How do you feel, now that there are no more new pokemon to catch?

escobert
02-22-2014, 06:28 PM

It's taken me over 2 months but I have like 600-700 hours logged in civ 5 with another 160+ in DayZ then probably another 80 in random other games and I work full time :p

Dat Matt
02-22-2014, 06:53 PM

I have a 40 hour week. 500 hours was an over estimate. Checking 3DS library logs it's actually about 350 hours and I'd clocked 80 hours before the 2014 grind.. I'd clocked 80 hours previously in 2013 where I was playing Y, so taking that into consideration it's about 270 hours this year has gone towards Pokemon. It's amazing the amount of free time I have, Should probably put it towards something useful like starting to study for CIMA.

How do you feel, now that there are no more new pokemon to catch?

Empty becuase I know that I'm not done. There are at least 3 I am missing as they are not readily available yet. If they do the same thing they did with platinum there may be more. Generation 4 has 108 Pokemon, 60 of which were only available after the platinum expansion. Kinda expecting the same thing with Pokemon Z is inevitably released.

Kalevala
02-23-2014, 11:18 PM
LIVE - Shiny Ponyta After 25968 Encounters! (Leaf Green #1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw)

Is this similar to your reaction upon catching your last of the 718?

Dat Matt
02-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Na, There were some moments though where I was like that. For example, when chasing Entei/Raikou around (I'd been doing so for two or three days) [About 5 hours of gameplay] and I caught him with my first ultra ball on one encounter the feeling was more surprise rather than ecstatic. Nothing however will replace the sorrow I felt when I accidently ran from that shiny Graveler. Pay attention when playing kids, you may have accidently ran from a shiny too.

On a side note, this kid did 25968 encounters to find this, which is about 8650 encounters per handheld. if the average battle he ran from lasts 30 seconds from encounter to encounter) thats 4328 minutes he searched for that, or 72 1/2 hours he was looking for that shiny Pontya. That's roughly the same length of time I spent playing heart gold and soul silver, and that took me all month.

Bubba
02-24-2014, 08:28 AM
LIVE - Shiny Ponyta After 25968 Encounters! (Leaf Green #1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw)

That is dedication only a madman can display. I have a mixture of awe and repulsion for this kid.

I would sooner take a thousand kicks to the testicles than spend 72 hours looking for a Pokemon.

Dat Matt
02-24-2014, 02:10 PM

That is dedication only a madman can display. I have a mixture of awe and repulsion for this kid.

I would sooner take a thousand kicks to the testicles than spend 72 hours looking for a Pokemon.

The Shiny Encounter rate in those games is 1/8192. he Should have found at least 3 shines during his time. However based on the video description that was the first he found. No wonder he freaked out so much.