PDA

View Full Version : Mayko or Mahko?

Carl the Llama
02-21-2014, 03:58 PM
So when I was younger I always thought it was pronounced Mayko, but after replaying Crisis Core they pronounced it Mahko... how did you guys pronounce it?

Sephiroth
02-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Mahko, in my country you would say "Mah" to to "Ma" anyway and it is not written with the Katakana "Me-i" but "Ma" so that never was a problem for me personally. When I say "Materia" it sounds more English than the real Japanese pronounciation so I differ it a bit there as it is based on the original word, of course - and I think it just sounds better. Existing words are an exeption anyway. I don't believe anyone says "Bahrett" in English. Funny as it is, the head piece is pronounced like this in Europe, however.

Mirage
02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Mahko for sure. It's how I would pronounce it in my main language anyway.

Shorty
02-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Mayko.

Jinx
02-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Mayko.

Slothy
02-21-2014, 07:32 PM
In Japan it would be pronounced the latter so that's probably what they intended, but fuck it, I like mayko better.

Mirage
02-21-2014, 07:36 PM
mayko sound really dumb and you all are dumb for saying it like that

dumbians

Slothy
02-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Mayko sounds like a shark. Feel free to tell a shark its name sounds dumb. Try not to lose a hand in the process.

Pumpkin
02-21-2014, 07:54 PM
MAYKO

Mercen-X
02-21-2014, 08:51 PM
According to shows like The Seeker, "ah" is pronounced "ay" so Kahla is Kayla and Mahko is Mayko.

As for me, I've gone from Mako to Mako to Mako. For the laymen, that's mayko, mahko, and whacko makko. The final transformation is to pronounce it "mucko."

Psychotic
02-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Neither. Assuming the "ah" in "Mah-ko" is pronounced like the "a" in Garden. I guess the closest I can get to how I say it is "Makko" with the "a" being like that in hat.

Kalevala
02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
1986 TV Commercial Maaco - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6izFhAhU5c)

Aulayna
02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Mack-o, so Mahko I guess

Mirage
02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Mayko sounds like a shark. Feel free to tell a shark its name sounds dumb. Try not to lose a hand in the process.

yeah i'll just shout it to them from land, and then have fun watching them die from asphyxiation if they try to get to me

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2014, 10:46 PM

yeah i'll just shout it to them from land, and then have fun watching them die from asphyxiation if they try to get to me

You keep telling yourself that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwmqp3GLMc)

Mirage
02-22-2014, 12:31 AM
yeah like i would stand that clos

trust me i have a lot of experience with taunting sharks

Skyblade
02-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Mako is the name of the shark. It's an actual word in our language. It's pronounced "Mayko". Hence, that is the pronunciation I used. If the Japanese wanted it pronounced differently, they should not have used the spelling of an actual word with a differing pronunciation from the one they intended.

Kalevala
02-22-2014, 01:15 AM
To be fair, it is a little unreasonable to expect writers to avoid using a specific word or pronunciation because it's an actual word or pronounced a certain way in another language. The amount of research needed would be ridiculous, not to mention there's bound to be conflicting pronunciations for words that may exist in more than one language and mean different things.

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Mack-o (rhymes with Jack-o)

So neither

Ayen
02-22-2014, 01:46 AM
I separated the ma and ko and started to pronounce may before the ko so mayko.

Rostum
02-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Where the hell are you guys getting the "y" from?!

Skyblade
02-22-2014, 04:04 AM
To be fair, it is a little unreasonable to expect writers to avoid using a specific word or pronunciation because it's an actual word or pronounced a certain way in another language. The amount of research needed would be ridiculous, not to mention there's bound to be conflicting pronunciations for words that may exist in more than one language and mean different things.

For writers, this is the case. For the localization team, not so much. Which, since the original Japanese version didn't use Arabic characters, means that the original term was never "Mako".

I was assuming that there was oversight of the localization by the Japanese offices (I know there is these days, not sure about back then). The localization team should not have made that mistake.

The Man
02-22-2014, 05:11 AM
>implying that the people that translated final fantasy vii had any idea what they were doing

It's supposed to be mah-ko, although I agree may-ko does sound better.

Kalevala
02-22-2014, 05:31 AM
I was assuming that there was oversight of the localization by the Japanese offices (I know there is these days, not sure about back then).

Sephiroth
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I never knew there was a Mako Shark. But the first picture I saw with him was blue so it be true. All those special words with their western version are decided how they are written in Japan already and appear in manuals, depending on what it is, ingame or magazines, so it was nothing wrong anyway. Still there are words that are mistranslated from time to time as the translators don't know it. "Ma-ko" in Japanese is pronounced like the European pronounciation so I would have never doubted that except when it is called "Me-i-ko".

In the end everyone knows what is meant anyway.

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Mayko.

Mahko just sounds like an Australian saying Marco.

Bubba
02-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Makko

Used in a sentence.

Any attack made by the rebels against this station would be a useless gesture, no makko what technical data they have obtained.

magemasher
02-22-2014, 07:00 PM
I pronounce it may ko. I also pronounce Tidus not Teedus (pet hate of mine:D)

Jiro
02-24-2014, 12:47 AM
If it's meant to be mahko then I guess it's mahko but naming it after a kickass shark is super cool

Shaibana
02-27-2014, 12:27 PM
first time i heard the word it was pronounced Mahko, so its mahko to me

Big D
02-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Mahko for me.

Fun fact: to those of us in English-speaking countries outside the USA, mako (as in mako shark) is also pronounced mahko. The only time I've encountered the 'mayko' pronunciation was these guys (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Military_Assault_Command_Operations).

Jiro
02-28-2014, 05:50 AM
Mahko for me.

Fun fact: to those of us in English-speaking countries outside the USA, mako (as in mako shark) is also pronounced mahko. The only time I've encountered the 'mayko' pronunciation was these guys (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Military_Assault_Command_Operations).

oh. man. I hate being wrong, but I like the way it sounds. I blame YuGiOh fyi.

Big D
02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
It's not 'wrong', it's just a different and equally-valid way of pronouncing the same word.

Rostum
02-28-2014, 10:07 AM
It's not 'wrong', it's just a different and equally-valid way of pronouncing the same word.

Stop sitting on the fence and smite these heathens with me!

Skyblade
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

There are tons of words with multiple valid pronunciations, and even plenty with multiple valid spellings.

Yet pronouncing "Mako" or "Tidus" has only one possible correct answer, regardless of what language or dialect you speak, or even what accent you have. Way to actually be inclusive of other cultures, Japan.

It's like Britain telling us that the word is spelled "colour" or that the proper pronunciation is "leftenant". They can say it all they like, but those of us in the United States know they're wrong. :D

maybee
02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
# team may-ko for life

Because yeah, it's how the little Sharkies name is said, and nobody says no to little Sharkies. ;c

Bubba
03-01-2014, 08:59 AM
That's not mahko. It's a space station.

A tremor in the force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old mahko.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no mahko for a good blaster at your side, kid.

This R2 Unit has a bad mahkovator, look.

You needn't worry about your reward. If mahko is all that you love then that's what you'll receive.

Did you hear that? They shut down the mahko reactor. We'll be destroyed for sure. This is madness.

...Star Wars says it's Mahko. Everyone else is wrong... and possibly insane.

NeoCracker
03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Can't we all just agree any way to pronounce it is kind of stupid?

That said I prounced it Mayko when younger, and it sounds better to me, so fuck off that is correct, your logical arguments be damned.

MJN SEIFER
03-01-2014, 02:18 PM
When I first saw it, I said "Mack-oh", but I had a friend who said "Make-oh" (as well as walkthrough that implied it). After watching Digimon, I went through a phase of saying "Mar-ko". I sometimes still do, but "Mack-oh" usually wins.