PDA

View Full Version : Tiedus or Teedus

magemasher
02-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Inspired by the Mako thread in the VII forum.

Which is it for you? It's one of those things that has bugged me since watching the bonus disc. The name Titus is not pronounced Teetus so why Tidus?

This has bugged me for years, I need resolution:D

OMG I'm such a fool I spelt the polls wrong:|

Can mods edit it please? or if not it doesn't matter you get the point.

Such a fool lol.

Shorty
02-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Tye dus. So Tietus, I guess.

I hate the way the game pronounces it. I put it on mute.

Pumpkin
02-23-2014, 03:43 AM
Tye Dus definitely.

The Man
02-23-2014, 03:46 AM
The reason it's pronounced as Teedus is because that's how it's pronounced in Japanese. I agree that Teedus sounds dumb and prefer Tiedus though.

Ayen
02-23-2014, 04:48 AM
I always pronounced it the former when I see the name.

Depression Moon
02-23-2014, 05:02 AM
At first I thought it was Tyedus, but now I use the correct pronounciation whenever it was that we found out. Was it Kingdom Hearts?

Sephiroth
02-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Both, Tiedus is better, Teedus is right.

Why is everyone excusing the pronounciation because that's what the Japanese want it to be that way? I don't care!

For the same reason you don't pass red lights. It is defined to be wrong.

Skyblade
02-23-2014, 06:09 AM
At first I thought it was Tyedus, but now I use the correct pronounciation whenever it was that we found out. Was it Kingdom Hearts?

Kingdom Hearts pronounced it Tee-dus. Kingdom Hearts II pronounced it Tye-dus. So, yeah, even the games can't keep it straight.

Always Tye-dus for me. It sounds better. Although, actually, I always rename him, so it doesn't matter.

Freya
02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Cept in the new audio drama after x-2 they say teedus.

Its tie-dus and always will be.

Fynn
02-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Teed us is correct. Get your act together, people! The Japanese don't use "ti" normally, so if they go through all the effort to put a sound combination not native to their language, they deserve it fucking pronounced.

maybee
02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Tidus, though Tee-dus is unfortunately canon.

Mirage
02-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Teedus comes naturally to me in my language, so that's what I say. That's also what you get when you pronounce "i" like "i", not lie "ai". Silly english.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Based on my experience in X and X-2, his name is clearly "boy", "him", and "you". I can imagine Jecht naming him one of those things. I often do rename him as boy, though.

Vyk
02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Teedus sounds stupid. And Tidus is stupid. So, though I had previously pronounced it incorrectly, and continue to do so whenever I see the name, I'm completely comfortable with his name being pronounced stupidly. Because I hate him :)

Vermachtnis
02-23-2014, 07:46 PM
I call him Tyedus, cause I want to.

Based on my experience in X and X-2, his name is clearly "boy", "him", and "you". I can imagine Jecht naming him one of those things. I often do rename him as boy, though.

Whelp, I now know what I must do when I get the HD remake.

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 04:18 AM
Teedus comes naturally to me in my language, so that's what I say. That's also what you get when you pronounce "i" like "i", not lie "ai". Silly english.

So you say eet and een do you? And you say my language is silly? >.>

Hello eenkeeper, ee would like air conditioning een my room, do you have eet? xD

Tyedus FTW!

Personally I think i should be pronounced differently based the word you are using, there shouldn't be a definite way to pronounce 1 letter in cases like this.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 07:37 AM
In an ideal language, one phoneme has one equivalent grapheme and everyone is happy. English doesn't have that due to the weird way it evolved. Mostly due to French influence. If you look into the history of English, you'll see that Old English is pretty straightforward in that regard, it's in Middle English where things start to get messed up (keep in mind neither Old English or Middle English refers to what most people refer to as "Old English", as then they usually mean Shakespearean English, which is actually Early Contemporary English).

That said, Tidus's name is not of English origin, therefore, English phono tactic rules do not apply. You don't pronounce Czech as "see-zek".

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
That said, Tidus's name is not of English origin, therefore, English phono tactic rules do not apply. You don't pronounce Czech as "see-zek".

Neither is Mika but the game pronounces it Myka... once it gets translated to English the pronunciation should be of that language as well, I could list a whole load of other examples, like Seifer, the e in japanese should be pronounced like the e in hey, but isn't... go figure.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Can't argue with Mika, but Seifer was meant to be Germanic-ish, so here the Japanese got it "wrong".

Pike
02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Tye-dus:

Tee-dus:

Loony BoB
02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Tie-dus. Fixed your poll/thread title! :)

Karifean
02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Since Teedus (albeit with short "ee", so more like Ti-dus) is the natural way to pronounce it in my language, I've been saying that since forever.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Why don't we all agree to call him Meg Ryan?

Mirage
02-24-2014, 03:06 PM

So you say eet and een do you? And you say my language is silly? >.>

Hello eenkeeper, ee would like air conditioning een my room, do you have eet? xD

Tyedus FTW!

Personally I think i should be pronounced differently based the word you are using, there shouldn't be a definite way to pronounce 1 letter in cases like this.

No because I don't use those words in my language. And that's a problem with english. There's so little consistency in how letters are pronounced. Instead of using different letters for certain sounds you just make tons of arbitrary rules like "in this specific case c is actually pronounced like "durp" and y is pronounced "i am numbskull"".

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Why don't we all agree to call him Meg Ryan?

I have done this in my current playthrough!

Shorty
02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Why is everyone excusing the pronounciation because that's what the Japanese want it to be that way? I don't care!

black orb
03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
>>> For me is Tee-doos or tea-doos, thats how you spell "Tidus" in my language (english phonetics are smurfed up)..:luca:

Mirage
03-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Actually it is pronounced "tedious"

black orb
03-04-2014, 11:53 PM
>>> Some people say "tie-dust", those are the worst..:luca:

Fynn
03-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Titty-uss? TAR-dus? The possibilities are endless!

Also, when you say Tied us, it sounds like his name is "Titus". Which it isn't.

sir helix
03-10-2014, 09:15 PM
If ppl actually watch the trailer for the game it says "a young man named (teed us)"

Psychotic
03-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm more offended by Square's official pronunciation of chocobo than I am of Teedus, though I think my defences are slowly being worn down.

Skyblade
03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm more offended by Square's official pronunciation of chocobo than I am of Teedus, though I think my defences are slowly being worn down.

Is the "official" version different from the FFX version? If not, how do you pronounce it?

Shiny
03-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Oh not this again. It's definitely Teedus, however I personally think the pronunciation of Tiedus makes more sense and is more appealing.

Little Miss Awesome
03-22-2014, 12:29 AM
I say Tie-dus because that's how I began saying it and it just sounds better to me, even though I think I remember James Arnold Taylor, his voice actor, saying it's officially pronounced Teedus, as others have said.

Slothy
03-22-2014, 01:46 AM
The reason it's pronounced as Teedus is because that's how it's pronounced in Japanese.

This. It's the pronunciation that Square told people it was before the game even came out.

And I disagree with many people. Both sound stupid, but Tideus sounds significantly more stupid to me.

Why is everyone excusing the pronounciation because that's what the Japanese want it to be that way?

Because Tidus is derived from an actual Japanese word meaning Sun. That and English speaking folks butchering words in other languages tends to get a bit old after a while.

Shorty
03-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Don't care. I pronounce it according to my region. My name is pronounced differently in different accents and regions, so Tidus will have to accept the same fate.

Jiro
03-22-2014, 03:14 AM
I don't understand why people think "tee-dus" sounds dumb and "tie-dus" sounds better. It's much of a muchness in my opinion. "Tie-dus" sounds too much like an Australian saying "tight arse" (esp. if you say it with Wakka's accent) so I say the former.

I can understand wanting to stick with a regional pronunciation that feels comfortable though. Like I said in the Mako thread, I usually go with the official but "mahko" feels way too dry.

Sephiroth
03-22-2014, 08:31 AM
It is not pronounced Teedus in Japanese, but Teeda (Te-i-da), still "Tidus" (with "Teedus" as pronounciation, can also be seen in the Japanese Dissdia for example) is supposed to be the actual translated version of his name, just like "Za-kku-su" is not supposed to be "Zaks" but "Zack" (can be seen in the Japanese Crisis Core for example). It kind of depends. Golbez would be Golbeza, Firion would be Frioniel, et cetera.

Psychotic
03-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Is the "official" version different from the FFX version? If not, how do you pronounce it?
FFX is official. I say it choc as in chocolate.

Jiro
03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Ain't it cho as in choke-abo though?

Psychotic
03-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes, and that's vile.

Jiro
03-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I thought so too when I first heard it -- I literally said "ugh that's gross" before realising nobody else was around to hear me -- but it has grown on me somewhat. I think drawn out vowel sounds are pretty common in an Australian accent (esp. Queensland; we are sister states with Texas for a reason) but chocobo is still my preferred.

Related: Moogle is a fucking horrible word either way so I just say mog. Like mop but flipped round. Mog. Easy. (oh god I guess Moomba ties into this. fuck I am gonna quit while I'm... somewhere.)

Loony BoB
03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I can't help but feel that Jiro has personal reasons for preferring the name with an "ee" sound rather than an "I" sound. ;)

Jiro
03-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Don't you smurfing start me, Loony BoB!

Tidus is a name created by a Japanese company. Jiro is a Japanese name that I am wearing.

I can do what I want. And I let you do what you want with your chronic mispronunciations to the point where it almost sounds okay you limey kiwi.

EDIT: I forgot some kind of smiley to show this is light hearted. Um. :greenie:?

Freya
03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Well the change the spelling on things all the time when they translate. If they were wanting it to be pronounced as teedus for the English region they should have spelled it in a way the pronunciation would come out as teedus. Or just said it originally.

Noctis Caelum
03-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Tie-dus. Always has been. I see that the 'proper' pronunciation is actually Tee-dus, but that just seems so freaking strange to me. I can't change it now.

Shorty
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
I say choke uhh bo and gyro. Sorry, my dear!