PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu Travels

Shauna
02-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Matt and I have had a week off work booked for... over a month now, and we didn't decide what we were going to do with it until today. Our week off starts tomorrow. We were tempted to look abroad, but with less than 48 hours to plan something, we decided to leave that until another time.

We're going to London to do some touristy things and whatnot from Tuesday to Friday. We've been to London once before and spent 90% of our time in our friend's house. But this time we're going to go see things! And also go see the Harry Potter WB Studio Tour which really is the main reason I want to go.

Could potentially meet up with some London-EoFF nerds, but I appreciate that it is like tomorrow at this point. Seriously last minute planning and whatnot with us! We're just really lazy. xD

Anyway, topic! Have you ever just made some last minute plans to go somewhere? Jumped in your car and driven somewhere new and different? Or do you need to plan things ages in advance, like a normal person?

Shorty
02-24-2014, 01:24 AM
I used to take weekend trips at a drop of the hat pretty often. I haven't this year because I've been trying to save money. Those kinds of trips are the best, though! I hope you have a lovely time. :love:

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2014, 05:49 AM
The least prep time I've had for a trip is 2 or 3 days but it was just a camping trip and I store all my camping gear in one spot anyway

Ayen
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
No, but I'm often the last person told when we're going somewhere so it's kind of like making plans at the last minute. But that's only to go to Missouri.

Mo-Nercy
02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
I love a good road trip on the weekend. I haven't done it much recently though. Back in the day, even something as mundane as a good cafe or a particularly pretty, secluded beach would be enough to get me on the road for 4-5 hours.

Ashi
02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I would love to travel suddenly.

DanielCLFFF13
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
When I want to go somewhere well I just go. Sometimes by myself or with friends. Who like to travel of course :D
But there are only two things that I should worry about. First gas for my bike. And second, which is the most important thing is Cop. Since don't have driving license yet. I could get caught before I go very far. But I'm very rarely get caught by Cop. Which is strange :confused:
For money not really a concern. Even if didn't any money or at least some, if I got a pack cigarette. Good to go :D

Pumpkin
02-24-2014, 05:42 PM
I would also love to travel suddenly. When I do get to go somewhere it is usually planned at least a month in advance, depending on the duration.

sharky's family will plan something a month or so in advance but not iron out the details until the very last minute and it's incredibly frustrating for me. It stresses me out not having things be planned properly until the last minute and I don't know what's going on or who's doing what. So I just make sure when I plan stuff that I take more time and don't procrastinate on the details :D

Shiny
02-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Even though I had wanted to go for a while, my trip to California was a pretty last minute decision.

noxious.sunshine
02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Pretty much everything I do is impromptu nowadays.

.... I pretty much live life flying by the seat of my pants. Going to Texas in December was pretty well impromptu, along with winding up staying w my dad for nearly 2 months and moving to NYC.. Oh. And that time I actually lived in TX for nearly a year. Yeaj. That was mega hella last minute. I literally had less than 24 hrs to make up my mind and still wasn't entirely sure until I packed my stuff and got in my dad's dually. .... The move back to Nashville was "planned" in less than a week.

I love random road trips to places. I don't love random road trips where I have to pack up and move.

It's nearly impossible for me to plan aahead though.. Something usually happens to screw up my plans and I wind up having to back out ..

Jess
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm a planner. I like to plan everything in advance.

I occasionally go to London without any prior plans, because I live pretty close.

Jowy
02-26-2014, 06:49 AM
I find it far more rewarding of a trip when you say "smurf it", and book a flight / buy a bus ticket / rack up hundreds of miles on the odometer. The memories seem much more genuine.

Bubba
02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Any long-distance travel plans I need to have booked well in advance. I love to travel but I like to be prepared.

A few years back though I had a very last minute trip to Scotland. My friend managed to get me a ticket for the Celtic v Rangers old firm football game at the last minute. The game started at 12:45pm on the Sunday and he told me on the Saturday afternoon the day before... and I had a gig with the band in Manchester that night!

I basically finished the gig at midnight, got a taxi into town to jump on the overnight Megabus which left Manchester at 1am and got me into Glasgow, Scotland at 6am. Managed to get two hours sleep on my mates sofa before getting up and having a few beers before heading to the game!

I'm not sure my body could cope with that again.

Yar
02-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I used to take weekend trips at a drop of the hat pretty often. I haven't this year because I've been trying to save money. Those kinds of trips are the best, though! I hope you have a lovely time. :love:

Impromptu San Diego Getaway '11 ftw!!

Shlup
03-01-2014, 01:06 AM
I don't think I've ever done anything without thorough planning... If I were wealthy I'd go on far-away trips on a whim all the time though.

Jiro
03-01-2014, 02:10 AM
yeah I've done a few. they cause me great anxiety and it's tough to enjoy them fully.

Shauna
03-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, we have returned. It was pretty great. The Harry Potter Studio Tour was amazing and it was entirely worth the trip down.

All the other stuff was cool too, I guess.

Miriel
03-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Did you have butterbeer??? :D

Del Murder and I planned a trip to Italy in like 3 weeks (it was our honeymoon trip actually), and a trip to New Zealand in about a month. South Korea I think we bought tickets only a few weeks in advance as well. We saw them on sale and just snatched them up. For international trips, I would say that was pretty last minute. And these trips where we didn't get to do much advance planning actually ended up being our best trips. Normally I over research and over plan. I planned for months in advance for Paris and ended up trying to do way too much and our schedule was way more rigid because of the number of advance reservations I made. But with Paris, I don't know how well you would do at least eating wise if you don't make reservations in advance. One of the best restaurants we ate at in Paris needed reservations at least 4 weeks in advance. I saw a lot of people try and walk in and get turned away. But this led to things like running down the streets of Paris trying to make sure we get to a reservation in time. Makes things a little stressful! And the Eiffel Tower actually needs to have tickets purchased in advance too. We checked 2 months in advance and everything was already sold out. :(

We've also taken impromptu day trips to cities around the Bay Area. One weekend we decided to just drive up to Sonoma because we wanted some salted caramel ice cream shake. Hour drive, totally worth it!

Robb
03-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Being Australia there's a lot of road to travel. I think the most spontaneous travel is when the Avatar craze was well and truly over.

I bought the Blu-Ray and sat down to watch it. Fell in love with it and wanted to see it at the cinemas. My local cinema wasn't showing it anymore. Devastated, I Googled for any cinema screenings. IMAX, Melbourne was showing it. (IMAX is Australia's largest cinema) I decided then and there that this was my favourite movie and I had to see it. So I booked flights from Adelaide to Melbourne and flew over the next day. Totally worth it.

Jiro
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Wow that is an impressive trip