PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 04:25 AM
So I am just starting a new game on FFX and I am bugged by something... why doesn't anyone ever refer Yuna by her name before you meet her, it's all Summoner Apprentice this or Summoner Apprentice that, even Wakka does it? all for what... so Tidus can say "and here was I thinking that all Summoners were old geezers"... I just went around the entire village and temple just before Tidus breaks into the cloister and EVERYONE says Apprentice Summoner. Now I don't know about you but if someone who I had known since she was a child was at risk of losing her life, I would be praying for the person... not the title.

Vyk
02-24-2014, 06:24 AM
It bothered me too. They probably just wanted to keep some aspect of it secret. Either to make you think it's not an important character, or to make you think it's not a woman. Or something to that effect. Either that or they just enjoyed the "suspenseful build up" for some reason. The artistic/writing choices they made in that game are baffling sometimes. Some of the games I hate from Square-Enix make me wonder how much better they'd be if they had a real editor brush over their stories a bit before production

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2014, 06:43 AM
I think it really was just so you would think its a tough old man so as to surpise you when she took of her motorbike helmet and whips her hair in the wind.

Also possibly its the same as the rule about no big goodbyes. They try to defamiliarise themselves with the summoners so they wont be so sad as to not want to leave.

Also summoner is a title of great honour so lowborn scum should not refer to her by name. STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 07:28 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if Wakka kept referring to her like that at times after the reveal. He doesn't. Frankly, I don't think anybody does. Later it's always Lady Summoner, Lady Yuna, etc. Smurf this game.

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Frankly, I don't think anybody does. Later it's always Lady Summoner, Lady Yuna, etc. Smurf this game.

This. Exactly this, its fucking stupid.

Psychotic
02-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Do you know how nobody ever refers to Tidus as Tidus? Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes and all that? It's because you could change his name. I bet that was going to be the case in FFX, you could change Yuna's name (Like Squall and Rinoa in VIII) but they changed their minds early on.

Pumpkin
02-24-2014, 07:59 AM
I often enjoy using vague titles to refer to someone when introducing them to someone new, in hopes that the new people are left wondering whether I am introducing them to some old dude or some young woman with two coloured eyes who happens to be like 17 even though she could pass for 25. Of course she wouldn't be 25 because that's waaaay too old.

Of course the new people I'm introducing to the maybe old man, maybe young woman could easily foil my plan by looking at the game case, therefore not being surprised or shocked in the least bit.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Do you know how nobody ever refers to Tidus as Tidus? Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes and all that? It's because you could change his name. I bet that was going to be the case in FFX, you could change Yuna's name (Like Squall and Rinoa in VIII) but they changed their minds early on.

Yes, but when you plan a game scenario, you don't write it chronologically, so it's not like the first point they said her name they decided you wouldn't get to rename her. If that were the case, after they'd made that decision, they would have logically go back to those areas of the script that no longer make sense. That's why I agree with Vyk on the editing issue.

All of this makes me think Wakka did it. He be like: "Hey, village, listen up, ya? There's this new guy here and I thought it would be a good idea to troll him into not knowing Yuna's a girl. Of course, after he finds out, you can go back to talking about her normally. It's gonna be so much fun, ya?"

Ayen
02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I never really noticed it during any of my runs through the game. Feels like a minor grievance at best to be honest with you. It probably was just their way to build to the summoner's reveal and then never to be thought of again. Japan's not really that good at revealing things, most of the time you can guess what it's going to be before it's revealed. Or they flat out spoil it anyway.

Karifean
02-24-2014, 12:31 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if Wakka kept referring to her like that at times after the reveal. He doesn't. Frankly, I don't think anybody does. Later it's always Lady Summoner, Lady Yuna, etc. Smurf this game.

She's no longer an apprentice summoner by that point anymore.

Personally, I don't really see the problem with this. I wouldn't have ever actively noticed myself. Is it that much of a bother?

Although since one look at the back of the game case shows you who the summoner is, it is kinda humorous.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
It's shoddy writing because it's not made believable. Wakka has no reason to call her that, and later he never refers to her as either an apprentice or a summoner. It's not just towards Tidus, but towards everyone in the beginning. Heck, he may have called her the apprentice summoner in front of Tidus once or twice since he's out of the loop, but between everyone else it should have been Yuna or Lady Yuna. I personally blame the translators. Tons of honorifics are normal for the Japanese, but they do not work in English.

maybee
02-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Always assumed that they're being polite and respecting Yuna and her wishes, she's basically a higher-up because of her dad, so they're basically, in a way, below her, because her Father's High Summoner.

Carl the Llama
02-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Always assumed that they're being polite and respecting Yuna and her wishes, she's basically a higher-up because of her dad, so they're basically, in a way, below her, because her Father's High Summoner.

I don't know about that, I mean they aren't polite to Donna, and I think they would treat her like family... not some title. Can you honestly see Yuna asking people to call her that?

Psychotic
02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Yes, but when you plan a game scenario, you don't write it chronologically, so it's not like the first point they said her name they decided you wouldn't get to rename her. If that were the case, after they'd made that decision, they would have logically go back to those areas of the script that no longer make sense. That's why I agree with Vyk on the editing issue. "Well yeah when you plan a game you wouldn't do it chronologically, but I think this change occurred once they'd already started recording. From a recording point of view obviously you would do it chronologically. I don't know if it's the same for the Japanese version or not, but if it is I can only assume they've just copied the script across to English without paying too much attention.

Fynn
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
If that really happened, it just proves how inept the people responsible are.

Kalevala
02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
I often enjoy using vague titles to refer to someone when introducing them to someone new, in hopes that the new people are left wondering whether I am introducing them to some old dude or some young woman with two coloured eyes who happens to be like 17 even though she could pass for 25. Of course she wouldn't be 25 because that's waaaay too old.

You are straight-up diabolical.

maybee
02-25-2014, 07:52 AM
I don't know about that, I mean they aren't polite to Donna, and I think they would treat her like family... not some title. Can you honestly see Yuna asking people to call her that?

Donna is a cow

And she doesn't have a Dad for High Summoner.

Carl the Llama
02-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Donna is a cow

And she doesn't have a Dad for High Summoner.

Cow or not, if your planning to sacrifice your life to give the planet a holiday, you deserve respect.

I mean sure she quits n everything but they didn't know that at the time.

Ayen
02-26-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't remember what the general reception of Dona was to other people in Spira, but I recall Dona being a bitch to Yuna and criticizing her for having so many guardians while she only needed one and was nothing but a mean pain in the ass up to the point she gave up. Even after all that I don't remember anyone being overly harsh towards her.

Pumpkin
02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Dona is kind of bitchy at first, but I get the feeling it comes from a place of insecurity and Yuna being an easy target. When Yuna stands up for herself, Dona starts to back off, and she becomes a good bit more civil. She still isn't the nicest woman in the world, but that's kind of just her personality.

If you think about it, Dona only has her lover. She's still trying to fight for Spira and sacrifice her life for others. Yuna is the well-known daughter of a High Summoner hero, she has Auron, her father's guardian, she has the worldwide support, she's like the "celebrity" summoner. I think Dona might be feeling overshadowed or inadequate when competing against someone who basically all of Spira is rooting for. And she also has a point, she makes it pretty far on her own with only one guardian and herself. That should be a testament to the fact that she obviously has some talent. She was probably just feeling like no one really gave a flying poop about her and the journey she was making and the hardships she was facing and the internal struggle of walking to your death. She still had to go through all of that, but with less overall support than anyone. That probably caused her to lash out at Yuna, which wasn't helped by Yuna's innocent, easy to pick on demeanor, but eventually she gains respect for Yuna and realizes she was being petty.

That Isaaru though :nonono: