PDA

View Full Version : Your Style

noxious.sunshine
02-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Ok, I know there's a clothing thread already, but this is somewhat different....

Noxy needs a major wardrobe update.

I'm not really getting rid of any clothes just yet.. I'm actually well on my way to losing weight, so I fully expect to fit back into my fav jeans by April or May..

Srsly tho.. I walk on average a mile+ a day 3 or 4x a week including climbing stairs to the train stops and lugging groceries 1x a wk.. And that's without me being employed. It's been a huge motivator in getting me to not eat just cuz I'm bored .. And we only rly drink on Fridays & Saturdays now, so go mw.

But, I digress.

I kind of know how a few of y'all dressed based on fb pictures - Shorty is a hipster, Jinx.. IDK how Jinx dresses, Locky's style makes me think of Taylor Swift (:P not that that's a bad thing at all), etc...

Moving to an exponentially larger city than Nashville has really made me re-evaluate my style in general... I'm a -very- basic type of girl - jeans and plain-ish shirts & tank tops with flip flops or flats, bohemian style skirts with basic tanks, denim minis w the same.. Sometimes I'll switch tanks out for tube tops in the Summer, but it depends on my weight/size at the time. I have a few dresses and skirts that I absolutely love that are more dressy and quite a few pairs of heels, wedges, and some gladiator sandals to pair with them, but that's it.

Basically: Yo homegurl needs a major swag boost (lol)

BF gets paid en la maņana so we're going shopping after he gets out of class for the day. Old Navy is my kind of go-to place atm since they're on the more affordable side and they're clothes are sized more normally ...

SO. Tips, advice, etc! I'm trying to move towards a more "dress my age /classier" style, though I soon as I fit back into my mini skirts, I'll probably live in them and dresses this Summer... I kinda feel like I shouldn't, but at the same time, people think I'm 20 when they meet me, so I can get away with it.

Thanks! <3

Shorty
02-26-2014, 12:15 AM
The Dainty Squid (http://www.thedaintysquid.com/) is my motivation for personal style. Everything I see her wearing is something that I could see belonging to my wardrobe or something that I want in my wardrobe. The only thing I really have an intolerance for is stupidly cute cartoony animal patterns and print. And I have this exact same dress! (in four different colors, including the red)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4-T69mefXV8/UoFyNLzvztI/AAAAAAAAbbc/xRQhJilcg70/s1600/IMG_3207+copy.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QkfRvGGN-Rc/UrIxCz4OGII/AAAAAAAAcaQ/ESKReYrXj9U/s1600/IMG_3214+copy.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fLw2acNSUSo/UlNN4KPSRLI/AAAAAAAAaXM/V_mEJK3AyBU/s1600/IMG_5378+copy.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N-16VS89tC8/UdCCxMdkqVI/AAAAAAAAX74/eucq819ILNY/s1600/IMG_4350+copy.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i863FUhsR0c/UX--AkFz1FI/AAAAAAAAWIs/8jXEXoc0ZBA/s1600/IMG_7770+copy.jpg

I want all of thee outfits ;________________________;

I wear a cardigan with almost everything, and despite my stupid collection of high heels, I mostly wear flats. I need more oxfords, I only have high heeled ones. :( I like to get pretty and wear dresses and skirts in the summer, but I'm lazy and get cold easily in the winter and usually stick to skinny pants, a shirt and cardigan, and flats.

Modcloth (http://www.modcloth.com/) is perhaps my favorite online store encompassing mass-produced shoes, clothing, and accessories. Etsy is great, but I feel like for anything other than scarves or some unique clothing item, Etsy is often too expensive. I also like Unique Vintage (http://www.unique-vintage.com/) and Plastic Land (http://www.shopplasticland.com/), and Iron Fist shoes (http://www.heels.com/shoe-brand/iron-fist).

noxious.sunshine
02-26-2014, 12:21 AM
well yeah, i know -that-, but I'm not the biggest fashionista so I'm not that great at pulling an outfit together that's more than just a pair of jeans and a basic shirt or some sort. Forget about accessorizing other than my Pandora bracelet and the bracelets my daughter made me.. My sister is the one with all the style in the family.

Shorty
02-26-2014, 12:31 AM
You say you like basic - basic can be really good and easy to work with if you just add an accent piece to your outfit somehow. A big belt, a bright scarf, some flashy shoes, a big necklace. And I'm a sucker for the t-shirt and jeans with the casual blazer look. I don't care if it's hipster as trout, I freaking love it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbdjlnCsbC1qa3sufo1_500.jpg

http://cdn.chicisimo.com/thumbs/files/2011/09/zara-blazers-74~look-main-single.jpg

Shorty
02-26-2014, 12:58 AM
She does a bunch of poses. Those were just the ones I selected to show her outfits.

starlet
02-26-2014, 02:46 AM
I mostly wear crappy jeans and a t-shirt because all I do is work so....

When Im not working I wear a lot of black. Basically mix corporate goth, nerd trinkets and oddities, and a pinch of japan....that about sums up my style, I think :D

Pumpkin
02-26-2014, 03:45 AM
I have no style. I wear clothes that I like that hardly ever match. Seems to be a lot of black pants, a few pairs of jeans, some t-shirts with horizontal stripes, some nerdy zelda/kirby type shirts.... and that's about it. Some comfy pants, also.

escobert
02-26-2014, 05:00 AM
if it's during the weeks I'm usually in some Carhartt pants, a stained ripped up t shirt and a carhartt hoodie. Weekends if I bother getting dressed and am not doing work of any sorts I'll just wear some levi jeans and a random TV show/video game t shirt.

Freya
02-26-2014, 05:21 AM
I would have a more distinct style if A) I had more money to buy clothes b) I was happy in clothes I think look cute but I'm not a fan of how it fits on my body type currently

I bounce all over the place with my style. I have to be in the mood for certain styles.

you know who has a great sense of style and posts awesome things to pinterest? Aulayna.

Night Fury
02-26-2014, 06:04 AM
For a style overhaul, and a wardrobe update, I tend to go now for pieces that are more classic and considered 'wardrobe staples' I think you can build a pretty good wardrobe around your staples.

My top 5 wardrobe staples are:
1. A good blazer/jacket - can wear it from day to night and they can jazz up anything and flatter everyone

2. Well fitting skinny jeans - seriously, jeans are hard for me because I have such a ridonk badonk and hips and skinny pinny legs, so I like Levis custom fit. But a good pair of skinny jeans will never go out of style.

3. A Teadress - by teadress, I mean a cute, fitted dress with a nice floaty skirt. Flattering for everyone, and so very feminine. I absolutely HATE bodycon usually, so all I've been buying are dresses like this. You can have them in prints or plain, with longer or shorter skirts. But it's always good to have 1 (or 10 in my case)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc0bw7TB8S1rq8uv8o1_500.jpg

4. A loose fit sweater - these are effortlessly chic, comfy for in the house or out and about. I love them.
http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/rz30j7-l-610x610-sweater-colorful-off-the-shoulder-loose-fitting-stripped-sweater-cute-sweater-clothes-shirt-stripes-most-wanted.jpg

5. Sexy boots. Sexy boots don't have to touch the knee or thigh. I'm in LOVE with those boots with the little gaps in. But yeah, I adore a nice pair of ankle boots.

noxious.sunshine
02-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Skinny jeans are hard for me to pull off atm cuz I'm an "apple" shape, I guess.. - I have smaller legs and a larger upper half. It evens out more when I love weight, but it still remains the same- my legs will always be smaller than my upper half. BUTI do have a pair simply because they're easier to tuck into my boots...

I absolutely love all of the pics of different styles posted, but again, it's hard for me to pull off any of them.. I love the idea of loose sweaters off the shoulder with skinny jeans, but because of the way my body is proportioned right now, sweaters have a nasty habit of making me look larger than I am- they add bulk when/where I don't need it. Pair skinny jeans with that and I probably look even worse....

You suck, Locky. You got Dat Ass and I'm jelly major. :D

But I absolutely agree with you on the "staples" rule 100% ..

It's just hard trying to branch out from what I normally wear, and that's what I want. But at the same time, I know what fits my body type.. It's very rare that I have to try something on- I can usually tell if it's gonna fit right off the bat or not.

IDK.. It's kind of stressing me out because of all of these things.. It may not seem like much to y'all, and normally, I wouldn't give a chuck.. But this is a whole new ball game for me. I'm a total fish out of water here. I just want to be more polished and put together for here in general..

IDK- sorry if that's confusing or contradictory to anything anyone's said.. It just stresses me out a bit.. I'm in New York chucking City, though... Of -course- I want to work on being one of the Beautiful People.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Oh man. I used to have a style. I can't really pull it off here in North Carolina though.
Right now I basically wear jeans and band tees with a sweatshirt when needed. And my hat. But I left my hat in Florida, so I need a new one.

In San Diego I would do the jeans and a nice button up long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows. Throw in a clean solid black or white pair of shoes and do my hair up a little and I looked goooood.
If I wasn't wearing that I was wearing shorts and a v neck tee with flip flop sandals. Hair again done up a tidbit. I might substitute a rolled up pair of jeans for the shorts sometimes. I liked to turn them into capri-esk pants.

Tigmafuzz
02-27-2014, 09:11 AM
I typically wear clothes that fit.

Usually a shirt and pants.

Sometimes socks.

That's about it.

Aulayna
02-27-2014, 03:45 PM
As Freya said, I'll just link my Pinterest.

Outfits | Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/ashliiful/outfits/)

(this would be the type of stuff I'd wear if I wasn't super poor a lot of the time xD)

Night Fury
02-28-2014, 01:51 AM
You are a beautiful person, Noxy.

However big you think you are, I assure you you probably aren't!

Night Fury
02-28-2014, 02:19 AM
This!

I've had a little weight gain recently, and I'm always like "Omg I feel so big, I'm huuuuge!" etc etc. I think us girls are really hard on ourselves when it comes to our weight and appearance. But now I just dress a little differently - and actually I quite like it. I feel a bit sexier now when I'm wearing the right outfit that accentuates the right bits. Damn :p

Also, I just got a new job and I've already made an ASOS wishlist xD

Fonzie
02-28-2014, 02:45 AM
My style goes a little like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ANZ8Osnz4) :queeblo:

Shiny
02-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Winter & Fall: sweaters and cardigan sweaters -- I have a whole armoire dedicated to sweaters. As for shoes: boots. I have mostly Steve Madden boots.

Spring & Summer: v necks and if my bf gets his way and I lose this 6 lbs I've gained, crop tops. As for shoes I'll typically do slip ons that are cute. I loathe most sandals or really anything going between my toes.

Araciel
03-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Pants and a hat.

noxious.sunshine
03-02-2014, 04:46 AM
awww locky & shawty! <3

I got a couple new pair of jeans, stocked up on thos wife-beatery tank tops made for girls, and this really cute silk button down shirt that ties at the bottom & a linen-type material tank top thats kinda that babydoll style (baggy) for spring/summer @ Old Navy & today, my new ugg type boots from JustFab came in today ... omg they're SO stinking comfy and cute.. They're black w a faux fur lining & a bow near the top on the outside.. And I picked up a new sweater at Target today.

There's a dress I want to order soon- hopefully I'll get to!
Next month, my bf is gonna buy me a new Coach purse since I lost 1 of mine today on the train with everything in it.. 1 of the ones I have still is too bulky to bother with getting through the gate to get to the train and the other is small and more for spring/summer..

There's more I wanna get , obviously, but this was a really good start for now... Plus! I coloured my hair this afternoon and it looks really good!

Night Fury
03-02-2014, 05:13 AM
:D Post some pics of your new outfits and hair! I'm also currently dying my hair. I would like to take this moment to thank whoever it was who invented the mousse hair dyes. THANK YOU YOU ARE A GOD.

Shorty
03-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Mousse hair dyes? Say what now?

Night Fury
03-02-2014, 05:21 AM
They're hair dyes that you just pump out as a mousse! Haven't you seen them? They're wonderful I've been using them for a couple of years now!

J_4GxjUq2lA

Shorty
03-02-2014, 05:29 AM
No, I've never seen those anywhere! Then again, I don't really look around much at the beauty supply shops I visit, I just head straight for the aisle I need.

Fonzie
03-02-2014, 05:37 AM
This thread should be transferred to the woman's sub-forum. :colbert:

noxious.sunshine
03-02-2014, 05:24 PM
I've seen mousse hair color! I want very much to try it, but idk..

It takes 2 boxes of color to dye my hair properly and I always just do it the same- Garnier Nutrisse hair color in Sangria (Medium Reddish Brown), leave in for 7 minutes instead of 20 or 30 so it doesn't get crazy intense dark or purple looking.. I actually shampooed my hair once after rinsing out all of the dye just to be on the safe side. lol

I have quite a few pics I need to poast that I've racked up in NYC and now add on the outfits I got .. lol

Fonzie: We need a women's sub-forum period. mwahahaha. So we can gossip and giggle about the boiz mostly.

starlet
03-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Fonzie: We need a women's sub-forum period. mwahahaha. So we can gossip and giggle about the boiz mostly.

WHY IS THIS NOT A THING IMMEDIATELY...

Shorty
03-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Because then the dudes will want their own pervy mancave forum as well and we can't have that.

noxious.sunshine
03-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Of course we can!

We can be the ... She-Woman Man Haters' Club! XD

ANYWHO .. Back on topic.. Kinda.. These boots I got from JustFab (the very first pair I ordered, actually).. I know I posted a pic of them- the ones that don't fit over my calves 'cuz the muscles are so big and they pinch my feet even though I'm a size 6 and they're a size 6? I gifted them to the roommate we have left today.. I'm major sad panda about it 'cuz they're extremely cute and I love them to bits, but they'll never fit me properly.. So I had her try them on (she's like 2 inches shorter than me and has smaller legs) and they fit her perfectly.. I'm happy that they've gone to a new home and are able to be worn, I just hope she puts good use into them & wears them a lot..

Sephex
03-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Fonzie: We need a women's sub-forum period.

Eyes on Periods? We already have Eyes on Each Other. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I know what you meant, but I wanted to take that pot shot at the sub forum.

starlet
03-03-2014, 09:49 PM
....Thanks Sephex. Thanks for pissing all over my hopes and dreams. I'm going to go eat a bunch of chocolate and cry about being fat now!

Shiny
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
This thread should be transferred to the woman's sub-forum. :colbert:

How about I transfer yo face? Ohhhhhhhh!

Would you like that?

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I liked face off

Anyway just dress comfortably unless you know you're going to see someone you want to boink in which case you should see the people they're "definitely not checking out" (:shifty:) and imitate their style of clothing. That's what I do anyway

Jess
03-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Skinny jeans. Cute tops. Cardigans. Oversized jumpers. Pencil skirts. Skater dresses. Peplum tops. Boots. Converse.

I love love love skinny jeans. I have like 8 pairs.

Shorty
03-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I used to be anti-skinny jeans, but now I love them. I'll never go back to anything else.

Having short legs is a nightmare to find pants that fit just right for that aren't too high or too low. Skinny jeans just crinkle up around my ankles if they're too long or I can fold them up if I need to. Problem solved!

Jess
03-04-2014, 09:31 PM
I was the same, I used to wear bootleg jeans but I can't wear them now...they just look weird on me.

I started on standard skinny jeans, but I have recently converted to high waisted. They're so much more comfortable & I think they're more flattering. :jess:

Jiro
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I need to buy some new shorts so I feel less fat oh man

Calliope
03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
I would describe my style as currently something like, "Ellen Degeneres pretending to be a librarian in a hipster town". Jeans, docs, striped tops or band shirts, plain jersey/cardigan, blazer/pleather jacket, cropped hair, bold spectacles/lipstick, beanie, minimal other makeup or jewellery. Slowly replacing the band shirts with collared ones, still on the lookout for some decent vegan oxford shoes.

black orb
03-06-2014, 03:20 AM
>>> Something like this..

52360:luca: