PDA

View Full Version : Ruined a character for you ?

maybee
02-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Has anybody ruined a character for you ? You really liked, no loved this character, but in someway somebody ruins that joy that you have for that character, like that person made you step on glass without really knowing ?

I had a friend, ages ago, About 2004- 2005 that really liked and enjoyed Sasuke from Naruto, this was before his infamous betrayed and turning into a dickweed. She loved to role play online, and had a crush on a friend of hers in real life, that would role play Naruto characters with her online, but mostly Sasuke, because she loved that character so much, and he wanted to please her.

However long story short, the guy turned out to be a total dickhead, and even made threats to stalk her, which made things between them, extremely creepy and not fun and games anymore.

She stopped seeing the guy, and hanging around with him, and she just couldn't handle to like Sasuke, not even one bit. During Sasuke's betrayal, she was never happier.

For myself, there is a few ask the character things online, there used to be more, but a few of the popular ones are still around. I asked this " character " a question, about a month ago, only to get a reply 3 weeks later, only to get a answer like " are you fucking dumb " ?

I still don't know how to feel about the character anymore, but it, for sure feels like the love is leaving.

What about you ?

Ayen
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
No. Can't say I ever had a character ruined for me.

Del Murder
02-26-2014, 08:19 PM
When they 'die' and get replaced with some shapeshifter/replica who is secretly evil. JJ Abrams shows are notorious for this. It's nice to keep the actor still involved after their character is whacked but it really ruins everything that character meant on the show to reduce them to some plot point.

I also don't like when an actor leaves a show and they just find some way to kill the character off even if it had nothing to do with the original plans. There's other ways to make the character leave the plot which don't involve having them meet some tragic end.

Big D
02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Russell T. Davies tried really hard to ruin Rose from Doctor Who for me.

In the series two finale, 'Doomsday', Rose gets a perfect send-off. And I mean perfect. Of all the ways a character arc could end, this one was heroic, bittersweet and genuinely heartbreaking.

But when Davies subsequently brought the character back, she returned as some sort of hybrid of bad retcon and poor fanfic. It's like he tried his damndest to undermine the original ending outlined in the spoiler tags above, and this happened during a run of episodes that reduced Rose's character, and almost the series itself, to little more than self-parody.

I'm still convinced that Davies was actually trying to ruin the show before his depature from the series writer position - tossing his toys out of the crib, as it were, to leave nothing for his successors.

Despite these frustrations, though, the end to 'Doomsday' is still damned good and gets me every time. Even the subsequent attempts at character ruination simply don't have the strength to dilute that original ending's impact for me.

And on a totally different note:

As a child, I thought William T. Riker was the bee's knees. Re-watching Star Trek: The Next Generation as an adult, I realise he's actually quite creepy and almost a borderline sex offender. Many female fans of the show - those who're meant to find Riker irresistable - feel exactly the same.

That's not so much a character being 'ruined', as me gaining a different perspective by becoming quite a lot older and a tiny bit more mature over the years.

Crop
02-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Yes. Any FFVII character brought back in The Compilation.

Del Murder
02-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm halfway through season 3 of TNG and I'm not getting any sort of sex-offender vibe from Riker. He's actually been quite awesome. Does he get worse?

Big D
02-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm halfway through season 3 of TNG and I'm not getting any sort of sex-offender vibe from Riker. He's actually been quite awesome. Does he get worse?The series got immeasurably better when Riker grew his beard, but his character starts to get increasingly dubious. Give him time.

Edit:

The series still basically treats him like the embodiment of manly manliness, though. After all, Gene Roddenberry intended him to be Kirk's spiritual successor in that regard. But every so often, a character will actually call him out on his skeeziness.

Edit the second: see also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJvpA34eIn4

sir helix
02-27-2014, 03:59 AM
The cover of resident evil six was ruined for me after a friend told me it looked like a dude doing special gifts to a giraffe

maybee
02-27-2014, 04:04 AM
The cover of resident evil six was ruined for me after a friend told me it looked like a dude doing special gifts to a giraffe

So I'm not the only one who though that, interesting 8D

I also don't like when an actor leaves a show and they just find some way to kill the character off even if it had nothing to do with the original plans. There's other ways to make the character leave the plot which don't involve having them meet some tragic end.

Yeah, agree, this situation pretty much sucks.

Lonely Paper Star
02-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm tired of Lightning. Just let her go, Toriyama. :T (http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/15/5414152/final-fantasy-13s-lightning-could-appear-in-future-titles)

I also don't like the direction the GoT showrunners went with some of the ASOIAF characters.

Shorty
02-27-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm tired of Lightning. Just let her go, Toriyama. :T (http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/15/5414152/final-fantasy-13s-lightning-could-appear-in-future-titles)

It needs to stop. It's absurd. Just create an entire branch-off series. I don't understand why they cannot expand their horizons! PUT HER TO AN END NO SHE IS NOT AN EXTREMELY POPULAR CHARACTER

Aladdin was ruined for my by finding out who played his voice. DJ's boyfriend is considerably less handsome than Aladdin. Spike Spiegel is also much more attractive than Steve Blum.

This is why I no longer go looking into what voice actors look like. It takes away the magic.

Skyblade
02-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Caius Ballad was ruined for me by the secret ending of FFXIII-2. I never really liked his character, but at least it had some depth. Until they took that all away by making him survive the end. The destruction of Etro's heart (which was apparently enough to kill her) didn't do anything to him, and he is just sitting on a throne reveling in the destruction of everything. What the hell. The entire point of his story was to put an end to the eternal life that both he and Yeul had. Making him survive that just turned him into a cartoon villain with no depth or substance.

maybee
02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Oh god no

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgojfrJ1iQ1qzdh9k.gif

Del Murder
02-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Caius Ballad was ruined for me by the secret ending of FFXIII-2. I never really liked his character, but at least it had some depth. Until they took that all away by making him survive the end. The destruction of Etro's heart (which was apparently enough to kill her) didn't do anything to him, and he is just sitting on a throne reveling in the destruction of everything. What the hell. The entire point of his story was to put an end to the eternal life that both he and Yeul had. Making him survive that just turned him into a cartoon villain with no depth or substance.
I agree. That ending sucked.

Mercen-X
03-02-2014, 05:19 AM
I didn't think I'd be able to name any character but...

Batman: originally, a decent character based on a cool idea... then camp Adam West Batman came along... then Tim Burton's Batman shot some life back into the franchise... then Batman's suit grew nipples... then Christopher Nolan gave us the darker and edgier Batman we'd all longed for... and now he's Ben Affleck. I give up.

Vyk
03-03-2014, 06:41 AM
They've been trying real hard for years to do it to Sonic..

Mercen-X
03-15-2014, 08:03 AM
I don't like Sonic anymore.

Psychotic
03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Advent Children and Cloud. He was never a gigantic bucket of self-indulgent emo in the game. In the game, Cloud was often the straight man to the insanity unfolding all around him. Yeah he had a brief spirit quest but beyond that he was either a gigantic dick to people being idiots or having a god damn laugh - going cross dressing, diving into hot tubs with gay men or doing random stupid poses everywhere.

Vyk
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Funny thing is, everyone saw Cloud as the self-indulgent emo long before the movie came about. Not sure where it came from, because you're right. He was pretty gruff in the game

Big D
03-15-2014, 10:43 PM
That's probably got a lot to do with how Cloud changed toward the end of the game, and what likely happened to him in the aftermath. He got way more sombre and self-doubting after his experiences in the Lifestream, when he realised that most of his adult memories were delusion. He blamed himself for an awful lot that had happened, and once it was all over I can easily see him sliding into a funk of regret and purposelessness.

Considering everything he went through, and everything the world went through, I'd have found Advent Children a lot harder to swallow if Cloud had been a happy little wellspring of joy.

Vyk
03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
I think I'd agree. Which reminds me; I still need to watch the newer release of Advent Children that people seem to not hate quite as much. I forget even what they added to make it more palatable to everyone

Mercen-X
03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I own both versions and I'm hard-pressed to identify the differences. Some altered scene placements. Perhaps one extra scene that was slightly better than the theatrical version. Also, Omnislash V"6"... seriously...

Kalevala
03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm having a hard time thinking of any examples. Even if a writer completely drops the ball in subsequent releases I think the sanctity of the character is somehow preserved. That's not to say it doesn't suck, but to completely ruin a loved character? That's no easy feat.

Skyblade
03-17-2014, 01:49 AM
That's probably got a lot to do with how Cloud changed toward the end of the game, and what likely happened to him in the aftermath. He got way more sombre and self-doubting after his experiences in the Lifestream, when he realised that most of his adult memories were delusion. He blamed himself for an awful lot that had happened, and once it was all over I can easily see him sliding into a funk of regret and purposelessness.

Considering everything he went through, and everything the world went through, I'd have found Advent Children a lot harder to swallow if Cloud had been a happy little wellspring of joy.

Except that I feel that, by the end of the game, he moves out of that. Honestly, I don't even think it lasts that long after the Lifestream incident. He pulls out of it (or is pulled out of it, rather) fairly quickly.

"Alright people, let's mosey."

Not the words of a super depressed individual.

The problem is, the fanbase got so obsessed with the Lifestream moment (because it was, admittedly, an utterly fantastic character moment) that it overwhelmed Cloud's actual personality.

Big D
03-17-2014, 04:58 AM
But on top of everything that happened in the game, he was also left with a world in ruins, a dead friend, and a freakin' terminal illness - I really can't fault the man for being a bit of a sad sack after enduring all that.

Skyblade
03-17-2014, 06:20 AM
But on top of everything that happened in the game, he was also left with a world in ruins, a dead friend, and a freakin' terminal illness - I really can't fault the man for being a bit of a sad sack after enduring all that.

Except that it's a step backward in his personal development arc, which makes it poor storytelling, and it's incredibly boring, which makes for poor entertainment.

Also, let's ignore the terminal illness. And everything else that came out of the Compilation. Let's judge him by his appearance in FFVII, where his mopey, emo personality really feels out of character by the end. The world is shown to be on an upward path from the first time since Shinra started. His relationships are genuinely positive (even the Aerith one ends on an upward note compared to what it had been earlier). And he is finally restored back to being the sane, awesome dude that was fun to be around. Why throw all of that away?

black orb
03-19-2014, 11:49 PM
>>> Can`t think of anything right now..:luca:

About the FF7 compilation, Sephiroth suffered the most.

Bad ass Sephiroth

Lame Yaoi Sephiroth

Yeah, he is not scary anymore.