PDA

View Full Version : Shmups

Scotty_ffgamer
02-27-2014, 06:22 AM
What are your favorite shoot 'em up games? Or do you even like this genre at all?

I've been really in the mood for these games lately for some reason despite not having much experience with them. The only ones I've really played are Gradius for the NES and Aero Blasters for the Turbo Grafx-16 (which was one of my favorite games as a kid).

Edit: As a side note, I wrote the title to this thread as "Shlup" about several times before I wrote the write word.

Endless
02-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Ikaruga. And now it's on Steam! Go play it >:o (http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/)

Bubba
02-27-2014, 10:37 AM
I love old school shoot-em-ups. My favourites are probably Axelay, R-Type, 1942 and Starfox 64.

Axelay blew me away the most when I was a kid though. It looked freakin' awesome back in 1992.

Bolivar
02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Favorite all time might be Galaga since my Dad got me into it.

But right now it's all about the reigning king: Resogun!

Slothy
02-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Ikaruga. And now it's on Steam! Go play it >:o (http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/)

Ikaruga is on Steam! Fuck yeah!

Skyblade
02-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Galaga

Majestic Twelve, which is apparently also known as Space Invaders Part 4.

Mo-Nercy
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Not a huge fan of the genre. Rez is the awesome exception.

Ayen
02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the world of bullet hell.

Q29LTTo5jLE

I haven't played much of this genre, but I plan to review Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil in May. May God have mercy on my soul.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Favorite all time might be Galaga since my Dad got me into it.

But right now it's all about the reigning king: Resogun!

I want Resogun so bad. As in, there's always a part of me saying "Hey Scott, go buy a PS4 right this minute so you can download and play this game."

Bolivar
02-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's still free on PS4, along with a lot of other titles. $400 might be a lot for one game but there is a ton of free stuff to do on the system, like the FFXIV beta :D

Scotty_ffgamer
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm still resisting buying the PS4 thankfully :D. I did already have Resogun tied to my account with PS+ though, so it will be one of the first things I download whenever I do eventually get the PS4.

Bolivar
02-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Nice!

Speaking of PS+ and shmups, another Housemarque masterpiece will be free next month: the PS4 version of Dead Nation!

black orb
03-04-2014, 05:12 PM
>>> Sonic wings..:luca:

Botchmun
03-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Touhou. Do you even loli shooter?

Sephex
03-06-2014, 02:53 AM
I like this genre, but I hate the genre name. I also suck at them.

For the rest of my reply I will only go as long as the average time I la

black orb
03-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Touhou. Do you even loli shooter?
>>> Soil my hands playing a PC game?? no thanks..:luca:

Ultima Shadow
03-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Touhou. Though I have to admit I don't play the actual bullet hell games quite as much as I used to. I've moved more towards the fighting games and random doujin titles such as:

-Touhouvania/Koumajou Densetsu (ridiculously well-done Castlevania and Touhou crossover)

-Touhou Bomberman/Detonate on Sound (best party game ever and several times more hilarious than any actual bomberman title)

-Megamari (classic megaman on steroids... except with Touhou characters)
...as well as a few others.

But I still love the bullet hell titles, "Perfect Cherry Blossom" and "Subterranean Animism" being my overall favourites in the series.

I haven't played much of this genre, but I plan to review Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil in May. May God have mercy on my soul.

Flandre is looking forward to make your acquaintance. Assuming you can actually beat her sister on Normal, that is. :greenie:

Touhou is worth it!

black orb
03-06-2014, 06:27 PM
>>> Whats the deal with Touhou the ridiculous amount of music albums out there? (in fact I discovered "Touhou" just because of the music)
The are so many of them is crazy. I still like its music though..:luca:

Botchmun
03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Touhou. Though I have to admit I don't play the actual bullet hell games quite as much as I used to. I've moved more towards the fighting games and random doujin titles such as:

-Touhouvania/Koumajou Densetsu (ridiculously well-done Castlevania and Touhou crossover)

-Touhou Bomberman/Detonate on Sound (best party game ever and several times more hilarious than any actual bomberman title)

-Megamari (classic megaman on steroids... except with Touhou characters)
...as well as a few others.

But I still love the bullet hell titles, "Perfect Cherry Blossom" and "Subterranean Animism" being my overall favourites in the series.

I'm trying to track down that one Touhou game where you play as Cirno and gain bonus points by freezing enemy bullets.

Flandre is looking forward to make your acquaintance. Assuming you can actually beat her sister on Normal, that is. :greenie:

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to Tori's pain. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I'M GOING TO SAVOR TORI'S TEARS!

Touhou is worth it!

Now now, console gamers have their place. I mean, where else am I going to rest my feet when I'm playing my PC games?

>>> Whats the deal with Touhou the ridiculous amount of music albums out there? (in fact I discovered "Touhou" just because of the music)

Touhou games are generally made by just one guy, and he mixes all the music himself. The highlight of the games are, in fact, the music.

Ultima Shadow
03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to track down that one Touhou game where you play as Cirno and gain bonus points by freezing enemy bullets.

Great Fairy Wars, right? It's pretty darn awesome.

The music is part of it, but the Touhou series also have my favourite shmup games from a gameplay perspective. It especially has a good amount of really fun and intense boss battles. And while the in-game dialouges are rarely very informative, there is also quite a lot of interesting lore and backstory to a lot of the things if you just dig a bit.

Yuyuko/the final boss of Touhou 7 is probably one of my top 10 favourite final bosses of all time. Mostly because of how insanely intense and atmospheric her final spellcard/attack pattern is. And if you add the whole backstory with Saigyou Ayakashi, that part of the battle just becomes even more epic.

Similary, I also think Utsuho Reiuji is right up there among my top 10 favourite final bosses. Her boss battle fits the character so perfectly. You are fighting against a person from hell who has obtained the powers of a sun god. And during the entire battle, it actually really feels like just that. She fills the screen with giant fireballs and even small suns in a way that just prefectly displays her power.

...and then there are all the actually awesome, countless fanon things that has spawned from these games. =D