PDA

View Full Version : Best PC Video player available!

NeoCracker
03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
I recall always having good quality with DivX in the past, though with my New PC and desire to be a bit more optimized in my PC experience then in the past, I ask you, fellow EoFFers, what is the best Video player available for the PC, or at the very least what are your preferences and why?

Shauna
03-01-2014, 10:15 AM
I flip flop between MPC and VLC depending on what is working best at the time. At the moment, it is MPC - it is good for anime watching. :3

Endless
03-01-2014, 11:42 AM
On my PC: VLC. On my Raspberry Pi: OpenElec (XBMC) (http://openelec.tv/).

Mirage
03-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I use MPC with CCCP and rarely (if ever) encounter problems.

It's non-intrusive and doesn't change more than it has to, and the player is minimalistic and straight to the point.

blackmage_nuke
03-02-2014, 02:27 AM
VLC unless I want special video filtering for whatever reason. Then MPC

Jiro
03-02-2014, 02:38 AM
I didn't realise there was a point to anything other than VLC. I will have to check these other ones out.

CimminyCricket
03-02-2014, 02:56 AM
I use vlc exclusively, but that's because I didn't know about the others.

Jessweeee♪
03-02-2014, 03:22 AM
VLC! That little cone.

Casey
03-02-2014, 07:07 AM
VLC wins.

Mirage
03-02-2014, 01:28 PM
i actually hate vlc

WildRaubtier
03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
youtube

Vyk
03-02-2014, 02:56 PM
VLC is a little wonky at first, but easy to get used to. MPC is retro and requires a codec pack, but after CCCP you wouldn't need much else. And as stated, it's small, straight forward, and gets the job done without a bunch of unnecessary extras. But they've both been around for years. I haven't heard of anyone new trying to take the crown. VLC is mostly only good because it generally can decode anything straight out of the box without any need for codec installs. But if I remember correctly, MediaPlayerClassic still does a search-and-install just like regular Media Player so even if/when you run into any issues after CCCP is loaded, it may not be a hassle. So I guess it's all about personal preferences

Mirage
03-02-2014, 03:25 PM
VLCs codecs aren't always perfect either, and for MPC you would basically get it as part of a codec pack like CCCP. I just update CCCP, not MPC. In the last 5 years, I haven't encountered anything I can't play with CCCP and their bundled MPC.

You have to update both to keep up with current developments. Updating CCCP is no harder than to update VLC. Both are basically like three clicks to update and that's it. CCCP checks for updates regularly too, and tells you when there is one available.

VLC has everything built in, but CCCP is also a single file download with everything you need, and configures itself automatically, so the two aren't very functionally different there. CCCP should also work flawlessly on any system that doesn't already have a real clusterfuck of codecs installed already (most people don't), and unless you do a lot of video editing and such, I doubt you'll run into any problems.

Shiny
03-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Vlc plays pretty much every codec. I use that with my Mac.

Shorty
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM
GOM Player.

Rantz
03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
I use GOM player but VLC has a little santa hat around the Christmas period. So there's that.

DMKA
03-05-2014, 03:40 PM
VCL or Media Player Classic.

The DivX player is, and always has been, one of the worst media players I've ever used, quite frankly, especially if you're doing anything that implements ffdshow functions.

Even as a codec, Xvid, it's open-source clone, is still vastly superior and user friendly to DivX. Though I'm more of an H.264/AVC via MP4 guy these days when it comes to encodes. :p