PDA

View Full Version : Treat yoself!

Shorty
03-04-2014, 12:16 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HnYkJe1mVmM/Tq4Dd3-ABcI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/xLsEcNnOYq4/s1600/tumblr_lt6mefUkr41qhtd0co1_500.gif

24 Dates To Take Yourself On | Thought Catalog (http://thoughtcatalog.com/christopher-hudspeth/2013/03/24-dates-to-take-yourself-on/)

This weekend I am taking myself on a date! I'm going get a massage, order some nice Thai takeout, go to see The Grand Budapest Hotel, stop by the Coldstone in the cinema plaza afterward for some awesome mint brownie ice cream, and maybe pick up some gin (or wine!) on my way home.

As much as I enjoy going to the movies with others (when they don't constantly interrupt my immersion!) and being able to discuss the film aferward, I've made peace with going by myself in the last few years. And before I go, I'm going to do what every smart person does and go to the smurfing grocery store to get snacks to hide in my duffel-sized purse because smurf spending $15 on popcorn, candy, or soda.

When is the last time you did something for yourself? Do more things for yourself! You deserve it!

PS: #22 is what I do every weekend anyway. The binge show-watching, that is.

Shiny
03-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Ah, #3...when I was super sick I watched what I used to watch as a little kid when I'd stay home sick from school. I watched an entire episode of Bear in the Big Blue House and it was glorious. #4 I did last Friday. I stayed at a 4 star hotel and got the best sleep ever. #14 is a two times a year thing. I love donating coats especially. My favorite date activity is to binge watch things on netflix hbo go or Verizon fios but lately I've been actually watching things with people more and that's fun.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Once I have a car I'll do more stuff, but int he house I lived at this summer I would walk to the used game store that was a mile from my house to buy a movie to have a movie night with myself that weekend. At that point I was often watching stuff by myself since my roommate was gone most of the time. All DVDs were only 2 dollars, and it was glorious. I got so many good movies there.

Binge show-watching I do frequently. Looking at that list, I can say that I do enjoy sometimes just sitting down for a day and trying to learn something new and have fun. I made a GIF on one of those days, started to learn piano for a few days, etc.

fire_of_avalon
03-04-2014, 01:31 AM
I just came in here to say "Fine leather goods."

I should do something fun. Maybe in a few years. I have to think about it.

Calliope
03-04-2014, 03:17 AM
I like to go for walks around my neighbourhood by myself. Stop in at my favourite cafe (last time I did this they gave me my order for free because I mentioned I was doing "birthday stuff" that weekend!), go to the record shop and really immerse myself in bargain hunting, linger in the antique stores and try to imagine the lives of people who owned those goods previously. I also enjoy watching documentaries and making art alone.

Jessweeee♪
03-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Once every other month or so I used to do this thing where I'd wake up really early and just feel really good for no reason. So I'd take a joint to the beach, smoke half of it, chill in front of the ocean, walk to this vegan restaurant that made awesome tea and avacado tacos, go home, turn my music up really loud, smoke the rest, do house work for a few hours, then go shopping and buy myself one really nice thing. I don't do that anymore because I no longer live alone. It's not that I can't do these things (well the joint bit I can't do with my job) it's just more ~magical~ when I'm alone with my thoughts.

starlet
03-04-2014, 03:30 AM
I do a lot of these things already. Being somewhat-recently single, I've had to re-learn how to have fun by myself anyway. Actually, I've kind of been doing some of these things the last few years anyway, just not as many. I haven't worked up the nerve to go to the bar by myself yet. Maybe I will soon! There's one within walking distance of me...

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I have never been to a cinema where you had to hide your snacks. Thats insane.
I prefer to go to the cinema with my friends but sometimes theres a movie I want to see and no one else does so I go by myself

A long drive is a risky decision. You may calm yourself after an hour on the open road but then when you're heading home and you get stuck in heavy stop-and-go traffic it just tenses you up completely and all that relaxation just goes to waste.

Bubba
03-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I used to enjoy getting drunk in the house on my own. Not just regular drunk, I mean pavement-licking kershnickered. It got to the point when I was so drunk I used to interview myself pretending that I'd become a huge rock star. I was actually slagging off Noel Gallagher in the interview because he was jealous about how successful I'd become.

I'm much more sensible these days though and a few beers in the house on my own is very pleasant.

Jess
03-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Today I spent £13 on a nice pair of leather ankle boots for work. They are cute and a total bargain because they were on sale! More than 50% off... winner!

And tonight, I'm allowing myself to have a beer on a work night. I'm having a crappy day. And a crappy week.

Jessweeee♪
03-04-2014, 11:54 PM

What amazing theater are you going to that doesn't allow anything but their own $5 fun-sized candies?!

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2014, 12:11 AM

What amazing theater are you going to that doesn't allow anything but their own $5 fun-sized candies?!

Every theater I've ever been in. Though tickets are like $14 minimum

Also your cinemas have their own special brand of candy? Ours just sell normal candy so even if they did ban outside snacks they have no way of knowing your bag of m&ms came from a store and not the cinema.

Jessweeee♪
03-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Also your cinemas have their own special brand of candy? Ours just sell normal candy so even if they did ban outside snacks they have no way of knowing your bag of m&ms came from a store and not the cinema.

No, it's the same candy sold in every store, but in a smaller size and much much more expensive like the rest of their concessions. $5 for bottled water. The theaters at my town won't allow you through the front door with food or beverages so you have to be sneaky. We have to hide it in a purse (no backpacks), in your pockets, or do what I do and shove it partway down your pants and hide it with your shirt like it's a gun.

Shorty
03-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Thank god for giant purses.

Araciel
03-05-2014, 04:17 AM
Date night with myself?

I'll spare you the handsy details.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Every night is treat myself night.

Jiro
03-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Every day is a day I date myself :aimsun:

I Took the Red Pill
03-06-2014, 01:12 PM

No, it's the same candy sold in every store, but in a smaller size and much much more expensive like the rest of their concessions. $5 for bottled water. The theaters at my town won't allow you through the front door with food or beverages so you have to be sneaky. We have to hide it in a purse (no backpacks), in your pockets, or do what I do and shove it partway down your pants and hide it with your shirt like it's a gun.As someone who worked in a movie theater for a couple of years, I can tell you that 99% of the workers don't give a smurf if you're bringing in outside food. I mean yeah, you should probably hide it in your purse/pockets/stomach folds just incase you run into the bitter old employee who's been there for 20+ years, but I never told anyone they couldn't bring food in. People would come in with Taco Bell or Subway every so often. One dude actually ordered a pizza to the theater once, which was incredibly impressive. My manager wouldn't let that one slide, but I can say with confidence that if she wasn't working I would've let the dude in no problem.

That was a fun time, though. We'd smoke joints in the theaters after closing and watch big films before their release dates. It was the perfect summer job in high school.

noxious.sunshine
03-07-2014, 04:39 PM
What? Candies in the movie theater aren't -smaller-, but they do come in an odd size and in slightly different packaging.. I think? IDK. I just get popcorn if Im getting something.

It's funny, Ive always been adamant about going to the Dollar Tree for snacks and drinks beforehand, but since dating Jay, he never listens to me and just buys popcorn and junk in the theater.

Anyway, date nights for me usually involve alcohol of some kind, being in chat, and watching t.v... And cooking yummy dinner even though I don't eat when it's done.

Shiny
03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I personally don't want to hear people making chewing and crunching noises when I'm trying to watch a movie. If I had my way all food would be banned; only slurpees would be allowed because slurpees are awesome.

Jiro
03-16-2014, 11:49 AM
I personally don't want to hear people making chewing and crunching noises when I'm trying to watch a movie. If I had my way all food would be banned; only slurpees would be allowed because slurpees are awesome.

ugh the sound of people slurping at a slurpee is like at least 1.5x worse

esp. when they get to the bottom

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 05:14 PM
I really wanted to treat myself to a lone visit to Manhattan this past Saturday. BF was supposed to drive his boys to Buffalo to do tattoos for some people and I was gonna force myself to get on the train and go just to get over my small fear of riding it & getting around more on my own..

But then my bf said "absolutely not" & then I fell and busted my tailbone & couldn't do anything at all.

Jiro
03-19-2014, 11:55 AM
I just eat loads of chocolate and do fuck all when I want to treat myself nowadays. Good feeling.

Iceglow
03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
In the UK it's a proven fact that whilst Cinema's prefer you to buy their own food and drink, there are no legally enforcable rules stating that you cannot bring your own. This little nugget of info does make going Cinema a bit cheaper.

I intend to buy some new trainers possibly this Friday, it all depends on whether I go out to see the friend of the barmaid I know.

Loony BoB
03-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I buy video games to treat myself. Sometimes I'll buy myself a nice meal, too, but given that Danielle and I live together and are married, it's generally a case that she gets to eat some of my nice meal, making it a date of sorts. But if I were to call ordering in a "date" then she would probably slap me. It's just two people being too lazy to cook dinner, and that's it.

When ordering the groceries, I get myself two litres of chocolate milk from Sainsburys and down it in a matter of hours upon it's arrival. This is definitely something I view as a treat.

The bigger things I buy in life are few and far between but always worth it. Most of them are for both Danielle and myself, though, so I suppose they don't apply to this self-dating kind of thing.

On sadly rare occasions I will be home alone and treat myself to a long phonecall to a random overseas person. :)