PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party!

Calliope
03-04-2014, 02:41 AM
So, as a late birthday celebration, I'm hosting a tea party this weekend where basically I'm just going to sit around at home making art, and a bunch of my local gal pals are invited to drop in if they want and also make art and eat tiny sandwiches and things. Here is my proposed menu:

Savoury Things
-Hummus
-Cheese (gasp! real cheese!)
-Crackers
-Various olives
-Cucumber sandwiches (originally I was going to make two or three kinds of club/tea sandwiches, until I realized how expensive and what a pain that would be)
-Carrot/Celery sticks (that great, cheap standard)

Sweet Things
-Cupcakes (Probably chocolate, and vanilla with orange icing, although I'm not set yet)
-Lemon cake
-Rosemary chocolate chip cookies
-Scones (I make the best scones!) with jam

Drinks
-Assorted teas (with sugar, agave nectar and almond milk)
-Wine (Riesling, and a red wine? Maybe I'll make sangria?)
-Hot toddies (the best!)
-Various juice/soda options

Am I missing anything? I'm starting to get excited, today I bought a vintage tiered treat stand, and ewok paper plates from 1983 :D

Shorty
03-04-2014, 04:05 AM
YES

YOU ARE MISSING smurfING COSTUMES

EVERYONE NEEDS TO ARRIVE IN COSTUMES

I would look up Game of Thrones recipes. Things like berry tarts would probably go really nicely.

ewok paper plates of my god in heaven

Nicky. Nicky, this is important. Please try to make some cucumber lemonade. You will not regret it.

Calliope
03-04-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm trying to keep this low key! I'll have a box of hats for my guests to choose from :hat:

It's not a GoT party, I've never seen/read the series.

Shorty
03-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Oh no, I wasn't implying that it was. Just that they have a lot of wonderful-sounding foods that might inspire some creative sides or something.

Calliope
03-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Oooh, I see! I'll take a look after work today, thanks :D

noxious.sunshine
03-07-2014, 03:43 AM
My ex has a stellar recipe for sangria, but it yields like 2 gallons or more and has a lot more liquor in it than just wine..

I can't remember what all he puts in it exactly, but I know that he uses:

- Red Rose Wine (A Gallon-sized jug of the cheaper stuff)
- Burgundy Wine (Again, Gallon Jug)
- E & J Brandy (Regular sized 750 mL bottle, I guess)
- Hennessy (Smaller bottle- like the size that's smaller than 750 mL.. IDK)
- Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Concentrate
- Welch's Frozen White Grape Juice (Cocktail?) Concentrate
- Sprite
- Orange Juice

Just mix it all up to your heart's content... Like I said, if you go by those measurements, you'll wind up with a ton of Sangria. But it's really good - make it the night before so that it can all have a chance to blend & meld together properly

Calliope
03-07-2014, 04:02 AM
Thanks! I'm going grocery shopping tonight or tomorrow, so will get sangria ingredients then - and I definitely want to have mixed it all together in time for it to have a day to rest.

I found a place online that makes vegan macarons, so I ordered some and they arrived today! However...they sent me someone else's order, so I'm stuck with dumb flavours like banana and green tea, and not much time to send anything back or get a replacement. We'll see what their customer service skills are like!

noxious.sunshine
03-07-2014, 05:09 AM
Haha! Yay!

.... I've never tried macaroons -_-;;; I feel like I should.

My sister picked up cupcakes from our favorite bakery in our neighborhood and nabbed a couple of pistachio coconut ones, a couple of chocolate mocha and just plain chocolate & vanilla... they were sooo yummy!!

Your party sounds mega fun, though!

Calliope
03-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks! The macaron people refunded my money, but let me keep the order - very nice of them!

I baked a cake and three batches of cupcakes, made sangria, prepped the scone mix, cleaned my silver and assembled my plastic (mmhmm!), prepared a basket of hats, bought some flowers, picked out a couple of dresses, did all the dishes, made a bunting banner, gathered some art supplies, took out the rubbish, arranged some flowers, rearranged my tea drawer, went to work, went out for a drink with a friend (not in that order). Tomorrow I need to vacuum, spot mop, make sandwiches and scones, assemble random other foodstuffs...and then it will be time for fun!

I should be asleep already though X_x;;;