PDA

View Full Version : Dankey Kang

Scotty_ffgamer
03-04-2014, 03:55 AM
So I just got Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for the Wii U. Has anyone else played it yet and what are your thoughts so far? For those that haven't, what has been your favorite game(s) in the series?

The first Donkey Kong Country was one of my favorite games to play when I was younger, and it will probably always be my favorite in the series.

Del Murder
03-04-2014, 06:46 AM
DKC was a great breakthrough for the big lovable ape who hadn't been relevant before that for like 15 years.

DKC2 was one of the best platformers of all time. A truly excellent game, surpassed only by Yoshi's Island on the SNES.

DKC3 was good but lives in the shadow of the first two.

DKC Returns was a great revitalization of the franchise and had some stunning visual backdrops and innovative levels on the Wii.

Haven't played Tropical Freeze but I hear it follows in DKC2's footsteps in surpassing the original in every way.

Shauna
03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I've played drips and drabs of the original trilogy. I remember being awful at them.

Matt and I recently played through DKC Returns together though, and it was brutal on two players. Losing lives at a ridiculous rate, certain jumps that only Diddy Kong could make... it was made to be a single player game with some tacked on multiplay, which was kind of rubbish. :(

We have Tropical Freeze, and we'll get round to it eventually.

Pike
03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
DKC2 was one of the best platformers of all time. A truly excellent game, surpassed only by Yoshi's Island on the SNES.

Pretty much this.

The best Donkey Kong, however?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Donkey_Kong_NES_Screenshot.png

Sephex
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Enjoyed the originals and I thought DKCR was a good throwback game. I think I'll get Tropical Freeze down the line when it is on sale like I did with DKCR.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Donkey Kong Country 1 or 2 will always be my favorite, but I would like a chance to try the newer one if I ever get Wii U.

The third DKC never did it for me. It was solid, but I never finished it. Maybe at that point it just felt too stale.

Donkey Kong 64 was pretty good from what I played, but it never gets any love.

Should I bother with Jungle Beat?

Scotty_ffgamer
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
I've honestly only played some form of the original arcade Donkey Kong (which is fantastic), Donkey Kong Country, some Donkey Kong 64, some DKC Returns, and some Tropical Freeze now.

I have Donkey Kong Country 2 downloaded on the Wii, but the controls using a gamecube controller are awkward to me, and it makes it less enjoyable. I need to get a classic controller or something.

Del Murder
03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
DK64 was good but I didn't include it since it wasn't a 2D platformer. I also remember beating it rather quickly as it was not very difficult.

Pike
03-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Donkey Kong 64 was pretty good from what I played, but it never gets any love.

I honestly wasn't a fan of that game. I mean it was okay, but I think that the Banjo-Kazooie games did that formula much better.

Dat Matt
03-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Matt and I recently played through DKC Returns together though, and it was brutal on two players. Losing lives at a ridiculous rate, certain jumps that only Diddy Kong could make... it was made to be a single player game with some tacked on multiplay, which was kind of rubbish. :(

Translation - "I am bad at Donkey Kong and Matt Was the King of Crazy Jumps". But Srs the game punished co-op play by losing double the lives. I got really good at the secret level #1 cause you could get 5+ lives for every run through and then coins which were added to the total.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-04-2014, 09:10 PM
I agree with Pike on Donkey Kong 64. I wasn't a big fan of it.