PDA

View Full Version : South Park and the Stick of Truth

Vyk
03-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Anyone else get this game today? I got it on a whim, reserved on a whim actually, and actually had the money to follow through with it. I intended to get it anyway. But not from GameStop. But I am completely and absolutely happy with this game. It is exactly what I was hoping it would be. The beginning's a little rough because combat is very reminiscent of Mario RPG games where you're interactive with your attacks. Hitting buttons to keep from getting as much damage, or hitting buttons to make your attacks effective at all. But the art style and animation and sound are completely authentic. The cameos and nods are all there. I'm only a couple hours in. But so far it is a South Park RPG lover's dream. Here's hoping it holds up. But I trust Obsidian, and the South Park boys. So yay

Ayen
03-05-2014, 03:34 AM
I'll wait for it to come down. I don't like paying sixty bucks for any game.

Depression Moon
03-05-2014, 04:02 AM
I heard this game needs patching.

NeoCracker
03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
It can get laggy at times when you enter a new area, pretty bad laggy, but it clears up fast.

Mostly it's just really fucking funny.

Vyk
03-05-2014, 07:15 AM
I haven't experienced any problems. The only mildly wonky thing I've come across is the fact that when you save, it doesn't really save, it just kinda saves the area. It's basically the same thing as the auto save would be, so it's almost pointless. But that's hardly a big complaint since it employs an auto-save feature similar to Skyrim with at least 3 active at once

Though maybe it was more optimized for ATI (what I use) than GeForce or whatever (which I presume is where the lag comes in, since I don't experience any)

If I weren't polishing off my income tax I probably wouldn't have paid full price for this game, but I definitely would have gotten it, and so far (4'ish hours in) still not regretting it. And I love that this game was made in general. I'd want Ubisoft and Obsidian to have my money for it just for the mere fact that they put their time, efforts, and funds into it, and we need more good off-the-wall games. So I support that. With my wallet, when I can. But yeah, honestly, so far, it's not screaming AAA $60 game. But somehow those games don't fully catch my interest anyway

Bright Shield
03-05-2014, 07:47 AM
I plan of getting this game soon. Looks hilarious.

DMKA
03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I do think it's cool how it looks exactly like the show.

I heard it's extremely short though.

black orb
03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
>>> Looks like there are lots of South Park games out there. I just remember a N64 one..:luca:

Nicolas
03-05-2014, 05:31 PM

I believe the game takes about 12 hours to complete with most of the sidequests. Honestly, that's not a bad chunk of time for any game.

Vyk
03-05-2014, 06:51 PM

I believe the game takes about 12 hours to complete with most of the sidequests. Honestly, that's not a bad chunk of time for any game.

I'd be sad if it were that short, but I'd also be satisfied. Most AAA titles are only 10 - 15 hours anyway. I've probably sunk 6 or 7 in so far, and barely touched the main quest. But some of the side quests had me stumped a bit so I spent a good portion of time just wandering back and forth and talking to random citizens and finding weird things. They pretty much nailed the atmosphere. It really feels like a super extended episode. I really can't get enough of it for some reason. I have a big stupid smile plastered on my face the whole time I'm playing. But if this is going to be about hours of playtime over money spent, then this is definitely quality over quantity. At least in my opinion

NeoCracker
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I don't like my RPG's being that short, but eh, as long as it's good. It's not like I'm in short supply on games, especially with Atelier and Dark Souls 2 being my next couple titles. :p

Nicolas
03-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm honestly not sure how well the humor of one long bit will hold up if it lasted a full 40 hours. It might grow old after a while.

Bunny
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
For those looking to buy the game but haven't, here is a potential 25% coupon code for Green Man Gaming (which gives you a Steam key, I believe):
GMG & Playfire Community Blog: 25% Off South Park: Stick of Truth? (http://blog.playfire.com/2014/03/25-off-south-park-stick-of-truth.html#more)

Expires on the 7th.

Sephiroth
03-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Live now:

Twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming)

Vyk
03-06-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm honestly not sure how well the humor of one long bit will hold up if it lasted a full 40 hours. It might grow old after a while.

The humor level and rate reminds me of old Lucas Arts adventure games and such. Actually the entire game makes me feel like it's an adventure game with RPG-like encounters and elements, rather than a full-fledged RPG

Maybe it'd be easier to digest if people thought of it as a big-budget blockbuster adventure game. Almost seems like an oxymoron though lol

Nicolas
03-06-2014, 04:49 PM

The humor level and rate reminds me of old Lucas Arts adventure games and such. Actually the entire game makes me feel like it's an adventure game with RPG-like encounters and elements, rather than a full-fledged RPG

Maybe it'd be easier to digest if people thought of it as a big-budget blockbuster adventure game. Almost seems like an oxymoron though lol

Yeah. I noticed the pacing of the jokes when I finally had some time with the game last night. Everything is well paced with loads of random references. You're right too. It almost feels like it could be some grand adventure game with all the walking around the different areas with some limitations. Though, this game is very heavily influenced by Paper Mario and you can definitely tell it is in more than just the combat. Everything about the game screams Paper Mario with South Park visuals and humor.

Tigmafuzz
03-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I just beat it at 15 hours with a bunch of extra grinding for money and running around. I loved all the references and the general South Park feel, and I'm excited to see what the post-game stuff is. Can't wait to finish the ManBearPig storyline.

My favorite part was the Giant Nazi Zombie Fetus

NeoCracker
03-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I just beat it at 15 hours with a bunch of extra grinding for money and running around. I loved all the references and the general South Park feel, and I'm excited to see what the post-game stuff is. Can't wait to finish the ManBearPig storyline.

My favorite part was the Giant Nazi Zombie Fetus

Oh god that part was glorious. XD

The Final Boss was wonderful I think. And the bit after the end where...

You finally get to speak, and you just use Cartmans old line. XD

Psychotic
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
It only just came out in Europe today. I am loving it so far, as to be expected. I fucking love Obsidian and I've been watching South Park for more than half my life.

Del Murder
03-08-2014, 02:54 AM
Sounds like my type of game. I'll give it a try at some point.

Vyk
03-08-2014, 03:55 AM
Came across my first glitch. And not sure it would have even happened if I'd actually restarted my computer like I've been meaning to for the past week or so. But it wasn't that bad of a glitch. Just slowed animation during a cut scene. But the nice thing was that each statement stood on its own. So it would wait to finish one person's before attempting the next. Rather than having an entire conversation play out all the audio and wait forever for the animation to catch up. I've read about some of the glitches (there are many, so it's a gamble what, if any, you might get) but so far none of them have ruined anyone's enjoyment. So yay? Typical Obsidian really. Gotta love 'em :)

Though I have no idea how or why people are finishing this game in like 10 hours. Really? Savor the damn thing. I'm like 13 hours in and only about half way through the second day lol So your mileage may vary. I've been taking it slow and enjoying the hell out of it at every step

Nicolas
03-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Came across my first glitch. And not sure it would have even happened if I'd actually restarted my computer like I've been meaning to for the past week or so. But it wasn't that bad of a glitch. Just slowed animation during a cut scene. But the nice thing was that each statement stood on its own. So it would wait to finish one person's before attempting the next. Rather than having an entire conversation play out all the audio and wait forever for the animation to catch up. I've read about some of the glitches (there are many, so it's a gamble what, if any, you might get) but so far none of them have ruined anyone's enjoyment. So yay? Typical Obsidian really. Gotta love 'em :)

Though I have no idea how or why people are finishing this game in like 10 hours. Really? Savor the damn thing. I'm like 13 hours in and only about half way through the second day lol So your mileage may vary. I've been taking it slow and enjoying the hell out of it at every step

Yeah. The glitches apparently range from game breaking to none at all. Only had about two. One where the game looped endlessly while trying to start up for no reason. The other was just character sprites disappearing randomly for a couple minutes.

As far as the actual time in the game, I'm just under 12 hours, on the third day, and I've done EVERYTHING up to that point. I literally have no options left but to continue the story and wait to be able to access the rest of the game.

On a side note. Is anybody a Jew?

NeoCracker
03-08-2014, 07:00 AM
I think at least 70% of the people who have played this game picked Jew. :p

Psychotic
03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I didn't, I always pick "guy who hits things with sword". Tradition. :D Out of curiosity, what traditional fantasy class does Jew most resemble?

Nicolas
03-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I did not choose the Jew and was wondering the same thing, Psy. Chose the Thief, which is amazing.

All I know is that the Jew can sling a rock, much like David did against Goliath.

Vyk
03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
From what my one friend said, Jew is monk/ninja. Who gets Jew-Jitsu lol

Kalevala
03-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I haven't purchased the game yet, but I've been watching PewDiePie's play-through of it.

Jews also have a "Plagues of Egypt" skill, as well as the ability to circumcise enemies.

NeoCracker
03-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Jew plays around with a lot of debuffs, and a few buffs if you level plagues. So I'd say the FF XI red mage is pretty damn close, though Oracle from Tactics may be the closest. :p

Nicolas
03-09-2014, 03:15 AM
The Jew sounds like a great class to try the game with a second time.

Beat the game after 16.1 hours with everything and a few breaks thrown in there. That was great. It was all hilarious.

Psychotic
03-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Just beat it. Had a fucking blast, this is definitely the funniest game I've ever played. The art style and the gameplay were great. As others have said, I think it's a bit short in that I would've played hours more of this and loved it. Favourite bit? Canada xD

Lonely Paper Star
03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I love this game. I felt like I was real character in the show. :D I wish there was more to explore, but I suppose doing another playthrough as another class is good enough.

Kalevala
03-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Jack Thompson-types are going to have a field day with the game's UFO area and the "sex scene."

Del Murder
03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Just beat it. Had a fucking blast, this is definitely the funniest game I've ever played. The art style and the gameplay were great. As others have said, I think it's a bit short in that I would've played hours more of this and loved it. Favourite bit? Canada xD
Have you ever played Conker's Bad Fur Day? I'm just curious how to benchmark this in terms of how funny it is.

NeoCracker
03-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Conkers was funnier. :p

Tigmafuzz
03-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Had a couple PS3 glitches today. While running around as David Hasselhoff trying to find the last piece of the Witch's Outfit so I could get the trophy for having all the equipment, I walked out of the abortion clinic and the screen looked like somebody had poorly cropped a screenshot of the game in mspaint. There was a big teal border across the bottom and the left side of the screen, and I couldn't go more than a couple inches in either direction. It went away after I walked in and out of the clinic again.

Also, while selling some junk in Cartman's backyard, something weird happened with the game's font. Every letter other than L, R, S, and E was smeared up and down across its line, so sentences kinda looked like this:

=̵͍̥͚͍̝͚̍ͧͬ̄̆͐ͬ͞-̜͇̺̖͎̲̖̇ͭ͠.̦͈̺̻̫̥͉̗͗̑͂͜͡-̢͓͎̩̤̫̞̲̉̌̐=̡͍̖̘͊ͫͫ̌̀,̵̻̋͂ E =͎̩̺͍͇̬͖ͦ͠-͓̖̄̌̆͐̑̌̉ͥ͛,̤̲̝̗͓̫͑̓̓̿̒̃ͣ͜.̶̴̤̳̣͖̫̉ͪ̑̉ͭ͆ͤ͋ L -̣̭͂̇͜͝=͔̠̹͇̟ͬͨ͒ͥ̒̅͌͑͠ͅͅ-̨͔͕̱̖͚͇̹̉͋ͯ͂͋.̝̱̠̘͋̂̐̒̃ͭͯͫ̔̕͞,̴̡̩̭͑͂-͎̍́̑̓̊̊ͫ̚≠̷͚̞̼͎̗ͥ̄̾̑ͣ͝ S .̠̤̻͈̪̜͎̇̓̿̊̓,̷̪̜̞̤͖͎̍̄̀͂ͪͧͤ͘͜ ER .̨̗̭̮̝̞̽ͣ̀̓̏̽͡ͅͅ≠̛͕̞̟͉̝ͩ̏̐̾-̫̲͚̼̭͉͓̐̐̾ͥͭͧ̑̑̽͝ S ,͈̦̟̰͕̬̱̬ͯ̃̔ͩ̑̈͝=̢͎͔̠͇̯͚̗̱̫ͣ̐̏͋̅̅͡ E -͆̓͐ͨ͏̧̤̭͎̭̘̖̤̯,̻̫̜̱̙͚̬̗̏ͫ͌͆͆ͩ͞=̿ͤͯ̓̐̚҉͇̺̲̹̦̭̻̪͝-̣̣̻̬̦͖͈͙ͭͭͪ/̢̬̫̠͕̤̲̼̿ͬ͒͐̎́̕ E ,̝̣̭͈̣͚͉̉ͭ.̸͚͔̱͕̩̪̪̅̈͌ͪ̅ͬ̕.̣̰̺̥ͦ̿͛̃ͅ/̡̢͙͈͚͔͎̖ͪ͆͒,̣̹̠̲̱͔̮̥͆͊͗̀͐̍ͅ

Scott Malkinson must have given me diabetes or something. I had to quit the game completely and reload it, because it even affected the main menu.

Other than that, everything's been great so far. I got the last Chinpokomon today (thankfully I hadn't missed any of the ones that you can't get to later) and I also got all the friends except for one. I can't figure out who it is.

Vyk
03-10-2014, 04:59 AM
The mild glitches are completely random and weird. It's interesting, but it doesn't seem to affect anyone's real progress. I think most people fix their's by reloading. I had one minor glitch where a cut-scene wasn't as fast as the audio. But it wasn't too bad, because each phase of conversation waited for the previous phase of animation to end. So it's not like I heard the entire conversation and had to wait 10 minutes for the animation to catch up. It was just slow. Not a big deal. And haven't encountered anything else. Though from what I hear PS3 has the most glitches. Which sadly, is more common with multi-platform ports like this

Bright Shield
03-10-2014, 07:44 AM
I'm loving it so far. Just messing around with the side quests, and exploring the town. This is easily the best PS3 RPG.

Psychotic
03-10-2014, 08:18 AM
In terms of glitches I've had a handful. In the second battle where you learn how to block and counter, the game froze with the elf lying on his ass. I had to uninstall the title update to get past. I've got a couple of NPCs who won't talk to me, like there's a girl on her phone in town and also Polly Prissy Pants on Cartman's bed. Finally, in another cutscene Cartman was completely mute. Everyone else was talking but his lips were moving and sound wasn't coming out. Bizarre.

Have you ever played Conker's Bad Fur Day? I'm just curious how to benchmark this in terms of how funny it is.Hmm. I think maybe if you're not a huge South Park fan you might prefer CBFD. It's difficult to gauge because I haven't played that in lord knows how many years.

Tigmafuzz
03-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Polly Prissy Pants

AHAHA, THAT WAS THE LAST FRIEND I NEEDED!

Talk to her with Cartman in your party! :bigsmile:

Psychotic
03-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Oh of course. I should have done this given that once he was unlocked, Cartman was my main buddy. Who did everyone else use? I used Butters, then Jimmy, then Cartman. I didn't really use Kenny, Stan or Kyle very much at all.

Nicolas
03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Oh of course. I should have done this given that once he was unlocked, Cartman was my main buddy. Who did everyone else use? I used Butters, then Jimmy, then Cartman. I didn't really use Kenny, Stan or Kyle very much at all.

Haha. I heard Cartman was a pretty good buddy. Kyle and Kenny ended up being a great choice for me since they were great for multiple enemies. Butters, Jimmy, and Stan got a bit of use here and depending on what was needed. Cartman got used once.

As far as humor, yeah. You have to enjoy South Park a bit to enjoy the humor.

Glitches ranged from not being able to finish the Abortion Clinic to just random disappearances of characters on the PC for me. At one point, the game cycled trying to start itself.

Psychotic
03-10-2014, 03:54 PM
See, I liked Butters, Jimmy and Cartman precisely because of their ability to hit multiple enemies. :shobon: I don't know how things were on the PC, but on the Xbox you have to shake the analogue stick from side to side to do Kenny's animal attack whereas with Butters you just had to hit A at the right time. So Butters was out of convenience of not having to destroy both my palm/thumb and the analogue stick!

Vyk
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
I use an XBox controller while playing it on the PC so the controls are the same for me. But in general they just use an analogous control method for keyboard and mouse. You'd either have to tap A/D repeatedly, or right-click/left-click. But it doesn't seem like a game that lends itself well to mouse and keyboard. I wouldn't want to constantly see a mouse all over my beautiful South Park screen

And there's actually a lot of kids that don't talk to me. The ones sitting in the basketball park on their cell phones don't talk to you. There's also a random one on a bench in front of the bank or the post office or something that doesn't talk to you. So the girl on the cell phone I just assumed was like one of those. Unless all those characters are glitched for me. But they make random comments when I pass by sometimes. I just can't really talk to them. Only thing different about the cell phone girl is you can hit the A button on her. But I wasn't too bothered by her not replying

Kalevala
03-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Conkers was funnier. :p

I don't remember Conker's being as funny as this. Maybe the fact that a significant amount of the jokes are inside jokes make it funnier/heart warming in a strange way.

Nicolas
03-10-2014, 05:59 PM
See, I liked Butters, Jimmy and Cartman precisely because of their ability to hit multiple enemies. :shobon: I don't know how things were on the PC, but on the Xbox you have to shake the analogue stick from side to side to do Kenny's animal attack whereas with Butters you just had to hit A at the right time. So Butters was out of convenience of not having to destroy both my palm/thumb and the analogue stick!

I played with the DS4 on my PC. So I had the same experience. I just liked that if Kenny died, he'd be back before the end of the fight usually. Butters was good at healing for no cost though. Kyle's was probably the easiest since it was pretty much kill all enemies and was easy to pull off.

Tigmafuzz
03-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Kenny was my main buddy for a while, because his Furry Friends attack also inflicts bleeding, and I had the perk that makes me do extra damage to enemies that were bleeding. Also I got the perk that does the same with burning, and so every main weapon I used had burning on it. Using the Chakram to attack several enemies at once and inflict bleeding and burning on all of them and then kill them all at once with Ground Stomp was pretty great.

Also, upgrading Bull Rush to the point where you can use it again if it knocks out an enemy is way too overpowered. You can basically attack as many times per turn as there are enemies on the screen once you have the piece of armor that gives you an extra 10PP every time you knock out an opponent. It really made the Craig battle ridiculously easy, since I halved his armor and inflicted defense down basically every turn.

Nicolas
03-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Kenny was my main buddy for a while, because his Furry Friends attack also inflicts bleeding, and I had the perk that makes me do extra damage to enemies that were bleeding. Also I got the perk that does the same with burning, and so every main weapon I used had burning on it. Using the Chakram to attack several enemies at once and inflict bleeding and burning on all of them and then kill them all at once with Ground Stomp was pretty great.

Also, upgrading Bull Rush to the point where you can use it again if it knocks out an enemy is way too overpowered. You can basically attack as many times per turn as there are enemies on the screen once you have the piece of armor that gives you an extra 10PP every time you knock out an opponent. It really made the Craig battle ridiculously easy, since I halved his armor and inflicted defense down basically every turn.

Sounds about how I played as the Thief. Just about every skill causes bleeding, and I highly valued Kenny and Kyle because they have skills that inflicted bleeding. Hell, everything past the halfway point in the game was super easy. Just cause everything to bleed or use Speed Potions and destroy their armor with Execute. With Execute maxed out, you get bonus damage to stun, halved armor against the enemy, all instances of bleed to hit, and if you knock somebody out, you get two actions next turn.

Psychotic
03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I loved the weapon strap-ons that inflicted burning. I always loved when I got weapons with two slots as I could team up burning and something like gross out. It was awesome.

Agreed with Tig on Bull Rush. I maxed out that and Horn of Annoyance. I thought the Baseball and Roshambo skills were too hard to pull off. HoA is brilliant for buffs and debuffs.

Madame Adequate
03-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Bleed strap-ons on the Bar Darts is ridiculous, I can either stack a full 5 bleeds on someone in one round, or can get 2 bleeds on three separate enemies.

I'm not the biggest SP fan in the world but I'm still liking this game quite a bit. I'll never get tired of Elves going "Come on Motherfucker, you and me!" and so forth.

Butters is best buddy so far.

black orb
03-18-2014, 07:59 PM
>>> This game is completely sold out where i live.
My brother managed to get the PC game thanks to one of his friends, fun stuff..:luca:

I guess they will make a sequel or two..

Madame Adequate
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Finished this last night, it hit all the right notes, didn't overstay its welcome, and was hilarious. Superb game.

VexNet
03-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I was way too OP from the start in my play through, although I did watch my gf play through it first + it really was just like watching an extended episode of South Park with a bag full of cameos!

I wouldn't call it a real RPG, since it's so lacklustre in gameplay mechanics. Instead it's just a fun interactive RPG spoofed SP episode.

We had some scenes censored in the European version of the game but the way they pointed it out/ making a joke out of it, was very funny!

Mons
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
South Park stinks!