PDA

View Full Version : Cooking!

noxious.sunshine
03-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Okay, I know that there's the recipe thread and there's favorite food threads..

But what's your favorite thing to -cook-? It doesn't have to be something that's a favorite of yours to eat in the end, per se, but like a dish that you particularly enjoy going through the whole process of cooking and assembling and plating.

For me, I think it would be making my lasagna. .. It's soooo expensive to make, but it literally can feed an army for a week, weighs like 15 lbs depending on what all I put into the marinara and the meat..

I know I've posted about it before, but it truly is one of my bigger accomplishments, I think.. Aside from nailing the art of making my mom's fried chicken for my dad.

I scoured the interwebz for different recipes both authentic and what is typically made in kitchens... Everywhere. Or whatever. Just the basic ground beef/marinara/noodles/cheese deal.

I kinda do my own marinara with whole stewed tomatoes that I kinda crush in the pot with onion, spinach, carrot, garlic, basil, sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil and a few other things, a mix of ground sirloin, ground turkey, and spicy Italian sausage for the beef with mushrooms, & more spinach & onion & garlic.. Sometimes I'll add pancetta or slices of crisped up prosciutto if I can find it & feel like having that extra bit of meat, and then of course the cheese- ricotta mixed with mozzarella, some of the Italian cheese blend (pecorino romano, parmesan, and asiago) and egg to hold it together..

Of course, I have a nasty habit of making things a lot more complicated than they should be, but with having very limited space to do things cooking-wise, it's hard to make it easier..

magemasher
03-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Curry used to be my favourite things to cook, then I found a website that tells you how to make it like an Indian restaurant does although it works and tastes great it's ruined the journey of perfecting it myself through my own ideas and the recipes by western chefs.

What I've got into lately is proper Ragu as they traditionally make it in Italy and not the English bolognese that was invented in the 60's, Heston Blumenthal has an interesting take on it by adding star anise, it intensifies the meat taste.

My favourite thing to cook is Pigeon pie it tastes amazing and it's what I would request as my last mealツ. I made some last week and have 4 sitting in my freezer... just waiting.