PDA

View Full Version : The GBA version of this is so much easier than I remember. (Boss Strategies)

KentaRawr!
03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I recently went through FF1 on the GBA again, and it's so much easier than I remembered, mainly because I figured out about things I didn't know before. I hadn't realized that Temper can stack, and I also didn't know about how you can use items to cast certain spells. So most boss battles consisted of my Ninja casting haste on the Master, the Master using the Giant's Glove on himself, and both the Red and Black Wizards casting Temper incessantly while the Master goes on to pummel the boss. Even Omega went down fairly easily once I figured all that out!

What's your typical boss strategy? Is it the same through different versions, or does it depend on which one you're playing?

Mirage
03-08-2014, 02:05 AM
the GBA version is massively easier than the NES version, in case you didn't know.

Hollycat
03-08-2014, 02:49 AM
Square Enix has a habit of making their remakes easier.

I haven't played the original FF1 all the way through, but it is definitely not as easy as the GBA version.

Except with KH apparently.... I don't know whose idea it was to make all the enemies take 30% less damage, but they aren't invited to my birthday party.

KentaRawr!
03-08-2014, 07:55 PM
the GBA version is massively easier than the NES version, in case you didn't know.

Yeah, but the superbosses too? That's one of the GBA version's additions!

Bolivar
03-09-2014, 01:43 AM
The GBA version is my favorite but the difficulty is a little lax. I think to balance it out I ran from every fight up until I crossed the bridge and the difficulty was decent for the rest of the game.

I do something similar with FFVII.

Dalkaen
03-11-2014, 01:14 AM
I just recently finished the Origins version of FF1 (which I think retains the difficulty of the original) and I noticed that the bosses were all really easy. The hardest part was just getting through the endless waves of random encounters in the dungeons. Most bosses actually had really low HP.

VeloZer0
03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
An intersting paridigm shift to today when the boss is the main attraction and all the enemies on the way there are filler.

Dalkaen
03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't think random encounters should be filler but I do think bosses should be the main point of focus. I want those to be really challenging and lengthy if possible, but I definitely don't mind when the regular encounters are pretty tough as well.

Ayen
03-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I just recently finished the Origins version of FF1 (which I think retains the difficulty of the original) and I noticed that the bosses were all really easy. The hardest part was just getting through the endless waves of random encounters in the dungeons. Most bosses actually had really low HP.

You have your choice between easy and the original difficulty.

I only ever played the Origins version of Final Fantasy so I can't comment on the GBA version at all. ToriJ's 100% full proof plan to beat any boss that comes his way?

Grind, attack, heal when necessary.

Full proof!

Botchmun
03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I only ever played the NES final fantasy 1. It's broken now because its damn old. Still better than XIII-2

Spooniest
03-19-2014, 02:09 AM
When I think of how many times I got myself killed trying to rush through the Marsh Cave back in the day, I sigh and lament that the game takes me a total of 2-3 days to complete now. It was frustrating getting killed all the time, but now that I can just coast through the game, it's lost some of its appeal.

The challenge of a JRPG arises, typically, out of not knowing, out of information that you don't have. You could look up the algorithms of FF1, compute your damage output based on the boss' defense, and figure out (within a few turns, I bet) how many attacks will be necessary to kill it. But I wasn't willing to think that deeply (and didn't know enough about computer programs) back in the day when I first played it; I took it at face value.

Once you've looked under the hood, you'll never think of driving the same way again, it seems...

Hollycat
03-19-2014, 02:29 AM

You have your choice between easy and the original difficulty.

I only ever played the Origins version of Final Fantasy so I can't comment on the GBA version at all. ToriJ's 100% full proof plan to beat any boss that comes his way?

Grind, attack, heal when necessary.

Full proof!
Do you mean "fool proof"?

Ayen
03-19-2014, 03:11 AM
Nah, full proof.

Spooniest
03-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Do you mean "fool proof"?

It's impossible to make anything fool proof because fools are so ingenious.