PDA

View Full Version : The Lunar Series

Forsaken Lover
03-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Being almost exclusively a JRPG nerd, I've naturally heard about these games. However I've never played a single one of them and I was curious what posters here thought of them? Are they some of the best examples of the genre? Just kinda generic? Absolutely awful?

This whole thing dawned on me when I was thinking about getting a PSP. it has remakes of a few older "classic JRPGs" and Lunar is one of them. (along with Star Ocean 1 and 2 which i'm interested in) Would you suggest the PSP version or the original?

NeoCracker
03-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Okay, Lunar: Silver Star Story may be the cheesiest RPG I have ever scene in my life. It's corny, goofy, and the characters are all pretty one note.

That said, it manages to hit all those notes pretty well, the cheesiness is actually ramped up to a point it's still very enjoyable, and the combat is pretty solid as well.

The PSP version's script is a bit better, though you're solid either way.

Vyk
03-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah. I haven't played any versions of the second one (Eternal Blue). But the first one was completely "generic". And it was the most charming and enjoyable generic JRPG I've ever played. The characters are very lovable, and the plot is predictable but amusing. It won't win any prizes for innovation or anything though. I've never played the PSP version though. I shied away because another remake (on the DS I believe?) was said to be god-awful. And I'm a mild Working Designs fanboy, mostly for nostalgia's sake since their humor is generally very juvenile, but still..

KentaRawr!
03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I played the GBA version of the first Lunar game and totally loved it, but I can't remember much about it, and looking around people seem to dislike the GBA version the most. :p

Vyk
03-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Must be the GBA version I'm remembering then. I've never tried it, but remembering it getting a lot of flack for one reason or another

Jowy
03-09-2014, 09:30 AM
the GBA version gets flak because its a buggy piece of shit with completely different gameplay mechanics than the original / complete. :monster:

Emulate the Sega CD versions for a moderately challenging and entertaining jRPG experience; Play through the PS1 versions if you'd like updated graphics and some closure with the storyline...the original games didn't exactly have "happy" endings when compared to a trip to the blue star or the game not mysteriously ending at the grindery.

Lots of repetition though. You'll be spamming the same skills every battle for about 90% of the game

Jiro
03-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Roogle lent me a copy of the Lunar on PSP and it was pretty excellent actually. Oldschool, but enjoyable.

Bright Shield
03-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Lunar 1 is one of my top 10 RPGs, and Lunar 2 is a contender for my favorite RPG ever(up there with P4). They are cheesy, but in a good way. They have a lot of heart; much more than most games nowadays.

Personally, I like the PSX versions the best. The Sega CD versions have superior dungeons(especially in 2), but lack in other ways. The PSP remake of 1, scaled down many dungeons and towns.

Bright Shield
03-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Here's the first 20 minutes of Lunar 2 on PSX. Check out the videos to see if it's for you or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPO9IPU0BeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiWtuWTA1U

Tigmafuzz
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Lunar: SSSC is one of my favorite games. It just has everything I like in RPGs. I have the complete set with the soundtrack and the Making Of bonus disc.

I started Eternal Blue a while back but I never finished it. I think I only got about an hour in since I was real busy at the time. I should go back and play it.

Spooniest
03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
I've played both the Sega CD versions and the PSX versions...I'll note here that Silver Star Story Complete has a completely different soundtrack for totally unexplained reasons. I prefer the Sega CD music.

As for Eternal Blue, the soundtrack is identical on the PSX, if I'm not mistaken.

All are pretty prototypical JRPG fare, but they're in the upper echelon. Entertaining for a playthrough.