PDA

View Full Version : Metroid (Series)

Ayen
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Who here have played Metroid?

I was introduced to the series through Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime, but I was introduced to Samus herself through Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64. After that I acquired Metroid Zero Missions and got to play the original Metroid for the NES after I beat it. I rented Metroid Prime 2, but didn't get very far on it. I've yet to play Return of Samus or Super Metroid, but Zero Missions is a pretty good fill in since it combines the first and second games together.

Discuss.

edczxcvbnm
03-10-2014, 09:58 PM
My introduction to Metroid was....Metroid. Metroid 2 was a good follow up and Super Metroid perfected it.

Zero Mission is a pretty good game and Fusion is a total disaster from top to bottom. A complete train wreck!

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are great (as long as you turn off hints/help).

I wish Nintendo would make a gorgeous 2D Side Scrolling adventure as a true follow up to Super Metroid but after Fusion and Zero Mission, I doubt they know how to anymore.

The Man
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made. I kind of want to do a reverse boss order speedrun but I suspect I suck too much to pull it off :( Has anyone here ever done one and if so do you have any hints?

Aulayna
03-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Metroid is hands down a gaming masterpiece.

Ayen
03-10-2014, 10:55 PM

That ironically didn't sell well.

And Metroid Fusion was fantastic :colbert: If you want a train wreck go read the script for Other M.

Skyblade
03-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Super Metroid was not perfect. Shine-sparking hurt you, which was ridiculous. A health cost for exploration-movement is not a good idea, especially for such a heavily exploration based game. I do wish it had gotten a rerelease on the DS or 3DS though.

Metroid Fusion was fantastic, and far superior to Zero Mission.

Metroid Prime was the single best style transition for a game I have ever seen. It moved the series from side-scroller to FPS brilliantly. It never really lost any of the heart of the original series (though the first was the best).

Scotty_ffgamer
03-11-2014, 12:41 AM
I've only played the first Metroid on the NES. It's pretty fun; though, I can only play it in short bursts before I get bored with it anymore.

Spooniest
03-11-2014, 02:49 AM
I remember seeing Metroid at the people across the streets' house when I was a kid. I kept asking the guy playing "what's that beeping noise?" He explained that that noise meant he was about to die. I asked the simple question "what happens when you die?" and was told "it's not pretty."

Flash forward a number of years, and I got a copy of Metroid for myself. I remember plumbing the depths of Norfair for missle upgrades, likely when many of you were still spilling your food on your high chairs, and probably when I should have been doing my homework.

My brother actually drew up a map on graph paper (this was before GameFAQs). I wonder if I still have it.

Metroid 2 I've played through once or twice, and Super Metroid was *the* cool game to have when I was entering high school.

As to the Prime series or Fusion, I never really gave them a go. Was Fusion as bad as they say?

Ayen
03-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Who's 'they'? The game was critically acclaimed and enjoyed by many people. If anything the game ended too soon.

Sephex
03-11-2014, 02:58 AM
My cousin had the original when I was very young and that was my introduction to the series. He basically mastered the game and knew all the cool passwords, so he made the game look very easy. This was back when the original was the only one that existed.

I never played any of them until Super Metroid, and since then I have loved the series. I also LOVED the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Even got that somewhat rare Wii game with all three of them. The only one I really didn't like was Other M, though I didn't hate it as much as some people. Metroid Fusion was alright too, but I wish it was more about exploring like the other ones and the Prime games.

Anyway, overall? Love this series. Excellent gaming experiences, music, and fun!

Spooniest
03-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Who's 'they'?

Simply whoever it was that posted in this thread that it was junk...

Del Murder
03-11-2014, 05:46 AM
As has been said, Super Metroid was one of the best games ever made. Certainly the best in its subgenre. The others were pretty great too, even the original which was pretty innovative for its time. Metroid Prime was a great transition to FPS but not as fun as the side 2D games. I've only played the first one but I got the second for a good price the other day and would love to try it out if I had the time.

Skyblade
03-11-2014, 06:04 AM
As has been said, Super Metroid was one of the best games ever made. Certainly the best in its subgenre. The others were pretty great too, even the original which was pretty innovative for its time. Metroid Prime was a great transition to FPS but not as fun as the side 2D games. I've only played the first one but I got the second for a good price the other day and would love to try it out if I had the time.

Just a warning: The first Prime game is the best and the second is the worst. The second suffers from a few problems. The special beams all feature an ammo system, which is a stupid and pointless. It also features a dark world which, while interesting and sound conceptually, leads to some really annoying traversal when you have to jump between worlds multiple times to get from one place to another.

Bright Shield
03-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Most of the Metroid games are good, but Super Metroid was something truly great.

Dat Matt
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
I was introduced to the Metroid Series starting with Fusion. It became one of the games I could play over and over on my GBA and my record time for finishing the game is something like 1.04 hrs or something daft. Played that game to death. Funny that I only found out about beKuG-IWu98.

I have since played Zero Mission, Metroid Prime Hunters and the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The Metroid Prime trilogy was amazing but nothing holds a candle to Fusion in my eyes.

edczxcvbnm
03-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Who's 'they'?

Simply whoever it was that posted in this thread that it was junk...

Most of my problems with Fusion are more the presentation of everything. Super Metroid does hold your hand but it is mainly early on by trapping you down in the lower Brinstar/Norfair until you have Ice Beam/Varia Suit/Speed Boots but after that you are free to leave and you are left with a world to go off and explore until you get to the lower Norfair near the end. There is still a standard path and as long as you find everything along the way it becomes clearly laid out, or else you get to run around aimlessly and use the map to find everything.

Fusion holds your hand the entire game in an entirely explicit way. Instead of guiding the user through the level design, they throw story at you, open up a door and tell you where to go and what to do and why. When you are done, come back and listen to us tell you where to go, what to blah blah blah. All of the story and explanation as to why the game will not let you go through x door is only slowing down the progression and pace of the game. Later on your way back gets blocked but there is still really only 1 way to go. I feel all of this is the antithesis of what a MetroidVania game should be like. Let me choose where to go and how to screw it up.

I also hate how the run has worked in pretty much every game post super metroid. Super Metroid had a nice ramp up in speed. Every other game now has 3 speeds. Move, Run and Super Run(After x distance) with no build up between any of these. To my recollection Fusion introduced this and I stupidly hate it. It is just pointlessly slowing me down :/

Skyblade
03-12-2014, 04:52 AM
I also hate how the run has worked in pretty much every game post super metroid. Super Metroid had a nice ramp up in speed. Every other game now has 3 speeds. Move, Run and Super Run(After x distance) with no build up between any of these. To my recollection Fusion introduced this and I stupidly hate it. It is just pointlessly slowing me down :/

Nope, that was Zero Mission, and is part of why I absolutely HATE that game.

Actually, I take that back. Zero Mission has simply Run and Super Run. It has no ramp up whatsoever.

Bubba
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Metroid 2 was a good follow up and Super Metroid perfected it.

Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made.

Super Metroid was one of the best games ever made.

Most of the Metroid games are good, but Super Metroid was something truly great.

All of the above.

For a 16-Bit game, it was atmospheric as hell. Just a perfect 2D platformer in my opinion.

edczxcvbnm
03-12-2014, 11:56 PM

Actually, I take that back. Zero Mission has simply Run and Super Run. It has no ramp up whatsoever.

In all honesty, it has been a very long time since I played Metroid Fusion and I don't intend to go back. I could have sworn Fusion did it originally but I guess I am mistaken :/

Skyblade
03-13-2014, 05:01 AM

In all honesty, it has been a very long time since I played Metroid Fusion and I don't intend to go back. I could have sworn Fusion did it originally but I guess I am mistaken :/

Metroid Zero Mission, while in many respects a very nice game, earns my eternal ire for minor issues like that. The running felt off from the first time I played it, and I could never understand why when it worked so well in Metroid Fusion. Literally all they had to do was copy it. Most of the effects also felt off. Most bosses moved with a similar...lack of inertia, I suppose you could call it? From the moment I faced the first snake boss thing guarding the missiles, it always felt to me like an enemy from a game. Rather than an actual creature or beast. Because it moved at an unnatural rate. It wasn't too fast to react to or anything, it just felt fake. A similar issue was that missiles always felt to me as though they were lacking in impact and power. Like I was shooting darts from a Nerf gun, rather than a missile. Little things like that were everywhere, and it really dragged down the game. It took so long to get immersed in the game. Every time I start it up, I have to get past those problems before I can really get into it.

The other major problem (which is also sort of a complaint about the original) is that, while it has a lot of really good music, I loathe and detest the Brinstar theme (which is easily the song you're going to hear the most throughout the game). The rest of the music is solid, but that theme just drives me nuts.