PDA

View Full Version : Beating the winter blues

Jinx
03-11-2014, 04:53 AM
Here in the Northern Hemisphere we're on the tail-end of a doosy winter. At least here in NY we're set to be getting 9 more inches of snow this week...

How do you deal with cabin fever or SAD? What do you do to keep yourself happy, or at the very least sane?

EDIT: Southern Hemisphere friends are encouraged to answer too. :)

Shiny
03-11-2014, 06:40 AM
More snow?! Aw hell nah!

Calliope
03-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Happy Light, Vitamin D, exercise, proper food, friends, indoor activities that don't involve screentime.

Sephex
03-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Take pain meds, get drunk, take more pain meds, take sleep aids, go back to work, and stop caring.

Tigmafuzz
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
What Sephex said, but with more drinking.

noxious.sunshine
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Is it really 9 more inches??

My phone says flurries & temps in like mid-40's all week. Or something. IDK.

Not much for me to do then... Play vidya, cook, tv, green things, alcohol... whatevs.

EDIT: Give me your pain pills. KThx.

Drift
03-11-2014, 09:50 AM
hit the gym and sleep more

Bubba
03-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Is it really 9 more inches??

That's what she said.

Yeah, I try to find activities that are different to being in front of the TV. If it's horrible outside I'll have a tinkle on my guitar or my ukulele. I've cut down a lot on drinking at home this new year and it definitely has had a positive effect.

It helps that the winter here in the UK has been pretty mild. We're currently in the middle of an early March heatwave. I'm on my lunch in 90 minutes and will be enjoying my sandwiches in the sunshine with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Old Manus
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
No difference here. It still rains every day, but the longer periods of daylight mean you can see it happening for longer.

Shaibana
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
what is winter?

*kicks her feet up on garden-chair and lies back with a nice cool drink enjoying the cloudles sky while my skin burns*:cool:

we had a nice 15-18 degrees celcius this weekend, and it suppose to stay nice the rest of the week.

Shorty
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't deal with it. I become unhappy, depressed, emotional, and unpleasant to be around. But after it passes, it's like someone's pulled a blanket off of me and I'm back to normal. Just have to get through it.

I feel significantly affected by the sun being up for longer now, and I've been coming out of SAD for a few weeks now.

Mirage
03-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Tons of vitamin D. It's perfectly possible to have less than optimal levels of that when there's almost no daylight, like up in norway. Vit D deficiency can contribute to feeling not too great.

Pumpkin
03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Summer sets off my depression which is super for where I live. It's hard for me to stay motivated, I almost always feel groggy, I have mood swings, and since it's now starting to warm up even more I've been getting a lot of headaches, feeling feint, a few other things. I also get sick much more often.

When I find out how I deal with it, I'll let you know. So far I'm leaning towards move somewhere with winter.

Spooniest
03-12-2014, 04:07 AM
I'm depressed all year round, but it's probably not because of the weather.

On topic, dealing with the winter blues is always a lot easier with hot cocoa. My preference for coffee is hopefully well-known, but hot cocoa is a welcome alternative, especially when (baby) it's cold outside. Snuggles are also recommended, providing you have a significant other (or even a pet) to snuggle with.

Here in the Sizouth, we're experiencing warmer temps lately...today was the first really warm day we've had. I noticed an immediate effect on my stomach, of all things, likely due to the fact that the sun was shining on it.

~*~Celes~*~
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the winter blues get me too. It was nice for two days, then today it's like "shit, what happened here?" Hubby probably won't be going to work unless they lift our level 3 snow emergency.

Casey
03-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Tons of vitamin D. It's perfectly possible to have less than optimal levels of that when there's almost no daylight, like up in norway. Vit D deficiency can contribute to feeling not too great.

Yeah this. Ever since I got my Vit D levels optimal through supplementation I noticed less depression. It's estimated that 1 billion people are deficient and more Vit D = more protein synthesis = more muscle mass.

Jiro
03-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I just get outside for a bit and it feels less troublesome. Snow isn't an issue here ever which in some ways is a shame but sometimes it's so hot that you don't want to leave in case you die but staying inside is horrible (and sometimes just as warm).

kotora
03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
My plan for this winter was to stay nice and warm in Asia.

That plan ended with me standing in Ukraine with temperatures down to -22C :monster:

Since then the weather has become better, and I learned to appreciate anything above -10C as 'not that cold'.

blackmage_nuke
03-17-2014, 04:43 AM
When frozen water falls from the sky here its less of a nuisance thing and more of a property damage thing since it never floats down as fluffy flakes and more as golf balls.

Jiro
03-17-2014, 08:38 AM
yes you raise a good point nukie