PDA

View Full Version : Classic Literature You Love

Calliope
03-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Because it's better to discuss things you like than sit around bitching online all day.

I'll start with a list: Krapp's Last Tape, The Screwtape Letters, Black Beauty, Robinson Crusoe, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Jungle Book, The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Okay, go!

Bubba
03-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Treasure Island

It never fails to cheer me up and whisk me away to a world of pirate-y goodness.

Loony BoB
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Lord of the Rings and the X-Men comics.

Jinx
03-13-2014, 02:58 PM
My all-time favorite book is Little Women.

Del Murder
03-13-2014, 04:19 PM
David Copperfield, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Three Musketeers, The Grapes of Wrath, Pride & Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22, Crime & Punishment, all Sherlock Holmes stories.

Bubba
03-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Catch-22

Yossarian is probably my favourite literary character.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-13-2014, 06:02 PM
It's honestly rare for me not to like stuff that I read. That being said, I really haven't read that many classics, and most of what I read was in college. Here is a list of classics that stick out in my mind:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Everything that Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor (a collection of short stories)
The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger
Franny and Zooey by Salinger (I like this one a lot better than Catcher)
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
Pretty much anything by Edgar Allen Poe
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

That's all that sticks out in my head right now. Some of them might not be considered "classics", I don't know.

Spuuky
03-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Dostoevsky is my spirit animal.

I Took the Red Pill
03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Too many to list, but some of my absolute favorites:

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov
Labyrinths by Borges
Invisible Cities by Calvino
The Waves by Woolf
Darkness at Noon by Koelster
Under the Volcano by Lowry
Hard Times by Dickens
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway

noxious.sunshine
03-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Harry Potter & Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland.

Del Murder
03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Ok, I may be old, but certainly we're not all old enough yet to consider Harry Potter classic literature.

noxious.sunshine
03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
lol I was sort of kidding on the Harry Potter bit

Shorty
03-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Dracula
Frankenstein
Les Miserables
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Swiss Family Robinson
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Hobbit
The Scarlet Pimpernel
To Kill a Mockingbird
Treasure Island
White Fang

My copies of White Fang and Treasure Island may be the books I've owned the longest.

Night Fury
03-14-2014, 06:41 AM
One of my favourite books ever is Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, it's fabulous and I really must read it again.

Pumpkin
03-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Fahrenheit 451!

Shiny
03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Flies
For Whom the Bell Tolls (This was Hemingway's best imo)
Blackboy (This was important for me to read, but more important for my bf to read so we read it together)
The Chronicles of Narnia (was good trout to me when I was younger now I just reflect fondly on it but it did make me desire Turkish delight everyday so thanks for that I guess)
1960s Spiderman comics
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
To Kill a Mocking Bird (This book royally pissed me off though)
Any Roald Dahl children's book (he's my favorite author which goes to show you how much of a child at heart I am)

Pike
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Oh hey we have a thread for this. Gonna copypasta over from the other thread:

Books I Read In School That I Actually Liked:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Jane Eyre
Crime & Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov (<---- favorite book)
Romeo & Juliet/Hamlet/Macbeth

When it comes to classics that I read by choice (i.e. not in school) it's mostly classic sci-fi. H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov (anyone who hasn't read the original Foundation trilogy is missing out on life), and so forth. And I love it all.

When I was a kid I read the heck out of all the Winnie the Pooh books as well as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass. Oh, and Beatrix Potter. :heart:

Shiny: my favorite Roald Dahl book is The Witches!

blackmage_nuke
03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Nineteen Eighty-Four
The Hobbit
I wouldnt consider Roald Dahl as classic literature but since Shiny did I'll add him to my list too
I read Treasure Island at a later age so it didnt incept itself into my brain as great literature but it was enjoyable enough.
I read The Jungle Book and liked it at the time but looking back the writing style was quite bland

As for movies/shows about classic literature I did not read but still enjoyed
Pride and Prejudice (2005) my only problem with this movie was that they took out the dance where Elizabeth refuses to dance with Mr Darcy which I felt was important for conceptual symmetry
Sherlock (the new series)
Sherlock Holmes (the movies with Robert Downey, Jr)
Sense and Sensibility (I dont know whether I liked the Miniseries or the movie with Snape more)
Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Oliver!
Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) even though it probably had very little to do with the source material

Mercen-X
03-15-2014, 09:07 AM
The Three Musketeers, Man in the Iron Mask, Treasure Island, The Prince and the Pauper, The Count of Monte Cristo... I own A Tale of Two Cities (got it in a collection) but I've never read it.

Bubba
03-15-2014, 11:38 AM
The Count of Monte Crisco.

By Alexandre... Dumb-ass. Dumb ass.

Del Murder
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll probably get judged here for this, but I also really liked Atlas Shrugged.

Big D
03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
To name but a few, in no particular order:

Romeo and Juliet

The Ballad of Mulan

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions

Brave New World

Mercen-X
03-16-2014, 08:46 AM

I sure hope the book was better than the movie... movies. Played more like a mini-series. You know, we rented Atlas Shrugged because my dad mistook it for Cloud Atlas. Then we almost didn't rent Cloud Atlas because my dad (once again) mistook it for the horrible Atlas Shrugged.

Miriel
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and Lord of the Rings are among my favorite books of all time.

Del Murder
03-16-2014, 08:36 PM

I sure hope the book was better than the movie... movies. Played more like a mini-series. You know, we rented Atlas Shrugged because my dad mistook it for Cloud Atlas. Then we almost didn't rent Cloud Atlas because my dad (once again) mistook it for the horrible Atlas Shrugged.
Never saw the movie but that book doesn't seem like one that would transfer well to film. I may not agree with all of Rand's ideology but I did find it interesting to see play out in a novel.

Shorty
03-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Oh, I forgot Oliver Twist!

Forsaken Lover
03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Sherlock (the new series)
Sherlock Holmes (the movies with Robert Downey, Jr)

Go forth and watch Granada Sherlock Holmes - the definitive Sherlock Holmes.
3UOTIW83oXs
csztWMhPOCw

Ayen
03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Does Emily of New Moon count?