PDA

View Full Version : [LR] Poor Dajh

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-14-2014, 06:44 AM
In every game whether it be turning into crystal, having his dad play mini-games to win him back, or losing his soul something always happens to him!

Poor kid is just along for the ride, trying to spend time with his dad.

Your thoughts on Dajh?

WildRaubtier
03-14-2014, 05:45 PM
ADORABLE

Noctis Caelum
03-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Feel bad for him, but at the same time he's a little bit on the annoying side.

Psychotic
03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
I think Square are really short in the ideas department when it comes to Sazh and Dajh.

Spooniest
03-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I for one don't understand the idea of including a character for "ethnic" appeal. It seems quirky at best, and slightly racist at worst. I understand Sazh is toned down from the "Awww hell naw" caricature that Barret Wallace was, but all the same, if you haven't hung with brown people, you shouldn't try to write dialogue for them. This may be the worst writing mistake committed throughout all of the 90's.

But this is getting into a weird area. As for Dajh, he's just the latest in a long line of woobie characters that get dumped on by the plot. Vivi comes to mind, as do Palom and Porom.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-15-2014, 10:39 PM
I've always kind of wanted to make a Lost/XIII crossover comic in which you see Sazh (yelling for Dajh) running past Michael who is yelling ”WALT!”

DMKA
03-17-2014, 03:28 AM
I for one don't understand the idea of including a character for "ethnic" appeal.

It's more for "OHHH HOW MYSTICAL AND DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE AND FOREIGN!" than anything when the Japanese do it. It's the same reason random crap is in English for no good reason. It happens in anime a lot too. :p

Loony BoB
03-20-2014, 06:29 PM
I for one don't understand the idea of including a character for "ethnic" appeal. It seems quirky at best, and slightly racist at worst. I understand Sazh is toned down from the "Awww hell naw" caricature that Barret Wallace was, but all the same, if you haven't hung with brown people, you shouldn't try to write dialogue for them. This may be the worst writing mistake committed throughout all of the 90's.

But this is getting into a weird area. As for Dajh, he's just the latest in a long line of woobie characters that get dumped on by the plot. Vivi comes to mind, as do Palom and Porom.
I don't even get how Sazh/Dajh's race even is an issue. I don't think it was in there for "ethnic appeal". He just had different coloured skin. I don't think his dialogue would have changed regardless of his skin colour (which is how it should be). I don't think it was ever mentioned in the game, either.

Psychotic
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
I've always kind of wanted to make a Lost/XIII crossover comic in which you see Sazh (yelling for Dajh) running past Michael who is yelling ”WALT!”THEY TOOK MY BOY

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-21-2014, 04:56 AM
I for one don't understand the idea of including a character for "ethnic" appeal. It seems quirky at best, and slightly racist at worst. I understand Sazh is toned down from the "Awww hell naw" caricature that Barret Wallace was, but all the same, if you haven't hung with brown people, you shouldn't try to write dialogue for them.
I don't even get how Sazh/Dajh's race even is an issue. I don't think it was in there for "ethnic appeal". He just had different coloured skin. I don't think his dialogue would have changed regardless of his skin colour (which is how it should be). I don't think it was ever mentioned in the game, either.

BoB is right. The only running gag for Sazh is how he's an old man and all the comedy that comes in relation to that. Being black in a video game does not automatically mean you're only there for "ethnic appeal", and it could be argued that your comment is "slightly racist at worst".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "if you haven't hung with brown people". They exist in Japan, as well.