PDA

View Full Version : Pi Day pies: what's your favorite pie?

SuperMillionaire
03-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Pi Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day)

Pi Day: Great for math and tastebuds (+video) - CSMonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/Modern-Parenthood/2014/0313/Pi-Day-Great-for-math-and-tastebuds-video)

Pi Day 2014 celebrated throughout the United States - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/tech/innovation/pi-day-math-celebrations/index.html)

Math geeks and pastry bakers rejoice: today is Pi Day! Yes, Pi is 3.14, and today is March 14, so this is Pi Day! (Oh, and it's also the birthday of legendary academic genius Albert Einstein, too.) And what better way to celebrate Pi Day than by eating pies, especially if they have the pi symbol on it?

Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference (perimeter) of a circle to its diameter, which is approximately 3.14, though the decimal can seemingly go on for seemingly infinity, so we'll just stop at that. And fittingly enough, pies, the pastries that we eat (or throw in others' faces), are most often circles.

In honor of Pi Day, what's your favorite pie? I like pretty much any kind of fruit pie.

Shorty
03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Chocolate mousse, banana cream, and peanut butter fudge are my favorites! I like pumpkin as well, but it isn't a favorite favorite.

I used to despise fruit pies, but I've come around to apple pie a la mode. Good stuff. I've also been considering trying key lime lately because as off-put I've been about it all my life, something about it just makes me want to give it another shot.

Moogle Chrome
03-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Ice cream pie. Assorted variations.

:kakapo:

I Took the Red Pill
03-15-2014, 04:23 AM
Yes, Pi is approximately 3.14Sorry, had to fix it

Depression Moon
03-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Sweet Potato pie is the only one I eat and those Hershey pies at Burger King.

maybee
03-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Math geeks and pastry bakers rejoice: today is Pi Day! Yes, Pi is 3.14, and today is March 14

Oh ! So that's Pi Day. Holy hell, I was so scared on Tumblr yesterday, I thought that everybody was going crazy.

Don't do pie sorry, dinner or pudding.

blackmage_nuke
03-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Why has every pie in this thread so far been sweet and not savoury? What is wrong with you people! Beef Pie with tomato sauce all the way

Agent Proto
03-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Why celebrate Pi Day on just a single day, when the whole month can be Pi Month?

I like most pies. Apple pies seems to be my favorite, I think.

Shorty
03-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Why has every pie in this thread so far been sweet and not savoury? What is wrong with you people! Beef Pie with tomato sauce all the way

You get the hell out of here with your beef and tomato sauce pies. I won't have it tainting my chocolate mousse.

Agent Proto
03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Chicken Pot Pie is pretty darn good though. :D

Shauna
03-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Chicken and Veg pies are glorious. A wee Scotch pie is nice from time to time too. I do like apple pies as well, though! I think the only pie I will actively avoid is steak and kidney, eugh.

maybee
03-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Why celebrate Pi Day on just a single day, when the whole month can be Pi Month?

March ( 3 ) : 20 (14)

Yeah he's right, Pie month everybody ! :jess:

Pumpkin
03-18-2014, 09:10 AM
My favorites are Banana Cream and also Lemon Meringue.

SuperMillionaire
03-20-2014, 02:10 PM

I already said "approximately" in my post; did you not see it?

Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference (perimeter) of a circle to its diameter, which is approximately 3.14, though the decimal can seemingly go on for seemingly infinity, so we'll just stop at that. And fittingly enough, pies, the pastries that we eat (or throw in others' faces), are most often circles.

March ( 3 ) : 20 (14)

Yeah he's right, Pie month everybody ! :jess:

Yes, March 2014 is in fact 3 and 14. The next two digits in the seemingly infinite decimal are 1 and 5, so next year will be 3/14/15. or 3.1415. Get it?

Parker
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Sweet: Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream, omg

Savoury: Mince Beef and Onion from the chippy, steak and kidney otherwise, omg.

Almost all pies are great though

I Took the Red Pill
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM

I already said "approximately" in my post; did you not see it? I did. That doesn't change the fact that that particular sentence was false.

I'll nitpick a bit more, too.

which is approximately 3.14, though the decimal can seemingly go on for seemingly infinity, so we'll just stop at thatThere's nothing "seemingly" about it. Pi is provento be irrational and thus is a non-terminating, non-repeating number in decimal form (or in any integer-base, in fact). There are numerous proofs of the fact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_%CF%80_is_irrational).

Parker
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
guys this is a pie thread stop nitpicking about maths you nerds

i mean honestly who cares about someone's casual sentence structure in a food subforum on a final fantasy forum we just want to know what pies you like omg

Jiro
03-22-2014, 10:21 AM
steak bacon and cheese is god tier

ned kelly pie is pretty great too. involves like mushrooms and shit which I appreciate but not for everyone.

steak and cheese is p. okay but lacks the quality of bacon and is therefore inferior

steak and potato (shepherd's pie) goes alright too but too much potato can detract from the meat

not the biggest fan of chicken pies but I've had a few good ones. usually looking at something like a Four and 20 pie though. I find them remarkably tasty for servo pies.

SuperMillionaire
03-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Cheesesteak pie? That sounds pretty good, actually. Don't forget the onions and peppers.