PDA

View Full Version : The Last of Us Impressions

Depression Moon
03-15-2014, 02:59 AM
I just beat The Last of Us a couple of days ago and man what a great game. The gameplay is great with a great mixture of action and stealth. It felt like a survival horror game at times. The story as well was very interesting and well written. There were a couple of cliches that bothered me a little bit though. The ending of this game pissed me off though. I liked Joel as a character all the way up to the point where he killed the first firefly guard. He seemed really selfish and jeopardized the return of civilization just because he wanted to refill his fatherhood with Ellie. Like Marlene said to him she knew Ellie since birth and realized that what she could do for the world mattered more than her personal affection for her. If you had Ellie read the letter from her mother she said she wanted to make her proud and I think her becoming a martyr for civilization would've definitely done that. I also suspect that Ellie was thinking that she could end up dying as a result during the spring season where it seemed like she had a bad case of ADD. If he really cared about her he wouldn't have straight up lied to her at the ending either. It wasn't ever explained, but that's just my personal suspicion. I never disliked a video game character to that extent before, but oh well I guess it would just going to happen eventually.

Slothy
03-15-2014, 03:21 AM
What you just said about the ending is exactly why the ending is so good.

Depression Moon
03-15-2014, 04:56 AM
To each his own. I did also find the gameplay a little easy even though I died quite a few times, but I was playing on normal. The premise of the game is to save resources because they're scarce, but I never felt that they really were. I always had plenty of nails, and sugar for smoke bombs and nail bombs. Blades were the only ones that felt scarce. I never felt I really had to conserve ammo expect during the moments you play as Ellie. On hard are ammo and other resources more scarce or does the difficulty increase encourage you to use more of what you have?

Bright Shield
03-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Joel was awesome in my book. I found his choice at the end, to be one of the most human choices in all of gaming.

Bubba
03-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Joel was awesome in my book. I found his choice at the end, to be one of the most human choices in all of gaming.

Absolutely. I was initially disappointed with the ending but after a bit of thought, I really grew to like it. After everything he'd been through with his daughter, there was no way he would let the Fireflies sacrifice her for the good of a cure... even though she would happily have sacrificed herself.

Sephiroth
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM
What Vivi said. And the ending was neither selfish, nor wrong and everyone who thinks that is wrong because there is no "wrong" choice for people's lives. You cannot increase the value of humans by summarizing them. And if I were Joel I would never sacrifice my daughter and despite not his bioligical daughter, Ellie was his daughter.

blackmage_nuke
03-15-2014, 01:18 PM
I expected a big final zombie blowout at the end where you are aided by any Fireflies you didnt kill so I went through the whole complex conserving ammo and keeping FireFlies alive for nothing

Game play was easy when you had an extra companion with infinite ammo as you could generally just run around in circles until they blew all the zombie heads off for you.

I was fine with the ending.

I can see potential for a sequel

Also was I the only horrible person one who
Let the quicktime events fail in the burning restuarant just to see if they included a rape scene

Del Murder
03-15-2014, 05:38 PM
This game was great, best game of last year and possibly best of the whole generation. I liked the ending and the 'evolution' of Joel and Ellie's characters. It was really well done in my opinion.

krissy
03-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Also was I the only horrible person one who
Let the quicktime events fail in the burning restuarant just to see if they included a rape scene

i friggin hope so

yeah ending was great i dunno what yer complainin about

i didnt like the gameplay until halfway through and i think that was cause i got used to it
it was stressful but i guess that may have been the intention

good game
better story/characterization

DMKA
03-18-2014, 01:41 AM
It really is a fantastic game.

Speaking of which, has anyone played the Left Behind DLC yet? I've heard nothing but good things about it, but it seems awfully short to me.

Ayen
03-18-2014, 04:46 AM
It felt like a survival horror game at times.

It is a survivor horror game.

I got The Last of Us with my PlayStation 3 last Christmas and I have heard nothing but good things about it since being released. I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet (I know, I know, hold off your angry PMs telling me to play it now) I plan to in the Summer, though. Being fashionably late is a ToriJ tradition.

Shaibana
03-20-2014, 09:59 PM
i love this game! i recently started to replay it and i cant let the multiplayer go!
i want to get the DLC Left Behind one day but i think im going to wait till the price drops a bit.

i loved the ending. it was emotional. eventhough it was very selfish of Joel.

i imediatly had trouble with the game since playing stealthy is really not my thing.
it frustrated me once in a while but i got through it!

Drift
03-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Amazing game, absolutely loved it. Has anyone tried the dlc yet though?

Shaibana
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Amazing game, absolutely loved it. Has anyone tried the dlc yet though?

im still bussy with my 2nd playthrough, but i think ill get it when im done with that :3
i am definitly getting it someday xD

i guess all the time i spend in the multiplayer have payed of, becaus now the game is easy, even on hard :l