PDA

View Full Version : It's corned beef and cabbage time

Moogle Chrome
03-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Aw, yeah... :kakapo:

I am ready to bicycle to a few pubs tomorrow for a little beer and a lot of corned beef, in so many forms. I am not ready, however, for the droves of crazy, drunken jerks I am sure to encounter. In America, the worst of people come out for St. Patrick's Day. Ugh.

If you're out tomorrow, be safe and have fun! I'm glad that I naturally have the day off of work. I live really close to a mile-long area with a number of Irish pubs on it. I'm going to go at it early to avoid the aforementioned drunken masses.

Cheers!

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 01:28 AM
I'm making corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes at home and hopefully sucker my bf into buying some beer and champagne - my mom loved champagne. And she always made corned beef on St. Patrick's Day.. So.

Moogle Chrome
03-17-2014, 02:09 AM
I literally just finished making 7.5 lbs of corned beef. YUMMO!

I couldn't wait for tomorrow, and I had too much time on my hands today. I'll still probably go out for more tomorrow, though, haha.

Shorty
03-17-2014, 02:40 AM
Corned beef and cabbage has been on sale for a few weeks, and a week ago my mom made a huge crock pot of it and there is still some left in our fridge. Got old fast, though, and I think I'm corned-beefed-and-cabbaged out.

Pumpkin
03-17-2014, 03:06 AM
I had never heard of this thing. I didn't know this was a thing.

Shorty
03-17-2014, 03:21 AM
You've never heard of corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day?!

Pumpkin
03-17-2014, 03:32 AM
No, I had never heard of this.

I'd heard of alcohol for St. Patrick's Day.

Hollycat
03-17-2014, 03:57 AM
Still haven't ever even seen corned beef in real life. I'd rather have cream corn and a hamburger steak anyways.

Moogle Chrome
03-17-2014, 05:19 AM
Where are you from, shion?

Pumpkin
03-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Ontario

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Sigh...

Poor sheltered children..

Nah..It's actually kinda sad.. When my sister, brother, and I all got to Texas, my dad was like "There's corned beef and cabbage leftover in the fridge that your mom cooked..." - it was the last meal she'd made. And so we I had to eat it so he wouldn't feel bad for throwing it out (he never cared for it and wouldn't eat it for obvs reasons)..

sharkythesharkdogg
03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I've had corned beef and cabbage, just because it's corned beef and cabbage.

Never had it for St. Patrick's day though.

Bubba
03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I've never heard of any Irish eating corned beef?? Can any Irish men/women on this site confirm? Maybe it's an Irish-American thing from when they all migrated to your shores.

I'm not a huge fan of corned beef though so I'll stick to celebrating St. Paddy's Day the old-fashioned way by getting bombed out of my skull. No chance I'm doing it on a Monday though so gonna wait until Friday when I meet up with all my friends. 21st March is not the traditional day to celebrate it but smurf it... I'm English.

Enjoy your day, Paddies!

Shauna
03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
I've never heard of any Irish eating corned beef?? Can any Irish men/women on this site confirm? Maybe it's an Irish-American thing from when they all migrated to your shores.

Yeah, it's new to me too. xD Wikipedia appears to be skeptical of the association between Ireland and Corned Beef. If they want to be truly Irish they should eat a baked potato with a side of mashed potatoes, and if they feel like it maybe some roast potatoes. Potatoes.

I also will not be celebrating St Paddy's on a Monday. Maybe later on. :3

Shorty
03-17-2014, 04:12 PM
I guess I'm not shocked it's an American thing, but I am shocked that it isn't as well-known as I thought xD

Bubba
03-17-2014, 04:41 PM
I guess I'm not shocked it's an American thing, but I am shocked that it isn't as well-known as I thought xD

Hey, tradition is tradition. Whether it's Irish or not, you can't argue with that :p

Please feel free to enjoy your questionable meat product and poorly chosen vegetable!

EDIT: I've just discovered that once again, American corned beef is different to English corned beef. Ours is a horrible minced corned beef mixed with gelatin and comes in a tin. The American corned beef we know here as salt beef which I've never heard of.

I'm sure the American version is nicer because to me... there is not much worse than an English corned beef sandwich.

Moogle Chrome
03-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Haha, seriously! Corned beef and boozing for St. Patrick's Day: it's all I know!

Related material:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/brutally-honest-st-patricks-day-facts_n_4957861.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Corned Beef and Cabbage: As Irish as Spaghetti and Meatballs ? Hungry History ? Food & Culinary History (http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/corned-beef-and-cabbage-as-irish-as-spaghetti-and-meatballs)

Shauna
03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Seriously, the corned beef we get here is disgusting and nobody should enjoy it. xD

Ah culture differences.

noxious.sunshine
03-17-2014, 05:34 PM
lawl

The kind in a tin is also a huge Filipino thing. My bf mentioned it and I was like "Wait. Hold up. Why the hell do you know what corned beef is!?"

& then he went on to say that it comes in a can... So I made him "real" corned beef and cabbage and he loves it.

It's just cured beef brisket.

Moogle Chrome
03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Irish-Americans Gear Up For 'The Reinforcin' O' The Stereotypes' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

(http://www.theonion.com/articles/irishamericans-gear-up-for-the-reinforcin-o-the-st,9200/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:NA:FTA)