PDA

View Full Version : Veronica Mars: The Movie

Skyblade
03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
I have to say, I'm sort of surprised that there is no thread for this already. The largest successful Kickstarter project has gone completely unnoticed?

My sister dragged me off to it yesterday. Overall, I quite liked it. I haven't seen more than the first season of the original show, so I'm not familiar with all the characters (especially the cameo characters), but I thought the majority of them were extremely well handled. The movie itself was also quite well structured. It was a bit more coherent and complete than any of the episodes I remember, due to the extended duration. The characters were fun, the atmosphere excellent, and the mystery was decent.

I liked it, and I also felt that it was extremely successful at what it was trying to do. It represented the themes and characters very well, and recaptured a lot of what made the original show as popular as it was. And if it's successful, it will give me a lot of hope for Kickstarter films and passion projects going forward. We may see some hope for things like a resurgence of Farscape. Or maybe J. Michael Straczynski will finally get to make a film based on the Lensmen novels the way he's wanted to for so long.

Ayen
03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
I haven't had a strong enough interest to go see it. I was never really a fan of the show, although I'd watch it when it was on. And when I say 'watch it when it was on' I mean having it on behind me while I did stuff on the computer.

Shauna
03-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Never knew it was out. Probably because Europe. I'll maybe give it a watch, but I'm the only one I know who has ever watched Veronica Mars. Maybe when it hits DVD.

Skyblade
03-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Never knew it was out. Probably because Europe. I'll maybe give it a watch, but I'm the only one I know who has ever watched Veronica Mars. Maybe when it hits DVD.

I know it's available to see online (pay per view streaming) as well as in theaters, but don't know about the DVD release date.

My sister is a huge fan, and has dragged off plenty of her friends, including those who haven't seen the show before. She said the overall reaction was "well, we know what show we're going to watch next". Advantage to being in groups that watch television shows regularly, I suppose.

Bunny
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed to be more of a two hour long episode rather than an actual movie, but I think it did a good job staying pretty true to itself. There were some minor gripes, but nothing worth mentioning or that bothered me much, some inconsistency here and there. I think it set itself up for another sequel very easily, which might have been one of the initial goals, who knows.

It was good seeing all of the characters 7 years later though.

LunarWeaver
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I also felt like it was an extended episode, but that's okay I guess. It was fun to revisit. I did enjoy the show, at least the first two seasons. I was never a rabid fan or anything. For me it was a lovely match of a well-written character main character and the perfect actress to play her. There was something missing from the rest of it that stopped me from being an intense fanboy about it.

Its origins as a Kickstarter success does open interesting doors and give hopes to everyone who loved canceled shows of the past.