PDA

View Full Version : Low-FODMAP Diet

Pike
03-21-2014, 01:21 PM
The doctor put me on this diet because she thinks I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It's a very boring diet.

Here is a small list of things that I am no longer allowed to eat:

Garlic
Onions
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Baked beans
Beetroot
Black eyed peas
Brussel sprouts
Broad beans
Broccoli
Butter beans
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chick peas
Fennel
Green pepper
Lentils
Kidney beans
Leeks
Mushrooms
Okra
Peas
Soy beans
Scallions / spring onions
Shallots

Apples
Apricots
Blackberries
Cherries
Lychee
Honey
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Plums
Prunes
Fruit in apple / pear juice
Watermelon

Bran cereals
Couscous
Pistachios
Rye
Semolina

Biscuits
Breadcrumbs
Cakes
Egg noodles
Regular noodles
Pastries
Pasta
Wheat bread
Wheat cereals
Wheat rolls
Udon noodles

Sugar free sweets
Agavae
Fructose
Honey
High fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
Inulin
Isomalt
Maltitol
Mannitol
Sorbitol
Xylitol

Beer
Dandelion tea
Fruit and herbal teas
Orange juice
Sugar free drinks
Sports drinks
Rum
Wine

Custard
Ice cream
Margarine
Cows Milk
Goat Milk
Sheep Milk
Soft cheese
Yoghurt

...please tell me that somebody else here has been on this diet before and has ideas for things that I can eat besides like... rice, bananas, and chicken. I mean that would be really, really super helpful.

Day two of Low FODMAP and I'm already craving ice cream. :crying:

Pike
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Okay.

Things I CAN eat.

Banana
Blueberry
Grapefruit
Grapes
Honeydew melon
Kiwi
Lemon
Lime
Mandarine oranges
Orange
Raspberry
Strawberry

Artificial sweeteners that do not end in -ol
Glucose
Maple syrup
Sugar (sucrose)

Butter
Hard cheese, brie and camembert
Lactose-free products, such as lactose-free ice cream and yogurt
Gelato
Rice milk
Sorbet

Bell peppers
Bok choy
Carrots
Celery
Eggplant
Green beans
Lettuce
Parsnip
Scallions (green parts only)
Sweet potato
Tomato

Oats
Gluten-free products
Spelt products

also meat/fish.

Parker
03-21-2014, 02:48 PM
There are a lot of great things on that CAN list and you should be able to eat a still fairly varied and healthy diet

Shorty
03-21-2014, 04:40 PM
There is probably much that you can eat, but that first list looks daunting to me. They've taken like, all of the best fruits and vegetables away from you D:

One of my good friends suffers from this and she confided in me quite a bit about her problems, and from what I gathered, it was a pretty severe case. She did have to be quite careful with what she ate. The problem with where we worked was that there was always a ridiculous, stupid, over-abundance of food everywhere, all the time - cakes for birthdays, breakfast items or pastries, donuts, cupcakes, bagels, buffet food, takeout food, sandwiches, jamba juice. Any excuse my company could bring to order food, they did, or people would just bring in things like red velet cupcakes simply to offer them up to coworkers. It can be difficult to say no to a giant chocolate cake or an afternoon of catered chinese food!

She would still find ways to enjoy treats or meals by taking very small portions of them - maybe a third or so the size of what a normal portion would be. She did have to be very careful when it case to greasy foods, and most of the time, ethnic foods seemed out of the question. No chinese, no mongolian, definitely no indian. I seem to recall her eating with us (the admin team) at thai and mexican restaurants, but I don't know if she suffered later because of it. Probably no cheeseburgers or fried things. If it involves oil or grease in one way or another, probably not good. I do remember her telling me she could not eat pancakes or waffles, and that made me incredibly sad for her. :(

Are those foods everything that are generally to be avoided by folks suffering from IBS, or did they run tests on your body? It seems to me that you should determine what is okay and what is not okay for your body, as not everyone with IBS are created equally. I'm not telling you to go against your doctor's orders, but maybe you can do your own testing for your body, if you're willing to endure the effects.

Sorry you have to deal with this, man :(

Calliope
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Wow Pike, that's awful. Where are nuts and seeds on the list?

It sounds like you can eat a lot of oatmeal, lettuce wraps, stir-fries, smoothies, fruit salad, roasted vegetables, soup and...spelt. I hope it works, though!

Old Manus
03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
I know people with IBS who can drink certain types of alcohol with no problems, and some who can't take a sip without turning their guts to mush. I think it can vary on the person.

But if you're really not able to have a beer, may God have mercy on your soul. :cry:

noxious.sunshine
03-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I googled FODMAP diet recipes and here's a few links.. Didn't rly look through them cuz I'm not sure exactly what kinds of foods you like, but..

Low FODMAP Diet Recipes collection - www.taste.com.au (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/low+fodmap+diet+recipes)

http://fodmapliving.com/

I saw corn isn't on the list.. You could have tacos that are made at home. xD Just off of that list, you can make fajitas of some sort.

You could also do a lasagna with eggplant noodles instead of regular pasta.. IDK how fat in ground beef would affect it, but to be on the safe side, get like a 90/10 or 93/7 ratio and add just a little bit of butter for flavor.

And soups

Slothy
03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Breakfast: Steak
Lunch: Steak
Supper: Steak
Snacks: Steak

There you go. Solved your diet for you. :)

Pumpkin
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
I, my mother, and all three children I have given birth to have had the opposite problem. It isn't super bad for me, but for the twins it was awful and they were basically encouraged to eat the stuff on your don't list and to avoid the stuff on your do list. Especially bananas. Bananas were a huge no.

I can eat pretty much anything, but if I eat too much from your list of things you can eat without enough stuff from your list of things you can't eat, I might have a pretty painful day or two.

Pike
03-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Wow Pike, that's awful. Where are nuts and seeds on the list?

I did a lot of searching for that and it seems like those are on the "okay in small amounts" list.

Are those foods everything that are generally to be avoided by folks suffering from IBS, or did they run tests on your body? It seems to me that you should determine what is okay and what is not okay for your body, as not everyone with IBS are created equally. I'm not telling you to go against your doctor's orders, but maybe you can do your own testing for your body, if you're willing to endure the effects.

The doctor wants me to go full restricted diet for a few weeks to see if the effects clear up, and then if they do I can re-introduce foods one by one to see what the problem foods are. The whole process sounds irritating! D: