PDA

View Full Version : Game of Teachers: A Spoilerific Classroom

Carl the Llama
03-24-2014, 12:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/2H0SMDa.jpg

A French mathematics teacher is said to have devised a powerful technique for keeping classroom chatter to a minimum: Whenever his class gets too noisy, he simply writes a spoiler from Game of Thrones on the board. As in: "Oh, you haven't finished reading A Storm of Swords? LET ME TELL YOU EVERYONE WHO DIES."

According to Belgium's Nieuwsblad (http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=dmf20140320_01033835), the teacher, at wits end with his noisy class, asked which of his students watched Game of Thrones. Around three quarters of the students raised their hands. "Well, I've read all the books," the teacher replied. "If there's too much noise, I will write the names of the dead on the board. They are enough to fill the whole year and I can even describe how they die."

When students in the class decided to test him, he delivered on his word, writing the names of everyone killed through the end of the series' third season, "for those who [had] not seen it." This resulted in what one student described as "a religious silence" for the rest of the lesson.

Nieuwsblad says the story was picked up from French site DansTonChat, where one of the teacher's students first related the event (http://danstonchat.com/15431.html), so it's difficult to confirm its veracity. Still, is it really so hard to believe a teacher like this exists? Someone who is long since caught up with the first five books of A Song of Ice and Fire and has no qualms with ruining things for his students?

More to the point, is it so hard to believe a teacher like this could exist? We can't help but hope that, somewhere out there, a teacher (who is also a rabid Game of Thrones fan) is reading this and deciding at this very moment to employ the spoiler tactic in his or her own classroom. Because it's evil. And it's brilliant.

If I was one of his students I don't know whether I would want to shake his hand or his throat lol.

Pike
03-24-2014, 12:27 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever read. Top tier ruse.

I hope to all that is good and holy that this is true.

Ayen
03-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Best. Teacher. Ever.

blackmage_nuke
03-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Yep great way to ruin the joy of reading for a generation which already has enough reasons not to read. Good job teach.[/sarcasm]

edit: Not to mention showing them at an impresionable age that its okay to spoil things for people if theyre really annoying you. If everyone did this the world would crash and burn

Iceglow
03-24-2014, 09:49 AM
To be honest, this would never work in the UK. The simple reason being that the class would sit there bitching that the teacher spoiled it for them. Then after that they'd go crying to to their mommies and their mommies would go crying to the Daily Mail about what an awful teacher their little babies must face. The teacher would wind up losing their job for being described by the Daily Mail as an abusive wannabe pedophile whose greatest aspiration in life would be to become Jimmy Saville.

Sadly, this is what the UK has become.

Jiro
03-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Look, the moaning poms thing is not a new term so don't try to say this is what the UK "has" become; it's this way and has been for a while. :shobon: I don't want to start that debate though.

Regarding the spoiler thing, look, I think it's great. I wouldn't have been so extreme up first though. One name each time they don't listen. Just keep stacking the names up there. Oh, little Guillame isn't behaving in class? Guess who dies. Maybe some school yard justice will get him to pay attention. I know that as a student I would hate to be punished for someone else being a dick but then if I gave a shit about it I would've read the books so w/e. Good job.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Yep great way to ruin the joy of reading for a generation which already has enough reasons not to read. Good job teach.[/sarcasm]

edit: Not to mention showing them at an impresionable age that its okay to spoil things for people if theyre really annoying you. If everyone did this the world would crash and burn

To be fair, the kids weren't reading it. They were watching the show. If anything this would drive me to want to go grab the books so that I can get ahead of the show too and not have it spoiled for me.

I'm iffy on how well this would work. In any of my time working with high schoolers, I've never heard any of them talk about Game of Thrones (though all of the teachers I worked with were both reading it and watching the show). Even if they were, the kids I taught probably wouldn't give a smurf about the spoilers and would just continue to be loud and disruptive.

Del Murder
03-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Haha, awesome. I'd totally do this if I was a teacher.

In fact, I might do it as a parent.

Bolivar
03-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I have no sympathy for these French non-reader kids!

Slothy
03-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Firstly, they were watching the show.

Secondly, a punishment isn't a punishment unless it's something the kids don't want to have happen. And seeing as they'll likely remember having the entire third season spoiled for them, they're not likely to do it to others for no reason.

Parker
03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
you know i'd be in the 1/4 of the class who hasn't and won't see this show so i'd be trolling to the max getting everyone spoilered to fill my perverse desires

the show isnt that great guys stop being nerds about things and making them worse for casual thing-likers like me

Crop
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
To be honest, this would never work in the UK. The simple reason being that the class would sit there bitching that the teacher spoiled it for them. Then after that they'd go crying to to their mommies and their mommies would go crying to the Daily Mail about what an awful teacher their little babies must face. The teacher would wind up losing their job for being described by the Daily Mail as an abusive wannabe pedophile whose greatest aspiration in life would be to become Jimmy Saville.

Don't be so dramatic.

I think it's pretty funny, and if it works - it works!

Iceglow
03-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Don't be so dramatic.

I think it's pretty funny, and if it works - it works!

It's called taking the piss tbh. Let's face it, sad thing is that the Daily Mail would try and run a good teacher out of a job for this. But I'm not saying it'd work.

blackmage_nuke
03-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Theres still a chance one of them might pick up the book and if its spoiled for them then that chance drops.

Also I was a relatively quiet student but if this were put in place it would give me every reason to make as much noise as possible so I couldnt hear the teacher spoiling things and never look at his board. Possibly steal all his chalk/marker.

Secondly, a punishment isn't a punishment unless it's something the kids don't want to have happen. And seeing as they'll likely remember having the entire third season spoiled for them, they're not likely to do it to others for no reason.

No theyre likely to remember how they lived through the experience, minimise the memory pf what they felt at the time and then take a lax approach to spoilers. Thats why people who are bullied become bullies, that's why people with smoking parents are more likely to smoke.

In fact, I might do it as a parent.

Then you'll only have yourself to blame when your children grow up with bad taste in tv shows. Because when something good comes along you decide to ruin it. Enjoy listening to them talk about Jersey Shore

Del Murder
03-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Then you'll only have yourself to blame when your children grow up with bad taste in tv shows. Because when something good comes along you decide to ruin it. Enjoy listening to them talk about Jersey Shore
I'll spoil that too

Ayen
03-25-2014, 06:35 AM
If they're watching the show then they already spoiled things for themselves that were in the books and I'm failing to see how spoilers suddenly makes a person grow up with bad tastes.

Del Murder
03-25-2014, 07:45 PM
If we live in a world where sharing spoilers on a TV show is among the worst things people do to each other then damn that is a pretty good world. Go ask your parents or grandparents what they got when they acted up in school. It wasn't the results of next week's Leave It To Beaver I guarantee you of that.

blackmage_nuke
03-26-2014, 01:05 AM
Because by spoiling something you've ruined that thing for them forever, the right piece of media could've changed their very way of thinking and feeling and you got in the way of that. I believe there's at least one perfect movie/show/book out there for everyone and this very thing could've been theirs and you took that away from them. There's only one chance in a lifetime to view something without knowing what it's about and when that chance is gone, barring a faulty memory, it's gone forever.

Del Murder
03-26-2014, 01:20 AM
All the more reason to respect your elders. So that they don't spoil the the ultimate story called life. It's awesome.

Raistlin
03-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Because by spoiling something you've ruined that thing for them forever, the right piece of media could've changed their very way of thinking and feeling and you got in the way of that. I believe there's at least one perfect movie/show/book out there for everyone and this very thing could've been theirs and you took that away from them. There's only one chance in a lifetime to view something without knowing what it's about and when that chance is gone, barring a faulty memory, it's gone forever.

Yes, I will never forget that moment when my mom ruined the ending for The Cat in the Hat for me. It was devastating. I have never since recovered, nor will I ever be fully at peace.

Del Murder
03-26-2014, 01:33 AM
I knew it was your mom who made you this way.

blackmage_nuke
03-26-2014, 02:48 AM
It doesnt matter for every movie for every person but the point is YOU dont know what movies will effect someone elses life. Just because it didnt have a deep impact on yours doesnt mean someone else wont find it profoundly insightful in a way which makes them see the world and themselves in a different perspective. Everything we watch Incepts ideas in our mind conciously and subconciously and spoiling it ruins the process.

All the more reason to respect your elders
People dont know theyre being Incepted when they watch a movie, they dont know if this is what will change their view of the world until they see it and you cant miss what you never had.

Example: What if there was a child who watched Wizard of Oz and when he found out Oz was a fraud subconciously got the idea "what if my god isnt real either?". This idea compounded with others in his future might give him the chance to grow up as an agnostic or an aetheist. Now what if that was taken away from him and someone told him the Wizard was fake and throughout the movie he sees "How could they think thats real, It's clearly not". Now the idea that his God might not be the one true hard doesnt sink in as hard or at all and his future is altered.

Del Murder
03-26-2014, 03:24 AM
I think you may have just discovered the cure for atheism. Hopefully the Christians don't find out.

Shlup
03-26-2014, 05:06 AM
I once got one of my turdier students (smart though he was) to do his homework for a whole week after promising to teach him how to beat Zant in Zelda: Twilight Princess. Pop culture can be a great tool for a teacher.

Old Manus
03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
That teacher's name? Albert Pujols