PDA

View Full Version : Lines and Dialogue That Makes You Cringe

Scotty_ffgamer
03-24-2014, 04:02 PM
As much as I enjoy FFX, I've been reminded of how many things Tidus in particular will say that makes me cringe. These kinds of lines probably existed in older FF games, but I think the move to including voice acting in this game helped to kind of highlight some of the more awkward things people say. Two I've encountered so far in this play through:

"I made it out of the frying pan... and into the freezer!"

"Crews of what?"

Ayen
03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I can't remember any specific lines since it's been a while since I played, but I remember the moment where he's making a fool of himself in public at Luca that made me cringe and feel embarrassed for the party. I just can't remember what he said exactly.

DMKA
03-25-2014, 12:40 AM
The Macarena reference made me roll my eyes. :p

The only things that have really made me cringe so far is how there are moments where the voice actors were seemingly directed to overact, especially in the case of Tidus. There are a handful of moments where he'll do this forced laughter thing (and no, I don't mean that scene where it was intentional) or hill do this frustrated grunting thing. Those kind of make me cringe because they seem so unnecessary and out of place.

Forsaken Lover
03-25-2014, 12:46 AM
No line of dialog makes me cringe as much as when Tidus leans in and starts sniffing Auron. Like, seriously dude.

Sephex
03-25-2014, 04:17 AM
"Before that, we are going to pray at the temple of Djoseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Just played that part today. She sounds way too cheery after the horrors they just witnessed. I get that Yuna is trying to be strong in the face of such hopelessness and chaos, but she sounded like a kid that was told she could have unlimited candy or something.

Pumpkin
03-25-2014, 04:24 AM
"Before that, we are going to pray at the temple of Djoseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Just played that part today. She sounds way too cheery after the horrors they just witnessed. I get that Yuna is trying to be strong in the face of such hopelessness and chaos, but she sounded like a kid that was told she could have unlimited candy or something.

That was actually one of my favorite lines by her :(

Sephex
03-25-2014, 05:16 AM

That was actually one of my favorite lines by her :(

It would have been fine earlier in the game. It's more of the context and timing of the line, combined with how she says it.

Noctis Caelum
03-25-2014, 06:29 AM
No line of dialog makes me cringe as much as when Tidus leans in and starts sniffing Auron. Like, seriously dude.
To be fair, Auron probably smells like a brewery, so I would definitely give him a good sniff too.

When I think of dialogue that is cringe worthy, the very first thing that comes to mind is the laughing scene with Tidus and Yuna. How unique of me to mention that, I know, but still.

Forsaken Lover
03-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Tidus: Now what's our goal?

Aurochs: TO DO OUR BEST!

They're like a frickin' kindergarten tee-ball team or something. I guess a decade without a single victory would make anyone aim for "doing their best" but you have to wonder if they just had no concept of what victory was before Tidus came along and that's why they always lose.

Fynn
03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
It's not exactly a writing issue, but a voice acting one.

"EAST BLOCK IN THE FRONT ROW!!!"

My ears bleed every time I hear it.

Ayen
03-25-2014, 08:18 AM

I remember that line. *chuckles* I'm sorry, it's just so goofy I can't help but laugh.

Skyblade
03-25-2014, 09:27 AM
The scene when you reach the first Rin Travel Agency. Where Tidus is talking to Yuna about Sin and the Calm.

I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like:

"What was it we did that was so bad? ...Oh, was it using lots of machina or something like that? Oh. ...Wait, was that really so bad?"

It just felt wrong. The tone and dialogue don't match up. In that one bit, he shifts through three different states. From cluelessness, to understanding that it was the machina, to questioning it. It happened way too fast to feel natural. If it had happened that fast, the reaction wouldn't have been bemused questioning, it would have been a lot more serious and intense, closer to Wakka's reaction on the S.S.Liki. "What, you mean Sin's killing everyone for something that happened a thousand years ago?! Are you sure?" That scene just never really felt right to me. Although it is all a writing and directing issue, not a voice acting one.

Carl the Llama
03-25-2014, 07:22 PM
"Sin is Come" - Random Al Bhed at the start of the game, didn't realise at first till I was just showing off FFX on the PS2 to my nephew who I was giving the game to now I had it on the PS3. All these years and I never realized because I never really bothered reading the subtitles, but I didn't know if can could read that quickly so I was reading them out to him and bam "Sin is come".

Skyblade
03-25-2014, 11:07 PM
"Sin is Come" - Random Al Bhed at the start of the game, didn't realise at first till I was just showing off FFX on the PS2 to my nephew who I was giving the game to now I had it on the PS3. All these years and I never realized because I never really bothered reading the subtitles, but I didn't know if can could read that quickly so I was reading them out to him and bam "Sin is come".

It's hardly the only oddity in Al Bhed.

That said, did anyone notice the incorrect subtitles for Wakka's inscription at the tournament? When the game against the Goers first starts, and Wakka and Lulu are there together, there's an inscription on the wall, and then subtitles, supposedly translating it. I actually paused it and took a go at reading it this time, and I found that the subtitles don't match up.

Subtitles:
My fondest memories are here. Wakaa, Captain of the Aurochs

Actual:
To my childhood dreams, farewell. Captain Wakka, Besaid Aurochs

FallenSilence
03-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Tidus: She said something about going to Macarena Temple.
Wakka: Macalania.
Tidus: Aye! (in a super-high pitched voice that actually HURTS.)

Also, after he's told about Yuna's heritage and is specifically instructed NOT to tell Wakka - what's the first thing he says?

"I gotta tell Wakka!"

I hate Tidus. So much.

Forsaken Lover
03-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Except he was referring to telling Wakka about how they had saved Yuna.

FallenSilence
03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
That's true, actually. Though I think Lulu still berates him for it anyway =P

I just find him altogether too whiny, pretty much any time he opens his mouth it makes me cringe. Like the bit where he has a breakdown at Home when he finds out the truth and it's meant to be serious and I just find it hilarious because of how terrible his voice is.

It's a shame really as I actually quite liked most of the other voices.

black orb
03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
>>> Most of Wakka`s lines..:luca:
Tidus is funny.

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I didn't realize how awkward the facial expressions were in FFX until FFX HD came out. It's actually improved the delivery of some lines I feel :p

Carl the Llama
03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I honestly dont understand the hate for Tidus' voice, I have never had a problem with it.

On a side note did anyone realize Kimahri and Wakka are voiced by the same voice actor, and also Hypello/Luzzu/Barthello/Graav are all the same actor.

Most surprising to me is Dona and Pacce are the same... can you imagine Dona' lines coming out in Pacce' voice lol.

Vermachtnis
03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
I can't remember any specific lines since it's been a while since I played, but I remember the moment where he's making a fool of himself in public at Luca that made me cringe and feel embarrassed for the party. I just can't remember what he said exactly.

"Stop right there Luca Goers!" Yea, that whole scene.

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2014, 07:45 PM
I loved that scene. He's up there acting like an idiot and the party is making these expressions like no wtf are you doing stop

Scotty_ffgamer
03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
This line always makes me laugh:

"People die and Yuna dances. When will she stop dancing? When will it stop?"

Sad scene, but for some reason the way this is worded has always made me laugh. I also think it's fun to think about out of context.

Edit: "You're... not dead?"

Cronien
04-01-2014, 11:45 PM
"Run! Protect Yuna!" by Kimahri. The fact that it's a human growling and struggling to sound feral shines through in that line, atleast in the English version.

Ayen
04-02-2014, 01:31 AM
I loved that scene. He's up there acting like an idiot and the party is making these expressions like no wtf are you doing stop

I can't fault his delivery, I was right there with the party in that moment.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-02-2014, 11:22 PM
"This place done for" - Wakka

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I always wondered if John Dimaggio accidentally slipped into his Kimahri voice a little on that line.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-03-2014, 07:00 AM
That's possible. I always forget they are voiced by the same person.

Jiro
04-03-2014, 08:54 AM

It's a Bible/more traditional English reference/style. I presume that "has" as the past conjugation of "is" didn't gain traction for a while. It is kind of strange when examining Al Bhed as a whole, but it easily demonstrates the difference in dialect. Al Bhed, as a cipher, is not as nuanced an invented language, so they had to do something to capture the "otherness".

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
"Magic? Element?!"

Really I love all of those scenes towards the beginning of the game where Tidus is like "I don't get it" and Lulu shakes her head or makes some gesture like "omfg this dumbass" and then goes on a lengthy explanation of the thing he doesn't get.

Jinx
04-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Every other sentence ending with "You know?"

Skyblade
04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
"Magic? Element?!"

Really I love all of those scenes towards the beginning of the game where Tidus is like "I don't get it" and Lulu shakes her head or makes some gesture like "omfg this dumbass" and then goes on a lengthy explanation of the thing he doesn't get.

Indeed. So much fun. Especially when she starts explaining things before he asks because she knows he's a clueless idiot at that point.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Sin's toxin, ya

Sephex
04-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Every other sentence ending with "You know?"

Yeah, that does get a bit annoying, you know?

Neptunia
05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
The al behd message in Home while its under attack. just that voice over and over again in the back ground. it sounds like some one saying "i'm annoying ha!" or something much worse that I won't post here.

magemasher
05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Moonflow baby, here we come.

Rin Heartilly
10-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Tidus: HA! HA! HA! HAAAAA!
Yuna: HA! HA! HA! HAAAAA!
*exchange glances*
Tidus & Yuna: HAA! HAA! HAA! HAAAAAAA!

I forgot in Luca if it was Yuna wanting to make Tidus laugh or the other way around but still....dat laugh.

Dat Matt
10-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Yuna wanted to make Tidus laugh because he found out about Jecht and Sin and whatnot.

Magic Pot
10-07-2014, 10:52 PM
The "But I want everything!" line from Tidus when he's having his childish little rant in Zanarkand. Ugh!

Nothing will ever trump that laughing scene in Luca, though.

Karifean
10-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Most of the "cringeworthy" moments people have brought up in this topic I usually have a hearty laugh at. When FFXHD came out me and my friend played it side by side on Day 1 and when we got to that Luca scene we both cracked up because it was so ridiculous and funny.

One moment that does make me cringe is Auron laughing in Luca just before he tells Tidus about his past with Jecht. What exactly was so funny?

Forsaken Lover
10-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Tidus was being a whiny, immature baby and BAAAAWWWWW'ing so hard.

Why shouldn't Auron laugh in his face?

Spooniest
10-12-2014, 10:07 PM
"Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"I hate you."

So bad it makes Tidus cringe.

I guess in Japan people don't LOOK PEOPLE IN THE EYES when they tell them they hate them. I sure do.

Forsaken Lover
10-13-2014, 01:42 AM
...Tidus didn't hate Jecht.... He was saying he loved his dad but he just couldn't get the right words out after so many years of resentment.

Freya
10-13-2014, 05:14 PM
So I got the remaster this weekend and kept running into the Stay away from the summoner lady to make her say it over and over. My boyfriend has never played an FF and was gaming on his laptop next to me on the couch. He was annoyed.

Success.

Polnareff
11-02-2014, 04:15 PM
They actually handled the "macarena" line pretty well. In the JP version, he mispronounces "Macalania" as "Malacania," which isn't nearly as funny.

Also, I always wondered what that Al Bhed voice kept saying when you go through the Al Bhed home. I always mute it every time, because it's JUST THAT FUCKING ANNOYING.

Cleric
12-02-2014, 11:00 PM
The infamous "Ha HA HA" Scene and the flash back scenes...Jecht was such a crappy father.