PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 2 JRPGs

John Davis
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for cool/fun JRPGs to play for the PS2. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Ayen
03-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Final Fantasy X & X-2 if they're something you think you could enjoy.
Final Fantasy XII. I didn't enjoy it, but a lot of people here have so you might too.
Kingdom Hearts.
Xenosaga.
And while not technically a RPG, it does allow you to make JRPGs and has a premade one you can play, so, RPG Maker 3.

Mirage
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Star Ocean 3. If you try to complete it on the hardest difficulty setting, that's basically the only PS2 RPG you need/have time for.

Slothy
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Persona 3 and 4.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
I believe Grandia II was ported to the PS2. I can't really say anything on how it plays on the PS2 because I played it on the Dreamcast. I've heard the game looks better on the Dreamcast. The gameplay is pretty fun. If I remember right, the story was pretty generic and the voice acting was horrendous, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 are pretty awesome. Though, if you have a Vita you should get P4 for that.

If you like turn based tactics type games, the Disgaea series is great.

Dark Cloud 1 and 2

This (and ToriJ's list) are the extent of what I've played I think.

CimminyCricket
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, .//hack, Shadow Hearts, Growlanser, Chaos Legion, Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2 (prequelish), Star Ocean 3.

Mirage
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
If you have the means to play modified games, you could also play the fan-made English patch of FF12 International Zodiac Job System version. I've yet to play it, but i've heard from reliable sources that the extra level of customisation and limitations make for a deeper and more tactical experience than the normal game does.

Of course, I am not going to suggest piracy so obviously you would have to buy the japanese version, rip it, apply the patch and burn it to a disc again because that's not really piracy!

Bolivar
03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
I can't recommend Dragon Quest VIII enough.

Pumpkin
03-24-2014, 06:50 PM
People have recommended the ones I was going to say :|

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Dark Cloud/ Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle)
Suikoden III/V (IV if you're feeling adventurous)
Xenosaga I/II/III
Kindgom Hearts I/II

Vyk
03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
I'll second the Persona games. They're so different and interesting

Forsaken Lover
03-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Why not the main SMT games? There was...I dunno, 2 and 3 I think? Plus Nocturne and Strange Journey. Never played any of them but it does seem like the Persona games have overshadowed the main series doesn't it?

To be a bit different, why not try the Ar tonelico games or Atelier? AT games though are relatively expensive and rare-ish on ebay but not sure about Atelier.

Also there were Tales games for the PS2, right? Play that. Don't play Star Ocean Till the End of Time. If you must play Star Ocean, pick any other game but that one.

Depression Moon
03-25-2014, 03:05 AM
No one here said Rogue Galaxy yet, so I'll say it. I haven't played it myself, but I loved the demo I tried years ago.

Also Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits and Legaia 2 Duel Saga

Raistlin
03-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden III, IV, and V

Those were the RPGs I enjoyed the most of the PS2 games. I've also heard good things about the Personas.

Jessweeee♪
03-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Star Ocean 3. If you try to complete it on the hardest difficulty setting, that's basically the only PS2 RPG you need/have time for.

Persona 3 and 4.

I second these, especially Persona c:

Another favorite of mine is Phantasy Star Universe.

John Davis
03-25-2014, 02:18 PM
There are a lot to choose from, but from what I understand, PS2 has a really nice collection of JRPGs. I am a fan of Final Fantasy X (only the gameplay really. I had the most fun at the end of the game doing sidequests and achieving stuff for completion). I also tried playing Makai Kingdom. While I really liked it at first, it became clear that the quirky mechanics of the game were often trying too hard to be "different". It is too much tedium for me. I realized how many ridiculously unnecessary stat considerations there are that I was extremely anxious the entire time I played the game. The way classes and their upgrades work is also incredibly terrible-- I simply am not willing to expend this much energy towards a game like this. Don't get me wrong, I like "complex" menu systems and all that great stuff but Makai Kingdom is trash. I may have really gotten into it if I were a good bit younger with more time on my hands.

I tried playing Disgaea and I got sidetracked before the first battle ended. That is not a testimony. I simply need to play it again at some point. I'm hoping it is a sensible version of Makai Kingdom.

And thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may find myself looking into Final Fantasy X-2, Persona games, Suikoden, and more.

CimminyCricket
03-25-2014, 07:47 PM
I beat all of the Disgaea games without worrying about the ways I could create the best characters. I was playing to beat the story and then maybe a few end game bosses. In the first game I even managed to beat Baal (level 9999 boss) without bothering to farm item people. The thing I like about Disgaea is that you don't have to farm. It's up to you how far you get in the endgame.

Laddy
03-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Tales of the Abyss, Okage: Shadow King, Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Mana Khemia, Magic Pengel, Shadow Hearts, Wild ARMs 3, Growlanser: Generations, Steambot Chronicles, The Bard's Tale, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, X-Men Legends, Odin Sphere are some games that have not been mentioned much and are decent-to-excellent.

Tales of the Abyss and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter in particular are recommended, as are Dark Cloud 1/2, Final Fantasy X/XII, Persona III/IV, Kingdom Hearts 1/2, and Dragon Quest VIII.

Also, Final Fantasy XI is still a damn fine MMO and Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms is good hack-n-slash. RPG Maker 2 is the better of the two RPG Makers on the PS2.

Forsaken Lover
03-26-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm gonna be starting the WA series in April when I get some cash. Heard some mixed things about 4 and 5 but it seems everyone likes 1-3.

Then again, out of those three, only the third one is on PS2. Wait, I forgot the Wild Arms 1 remake for the PS2, After Code F. Kinda pricy though, running about 40-50 on ebay.

Jiro
03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Wild ARMs 3 is one of the best games I've ever played.

black orb
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
>>> Here is a list: RPGFan Reviews - PlayStation 2 (http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ps2.html)

I always wanted to play "Eternal Poison" but i was not able to find the game :(..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Final Fantasy XII
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga Part 1 and 2
Okage
Suikoden III
Suikoden V
Xenosaga Episode 1 and 3
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
Dragon Quest VIII
Front Mission 4
SMT Devil Summoner: Raido Kuzunoa vs. the Soulless Army

Those off the top of my head get my highest recommendations.

Fynn
03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
I forgot all about Breath of Fire DQ! That game was awesome!