PDA

View Full Version : AVALANCHE

Ayen
03-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Let's talk about the group.

Now, when I think AVALANCHE I'm mainly thinking about the group as it appeared at the beginning of the game with Barrett, Wedge, Biggs, Jessie and Tifa with the hideout at the bar. That opening where you're storming the Shinra power plant and blowing it to hell remains among my favorite openings in a game ever. Had they made a spin-off where you played as them just going on missions throughout Midgar I'd jumped on it in a heartbeat. Jessie is still my favorite AVALANCHE member.

Discuss.

Jinx
03-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Someone needs to explain to Barret wat the caps lock button is.

Sephex
03-26-2014, 04:02 AM
Someone needs to explain to Barret wat the caps lock button is.

A common misconception. It's actually an acronym. This idea was explored in the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Turbo Zeta Omega 5th Edition Guide. Anyway, it goes...

All
Very
Angry
Lest
Any
Naysayers
Come
Hard
Eh?

It doesn't translate well to English, but whatever.

Spooniest
03-26-2014, 04:29 AM
Don't forget that your skinny ass' working for AVALANCHE now!

I always wondered about the guy who started AVALANCHE, and where he got the idea for the name.

I was under the impression it was an acronym, but I somehow doubt that what it stood for was very well-thought-out. Remember that many times, acronyms in Japanese are syllabic, i.e.:

Service
+
Games
=
SE GA

or

Pocket
+
Monster
=
Pokemon

...Apparently the unnamed (?) guy who started AVALANCHE (who Barret discusses when you talk to him at the Cosmo Candle) didn't ever think to tell him what it stood for.

Skyblade
03-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Don't forget that your skinny ass' working for AVALANCHE now!

I always wondered about the guy who started AVALANCHE, and where he got the idea for the name.

I was under the impression it was an acronym, but I somehow doubt that what it stood for was very well-thought-out. Remember that many times, acronyms in Japanese are syllabic, i.e.:

Service
+
Games
=
SE GA

or

Pocket
+
Monster
=
Pokemon

...Apparently the unnamed (?) guy who started AVALANCHE (who Barret discusses when you talk to him at the Cosmo Candle) didn't ever think to tell him what it stood for.

The technical term for those is, I believe, portmanteau, not acronym.

They could be named for the drink the founder was smashed on when he formed the group.

Pumpkin
03-26-2014, 06:23 AM
I haven't given it much thought as an adult, but 10 year old me thought it was because they were loud and caused lots of destruction.

Psychotic
03-26-2014, 07:52 AM
It's like five guys against the entire god damn Shinra private army. How on Earth haven't they been murdered or sold into sex slavery to Don Corneo or forcibly inserted up Heidegger's backside yet?

Sephex
03-26-2014, 07:59 AM
It's like five guys against the entire god damn Shinra private army. How on Earth haven't they been murdered or sold into sex slavery to Don Corneo or forcibly inserted up Heidegger's backside yet?

More like Don Cornholio, amirite?

Jiro
03-26-2014, 08:45 AM

Whoa, two of them are chicks. Maybe three: jury's still out on Biggs.

Sephex
03-26-2014, 09:08 AM

Whoa, two of them are chicks. Maybe three: jury's still out on Biggs.

His rolls of fat makes for passable boobs. Just put some make up on that face, dim the lights, and the $#&%ing room can be a 6/10 experience, easy.

MJN SEIFER
03-27-2014, 04:38 PM

Whoa, two of them are chicks. Maybe three: jury's still out on Biggs. I always thought that the only non-playable Avalanche character (as Tifa counts as one) who is female is Jessie.

Parker
03-27-2014, 08:27 PM
legit cried when biggs wedge and jessies were crushed unda the pizza...........rip. oi hope it was quick

Kalevala
03-28-2014, 08:28 AM
I can only hope my death is pizza related.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-29-2014, 01:27 AM
I remember being sad that Jessie wasn't going to be a main character in the game. She was one of my favorite characters for some reason.

Jiro
03-29-2014, 02:53 AM

Whoa, two of them are chicks. Maybe three: jury's still out on Biggs. I always thought that the only non-playable Avalanche character (as Tifa counts as one) who is female is Jessie.

Oh I know, and Biggs is canonically male in every other instalment, I'm just having a laugh :monster:

I am very confused that Wedge even died given that Aerith was tasked with taking him out of Sector 7. Did she just... forget?

Psychotic
03-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Canonical sources suggest that he wanted to stop by Seventh Heaven and grab the last of Tifa's cooking but was sadly crushed in the attempt.

Bubba
03-29-2014, 05:17 PM
The intro was one of my favourite parts too. Though I really loved the atmosphere when you arrived back at Tifa's Heaven where you are all knocking back drinks and being merry. You really felt they were a tight group with Cloud still a bit of an outsider.

I was pretty upset when Biggs, Wedge and Jessie died.

MJN SEIFER
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Oh I know, and Biggs is canonically male in every other instalment, I'm just having a laugh :monster:

I am very confused that Wedge even died given that Aerith was tasked with taking him out of Sector 7. Did she just... forget?I see.

Aeris was tasked with "looking after" him, which could mean taking him out of Sector 7, or tending to his injuries. I personally believe that he died before the plate fell, due to his fall, sometime while Cloud and the others are on the way up the tower. It can't be confirmed, but that's just why I always assumed.

Jiro
03-30-2014, 07:40 AM
It's just weird that it is never clarified or confirmed. Like, nobody is even "maybe Wedge made it out, too?" Aerith doesn't even say anything about it when you eventually meet up. That could've added some nice closure in Kalm, or even Cosmo Canyon.

Kalevala
03-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Canonical sources suggest that he wanted to stop by Seventh Heaven and grab the last of Tifa's cooking but was sadly crushed in the attempt.

Crushed by a &^#$# pizza in his pursuit of food. Hah.

MJN SEIFER
03-30-2014, 09:36 PM
It's just weird that it is never clarified or confirmed. Like, nobody is even "maybe Wedge made it out, too?" Aerith doesn't even say anything about it when you eventually meet up. That could've added some nice closure in Kalm, or even Cosmo Canyon. Yeah, I get what you mean.

Skyblade
03-31-2014, 04:04 AM
Awesome
Vigilantes
And
Legendary
Anti
Nature
Corporation
Hunting
Enterprise

Yeah, SOLDIER is a better acronym. Le sigh. :(