PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Memorable Moments from Final Fantasy X

Pumpkin
03-27-2014, 05:25 AM

*contains spoilers*

These are some moments from Final Fantasy X that have stuck in my head throughout the years. Some encouraging, some sad, all contributing positively to the experience. Who could forget when Tidus was taken away from his fame and nearly eaten by a skeletal fish? Or how about when the group makes their grand appearance from the airship during the wedding scene? There were so many moments to draw the player in, to excite them and make them feel all kinds of emotions. Here, I'm going to share the top 5 moments that stick out for me the most. I hope you enjoy!

5. Lulu and Chappu on the Farplane

The number 5 most touching moment on the list is when Lulu finally starts to truly accept Chappu's death. Before now, we'd heard a lot about him, and we knew about his relationship to Lulu, but not to this extent. We knew that he and Lulu had something special, as she often gets defensive whenever Wakka mentions him, showing how they both grieve differently. We know that Lulu was angry at Luzzu for taking him away from her to join the Crusaders, leading to his death. And we know that of the struggles Lulu has faced, such as failing to be a guardian before now, Chappu's death is one of the hardest things for her to deal with. But in this moment, we finally get a better look at what they had together.

Lulu
"He is dead, and I am still alive. Coming here really makes that clear. I should focus more on what I have to do now." [She laughs]
Tidus
"What?"
Lulu
"I'm not even sure what I'm saying."

You can tell she's having some trouble dealing with his death. Wakka is the one who summons him, talks to him, updates him on current events. Lulu meanwhile stands back and watches from afar. It shows she wasn't yet ready to accept his death. But seeing Wakka speak to him and seeing Chappu really hits home for her. This shows a lot about her stoic character, never letting her emotions show through too much. Seeing her vulnerable was memorable, and also represented a different form of grieving, adding a very human element to her character.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52367d1394145402t-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-lulu.png (http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52367d1394145402-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-lulu.png)

Finally she is able to realize that he has passed away and she needs to move on and focus on being a guardian to Yuna, maybe even opening herself up to the possibility of love once again. It's a touching scene as it allows us to see a more vulnerable side of Lulu, which doesn't come out often. What's more, it allows us to get a glance at the love that the two had between them.

I was personally very touched by this scene. I enjoy characters I can relate to and who make me feel for them. Lulu has mostly kept to herself, keeping her feelings inside, the exact opposite of how I usually end up dealing with things. So to watch her finally be emotional and express her feelings was touching. I finally understood how she felt, and I was there to comfort her through the screen. I think the best part was that she still stayed Lulu while doing it. She didn't suddenly become an over-emotional crier, she just expressed her sadness, expressed how she missed Chappu, and finally let us see what's in her heart.

Lulu
"I won't be forgetting either. Goodbye, Chappu. You always said I looked grumpy. But those were the happiest days of my life."

4. Yuna Becomes a Traitor of Bevelle

Kelk
"You have inflicted dire injury upon Maester Seymour Guado... conspired with the Al Bhed and joined in their insurrection. These are traitorous and unforgivable crimes that disturb the order of Yevon."

This is a hard hitting moment in the game. Before now, Yuna was a Summoner following the order of Yevon. She was the daughter of a High Summoner, she was a devout believer in the teachings of Yevon, she dedicated her life to its cause. But when she stands up for what's right, defeating Seymour and trying to perform a sending on him she becomes a traitor to the people she held so dear. This is an important moment in the game, because Yuna was taught from the beginning that Yevon is law, Yevon is right, Yevon is great. Suddenly, what she had grown up to trust in has forsaken her. With this moment, we begin to see a much darker side of Yevon, and it also shows Yuna stepping in to her own and abandoning her previous floor-mat type of personality.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52368d1394145696t-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-bevelle.png (http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52368d1394145696-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-bevelle.png)

Mika
No matter how many summoners give their lives, Sin cannot be truly defeated. The rebirth cannot be stopped. Yet the courage of those who fight gives the people hope. There is nothing futile in the life and death of a summoner. Those who question these truths--they are traitors!"

This scene definitely had my full attention. I'd heard about Yevon for the whole game, but we didn't really get to the heart of it. The first time playing, it was certainly a shock to see what this great Yevon faith was all about. It showed the main faith, the one that guides so many people, in all of its faults. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like for people who grew up with it their whole lives, like Yuna and Wakka.

In the end, Yuna chose to stand up for what she thinks is right, regardless of if she has the necessary support or not. The journey becomes harder for Yuna from then on, even having to fight fellow Summoner Isaaru who is loyal to Yevon. It's difficult for her. Isaaru had been encouraging to her up to now, starting a friendly rivalry on their quest to defeat Sin, adding a little bit of motivation to both of them. Yuna also respected him, and felt a camaraderie, seeing as how he is a fellow summoner and they're both fighting towards the same goal. Seeing him abandon that shows just how deeply ingrained it is to be completely loyal to Yevon, furthering the importance of Yevon forsaking Yuna.

Isaaru
"The temple's orders are law. Even if you are Lord Braska's flesh and blood... You're a traitor!"

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52369d1394145887t-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-isaaru.png (http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52369d1394145887-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-isaaru.png)

It shows commitment of character that she never gave up, and it shows that she isn't doing it for the love or for the support, but for the people of Spira. She wants to end their suffering and end Sin, even if it means being a traitor of Yevon. Considering how important Yevon is to all of the people of Spira, it shows how great and devoted of a person she is that she will be willing to fight and to sacrifice her life for the people who believe she is a traitor.

I thought this was a great moment, and is one of the reasons I enjoy Yuna's character so much. She starts the game saying her and Tidus meeting must be the blessing of Yevon. She respects the maesters and the temples immensely. She dedicates her life, literally, to the teachings and to bringing peace to the people of Spira. What was so great about her character is that she will put all of that aside for the good of the people. Even if they think she is a traitor, even if those she used to respect and look up to say she is a traitor and order her death. She does what she believes is right and she still fights with all of her heart for the people. There is no bitterness or anger towards the people who had started to hate her, and her positivity and determination are great qualities that made me respect her character even more.

Kelk
"You have been branded a traitor, but still you would fight Sin? Lost to the temple, hated by the people, yet you continue your pilgrimage? Everything lost! What do you fight for?"
Yuna
"I fight for Spira. The people long for the Calm. I can give it to them. It's all I can give. Defeating Sin, ending pain... this I can do."

3. The Defeat of the Crusaders

Operation Mi'ihen was very touching. The Crusaders teamed up with the Al Bhed to fight Sin. They went against the teachings, they were forsaken by Yevon, but they were willing to sacrifice their reputation and even their lives to try and rid Spira of Sin. Together the Al Bhed and the Crusaders gathered Sinspawn from all over Spira, hoping to lure Sin to them. The plan was to attack him with powerful Machina machines, forbidden by Yevon, and then the Crusaders were to attack head on.

This scene provides a very human feel to characters who aren't part of the main party. You see everyone fight so hard, sacrificing everything, so that everyone else can live a better life. It shows that the people made out to be the enemy, those who go against the teachings of Yevon, are still good people with good intentions who want nothing more than to be rid of Sin.

Seeing this as an outsider to the world of Spira, I was rooting for them. There is an obvious amount of racism towards these people, and those who have fought for Yevon are forsaken. That upset me, as these people were clearly trying to do good. All they wanted was to help others. But people couldn't see past how they were doing it. It is one of the few moments in game where I appreciated Seymour, who said he was hoping for their success. Seymour turned out to be a bad guy with other thoughts, but before I knew that, I was happy to see someone support them.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52370d1394146021-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-miihen.jpg

After all of their preparations and planning, they are swiftly defeated in one of the saddest moments in the game. The Machina don't stand a chance and are promptly destroyed, and the Crusaders are wiped out in a matter of seconds. Yuna tries to help them by summoning Ifrit, not wanting to sit and watch them all die, but lacks the necessary power to do so. Instead, she performs the sending to put them to rest. Gatta loses Luzzu, a friend he held so dear. Luzzu saved Gatta's life by forbidding him to join on the front lines, knowing he would most likely lose his young life. The shore is in shambles, there are dead bodies everywhere. The plan failed. Yuna puts a happy smile on her face and tries to press forward, as do the others, the memory of their fallen friends forever with them.

This is easily one of the saddest moments in the game for me, and I think it was executed excellently. You can feel the sorrow once the scenes are over. The music, the bodies, all of it made you feel the weight of what had just happened, even if you saw it coming. I usually didn't let Gatta fight and so he would normally survive, and I would run in to him on the Djose shore and he would yell and you could feel the pain coming from him. Surviving didn't seem like such a blessing at that time. Kimahri speaks to Tidus for the first time, fully expressing how serious the situation is, and doing his best for support.

Even walking the Djose Highroad after feels heavy and sad. Talking to the monks, you can see people putting aside their differences and the Temples still helping those who suffered a huge loss, even if they did something against the teachings. It was a very sad moment in the game, and I felt for them the whole time.

Seymour
"But now more than ever, you must be the people's strength, their confidence. Anyone else would be expected to show their sorrow. But you...are a summoner. You are Spira's hope."

2. Kimahri and His Tribe

Kimahri has a mostly minor story in the game. He is quiet, he doesn't speak much. Through the game he is often subject to intimidation tactics by two fellow Ronso named Biran and Yenke. The call him names and push him around. Biran and Yenke are first seen in Luca, laughing at Kimahri for not protecting Yuna, a task he takes very much to heart. We see them later on, continuing they're verbal assaults on Kimahri. Tidus tries to interfere at one point, but is told it isn't his business. Finally, upon arriving to Mt. Gagazet, Kimahri's home, he stands up for himself and gains the respect he deserves.

Biran
"Kimahri not pass! Kimahri shame Ronso brothers. Kimahri forget his birth."
Yenke
"Forget his people, forget his mountain. Little Ronso! Weakling Ronso!"
Biran
"Mountain hate the weak, hate the small. If you will climb..."
Kimahri
"Then I must prove my strength!"
Biran
"Think you will win? You not forget who took your horn! Never forget!"
Kimahri
"This time, I win. I will win!"

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52371d1394146206-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-biran-yenke.jpg

Kimahri defeats both Biran and Yenke in an impressive display of strength. This moment stands out because of the characters quiet demeanor, and his tendency to stay on the sidelines. He finally steps out in to the spotlight, resulting in a touching and powerful moment. Thankfully, the two Ronso admit their defeat and finally acknowledge Kimahri for the respectful Ronso that he is.

Personally, this was the most cheer worthy moment in the game. Kimahri is my favorite character, and he doesn't get many scenes that focus on him. You see little glimpses of his personality, you know how strongly he cares for Yuna above anything else. I respect him and how he cares for his friends and if that means betraying Yevon, if that means using Al Bhed machina, if that means fighting a maester, he will do it in a heartbeat. He doesn't hesitate, he knows who he is, and he knows that he will do what's right for Yuna and the others. He proved he would easily put his life on the line for Yuna as her guardian, but also as her friend. It even shows how good he is when Auron is dying and asks for his help with Yuna, that he doesn't even hesitate and just does it. He didn't know either of them at the time, but he still did it, because he felt it was right.

This scene was finally Kimahri's turn to come in to his character even more, to wrap up lose ends in his story, and to earn the respect of his tribe. There was not a single other fight in the game I would have cared about losing as much as this one. I wanted Kimahri to win probably as much as he wanted to win. And I was cheering him on the whole way.

Biran
"Strong is Kimahri. Biran is happy. Sacred Mount Gagazet! I honor the name of strong warrior who defeats Biran. Remember always, Gagazet! That name is Kimahri!"

1. Yunalesca Reveals the Truth

Of all of the memorable moments in the game, I would say the most powerful would be when Yuna and her Guardians finally arrive in Zanarkand and confront Yunalesca. They journeyed far, they went through many trials, and the finally arrive to their destination, only to find that things aren't as they had been taught their whole lives.

Yuna
"Might I ask something first? Will Sin come back even should I use the Final Summoning to defeat it?"
Yunalesca
"Sin is eternal. Every aeon that defeats it becomes Sin it its place... And thus is Sin reborn."

The heroes are understandably taken aback by this revelation. After training and fighting so hard to defeat Sin, it is soul crushing to hear that Sin will never stop, but instead continue on for eternity. This is a powerful moment, as it shakes the entire beliefs of the characters, particularly Yuna and Wakka who took the teachings to heart and based their lives off of them. Yuna dedicated her life to defeating Sin and letting the people of Spira live in peace, and to hear that the Pilgrimage that she traveled through would only contribute to the cycle of Sin is unacceptable.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52372d1394146449-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-yunalesca.jpg

Lulu
"This...this cannot be! The teachings state that we can exorcise Sin with complete atonement! It's been our only hope all these years!"
Yunalesca
"Hope is...comforting. It allows us to accept fate, however tragic it might be."

In this moment, they learn how everything they were taught to think their whole lives was nothing but a lie. But instead of accepting it and continuing as many Summoners before them, they choose to break the cycle. This is an intense moment, and I was worried and nervous for our heroes. Things have been the same for 1000 years, how would they break the cycle? How much more difficult and trying would this be on them? What else would they have to do for this battle? How would they find a way when no one else had? I was excited, scared, nervous, all at the same time.

Yuna
"I would have gladly died. I live for the people of Spira, and would have gladly died for them. But no more! The Final Summoning... is a false tradition that should be thrown away."
Yunalesca
"No. It is our only hope. Your father sacrificed himself to give that hope to the people. So they would forget sorrow."
Yuna
"Wrong. My father... My father wanted... to make Spira's sorrow go away. Not just cover it up with lies!"

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/contributors/52373d1394146564-article-top-5-moments-final-fantasy-x-yuna.jpg

The words spoken by our heroes were motivating and inspiring. I felt their desperation. They'd had enough of Sin, of the cycle. Everyone had had enough, and they were finally taking a stand to do what was right once and for all. I was rooting for them.

This could be considered the greatest moment in Spira's history. It is where false traditions are thrown away, and it opens the door for Sin to be defeated forever. It changes how everything in Spira takes place, it changes peoples beliefs, it leads to the acceptance of the Al Bhed, but most importantly, it leads to the final destruction of Sin, a terror which has plagued Spira for a thousand years, causing countless deaths. This is where Yuna and her guardians become Spira's true heroes.

Those were my favorite moments in Final Fantasy X. What were some of yours? Did these moments have as strong of an impact on you? Share your thoughts!

Jiro
03-27-2014, 06:18 AM
I would only add the raid on Bevelle because that cut scene is one of the greatest of all time, right up there with the Garden Battle.

Vermachtnis
03-27-2014, 08:04 AM
"I learned to practice smiling when I'm feeling sad."

I wanted to add "That laughing scene," because it is memorable. But more than the scene itself, I remember Yuna's line that started it. It's within the first few hours of the game and we already know Spira's not exactly the happiest place and summoners are just about the only thing of real happiness. And I think that line sets the tone of the whole game. Everything looks fine and happy on the outside, but inside not-so-much. And to hammer that line home, just a few minutes later at Rin's Agency, You the player see Yuna crying, but wipes it away and smiles at Tidus. And speaking of Tidus and Yuna...

And I've been telling Yuna... Let's go to Zanarkand together! Let's beat Sin! I told her all the things we could... we could... And all along, the whole time, I didn't know anything! But Yuna, she'd... just smile.

The moment Tidus and the player finds out what "The End" is. That Yuna's going to die. I could say the whole Home Arc was memorable. I mean at the end of the last arc, you killed Seymore and then Sin showed up and you wake up in a desert with no one around. You slowly get everyone back, but Yuna. You find Home under attack and the annoying chatter aside, it was an intense dungeon.

"It's the right thing to do."

It's a small one, but again outside Rin's Agency you find out about the Chocobo Eater and Tidus as the bright idea to kill and offers that as his reasoning and Auron responds "Jecht said that alot too." Up to this point you've seen two faces of Jecht; the assholic emotionly abusive father and the legendary guardian. And even though you know it's the same person it's still a little hard to believe. Then this happens and you find out he and his son have the same tendencies and you know that even though Jecht wasn't exactly father of the year, he at least instilled some sense of right and wrong into his son before he left.

"Yuna becomes a traitor" and "Yunalesca reveals the truth" rounds out my five and I don't think I could add any more on it.

Psychotic
03-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Great article. I was naive enough to think the Crusaders would triumph. Oddly it always broke me up more to see the chocobos dying rather than the people riding them.

Karifean
03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Some more:

- Reaching Zanarkand -

This is basically everything from defeating Sanctuary Keeper up until reaching Zanarkand Dome. The tracks "Wandering Flame", "To Zanarkand" and "Fleeting Dream" are used splendidly here to create a solemn atmosphere that really sticks with you.

Tidus and Wakka speak about how long their road has been. As a player, I found myself mentally agreeing with them - it has been a long, eventful, unique pilgrimage. This is also one of my favorite Auron moments, and one moment where his past regrets really shine through: "I wanted to change the world too. But I changed nothing. That is my story." And he walks away slowly.

Then we get a good view of the destroyed metropolis. At this point, all hope that this was Tidus' Zanarkand was abandoned, we knew this was going to be ruins. Still, seeing it like this while hearing Tidus' thoughts, I couldn't help but feel down. This... was the end. The last stop of our long journey. And at the end of it, Yuna would...

Rikku doesn't accept it. She once more tries to convince Yuna to try to find another way. The two share a moment of unspoken farewells, with Yuna thanking her for her aid and Rikku still in denial. Then comes Yuna's sphere, where she also speaks her last messages to all other party members, hesitant to mention her own fate, but thanking everyone from the bottom of her heart.

Following this we reach the campfire and experience the repeat of the game's intro. It still is my favorite intro out of any FF game thanks to To Zanarkand, and it gets you invested even further.

Then, the solemn march begins. Fleeting Dream starts playing and as we trek through the Zanarkand Ruins, it never stops. This is not the time for fancy victory poses or themes, this is merely a static march until we reach the end. If we had any reaction now, it would break down. Until... the trials begin.

- The Ending -

My absolute favorite moment from FF in general, the ending of FFX is amazing. And when I say ending, I mean pretty much everything that happens after the final boss fight (Braska's Final Aeon). First off, you fight the aeons, your allies who have stood by you all game, one by one, and kill them. Yuna is visibly torn up by this but she still presses forward, believing till the end that this is the only way.

Then, Tidus announces to the group that along with the aeons, he himself will also disappear. Most of the group is confused by this revelation and Yuna appears frightened - but Tidus doesn't leave them time to think about it too much. Yu Yevon is fought, defeated and the sending begins.

Yuna sends all the souls of the dead that could not rest for the past 1000 years. She is surprised to see that Auron, as well, is dissolving. However Auron urges her to continue and entrusts Spira to them as he fades away. As the sending continues, all the aeons, fayth and Sin itself dissolve into pyreflies. And finally, Dream Zanarkand follows. All of it... disppears. Tidus realizes his existence is fading and although Yuna is shocked and unacceptant, he has to go.

She cannot let go of him easily, and we see her whistling at the sea in faint hope that he might respond. To no avail, of course. However, Tidus may be gone, but for Spira, things are finally looking up. Sin, the curse that plagued Spira for 1000 years, is dead, and will not return. Everyone in Luca is euphoric. And with that, Spira walks forth into a new age, with only Yuna silently clinging to her dream that has faded.

(I also especially love Yuna's monologue at the end of X-2 in reference to this. She has completely abandoned the belief that "sacrificing yourself for the greater good" is a viable solution. Love that.)

Finally, to add to your #1, I would also mention the scenes directly beforehand where you see past Auron's resolve not only wavering, but completely shattering as he desperately tries to convince his friends to turn back. And then present Auron lashes out at his past self - another of his most powerful scenes.

Kalevala
03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Another great shion article. We should do a "top 5 memorable moments" for some other games in the franchise, as well. That'd be a great read.

Carl the Llama
03-29-2014, 02:33 AM
For me my top 5 moments are:

1). Rikku reveals the truth to Tidus.

For me this is my all time favourite scene from the game, make my emotions go... and that is really rare in film or game.

2). Sin Vs The Al Bhed & The Crusaders.

The whole scenario, when you go down to find Gatta crying on the shore, not as powerful as 1 but still pretty high up there.

3). Yuna & Her Guardians at Mt Gagazet.

I just love it when the Ronso acknowledge her right to pass, and the way she convinces them is just awesome.

4). Sin Vs Zanarkand.

Who can watch the intro into the game and forget about it, it's the beginning of such an epic journey after all.

5). The Ending

Finally we get to the ending, such a controversial ending, it is certainly unforgettable.

Honorable mention goes to the destruction of Killika.

Pete for President
03-29-2014, 02:45 AM
Good thread! If I find the time I will make a top 5 too : )

Dark_Valentine
03-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Great article. I was naive enough to think the Crusaders would triumph. Oddly it always broke me up more to see the chocobos dying rather than the people riding them.
Hey, the chocobos dying is pretty emotional...

Jiro
03-30-2014, 09:35 AM

The people chose to be there.

Forsaken Lover
03-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey, the chocobos dying is pretty emotional...

http://i.imgur.com/YMEJ4.jpg

Skyblade
03-30-2014, 02:07 PM
"Everyone died but me."

Zaeed Masani in Chocobo form.

Forsaken Lover
03-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Seriously though, great list in the OP. I really liked the trial in Bevelle when the nature of Yevon is revealed.

I really liked the music and power behind Mika's speech in particular. "Men die. Trees die. Beasts die. Even continents perish. Only the power of death truly commands in Spira." All that was awesome. One of my favorite quotes in the game.

black orb
03-30-2014, 03:50 PM
>>> My top 5 favorite FFX moments, memorable? Im no sure..:luca:

1- Tidus "Stop right there Goers" moment.
2- Tidus` shadow boxing, the fast paced ones are my fav.
3- Tidus and Yuna laughing scene.
4- Tidus getting hit by multiple sinspawns underwater while he was unconscious.
5- Tidus screaming out loud for any stupid reason.

Bonus track: Wakka shouting "Yuna, we'll save you!" underwater.
Gotta love this game..

magemasher
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Operation Miihen has ww1 trench warfare feel to it. It always reminds me of the last episode in series 4 of Blackadder.

Colonel Angus
05-10-2014, 01:57 AM
I like when Father Zuke shows up, because he looks like a stick of roll-on deodorant.

Ayen
06-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Good list overall. I second the Bevelle Raid.

Jiro
06-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Good list overall. I second the Bevelle Raid.

Glad you agree! It has to have one of the coolest FMVs I've ever seen :ffviwave: