PDA

View Full Version : This is why I will never...

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2014, 07:18 AM
...normally I finish this with "be a vegetarian" but I'm all for inclusion. So basically this thread is about listing the foods that make you proud to be a vegetarian or love eating meat.

Fynn
03-28-2014, 07:30 AM
From what I've read on the Internet, I can be classified a semi-vegetarian. That means I eat meat, but only rarely (as in, usually no more than twice a month). I'm kinda proud of myself, though, that I can make tons of different interesting meals for dinner without meat in a country where everybody eats pork with potatoes every single day and herring on Friday because we're mostly Catholics and if you can't eat meat, you eat herring :monster:

The dish I'm most proud of in that respect is my lasagne bolognese. The thing is, instead of minced meat, I use soy beans. But it still looks and tastes like meat, which is super awesome because soy beans are much cheaper than quality beef.

noxious.sunshine
03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
I try to go meat-free 2 or 3x a week. It's a little difficult though, because of my boyfriend's dietary needs.

Parker
03-28-2014, 04:52 PM
I am by no means a vegetarian but I do like fruit and vegetables very much.

It seems a great deal of people think vegetables are boring but those people are stupid and need to learn how to cook. Vegetables are extremely flexible and can be prepared in a zillion different ways. Even the gross ones can be delicious (screw cauliflower and brussels sprouts tho, ive yet to have either of these prepared in a way that makes them tasty)

Pumpkin
03-28-2014, 04:55 PM
My favorite meats?

Spicy Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, ground beef.

Shorty
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not... proud of my eating choices, I guess? xD Nor am I ashamed of them. It's just what I eat! Proud vegetarians and proud steaketarians are on the same level of "hellishly annoying" to me.

Psychotic
03-28-2014, 05:19 PM
proud steaketarians are on the same level of "hellishly annoying" to me.Get out. Your kind aren't welcome in these parts.

Kalevala
03-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year and I'm awful at it. Not because I cave and eat meat, but because my diet is probably terribly unhealthy. That being said, that's more a side-effect of being a broke university student than anything.

My room-mate and I the other day were talking about how substitutions for meat have more or less been mastered, but not the taste and texture of skin. I miss skin.

Shorty
03-28-2014, 05:40 PM
proud steaketarians are on the same level of "hellishly annoying" to me.Get out. Your kind aren't welcome in these parts.

What parts, sugar? The middle? Fence-sitting?

Calliope
03-29-2014, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure I could really say that I'm "proud" of what I eat, so much as that I'm really grateful and lucky that I am able to spend time and money researching, preparing and eating the foods that I do. Eating a vegan diet has never made me feel deprived or as if I were eating anything less than food - I enjoy eating lentils, beans, rice, kale, tofu, etc., so it's easy. Nixing gluten will be an actual test of willpower, though. I imagine that how I feel about bread is how most people feel about cheese or bacon.

Slothy
03-29-2014, 03:16 AM
So basically this thread is about listing the foods that make you proud to be a vegetarian or love eating meat.

Proud is the wrong word so I'll go with happy (point me to someone who takes pride in making the choice to eat meat or not and I'll happily punch them in the face for you for being a douchebag).

And the food that makes me happy to eat meat? Meat. All of it. Except ham because I don't really like any meat from a pig. Strange thing that. But all that other meat? Gimme, gimme!

blackmage_nuke
03-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Off topic: I wish I had known eggs werent fertilised when I went through a stage of meat eating guilt in highschool

On Topic: I like Steak

Fynn
03-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Off topic: I wish I had known eggs werent fertilised when I went through a stage of meat eating guilt in highschool

On Topic: I like Steak

Still, eating chicken ovulation might be icky for some :D

noxious.sunshine
03-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I like ham on occasion and i love bacon, but I'm not the biggest pork fan in general. I make pork chops for my dad and boyfriend sometimes though cuz they're usually pretty cheap.

Oh. I love ribs. Memphis dry rub ribs.. With a side of bbq.. And I dig pulled pork.

Miss Mae
04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't eat much meat anyway, so I sometimes find myself thinking I could easily become a vegetarian if I so wished. But then I remember chicken parmigiana exists.

Kalevala
04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
You'd be surprised how real a fake chicken parmigiana can taste.

Miss Mae
04-01-2014, 04:18 PM
You'd be surprised how real a fake chicken parmigiana can taste.

Given that we as a species have basically managed to develop chickens that don't taste of anything anymore bar what we season the meat with, this doesn't surprise me at all. Same seasoning and sauce, and hey presto.

Kalevala
04-01-2014, 04:29 PM
This is more or less what all meals are defined by now. A "good steak" is gradually becoming a paraphrase of a "steak that has as much non-steak flavour sprinkled on as possible."

Depression Moon
04-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Steak, hamburgers, and shrimp. It's hard for me to imagine never eating those.

Pete for President
04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Been vegetarian for almost a year and I rarely miss meat. It was easier than expected to rule it out of my diet. I can't stand when people say: "Oh man I could never be a vegetarian, because *insert list of greasy tasty things*". But truth is they have never tried so how can they say such a thing? It's based on nothing.

And indeed there's the occasional douchebag who seems proud of eating meat and gloriously state: oh, you're a vegetarian, I'll have something extra meaty then. Some people are just oblivious.