PDA

View Full Version : So who else thought Freya got shortchanged?

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Am I the only person really annoyed that Freya's personal story about Fratley was largely dropped from the game and handwaved by the writers in the ending? :mad2:

Big D
03-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Hell yes. Freya was one of the most interesting and sympathetic characters, yet we spend less than bugger-all time learning about her and her culture. She spends pretty much no time in the spotlight, like nearly every other main character aside from Zidane and Garnet.

That's my biggest peeve about FF 8 through 10 - so many fascinating leading players who never really get a chance to shine. That's partly why FFVII remains my favourite title: every major character has a significant backstory and character arc that gets explored thoroughly, even the two optional characters. For a brief time, each of them actually gets to become the main character, a privilege cruelly denied to the likes of Quistis and Lulu in later installments.

Psychotic
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, by the end Freya was just there. Her development peaked entirely too early on in the game and then got thrown a token scene in the ending. I don't think it was particularly strong writing from Square on that front.

Kalevala
03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
It really was an unfortunate writing misstep in an otherwise fantastically written game on their part. Despite her being shortchanged, Freya and Burmecian/Cleyran culture remain some of my favourite parts of the game. I can only imagine how much better of an experience it'd have been had they given them they attention they deserved.

Bolivar
03-28-2014, 02:40 PM
It was an excellent cast all around so I can understand why she didn't get as much time as the inner circle of main characters. I think she had enough.

Freya
03-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I just focus on the first two discs and it's all about her!

Then I remember the other two and I get sad. :(

Pumpkin
03-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I think so. She had a good story and they could have done more with it. But I appreciate IX's great cast of characters and you do still gte to use her and bring her around with you, so I'm not really upset about it.

I do feel bad for those who have her as a favorite character. My favorite was Vivi and he got plenty of story and development.