PDA

View Full Version : Patch 2.2: Things To Do

Loony BoB
03-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Hello, my fellow Fat Chocobos (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn/150812-fat-chocobos-free-company-linkshell-thread-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn.html) and other such Eorzean adventurers! After going through a lot of the patch notes and getting asked a lot of questions by my ever-wonderful but apparently illiterate wife, I decided I'd list off a quick "To Do" list for you all so you know you're making the most of Patch 2.2, aka Through The Maelstrom.

Unlike the lengthy (but VERY useful) patch notes (http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/250fa2fc9b3709d18dca7ee733c851473cb34da5#item), I'm focusing on the things you're most likely to forget first, because everyone is expecting you to know about the dungeons and primals,while the other things are less in-your-face. So! Let's hop to it.

Buy More Retainers!
You can now own more than two retainers, but it'll cost you in terms of dollars and pounds rather than your more traditional gil. It's an additional service. If you want to get a couple of retainers added to your collection, head over to the Mogstation (https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/Login?cont=account&request=mogstation), log in, click on the Account Services button and then click on Retainer Service. Hopefully everything after that will be easy enough to follow - remember, this is a cost that will be added to your subscription, so it's not a one-off payment.

Unlock the Challenge Log
Head to I'tolwann in Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (X:11, Y:10) for quest Rising to the Challenge. This is something you should do right away. Why? Well, because once unlocked, this little beauty will reward you for doing things you'd normally do anyway. I just crafted a 5th HQ Darksteel Hook and got 2,000 gil for it. I didn't even know that was in the Challenge Log! Basically if you unlock this now, you may just get such pleasant surprises throughout the week. It'll reset every week, so it's not a one-time thing like the Hunting Log.

Send Your Retainers on a Journey
Unlock Ventures for your Retainers by completing one of the three 'An Ill-concieved Venture' quests. The starting NPC is "Troubled Adventurer" and there is one in each of the city states (you can only do the quest once, so don't worry about doing all three as you can't)...
Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks - X:9 Y:11
New Gridania - X:11 Y:12
Ul'dah - Steps of Nald - X:9 Y:8
L50 Crafters: Unlock Glamours
Head to Revenant's Toll for this. The quest you'll need to complete is called A Self-improving Man, it's North of the Aetheryte and the NPC is Wiscard. Once you finish the quest, a new one - Submission Impossible - will appear, also from Wiscard. Super easy quests, so no excuses! When you're done, if it's crowded you may not notice the Lalafell NPC who can sell you your glamour recipe books. Named Tataroga, he's right next to Wiscard but, as a midget, can often get hidden amongst crowds of players.

L50 Crafters & Gatherers: Better Yourself
Also at Revenant's Toll and also just North of the Aetheryte, this quest is called Just Tooling Around and the NPC is Guiding Star. Once you complete the quest, prepare yourself for the hammerblow... talk to the NPC Talan (right next to Guiding Star) and you'll see just what you'll need to do in order to truly better yourself.
NOTE: Be sure to have a L50 primary tool before doing this, which means you should have finished one of the crafter/gatherer storylines or have a Luminary.

Hildibrand and Gilgamesh!
To take part in an allegedly hilarious fight (going by player reviews, here), complete the new Hildibrand sidequests. They start with the NPC Ellie in Eatern Thanalan (X:10 Y:16) - she'll give you the quest The Science of Deduction to set you on your merry way. Please note that you'll need to have completed the quest The Immaculate Deception from patch 2.1 for this to appear!

Unlock more Beast Quests
These both start in Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks.
Kobold Quests - The starting quest is Highway Robbery. The NPC is Trachraet, found in Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (X:12 Y:12). Have a Disciple of War or Magic at level 41 to unlock this quest.
Sahagin Quests - The starting quest is They Came from the Deep. The NPC is R'ashaht Rhiki, found in Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (X:13 Y:12). Have a Disciple of War or Magic at level 44 to unlock this quest.
Zodiac Relic: A Relic Reborn... Reborn... Again!
To start off the quest to boost your Relic to an iLvl of 100 (I think that's right), ensure you already have a Zenith Relic equipped and get chatty with Gerolt in North Shroud (X:30 Y:20). The quest is called Up in Arms.

That's it from me for now! Hopefully this at least gets you going, and if you have anything to add to this, just say in the thread! I know I haven't included anything about Coil - alas, I have not unlocked it and wouldn't know where to begin - but I hope this aids you! Oh, and one more thing....

Don't forget to DANCE!
Ball Dance - The quest Help Me, Lord of the Dance begins with P'molminn at Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (X:10 Y:9)
Step Dance - The quest Good for What Ales You begins with Dodozan at Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks (X:7 Y:12)
Harvest Dance - The quest Saw That One Coming begins with Eral at New Gridania (X:12 Y:13)
Manderville Dance - Hildibrand Questline. The starting quest The Science of Deduction begins with Ellie at Eastern Thanalan (X:10 Y:16)

Unlock New Dungeons
All of these require a L50 battle class. An L49 Gladiator or an L50 Miner, sadly, will just not be good enough! Another requirement is that you will have to have completed the quest "The Ultimate Weapon", essentially the end of the initial storyline.
The Lost City of Amdapor - The quest to unlock this is One Night in Amdapor. The NPC is E-Sumi-Yan, found in Old Gridania (X:6 Y:10)
Halatali (Hard) - The quest to unlock this is This Time's for Fun. The NPC is Hugubert, found in Mor Dhona (X:22 Y:8)
Brayflox's Longstop (Hard) - The quest to unlock this is Curds and Slay. The NPC is Bloezoeng, found in Mor Dhona (X:22 Y:8)

Get Primal
One new primal but also a tougher fight against Good King Moggle Mog!
Leviathan (Hard) - To unlock The Whorleater (Hard), you'll need to complete the quest titled "Lord of the Whorl" This is a main storyline quest. Just keep plugging away at the main storyline and you'll find it... eventually.
Leviathan (Extreme) - To unlock The Whorleater (Extreme), you'll need to complete the quest titled "Whorl of a Time". Once you've beaten Leviathan (Hard) and Ifrit (Extreme) along with the (currently) final storyline quest "Through the Maelstrom", you can speak to Urianger at Western Thanalan - The Waking Sands (X:6, Y:4) to pick up this Extreme quest.
Moggle Mog (Extreme) - To unlock Thornmarch (Extreme), you'll need to complete the quest titled "The King Lives". Once you've beaten Moggle Mog (Hard) and Ifrit (Extreme) along with the 'congrats' Moggle Mog quest titled "On the Properties of Primals", you can find Urianger at Western Thanalan - The Waking Sands (X:6, Y:4) to pick up this Extreme quest.

smittenkitten
03-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Most helpful Kupo! :mog: *Starts questing*

Rostum
03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks BoB! I've been taking a break for a couple of weeks, so this is extremely helpful as I logged on last night and had no idea wtf I should be doing. :)