PDA

View Full Version : Western vs Eastern Fans

Forsaken Lover
03-29-2014, 05:39 PM
So Japanese fans of Final Fantasy have a couple notable differences from all of us.

1. Final Fantasy IV is their golden child. VI is fine and all but it has nothing like the cult following it has here. IV is hands down the best of the "old school" to them.
2. XIII is amazing over there. I think we all know about this. It's been documented since the start that the Japanese developers were perplexed/annoyed by the poor reception XIII had over here. We also see the disconnect between West and East in how Bravely Default outsold LR over here. (or so i hear)

I think we're all in agreement on everything else...? We both love VII and X by and large. Japan doesn't seem to give a crap about FFXII though. Then again it was never huge over here either.

black orb
03-29-2014, 05:47 PM
2. XIII is amazing over there.
>>> Are you sure about that?..:luca:

And, I thought FF1 was our golden child.:(

Wolf Kanno
03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
There are a couple more differences, for instance VII is probably the West's favorite FF. FFX is Japan's favorite and while the West liked FFX it's not the juggernaut over here like it is in Japan, there are reasons it got the first game sequel.

Also FFII is a fan favorite in Japan due to some of the game's silly dialogue and Mateus is usually considered to be one of the top villains in Japan. Dissidia has raised Mateus' stock in the West as well.

FFIII and FFV are also highly regarded and generally fall just behind X, XIII, and VII, whereas the games are sort of just in the middle and thought of as indifferent in the West (largely because they were released so late out here).

VI has a cult following... in America it's not so special worldwide due to similar issues as FFIII and V for PAL regions and the Japanese felt the game was decent. My theory is that it was due to how many radical changes VI made in comparison to previous entries and the Japanese didn't take it too well because they were expecting a shiner version of FFV, simialr to what happened to VIII and XII over here. With that said, Dissidia seems to have made Kefka a more popular figure in Japan.

IV is actually highly regarded in America as well, it's the Europeans who don't understand what the Japanese and Yankees see in it but then again they only got Mystic Quest before finally getting VII.

XII actually did better in the West than it did in Japan in both sales and reception. While it was not received as well as FFX over here, it was generally well received compared to XIII initially. History has largely vindicated XII in the last eight years among the Western fanbase.

We don't get Lightning's appeal out here. It's not that Westerners hate her but it seems to me we don't really understand why she's such a break out character in Japan. Likewise, Sahz is kind of her parallel as he doesn't rank very highly in Japan (hence why he rarely shows up in the XIII sequels) whereas he's a largely well respected character in the West.

Japan seems to actually like Vaan and Penelo, the West hate them. Both sides like Balthier. Tidus is another character that's divisive, he's generally well loved in Japan for his sunny disposition, he's a divisive figure in the West, same with Yuna.

Both sides like VIII, though not as much as FFVII, but both sides seem neutral to IX. Outside of Vivi and Zidane popping up in other media occasionally, it just seems to me that neither side gives this game any attention.

black orb
03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
>>> Dude, you forgot FF1 the best game of all..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
It's like IX, neither group as far as I know talks about it much.

black orb
03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
>>> Well Im certainly not part of that lame crowd..:luca:

Dissidia fans count as FF1 fans too.

Vyk
03-29-2014, 10:37 PM
I can always count on Wolf in these types of threads to create an interesting and insightful history lesson. I was always baffled when the heads at Square would talk about how much everyone loves Lightning and insist that because of that she needs to make cameos in future games, when everyone I know was tired of her from the onset and thought both sequels were completely pointless. But I don't know anyone from Japan, and hand't really heard much about their reception of any of the XIII games. So it makes more sense now

I think FFVI may have just been ahead of its time if what was said was true. Because Japan has since fallen in love with steampunk, and it set the groundwork for FFVII in what I like to call "industrial-punk". And everyone loves that. So yeah, I guess it was just shell shock. I bet if it were to have it's initial release right now (or wthin the last decade), everyone would love it

Bolivar
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah I also find that revelation that people actually like Lightning in Japan demystifies a few things.

The trend seems to be that the first game on a new platform makes the biggest splash, both East and West. FFIV, VII, X, and XIII all received sequels although XII and V have had them in different formats.

I know FF IX lately has come into style among Western gaming hipsters if you can call them that. I wonder if anything like that happened over there, maybe since the PSN re release.

My theory on VI is that if you saw the progression that lead up to it, it wouldn't have resonated as strongly as it did for SNES owners who had only played IV and maybe FFI at that point. Hence why, like Japan, the Playstation fans who went through all the re releases on PS1 never burned all their Sephiroth posters after descending upon Narsche for the first time.

Ayen
04-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I can get behind the X wagon in Japan. V too.

Skyblade
04-05-2014, 06:48 AM
XII actually did better in the West than it did in Japan in both sales and reception. While it was not received as well as FFX over here, it was generally well received compared to XIII initially. History has largely vindicated XII in the last eight years among the Western fanbase.

We don't get Lightning's appeal out here. It's not that Westerners hate her but it seems to me we don't really understand why she's such a break out character in Japan. Likewise, Sahz is kind of her parallel as he doesn't rank very highly in Japan (hence why he rarely shows up in the XIII sequels) whereas he's a largely well respected character in the West.

I think you are letting personal perception color these a bit.

XII has never been listed as one of the top games in the series. It hasn't been "vindicated by history", it's just that XII's fanbase has coalesced into a single group, while those who hate it have moved on to other, better games. There is still a huge majority of gamers and Final Fantasy fans who will dismiss XII out of hand if you mention it. The discussion on it is largely positive because only people who like the game bother to discuss it anymore. Final Fantasy VI and VII still get haters because they are games that are largely considered fantastic by the majority of series fans (or RPG fans in general). XII has always been considered mediocre, so it is not a game that needs to be torn off a pedestal in the minds of those who hate it. Most people who dislike the game just moved on and forgot about it.

Also, while Lightning may not be nearly as huge over here as she is in Japan, there are still tons of gamers who list her as a favorite Final Fantasy character. FFXIII failed over here far more because of the linearity and nonsensical plot than it did the characters. A lot of the characters were incredibly popular. Snow, Sazh, Lightning, and Fang are all listed among a lot of people's favorite characters. Maybe not among the core Final Fantasy fans, but among a lot of gamers in general? Definitely so.

maybee
04-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Befriending a few Japanese friends on Tumblr, can confirm that Final Fantasy 13 is cherished and loved over there, and Lightning Farron is viewed as one of the best Final Fantasy heroes, if not the best, to ever grace the series.

The fact that Final Fantasy 13 didn't do so hot over here ( not counting sales )and Lighting Farron's large hatedom on the Western side, confuses them alot.

Forsaken Lover
04-05-2014, 12:04 PM
They probably like Gundam SEED and Lacus too.

It's just a cultural thing. I like a lot of Japanese stuff. I love Moe, I love anime, I love games and series that are SUPER JAPANESE. Their love for Zeta Gundam and Kamille and Four is something I can totally get behind. Hell, I can even get behind their love for Yuna.

But...well, just "something" is there that I can't go along with XIII or understand their love for Lightning.

Can you ask your friend what his or her thoughts are about Ashe? Did they even play XII? I've long wondered why Ashe is so overlooked and Vaan is so popular.

maybee
04-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Can you ask your friend what his or her thoughts are about Ashe? Did they even play XII? I've long wondered why Ashe is so overlooked and Vaan is so popular.

Vaan is loved over there because the voice actor I believe, he adds a more lively and outgoing feel to Vaan's character and less whiny and obnoxious, also they find him attractive and cute.

basically they wanna bone him

http://i.imgur.com/O6N0XeX.gif

My friends don't care too much about Ashe. They're all into Lightning, Aerith and Tifa.

Forsaken Lover
04-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Well I'm not one to judge. I have some odd tastes too.

Wolf Kanno
04-05-2014, 06:37 PM

I would say you are one to talk concerning this subject.

XII has never been listed as one of the top games in the series. It hasn't been "vindicated by history", it's just that XII's fanbase has coalesced into a single group, while those who hate it have moved on to other, better games. There is still a huge majority of gamers and Final Fantasy fans who will dismiss XII out of hand if you mention it. The discussion on it is largely positive because only people who like the game bother to discuss it anymore. Final Fantasy VI and VII still get haters because they are games that are largely considered fantastic by the majority of series fans (or RPG fans in general). XII has always been considered mediocre, so it is not a game that needs to be torn off a pedestal in the minds of those who hate it. Most people who dislike the game just moved on and forgot about it.

Also, while Lightning may not be nearly as huge over here as she is in Japan, there are still tons of gamers who list her as a favorite Final Fantasy character. FFXIII failed over here far more because of the linearity and nonsensical plot than it did the characters. A lot of the characters were incredibly popular. Snow, Sazh, Lightning, and Fang are all listed among a lot of people's favorite characters. Maybe not among the core Final Fantasy fans, but among a lot of gamers in general? Definitely so.

XII never received the type of backlash over here that it did in Japan. Japanese fans were bitching about this game before it released and even after. It basically had the same deal as over there as XIII had over here in that it got great reviews but the fanbase over there seriously backlashed against it at the time. It has certainly subsided since then but the game never received as much attention over there as over here.

I'm not saying that XII is suddenly "the bestest game evah!" but it basically has risen from "worst FF" to "meh, it was okay" considering how often I see people talk about how they hated until they let go of their preconceptions of what they wanted it to be, and then suddenly realize in their next playthrough that the game isn't half bad, I'd say XII has more going for it than you wish to believe because it doesn't work with your own views.

XIII is certainly getting heckled by the Western fanbase and while the cast is a mix bag, it is pretty obvious that Japan loves them a whole lot more than the Western fans do. The West certainly hated the game design the most about XIII, but its characters and story also have been far more criticized over here than in Japan where it is just gold. Not saying this means "the West hates XIII" as much as I'm saying that the West doesn't like it as much as Japan. Not that the Japanese liked XIII as a game as much but for them I think the story and characters redeem the game, whereas the West is usually the one wishing we could finally move on from the series.

Yes the haters moved on from XII, but you know what? They haven't moved on from FFs like FFII and FFVIII which still get more revile than XII does, despite being around longer. So in my mind, that tells me that XII has certainly moved on up in the fan community. It's no longer dirt, it's now just the worms in the dirt. I feel you are simply trying to keep the fires of the hatred of this game lighted, and while I disagree with your position, I can sympathize because I will probably be in the same boat in a few years when XIII's stock gets raised a little better. For the most part, I will say that FFX is pretty much the last non-controversial FF among the fanbase. Starting with XI, each new entry has become more divisive than the last. Still as much as I love XII and hate XIII, I find it amusing that XI and XIV have probably been more vindicated by history than either game.

Skyblade
04-06-2014, 06:16 AM

I would say you are one to talk concerning this subject.

Exactly! I'm a qualified expert on the subject.

Although I'm certainly more objective in my analysis than many. At least I acknowledge when a game I don't like is still a good game.

XII never received the type of backlash over here that it did in Japan. Japanese fans were bitching about this game before it released and even after. It basically had the same deal as over there as XIII had over here in that it got great reviews but the fanbase over there seriously backlashed against it at the time. It has certainly subsided since then but the game never received as much attention over there as over here.

Um, yes it did. Do you even remember the amount of fan backlash XII got when it first released? It was reviled. People complained about nearly every aspect from it. The Gambit system was hated for being both too restrictive (in that 90% of the system was locked when you started the game) and yet still allowing the game to completely play itself. Vaan was loathedas a main protagonist, and this hatred only got worse when it was revealed that Basch was the original lead and it was changed to Vaan. The drop system and bazaar were criticized left and right, the combat systems was called innovative but incredibly flawed. The License Board was mocked for being overly simplistic, and nonsensical (why did you need LP to learn to put on a hat, again?). It may have gotten a lot of critical acclaim, especially from Famitsu, but it was never well received by the fanbase. It was no XIII, but it was no beloved entry.

I'm not saying that XII is suddenly "the bestest game evah!" but it basically has risen from "worst FF" to "meh, it was okay" considering how often I see people talk about how they hated until they let go of their preconceptions of what they wanted it to be, and then suddenly realize in their next playthrough that the game isn't half bad, I'd say XII has more going for it than you wish to believe because it doesn't work with your own views.

XII has plenty going for it, that's just not enough to make up for its massive flaws, in my opinion. The reason we see so many people talk about their rediscovery of the game and how fun it is has already been iterated: Nobody else talks about the game at all.

At that point I wasn't arguing that the game is bad. I was just pointing out that to a lot of fans and gamers, the game has failed and been forgotten. RPG players are not a small demographic, you can find fans on almost every gaming forum out there. Mention "Final Fantasy XII" and the response is a resounding "meh".

XIII is certainly getting heckled by the Western fanbase and while the cast is a mix bag, it is pretty obvious that Japan loves them a whole lot more than the Western fans do. The West certainly hated the game design the most about XIII, but its characters and story also have been far more criticized over here than in Japan where it is just gold. Not saying this means "the West hates XIII" as much as I'm saying that the West doesn't like it as much as Japan. Not that the Japanese liked XIII as a game as much but for them I think the story and characters redeem the game, whereas the West is usually the one wishing we could finally move on from the series.

I didn't get the from your initial post, but I will agree to that point.

Yes the haters moved on from XII, but you know what? They haven't moved on from FFs like FFII and FFVIII which still get more revile than XII does, despite being around longer. So in my mind, that tells me that XII has certainly moved on up in the fan community. It's no longer dirt, it's now just the worms in the dirt. I feel you are simply trying to keep the fires of the hatred of this game lighted, and while I disagree with your position, I can sympathize because I will probably be in the same boat in a few years when XIII's stock gets raised a little better. For the most part, I will say that FFX is pretty much the last non-controversial FF among the fanbase. Starting with XI, each new entry has become more divisive than the last. Still as much as I love XII and hate XIII, I find it amusing that XI and XIV have probably been more vindicated by history than either game.

Actually, they have.

Have you looked in the FFVIII forum lately? It's been pretty much nothing but positives for quite a while. It was bringing in plenty of hatred for a long time due to the persistence of people posting absolutely bonkers theories about the game (Future Esthar and Serapy , you will be missed). But once those quieted down, so did most of the hate. People going in to talk about the game fondly is far more common than people going in to bash it meaninglessly.

Heck, on my last foray into the [I]FFII forum, I found far more defenders of it than people hating on it, and that is probably still the worst game in the series.

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Exactly! I'm a qualified expert on the subject.

Although I'm certainly more objective in my analysis than many. At least I acknowledge when a game I don't like is still a good game.

I'd say your knee jerk reaction still shows where you lean on these things, but that's coming from someone who is the same way. ;)

Um, yes it did. Do you even remember the amount of fan backlash XII got when it first released? It was reviled. People complained about nearly every aspect from it. The Gambit system was hated for being both too restrictive (in that 90% of the system was locked when you started the game) and yet still allowing the game to completely play itself. Vaan was loathedas a main protagonist, and this hatred only got worse when it was revealed that Basch was the original lead and it was changed to Vaan. The drop system and bazaar were criticized left and right, the combat systems was called innovative but incredibly flawed. The License Board was mocked for being overly simplistic, and nonsensical (why did you need LP to learn to put on a hat, again?). It may have gotten a lot of critical acclaim, especially from Famitsu, but it was never well received by the fanbase. It was no XIII, but it was no beloved entry.

I am not saying XII wasn't hated but it also had its staunch defenders and many people who felt the game represented a refreshing direction for the series, something XIII didn't get much of, though it certainly had its own odd supporters. In truth what I mean by difference in flashback is that XII doesn't get heckled as much anymore, hell even just two or three years after its release people stopped finally bitching about it, I have not seen that happening with XIII. XIV came out and tanked, and there are still people talking about XIII being just as bad, so even a crappy fallow up didn't really deter the hatedom.

XII still gets criticized, as it should, but I have been surprised how often I find people actually talking about it in more of a positive light, such as the Gambit systems that everyone initially hated but now after several years of some awful A.I. party members, most people will pipe up and mention they wished the game used something like the Gambit system instead. The rest of the systems are certainly not perfect but they are not "absolutely soul crushing terrible" like you are trying to make them out to be (okay, maybe you nailed it with the bazaar). Even now I still see people on message boards from various gaming news sites and forums, taking a second look at XII and realizing that despite all its flaws, SE was on the right track which is more than can be said about XIII's game design.

XII has plenty going for it, that's just not enough to make up for its massive flaws, in my opinion. The reason we see so many people talk about their rediscovery of the game and how fun it is has already been iterated: Nobody else talks about the game at all.

Except these people rediscovering the game tend to be former haters who are turning around and seeing what's good about it, even if you can't see it, I don't feel it's fair to simply try to white wash that away. I mean, I can't think of another FF where I've seen this phenomena of "I used to hate it, then I went back and tried it again, and you know what, I had fun". I'm not saying these people have "awaken" to the games brilliance, instead I'm seeing a lot of people letting go of the bias they had initially going in that ruined the game for them, taking it for what it is, and realizing they enjoyed the experience. I mean seriously re-read the Vindicated by History thread, most of the post follow that trend.

Also, part of the reason people stopped talking about it as much around here may have more to do with that we don't have the numbers like we did back then . It may not have been the golden age of the forum, but for the longest time the highest amount of users on the site was around XII's release. The only reason XIII doesn't get as much hate around here is because I've been gone and I don't post in that forum so the people who do enjoy it can have peace of mind. Hell, we actually had to ban some members around XIII's release because they derailed every thread into a "why this game sucks" and then fought and insulted it's fanbase. XII certainly got hazed but I don't remember members being banned over it.

At that point I wasn't arguing that the game is bad. I was just pointing out that to a lot of fans and gamers, the game has failed and been forgotten. RPG players are not a small demographic, you can find fans on almost every gaming forum out there. Mention "Final Fantasy XII" and the response is a resounding "meh".

Yes, you can find anytype of fan if you look for them, but as I said, in my travels around the various gaming sites, I'm seeing less hatred of XII, and instead more admiration. Certainly not "best game ever" but once again more of a "they had a good idea about that" part of it is certainly just backlash from more recent entries which is similar to the Zelda Cycle, but even in non-FF threads and just simply RPG threads when people talk about world design and A.I. partners, XII does pop up occasionally, and despite what you may wish, I usually see a more positive spin. Will it be one of the greatest FFs, yes and no. I certainly feel its left a greater mark on the industry than X or XIII have in terms of game design direction. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is a matter of personal opinion but I like to think that Xenoblade probably wouldn't have been as good if the development team hadn't been paying attention to XII.

Actually, they have.

Have you looked in the FFVIII forum lately? It's been pretty much nothing but positives for quite a while. It was bringing in plenty of hatred for a long time due to the persistence of people posting absolutely bonkers theories about the game (Future Esthar and Serapy , you will be missed). But once those quieted down, so did most of the hate. People going in to talk about the game fondly is far more common than people going in to bash it meaninglessly.

Heck, on my last foray into the [I]FFII forum, I found far more defenders of it than people hating on it, and that is probably still the worst game in the series.

The haters always leave the specific forums eventually, except for a few :roll2. I'm talking about the general FF forums. Scan the "Least Favorite FF threads" or any comparative type threads and you will see that FFII and VIII are still very much the black sheep of the series. XII was certainly there with them, but last time I scanned through, I don't remember it getting nailed nearly as bad as the others. Of anything the game's gameplay is often lauded for saving it from the bottom tier. Granted, XII haters are still pretty vocal but you guys really can't compare to the XIII haters on that front until the next disaster comes out. :D

I would also say that VIII still gets it's trash talk threads, even if it sounds positive, a quick scan of what people say will usually turn up some derogatory commentary, same with FFII's threads.

I don't want to derail this thread any further (seriously just go back to bitching in the Vindicated History thread, if you want a serious point by point debate on this, I may be rusty but I'm sure I can give you one.

Mons
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I think the world is a pretty cool guy, he fights monster and not afraid of anything.