PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Bought a Console Specifically for One Game?

Pike
03-30-2014, 10:56 AM
We've had this thread before but it's been a while so let's talk about it again!

Have you ever acquired a console specifically so you could play one game?

For me:

I bought a PlayStation for FF7.
I bought a PlayStation 2 for MGS3.
I bought a GameCube for MGS: The Twin Snakes.
I was gifted an Xbox 360 specifically because I wanted to play Skyrim (and lacked a good PC for it at the time)
And finally I was gifted a Nintendo 3DS specifically because I wanted to play Pokemon X/Y.

NeoCracker
03-30-2014, 10:58 AM
The only example for me is wanting a PS1 for FF VII, From that point on I never wanted a game console for just one game again. I just wanted a gaming console cause by the time the PS1 came out I was already a fiend for gaming, and just wanted the consoles so I could grab a bunch of new stuff! :p

Forsaken Lover
03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
I traded in my GameCube to get a PS2 for Metal Gear Solid 3, if that counts. I was a kid in high school and thus had no money.

Many years later I bought a GameCube mainly because I wanted to play Baten Kaitos.

No regrets in either case.

Iceglow
03-30-2014, 11:24 AM
I wanted a Playstation purely because of the ability to play Final Fantasy 7. However, my mom was like "I am not buying you one" for a while because she needed the price to come down. Eventually my cousin who is 13 years older than I was like "I'm selling mine" and so sold her his PSX along with like 30 games as my Christmas Present. However, my cousin never played JRPGs so I was brought Final Fantasy VIII which had been released recently by my brother and spent 3 straight days ploughing through to disc 3 without ever saving. The PSX crashed and I lost my progress but I was massively happy.

I brought an Xbox second hand purely so I could play Halo 1 and 2 though wound up buying most new titles on Xbox with exception of a few JRPGs after getting it.

I brought my Xbox 360 at the time purely because I wanted to play Halo 3 and go on multiplayer with Dan and Paul.

Mirage
03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
No, never. But a game has made me decide when to get a console.

black orb
03-30-2014, 03:23 PM
>>> Is not that the same??..:luca:

>>> I got almost all my consoles just for one game..:luca:

PS2: Final Fantasy X
PSP: FF Dissidia
PS3: FF XIII (great disappointment)
Wii: Xenoblade (I really play only Xenoblade there)
and I hope to get a Wii U only for tne new Xeno game.
I dont have plans for a PS4 yet, nothing interesting there.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I get most my consoles for just one game, kind of. I know that more stuff will come out that I'll like and don't really regret getting the systems.

Sega Saturn: NiGHTS into Dreams
Gamecube: Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl
PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4
XBOX 360: Lost Odyssey (this is the only system I regret. This is the only game I played on it aside from Tales of Vesperia).
Wii U: Super Mario 3D World
Gameboy Advance: Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
PSP: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
DS: 358/2 Days
3DS: Dream Drop Distance
Vita: Gravity Rush

Mirage
03-30-2014, 03:45 PM
>>> Is not that the same??..:luca:

No. I would never have gotten it if I didn't plan on buying more than one game. Buying a console just to get one game would be a tremendous waste of money. I'd rather just wait until I could emulate the game, or for when it got a re-release on a console I already had.

black orb
03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
No. I would never have gotten it if I didn't plan on buying more than one game. Buying a console just to get one game would be a tremendous waste of money. I'd rather just wait until I could emulate the game, or for when it got a re-release on a console I already had.
>>> Even if its a game you really really want?..:luca:

I could never wait for a re-release on another console that thing may take years or never happen. And emulate on a PC is lame..

Vyk
03-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Upon reflection I guess I'm kind of notorious for this. I bought Final Fantasy VII before owning a Playstation, and bought Fire Emblem: Awakening before owning a 3DS. I got an original XBox solely to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. And a 360 for Saints Row 2 (of all things). The Dreamcast I got with Soul Calibur because I'd loved Soul Blade and couldn't wait to see an updated version. And Playstation 2 I got with Final Fantasy X, but I don't think this was the same situation, as I'd hated Final Fantasy VIII and was bored from Final Fantasy IX. They were both a chore for me to beat so I had little faith in X, I just had the money and wanted a PS2 and figured it was just a good jumping off point, and nothing more. And the game failed to live up to even those expectations lol so I'm glad there were tons more things to do with a PS2 at the time..

Mercen-X
03-31-2014, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty sure my mom got the Gameboy to play Tetris. I got the GBA to play COM. My mom got the DS to play the only Hidden Object game she could find for that system (she wanted to be able to play it on the go.) She played it once and then let me have the system. I ended up getting Re:coded, NSMB, and 358. I then got a PSP specifically to play Crisis Core... and Dissidia. I bought a Wii game before I owned the system. It's not a great title. A lot of promise, but it's far too strenuous.

Carl the Llama
03-31-2014, 02:28 AM
Dreamcast: PSO.

Mirage
03-31-2014, 02:32 AM
>>> Even if its a game you really really want?..:luca:

I could never wait for a re-release on another console that thing may take years or never happen. And emulate on a PC is lame..

There aren't any games I want enough to buy a console just for that one game. MGS:TTS came close, but I wouldn't have bought a gamecube if that was the only desirable game on it either, and that was the cheapest game console I've ever bought. I practically bought it for three games, though.

Freya
03-31-2014, 04:04 AM
I got a 64 for Ocarina of time.
I got a 3DS for Ocarina of time.
I got a Wii for Skyward Sword

I like Zelda okay.

Pumpkin
03-31-2014, 04:05 AM
I bought my DS specifically for Pokemon Diamond.

Jiro
03-31-2014, 04:11 AM
Not for one game, no, but I got a Gamecube so I could play Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. I had no intent to get any other games.

Skyblade
03-31-2014, 04:13 AM
I got my Vita for Persona 4 Golden. I got my Wii U for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (I asked for it for Christmas when the Wind Waker HD Bundle was available, but that game is the real reason I wanted it).

Not for one game, no, but I got a Gamecube so I could play Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. I had no intent to get any other games.

Play Metroid Prime. The best First Person Shooter ever made.

Vyk
03-31-2014, 05:26 AM
I guess I got a Wii solely because I knew Xenoblade Chronicles was coming out here finally

Wolf Kanno
03-31-2014, 05:59 AM
SNES: Street Fighter II ~ with a good controller yay!
PS1: FFVII ~ disappointed but FFTactics and Xenogears made me happy I bought it.
PS2: MGS2 and FFX ~ Took much longer to redeem this console for me.
PS3: MGS4 and FFXIII ~ Still kind of regret buying this console
Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ~ fantastic first game, wish it had a better library.
PSP: Dissidia ~ Good system but my DS still owns my soul.
3DS: Shin Megami Tensei IV ~ Didn't disappoint.

Psychotic
03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2
N64: Pokemon Stadium
360: Dead Rising

I should've got more games for the N64 - never played any Zelda or Mario! - but beyond that I think it's worked out brilliantly all round.

Madame Adequate
03-31-2014, 04:57 PM
I wanted and was gifted a PSX primarily for Wipeout.
Got a 360 for Dead Rising.
Got a 3DS for Pokemon X/Y.

Del Murder
03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
I always buy a console for a particular game or games. There's no reason to buy it until games you like are out for it. Usually it's more than one game though. For me it was:

Playstation 2 - Final Fantasy X, all the old PS1 games since I never had PS1
Wii - Twilight Princess, all the old Gamecube games since I never had a Gamecube
Playstation 3 - Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4
DS - don't remember, I played so many great DS games
3DS - Kingdom Hearts 3D

Hey my list is pretty similar to WK's!

Kalevala
03-31-2014, 11:21 PM
This is exactly how/why I purchased consoles as a child (or asked for them).

SNES for Donkey Kong Country
PS1 for Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
N64 for Pokemon Snap
PS2 for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Ayen
04-01-2014, 03:25 AM
I got the Nintendo DS to play Phoenix Wright.

Worth it.