PDA

View Full Version : Design a game for the Wii U challenge

Botchmun
03-30-2014, 01:23 PM
One of the main things I've been hearing about the Wii U is that no one is willing to develop for it, nobody knows how or wants to or whatever. Well, challenge accepted. Seeing as how, like good game designers. Eyes on FF goers are great at trying to swallow their own shoes and headbutting the number pad of their keyboard creativity and non-linear thinking, I figure who better to come up with games they'd like to see on the Wii U than everyone's favorite final fantasy fans.

You don't have to throw down a fully assembled first level with complete lore and character models, just throw out a pitch of what you'd like to see, if you'd use the console's gimmicks and how, and maybe your reasons for why it'd be fun or sell.

I'll go first: A fucking strategy game.

The Wii U, for me, has always been the kinda holy grail to one up the PC gaming master race, because now you have a console where you can make strategy game that doesn't suck. I don't care if its a port or an anthology, original title or even just a dang MOBA. You've got the resources to put real time strategy (complete with competitive multiplayer) on a home console and not have it be a raucous pile of slow burning koala rectums. The touch screen allows for direct unit selecting and commanding, while the switching between TV and touch screen allows for the player to cycle through mini-maps, world maps, close-up combat maps, unit statistics, you name it!

You guys try it, tell me what kinda games you'd love to see developed for the Wii U!

Skyblade
03-30-2014, 01:39 PM
At a basic level, the same sorts of games that work with the DS. RPGs did especially well with it.

Survival Horror could also work well, as a second screen lets you keep menus and inventories up, and we've already seen how tense those games can be when you can't pause during inventory changes.

I'd like to see an Aliens game. Dedicate the game pad screen to the motion detector, and build the xenomorph AI to use crawlspaces, vents, and ceilings and you have fantastic potential. If they didn't ruin it.

Slothy
03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see an Aliens game. Dedicate the game pad screen to the motion detector, and build the xenomorph AI to use crawlspaces, vents, and ceilings and you have fantastic potential. If they didn't ruin it.

Don't let Gearbox anywhere near it and it would stand a decent chance.

Skyblade
03-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I also think it could work for a game like Battlefield 4. Imagine if the "Commander Mode" abilities didn't rip you out of the game, but were accessible from the second screen's touch controls. Huge potential for directly manipulating strategic assets on the fly in a FPS (admittedly, I've never played the game, just working from review knowledge). Calling in air strikes, vehicles, turrets, smoke concealment, decoys. Doing that anywhere on the map as you're playing through would have a lot of potential for FPS matches, I think.

Bolivar
03-30-2014, 03:45 PM
The Wii U is built for a couch co-op take on Dungeons and Dragons where the player with the GamePad is the Dungeon Master. That thing would lend itself well to acting as a DM screen, full of information he/she doesn't want the players to know, and lets them place monsters and traps on the fly without the players seeing them on the TV.

Slothy
03-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I also think it could work for a game like Battlefield 4. Imagine if the "Commander Mode" abilities didn't rip you out of the game, but were accessible from the second screen's touch controls. Huge potential for directly manipulating strategic assets on the fly in a FPS (admittedly, I've never played the game, just working from review knowledge). Calling in air strikes, vehicles, turrets, smoke concealment, decoys. Doing that anywhere on the map as you're playing through would have a lot of potential for FPS matches, I think.

I actually kind of like the idea. I seem to be in the minority that thinks the Wii U wouldn't be the RTS messiah for consoles, but adding some slightly less real time strategy elements to other genres? I could see that working.

Bolivar's idea sounds quite good as well. One of the most interesting things about the Wii U from the start for me was the potential for multiplayer games with asymmetric information as well as face to face interaction, but very few things I've seen actually seem to use this.

Dat Matt
03-30-2014, 08:33 PM
All you really need for the Wii U to sell units is to use it for games similar to tabletop gaming. Rather than having a board on the table, you have it on a screen, and the Games Master uses the controls the game using the game pad. They can update the game by setting traps if the team are doing well, or aid the team if they are in trouble. Converse to traditional table top games I've played (Which isn't many to be fair), most of the preparation is done prior to playing, so the ability to have the game be electronic, and therefore more fluid, sounds like an amazing way to move units.

Crimson Shroud does this on the 3DS, but the issue is that's one player. Not the way that this game should be played.

That and I don't believe it would be so hard to make new games in that genre.

Bolivar
03-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Bolivar's idea sounds quite good as well. One of the most interesting things about the Wii U from the start for me was the potential for multiplayer games with asymmetric information as well as face to face interaction, but very few things I've seen actually seem to use this.

The pack in game Nintendo Land had a couple cool joints on that front. Whether anyone will take these ideas beyond mini games is yet to be seen. Zombie U had a cool mode where the player with the Pad plants different undead on the go as another player just tries to survive. Very fun not quite the tabletop RPG I'd rather see instead.

Dat Matt
03-30-2014, 09:52 PM
If you wanted to have it Nintendo themed, The Legend of Zelda would be amazing for it. Imagine something like Running through a dungeon in the theme the Deku Tree as an example. Depending on number of players (say max 4) you could have Link, Sarah, Zelda and Malon (4 Random people that came to mind) running through the dunegon. picking up items like keys and weapons to advance before fighting Goma as the final boss of the dungeon.

I can see the same formula could work for such games like Golden Sun, Star Fox and Metroid as examples.

Del Murder
03-30-2014, 10:02 PM
2D Metroid throwback similar to New Super Mario Bros. and DKC Returns. I would buy a WiiU the day that came out.

Also a Xenoblade sequel.