PDA

View Full Version : What makes an RPG?

Freya
04-01-2014, 05:54 AM
RPG is used for so many differen't types of games anymore. MMORPGS, Action RPG etc etc

So what makes an RPG an RPG?

Calliope
04-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Corridors, I think.

Del Murder
04-01-2014, 06:19 AM
I think some form of character progression and a stats based battle system is a good start. The story is also an important element of an RPG in that there should be one.

Jiro
04-01-2014, 06:30 AM
It should have "RPG" in its genre classification.

NeoCracker
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
If you look at some of the original RPG's their stories were no more complex then the original side scrollers though. We may come to expect that these days, but it's not always the case.

In terms of system, I guess I would define an RPG by, in terms of combats, being heavily a numbers game.

You get games like the original FF where there is no twitch reflexes involved, just planning your attacks based off the damage they shall do or mitigate.

Compare that any FPS, where your focus is a lot more on reactions, timing, ect. Compared to an RPG FPS's aren't near the numbers game.

Yes, pretty much all games are a numbers game, but an RPG is a genre that takes that to one of it's logical extremes.

Mirage
04-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Nothing. There are almost no pure genres anymore. Every game is a bit two dozen different genres, all boiled together to some stew of varying quality.

Ayen
04-01-2014, 03:17 PM
If you look at some of the original RPG's their stories were no more complex then the original side scrollers though. We may come to expect that these days, but it's not always the case.

In terms of system, I guess I would define an RPG by, in terms of combats, being heavily a numbers game.

You get games like the original FF where there is no twitch reflexes involved, just planning your attacks based off the damage they shall do or mitigate.

Compare that any FPS, where your focus is a lot more on reactions, timing, ect. Compared to an RPG FPS's aren't near the numbers game.

Yes, pretty much all games are a numbers game, but an RPG is a genre that takes that to one of it's logical extremes.

I find myself leaning towards this explanation since it makes the most sense to me. I never really thought about it before.

Bolivar
04-01-2014, 07:15 PM
RPGS are games that can trace their ideas back to their tabletop namesake. Numbers are important, as Neo suggested, but they usually also need to incorporate some form of randomness along with conflicting checks against other numbers.

Værn
04-01-2014, 11:07 PM
So what makes an RPG an RPG?
Bards.

Mercen-X
04-02-2014, 05:35 AM
The RPG has become a supertrope.

Christmas
03-23-2022, 12:46 PM
The immersion! :bigsmile:

For example when I was playing the original witcher going around screwing anything that have holes, I just can't immerse myself into it. :(

But when I am playing Skyrim slaughtering innocent townsfolks and adopting their children, I feel so immersed in it. :bigsmile: