PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

Forsaken Lover
04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I remember we had a slew of these a year or so ago and just thought we could use another bout of everyone asserting that they are beautiful snowflakes.

I'll start.

1. I love almost everything about Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
2. I despise absolutely everything about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
3. Snow and Hope were my favorite part of FFXIII.
4. Resident Evil Zero is one of the best RE games.
5. The Metal Gear Solid series ended with Sons of Liberty as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to acknowledge 4 or Revengeance or any of it as existing in my canon.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/Dream_Lucky_Egg_Sprite_zpsaa9513cb.png

NeoCracker
04-02-2014, 11:49 PM
1) Xenogears is not a good game.

2) FF VII is only a decent game, nothing more.

3) Megaman X is better then the non-X games, and better then Super Mario World.

Pumpkin
04-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Sorry my thoughts are going to be a bit all over the place with this.

I like Penelo and Vanille.
I like Star Ocean: The Last Hope also.
This isn't me trying to sound cool, but FFVII is really nothing special to me. It was my least favorite when I played VII, VIII, IX, and X when I got them all when I was 8-9ish, and I had to force myself to stick to the whole thing and play it all last year. I tried several times before then and barely made it past disc 1. I don't think it's a bad game, I don't hate it, but it really isn't enjoyable for me. It's more of a "eh, it's okay".
Final Fantasy VIII is tied for my second favorite Final Fantasy. I really enjoy the love story and I like Squall a lot as a character. He is actually my favorite Final Fantasy main hero.
I hate the Street Fighter and DOA games. Hate them.
I think Final Fantasy X-2 is a great game.
I enjoyed Xenosaga Episode II.
I enjoyed Suikoden IV. It is my least favorite of the series but some of the stuff was really fun and I enjoyed it.
I don't find FPS fun at all.
I hate challenging and difficult games. I know some people enjoy it, and that's really great for them, but I can't stand it when a game is too difficult. I play a game to relax, enjoy myself, lose myself in the world and story, and I personally cannot do any of that when I'm stuck doing the same fights over and over again because they're difficult.
I hate Aeris with a fiery passion and I'm not too keen on Cloud, and I find Sephiroth to be a subpar villain.
I like the newer Pokemon just fine, some of them even more than some Gen I Pokemon. I'm not sure if this counts for video games, but I'm going to assume so because they have video games!
Xenogears is almost unplayable for me. I read the whole game script, love the story, the gameplay is a chore for me. I don't enjoy actually playing the game.
I did not like the battle system in Xenosaga episode I as compared to the other 2 titles.
I think the junction/GF system in VIII was enjoyable, and I'm glad they tried something new.
Speaking of VIII, I have never played Triple Triad and I have no intention of ever doing so. Just reading over the rules made me turn off to it altogether.
I like Cait Sith.
I like Kimahri. I think he's the best character in X by a good margin.
I like Yuna's voice acting.
Quina is my second favorite IX character and one of my favorite video game characters ever.
Tifa's boobs are not attractive, but absurd and ridiculous.
I love games made for little girls, like Wedding Planner, and Princess Debut.
I tried playing Chrono Cross but it couldn't hold my interest.

Not sure how unpopular all of those are. I'm going based off of things I've heard others say, but I could be mistaken about some of them being unpopular. The Aeris one seems about 50/50, but I included it because some people are just appalled that I don't like her.

Pete for President
04-03-2014, 02:04 AM
I love the endings of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Bolivar
04-03-2014, 02:43 AM
I love the endings of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

So much this!

FFVII was a revolutionary game.

Steam sales are like visiting the town dump after your first two or three.

Vaan was a good protaginist.

MGS4 was one of the highlights of the PS3.

Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind.

Competition in the games industry is bad for the consumer, leading to stagnating software that tries to appeal to everyone.

Wolf Kanno
04-03-2014, 04:04 AM
I think FFIV is more important to the FF series than VII.
I feel Sony needs to stop making handhelds.
I felt the Wii was not a bad system, in fact it had most of my favorite games last gen.
I with the zombie game fad would end.
I feel MGS4 is the weakest MGS game and I feel Kojima is burnt out on the franchise and needs to finally move on.
FFX is a mediocre game
Motomu Toriyama (Director of FFX, X-2, XII:RW, and the XIII trilogy) and Kazuhige Nojima (writer of FFVII, VIII, X, X-2, XIII concept, KH2) are largely responsible for the drop in quality of Square games.
I feel the Igarashi era of Castlevania is the best era.
I feel that Valkyria Chronicles is a great concept that is marred by poor execution and shackled with a plot that represents a large part of what I feel is wrong with the JRPG genre.
FFXIII is one of the worst huge budget games to come out in the last decade.
FFXII was the last good FF.
Street Fighter peaked with the Alpha series and SFIV.
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 was the last good Vs game Capcom made with the Marvel franchise.
BlazBlue isn't that good.
Xenogears OST is the best work of Yasunori Mitsdua's career in game music.
The Sega Saturn was one of Sega's best consoles.
The N64 was a terrible system.
Moogles are better than Chocobos (sorry BoB, it's just true)
Mega Man X6 was the last good traditional X game.
I don't feel that Persona 4 is as good as Persona 2 and Persona 3
AC: Revelations is the best of the EzioTrilogy, in fact it may be the best game in the franchise.
God of War is not as good as Devil May Cry and the franchise needs to finally end.
Breath of Fire V is actually one of the best games in the series and was a ahead of its time for the JRPG genre.
BoF3 is better than BoF4
358/2 and Chain of Memories are the best written entries in Kingdom Hearts
Crisis Core was a terrible game that failed to live up to its potential.

Skyblade
04-03-2014, 04:07 AM
I like Penelo and Vanille.

I share this one.

Final Fantasy VIII is tied for my second favorite Final Fantasy. I really enjoy the love story and I like Squall a lot as a character. He is actually my favorite Final Fantasy main hero.

FFVIII isn't that high on my list, but I do really like Squall as a character and I enjoy the love story.

I think Final Fantasy X-2 is a great game.

I don't think that's exactly unpopular anymore. As with Wind Waker, hating it was the only opinion anyone voiced when it came out, but since then, everyone realized just how much good there actually is in the game.

I don't find FPS fun at all.

Have you played Metroid Prime?

I hate challenging and difficult games. I know some people enjoy it, and that's really great for them, but I can't stand it when a game is too difficult. I play a game to relax, enjoy myself, lose myself in the world and story, and I personally cannot do any of that when I'm stuck doing the same fights over and over again because they're difficult.

I mostly agree, but I like having the options. The worst is games that claim to have difficulty settings, but they don't change a lot.

I like the newer Pokemon just fine, some of them even more than some Gen I Pokemon. I'm not sure if this counts for video games, but I'm going to assume so because they have video games!

I agree. Some of the Gen I Pokémon are just kind of "huh". However, there are lackluster Pokémon in every Gen. I think Gen IV is probably my least favorite. Gen III is disqualified because it's the only Gen I never finished.

I think the junction/GF system in VIII was enjoyable, and I'm glad they tried something new.

I don't know that anyone would disagree with that. It is enjoyable. It's just broken as all heck.

Speaking of VIII, I have never played Triple Triad and I have no intention of ever doing so. Just reading over the rules made me turn off to it altogether.

Not a fan of math?

I like Cait Sith.

So do I, but not enough to ever use him in battle.

I like Kimahri. I think he's the best character in X by a good margin.

Really?

I like Yuna's voice acting.

Yep, me too.

Quina is my second favorite IX character and one of my favorite video game characters ever.

First Kimahri, now Quina? C'mon, shion.

Tifa's boobs are not attractive, but absurd and ridiculous.

There is so much more to character design and attractiveness that her bust has honestly never been a major factor to me, positively or negatively. Do so many guys really just focus on a girl's boobs immediately?

I tried playing Chrono Cross but it couldn't hold my interest.

Agreed.

Pumpkin
04-03-2014, 04:09 AM
I am not a fan of math and I am a lady :P

Kimahri and Quina are awesome :nonono:

Skyblade
04-03-2014, 04:45 AM
I am not a fan of math and I am a lady :P

I know that (the second bit). But guys are usually the ones who stress that feature. My question was a general one, not directed at you specifically.

Fynn
04-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Well, it's hard not to notice when they're that big and would really get in the way with her battle style :p

Forsaken Lover
04-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Here's another one.

I think Final Fantasy IX is overrated.

I played it, I beat it several times, and that's why I have no desire to ever play it again. True it has a decent story, and the storytelling itself was excellent, but at the end of the day it's still a barebones story.

Compare to something like Xenogears. I have no problem admitting FFIX is a better put together game than it but I'd rather play XG over and over again because it never loses that "It" factor that draws you in again and again.

Fynn
04-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I think Xenogears is both terrible and incredibly awesome. It is the only game to achieve that feat in my opinion.

I love Chrono Cross to bit.

I think Silent Hill 2 has the best story in a video game of all time. While this may not be exactly unpopular, let me just stress that I think it is hands-down the best story ever. Nothing can beat it. Nothing.

On that note, I don't think people know how to do horror nowadays, and it's not just a video game problem. But horror is really subjective, so...

I was severely disappointed by The Last Story. It had a lot of good stuff in it, don't get be wrong, but it just didn't click with me as well as I expected. Plus, the romance plot is just abysmal.

Final Fantasy X blows.

Final Fantasy XII is the best, most polished, most mature and subtle of the numbered titles.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the single greatest game in existence.

The Sims 3 with all of its expansions is an incredibly deep and layered game with tons of content and replay value and I can't stop playing it.

Ayen
04-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Unpopular Opnions

Mmhmm.

Video Game Edition

My time has come :cool:

I appreciate what From Software is doing with the Souls franchise. I've been a fan of theirs since Armored Core. But I did not enjoy Dark Souls and most likely wouldn't have played it if it wasn't for a review. It's a game meant to be frustrating in order to make mastering it more rewarding and the rest can only be enjoyed online, and I hate games where you only get the most out of it online. I don't like playing online. Dark Souls also fails to give a proper introduction to the world, it fails to be self explanatory in how to play it and is one of the only games I've played where reading a guide is not only expected but necessary if you intend to get anywhere. And quite frankly it went to ridiculous leanths just to up the difficulty and make it even more frustrating than it already was. You know a game that's hard and also fun? Spelunky. I think I'll stick with that.

I don't like MMOs. It goes back to my not enjoying online games. There are exceptions to this but they are few and far between and even then they cannot hold my interest long enough to keep me playing for more than a couple of weeks before I get bored with them. If I wanted to play multiplayer I'd rather do it where the person is sitting next to me with their own controller. At least then we can actually talk about the game together.

I was never bothered by the laughing scene in X. I'm rarely bothered by any of the things that people are bothered about with various games throughout history. VIII's characters are another example of this. It's weird because I'll often be annoyed at petty things but it's rare when it comes to video games and such.

I don't think Devil May Cry 2 is as bad a game for the reasons the fans think it is. I don't think it's a good game either, but it had a lot of potential that was unfortunately wasted. A more serious Dante was a step up IMO if only they acknowledged the change between games. But we don't get as much as a hint, we're just expected to accept he's changed and not question it. No. WTF, Capcom? Dante is different and you can at least tell us why! I still prefer it to Devil May Cry 4 which story was all over the damn place and felt more like a Final Fantasy game than a Devil May Cry game.

DMC1 Dante wasn't cool. He felt like a guy who was trying to be badass and cool instead of actually being badass and cool. The writing was terrible in the first game. Give him a personality. Give him flaws. Make us actually bloody invested in his story. No. Just have him say things that cliche cool people say and then overact when he tries to be serious. That's so much better -- NOT!

I do not care for Bethesda style when it comes to RPGs. Even though I enjoyed Fallout 3 and what I played of Skyrim, the style of their RPGs with the first-person point of view, lack of voice for your character and meh dialog options are something that turns me off and make me bored before very long. I have been spoiled by JRPGs and BioWare style of RPGs. I get the appeal of Bethesda RPGs, but I cannot enjoy them as much as I do with BioWare and all the old JRPGs I used to play.

I found Mortal Kombat 3 and 4 to be underwhelming and didn't enjoy the games again until Deadly Alliance. I liked the story arc that went across DA, Deception and Armageddon leading into a time travel reboot with the most recent installment.

Fighting games can have good story and character progression, as proven by Evil Zone and even Mortal Kombat, so I refuse to accept the argument that fighting games don't have good story because they're fighting games. It's an excuse for the ones that have bad stories, nothing more.

maybee
04-03-2014, 10:06 AM
> I love Final Fantasy VII, most likely favorite Final Fantasy game

> I despise Balthier from Final Fantasy XII

> I can't stand most Mario games, and find them overated.

> I can't stand Sonic 3

> I hate Halo

> I hate World Of Warcraft

> I loved Hope in Final Fantasy XIII, and thought that he was one of the best parts of the game

> I fail to see the point of why the N64 is so praised minus the Zelda games, when the PlayStation was a zillion better console, and yet on most gaming lists the N64 is rated so high and the PlayStation is below it.
Butt-hurt Nintendo fanboy made the list ?

> I fail to see the point of SNES vs Genesis, it's going TODAY, both of the retro consoles are great. Stop it.

> Ninja Gaiden on the NES isn't that frustrating or annoying, it's hard, but it's more fun than annoying.

> MMO's suck

> War games suck

I Took the Red Pill
04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Dead Space is a bad game.

Killer7 is one of the best games on the Gamecube.

Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.

Super Meat Boy is not good enough to warrant the praise it's gotten.

Ayen
04-03-2014, 12:44 PM

This is an unpopular opinion now? Oh internet, how you've changed.

Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.

I love the crap out of this game. It was the most fun I had with a 3D Mario game yet. I don't know why it gets a bad wrap unless it has to do with the game main objective being to clean up a big mess everywhere. At least it wasn't the usual "save the princess, save the world" mumble jumble.

Bolivar
04-03-2014, 02:19 PM
> I fail to see the point of why the N64 is so praised minus the Zelda games, when the PlayStation was a zillion better console, and yet on most gaming lists the N64 is rated so high and the PlayStation is below it.

Revisionist history. Even on the games front, a lot of those PS1 masterpieces are sliding lower and lower on Top Games of All Time lists while the legacies of a lot of N64 games are surging. The same thing happened in Hip Hop a few years back where Jay-Z's back catalog started getting a lot more recognition than it ever had (or rightly deserved), just because he had made a lot of money in recent years.

Forsaken Lover
04-03-2014, 02:50 PM
N64 had Perfect Dark.

Your argument is invalid.

Ayen
04-03-2014, 02:55 PM
As a person who owned both systems, I always found them to be about even. It just depended what you were looking for in terms of games.

Bolivar
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM
I would like to present Exhibit A to the jury:

N64 had Perfect Dark.

Your argument is invalid.

Old Manus
04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Shadow of the Colossus was boring
MGS4 ruined the series beyond all chance of saving it (though apparently this isn't unpopular anymore?)
Star Wars Battlefront 1 was better than SWBF2
Watch Dogs looks rubbish
Neither Wakka or Tidus were annoying
Vivi is the worst Final Fantasy character
Deus Ex was an amazing game until you get half way through Paris, at which point it becomes a point & shoot borefest
Tomb Raider sold out

More to come.

NeoCracker
04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Throw me in the Shadow of Colossus is boring lot.

Also Tomb Raider was never good to begin with.

Skyblade
04-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Revisionist history. Even on the games front, a lot of those PS1 masterpieces are sliding lower and lower on Top Games of All Time lists while the legacies of a lot of N64 games are surging. The same thing happened in Hip Hop a few years back where Jay-Z's back catalog started getting a lot more recognition than it ever had (or rightly deserved), just because he had made a lot of money in recent years.

The N64's games honestly aged better. A lot of the PSX's games suffer from problems. When it came to early 3D, compare both the art and controls of Super Mario 64 with those of Tenchu. I loved Tenchu when it was originally out. I now find it almost unplayable. The realistic 3D of most of Sony's games also didn't age as well as the stylized 3D of Nintendo's titles.

I had some great experiences on the PSX, and it may have done a lot to revolutionize the market, but it doesn't stand the test of time as well as the N64.

Sephiroth
04-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Final Fantasy has not become worse since the fusion, in fact half of the titles before were not that great.
Lightning is one of the best Final Fantasy characters and the Final Fantasy XIII Trinity is despite its plotholes the second best Final Fantasy of all time.
Nier Gestalt is the best gift of god after the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.
Star Ocean The Last Hope is one of the best PS3 RPGs and pretty much had what Final Fantasy XIII lacked and vice-versa.
Final Fantasy VI is ridiculously overrated. It is fantastic (rank III-IV for me) but only became overrated because of the anti-hype-hype to hate VII and suddenly love something that was liked very much by some but not loved that much by that many people years ago.
Most people don't even understand Final Fantasy which, funnily enough, was even stated by the creators during one of the infamous remake rumor interviews. So no opinion. (e.g. missing the term "Cloud's real self" - Cloud is always his real self, it does not matter how you are because you are your consciousness and there is no other person inside of his body but just a part of him that he isolated, so he is always his real self because the conscious guy is Cloud himself minus a bit of him plus a lie; your Self is always you in the beginning, even if something is wrong with it and Cloud even shows many of his normal traits; also things like the Love Debate when it is stated in every official material, the game and books, as well as shown, that while Tifa is a love for Cloud, Aerith is the love and she even states him being his absolute love in Final Fantasy VII Dismantled, who like him more than the womanizer Zack because she knew what was a lie and what not about Cloud, has her soul linked to his, wanted him to be jealous of Zack and to know their future together and everything related to her is his Promised Land, Motomu Toriyama even had to lay special focus on their romantic relationship to make Aerith irreplacable).
I hate canonicity debates. Fans can decide their fanon and nothing else. That is axiomatic. No opinion.
Pretty much all video game companies that were sworn at by fans for becoming bad did not become bad. Everything is flawed. Especially fans. No opinion.
There are so many underrated games.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Donkey Kong 64 isn't very good.

Not strictly gaming related, but I actually enjoy the Mario movie.

Aladdin on the SNES is a lot more enjoyable than on the Genesis.

ToeJam and Earl isn't good.

I like Xenosaga II a lot.

Pete for President
04-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Watch Dogs looks rubbish
Neither Wakka or Tidus were annoying

Agreed on these.

Vagrant Story is the best PS1 rpg Square has made.

Jinx
04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Throw me in the Shadow of Colossus is boring lot.

black orb
04-03-2014, 04:59 PM
>>> Dirge of Cerberus was good game.:luca:

Ayen
04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
>>> Dirge of Cerberus was good game.:luca:

I second this. It fitted Vincent's style so well.

Bolivar
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
The N64's games honestly aged better. A lot of the PSX's games suffer from problems. When it came to early 3D, compare both the art and controls of Super Mario 64 with those of Tenchu. I loved Tenchu when it was originally out. I now find it almost unplayable. The realistic 3D of most of Sony's games also didn't age as well as the stylized 3D of Nintendo's titles.

I had some great experiences on the PSX, and it may have done a lot to revolutionize the market, but it doesn't stand the test of time as well as the N64.

Gotta hand it to you, you really cherry-picked those examples beautifully!

Didn't you also call Metal Gear Solid unplayable?

Forsaken Lover
04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
1. Blood Omen 2 was still interesting, even if it was the weakest game in the series.
2. The scariest thing about Classic Resident Evil was the camera. Camera Angles killed more players than zombies or bioweapons.
3. Dirge of Cerberus was indeed a pretty cool game overall.
4. Final Fantasy II was a lot of fun and isn't the worst game in the series.
5. Silent Hill 4 was a good game with an awesome, awesome character in Walter Sullivan.
6. SNK is better than Capcom. Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters - they all >>>> Street Fighter.

Ayen
04-03-2014, 05:31 PM
2. The scariest thing about Classic Resident Evil was the camera. Camera Angles killed more players than zombies or bioweapons.

LMAO! I can't help but agree with this, though.

Shoeberto
04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Video games are for children, end of discussion.

Slothy
04-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Completely untrue.

First off, the N64 had better 3D controls until the dual shock came out, but even then, Mario 64 was a better 3D platformer than any platformer I ever played on the PSX. Not to mention it had a ton of other great 3D games as well. Majora's Mask, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Rogue Squadron, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Turok, not to mention that GoldenEye and Perfect Dark set the standard for FPS games on console.

The N64 was a console with some of the best, and most legitimately revolutionary 3D games of that era. Now I wouldn't argue that the PSX wasn't the better console. It absolutely was as it had the larger library, better developer support, and a lot more variety in the types of games available. But what the N64 did, it did extremely well. When it came to making 3D games, Nintendo had it figured out from the get go. It wasn't until the end of that generation and the beginning of the next that other companies really started to figure out true 3D games to the same degree Nintendo had back in 1996. They laid out the groundwork that is the basis for almost every 3D game out there right now on one level or another. Certainly the controls in pretty much every third person 3D game can be traced directly to Mario 64. The PSX may have been more popular and it may have had the better overall library, but Nintendo set the standard for 3D games, not the PlayStation. And that's not revisionist history. Anyone who played both consoles at the time would tell you that 3D games on the PSX didn't come close to controlling as well as Mario 64 for a long time.

As for unpopular opinions:
-FFX is mediocre
-FFXIII is one of the worst big budget games ever made
-FFVII is mediocre as well
-RE4 is an awful game
-The movement controls in RE4 are the same tank like garbage people complained about in the earlier games. Except they're actually more cumbersome in 4.

Bolivar
04-03-2014, 08:38 PM
The PSX may have been more popular and it may have had the better overall library, but Nintendo set the standard for 3D games, not the PlayStation. And that's not revisionist history.

Ummm....

Kinda confused here. It looks like you're reiterating the point I was trying to make and responding to one I never did.

Madame Adequate
04-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Nobody except me knows shit about videogames.

Dark Souls is a very good game, but not the revolutionary masterpiece it's been roundly hailed as.

Shorty
04-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I think Silent Hill 2 has the best story in a video game of all time. While this may not be exactly unpopular, let me just stress that I think it is hands-down the best story ever. Nothing can beat it. Nothing.

Interesting! I like this game very much, but I don't know if I'd be so bold as to call it the best video game story of all time. Can you elaborate?

Tomb Raider sold out

Agreed.

I prefer Dead Island to Left 4 Dead.

Pumpkin
04-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Why do you guys think Tomb Raider sold out?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I know very little about the series so this is more of a curiosity question to understand what you're talking about.

maybee
04-04-2014, 05:49 AM

Shit

I meant Final Fantasy VIII

no internet hasn't changed, VIII is still hated sadly ;c

> I hate Tactics, least favorite Final Fantasy game ever, even prefer XII, at least XII had Larsa.

Shiny
04-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Silent Hill 2 is pretty high on my list of good stories and maybe I would consider it close to Red Dead Redemption in terms of damn good story.

My unpopular opinion is that Resident Evil, the whole series is horrible trout. Why this is not the popular opinion, I will never know. Wait, I kinda do know: character eye candy and zombies. With that said, I will keep playing them bitterly because zombies and co-op.

Old Manus
04-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Why do you guys think Tomb Raider sold out?A lot of people like it, but in my opinion:

Iconic dual pistols replaced with am ~edgy~ bow and arrow. It's like switching out James Bond's handgun with a club.
The original games were smurfing hard, man. I mean, properly difficult. You could spend ages padding about trying to open a door. This one smurfing LIGHTS UP EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO if you spend more than a paltry amount of time trying to figure it out. Why do games these days always have to hold your hand every step of the way for fear you might get bored and switch off if a puzzle requires anything approaching player agency?
The originals had some truly amazing level design. I was playing TR2 the other week and was wowed by how a game made in 1997 still actually looks better and well put together than so many games I've seen since. (Exhibit A (http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/tr2barkhang012.jpg) Exhibit B (http://tombraiders.hu/files/tr2/1/tr2_15_5.jpg) Exhibit C (http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/tr3/scenery4.jpg)). Now it's just 'lol enjoy ur grimdark jungle'. The jungle level in TR3 (nb. Level 1) was more aesthetically pleasing than the whole game.
It used to be a more cerebral game with vast levels focused on problem solving, platforming and puzzling, with combat added in to make things interesting. Now it's a cut & paste third person over-the-shoulder shooter. I've played this game hundreds of times before.
The character of Lara changed from a no-bulltrout-80s-style-action-hero to your typical vulnerable introspective ~why do i fight~ emotional wuss. Sure, you can say the character is 'deeper' or whatever, but I preferred the action hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-SsIRtvYp0).
Her accent. Oh my God.

Note: One may get the impression from this post that I actually really care that much. I don't. I just prefer the originals.

Sephex
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Why do you guys think Tomb Raider sold out?A lot of people like it, but in my opinion:

Iconic dual pistols replaced with am ~edgy~ bow and arrow. It's like switching out James Bond's handgun with a club.
The original games were smurfing hard, man. I mean, properly difficult. You could spend ages padding about trying to open a door. This one smurfing LIGHTS UP EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO if you spend more than a paltry amount of time trying to figure it out. Why do games these days always have to hold your hand every step of the way for fear you might get bored and switch off if a puzzle requires anything approaching player agency?
The originals had some truly amazing level design. I was playing TR2 the other week and was wowed by how a game made in 1997 still actually looks better and well put together than so many games I've seen since. (Exhibit A (http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/tr2barkhang012.jpg) Exhibit B (http://tombraiders.hu/files/tr2/1/tr2_15_5.jpg) Exhibit C (http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/screenshots/tr3/scenery4.jpg)). Now it's just 'lol enjoy ur grimdark jungle'. The jungle level in TR3 (nb. Level 1) was more aesthetically pleasing than the whole game.
It used to be a more cerebral game with vast levels focused on problem solving, platforming and puzzling, with combat added in to make things interesting. Now it's a cut & paste third person over-the-shoulder shooter. I've played this game hundreds of times before.
The character of Lara changed from a no-bulltrout-80s-style-action-hero to your typical vulnerable introspective ~why do i fight~ emotional wuss. Sure, you can say the character is 'deeper' or whatever, but I preferred the action hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-SsIRtvYp0).
Her accent. Oh my God.

Note: One may get the impression from this post that I actually really care that much. I don't. I just prefer the originals.

Also, triangle boobs are more attractive.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 12:20 PM

trout

I meant Final Fantasy VIII

Don't feel too bad. I made the same typo when I reviewed Final Fantasy VIII back in January.

no internet hasn't changed, VIII is still hated sadly ;c

People say this, but whenever I venture outside of EoFF all I see for VIII is love and admiration and a desire to see it remade along with VII and IX so I'm not convinced.

You guys have got me wanting to play Silent Hill 2 now. I've been meaning to look into that series.

maybee
04-04-2014, 01:31 PM

I disagree, I mean Super Mario 64 looks like a blocky mess, and Tenchu is still fantastic, it's aged, but it still has the enjoyment of stealth and murder, as ninja's do.

The PlayStation still has Crash, Spyro the Dragon, old Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, castlevania symphony of the night and more which are still solid today.

The Man
04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
I dunno, seems fine to me for a game released in 1996:

xL6VE_5PddM

Granted, this is under emulation but still.

And Vivi is correct about the controls; even to this day nearly every 3D platformer that comes out owes a huge debt to SM64. It set a standard for gameplay that honestly hasn't been topped.

Slothy
04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
And Vivi is correct about the controls; even to this day nearly every 3D platformer that comes out owes a huge debt to SM64. It set a standard for gameplay that honestly hasn't been topped.

It's not even just platformers if you think about it. Something as simple as having 3D camera control originates there. It certainly wasn't perfect with the c-buttons of course, but it was workable, and even back then Nintendo recognized the need for it to make 3D games work. And out of that we not only get camera control on the right stick in later titles, but aiming using the right stick in third person shooters since it's fundamentally the same (though it's also influenced by FPS titles as well. There's a lot of intermingling of possible origins at that time). And the Turok series was also probably one of the first to allow aiming using the stick while moving which was freaking huge at the time. It was quite a while before we saw that on a Playstation console. Hell, Medal of Honor, which came out almost a year and a half after the release of the dual shock in North America didn't do it, and I'll admit to liking the game quite a bit myself, in spite of the awful controls. In fact, I don't remember dual analog controls becoming really prevelant until the PS2 had hit and we started getting things like Timesplitters. THough I didn't play many FPS games on the PSX because of how awful most controlled.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Nintendo always gets a bad wrap for being more family orientated and having a long list of games aimed at children, but they really do know their trout. When I went back to Ocarina of Time last November Hyrule still looked beautiful even by today's standards.

Shorty
04-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Her accent. Oh my God.

Manus has been able to articulate my feelings well. Summarized, I feel like the integrity of this series has vanished in it's attempt to move away from the original games. They have reinvented Lara Croft, she not the same anymore and neither are the structures of the recent games.

I understand changing up platforms and design and things like that. I can appreciate those things, and wanting to make her appeal more to a mass audience, etc. I just feel that the new games are so foreign-looking and operating that they should be under a completely different franchise.

Slothy
04-04-2014, 05:55 PM

I feel like this only holds true for the earlier parts of the game. Later on she's less vulnerable and tends to go full psychopath by the end as she actively wants to kill all of the bad guys on that island.

And as someone who never really played much of the originals and own a bow myself, I preferred the bow to dual pistols. But I'm biased.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 06:23 PM
It was Lara Croft before she became the woman we knew, the changes made sense. Also, the dual pistols make their return during the final boss fight.

Forsaken Lover
04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I too think Lara sold out.

They should have listened to this guy for the plot of the new TR game.
5s0lzbCK9f8

I've never played a Tomb Raider game. I just found this video and can't stop laughing.

krissy
04-05-2014, 07:00 PM
ff13-2 was the most fun rpg in years

ff13 series has the best battle systems in ff history

gta5 is boring. i don't buy the 'its a warped mirror of our societies nowadays' stuff.

spec ops: the line wasn't 'such a great story', and even thought the overarching themes are important it was written pretty badly in terms of pacing
maybe if the body count had been more believable i'd have been less displaced from the game world
otherwise it kept repeating that it wasn't a real thing to me

i think i have an issue with games that try to be too realistic in some aspects and a farce in others; spec ops had the makings of a great story, gta games do an entirely believable setting but its not comic book enough for me to take it seriously, or its too comic book for me to take it seriously sometimes.
i suppose it's an uncanny valley sort of effect for me.
would rather play little big planet than gta5 right now
and i dont really like little big planet. doesn't seem to be any interesting puzzles in it.

although gorgeous game.

lego games are boring too :(

Trumpet Thief
04-09-2014, 04:20 AM
Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin absolutely ruined the game for me. The cast and crew, up until that point, had such amazing interactions and personal relationships with each other.

Once the 'World of Ruin' section started, any piece of dialogue could have essentially belonged to any of the characters.

maybee
04-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Nintendo always gets a bad wrap for being more family orientated and having a long list of games aimed at children, but they really do know their trout. When I went back to Ocarina of Time last November Hyrule still looked beautiful even by today's standards.

I don't hate Nintendo or the N64, I just think that the PlayStation is the more superior console when it comes to 90's video gaming.

SNES
PlayStation
Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64

Ayen
04-09-2014, 01:55 PM

I don't hate Nintendo or the N64, I just think that the PlayStation is the more superior console when it comes to 90's video gaming.

SNES
PlayStation
Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64

I was speaking in general.

maybee
04-09-2014, 03:49 PM

SNES
PlayStation
Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64

I was speaking in general.

Oh sorry.

The Man
04-09-2014, 09:32 PM
The world of ruin was the best part of FFVI :colbert:

Skyblade
04-10-2014, 06:26 PM
The world of ruin was the best part of FFVI :colbert:

No, the soundtrack was the best part.

Also, I don't know that your opinion is "unpopular".

Rune Factory has a place next to Bravely Default, Super Mario RPG / Paper Mario, and Persona as one of the greatest spin offs in gaming history.

Flaming Ice
04-10-2014, 07:56 PM

The whining ruined it ...boo.

Strategy rpgs are awesome~!

Madame Adequate
04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Persona isn't a good series.

Ayen
04-10-2014, 08:29 PM
So far I am enjoying ACIII more than ACII.

Bunny
04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Final Fantasy VII is subpar; Final Fantasy IX is very good; Final Fantasy VIII was better than both of them. Final Fantasy X is in a league of its own when it comes to horrendous titles.

While it might not be a significantly unpopular opinion among those who have played it, Baldur's Gate 2 remains one of the best, most solid RPGs in living memory. And it is severely underplayed by those who consider themselves fans of the genre.

Suikoden IV was a solid entry into the series and was very enjoyable. Overall, Suikoden I is the worst game in the series if only because it came first and did not get the chance to learn from its predecessors.

Final Fantasy is not the best video games series, or even the best RPG series, of all time. They are decent games, but nothing significant to write home about. The most successful thing Final Fantasy has ever done was make their games have a high replay value. They are far from groundbreaking.

People overreact to extreme proportions when it comes to EA's policies, game releases, etc. They do what every other major video game company does with far less transparency. And they can, because people still gobble up whatever trout they release time after time.

Skyblade
04-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Final Fantasy is not the best video games series, or even the best RPG series, of all time. They are decent games, but nothing significant to write home about. The most successful thing Final Fantasy has ever done was make their games have a high replay value. They are far from groundbreaking.

Groundbreaking =/= good. Innovation is not, in itself, a good thing. There have been more innovative games that are complete junk than I can possibly hope to count, and you can get some absolutely stellar titles that don't innovate at all.

People overreact to extreme proportions when it comes to EA's policies, game releases, etc. They do what every other major video game company does with far less transparency. And they can, because people still gobble up whatever trout they release time after time.

I'm on the other side of this. People under react to EA's practices. EA continues to make horrendous decisions that are obviously anti-consumer and harmful to the industry, and the games themselves. But people just complain about it instead of simply ceasing to give EA money, which would shut down the problems almost immediately.

Bunny
04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Groundbreaking =/= good. Innovation is not, in itself, a good thing. There have been more innovative games that are complete junk than I can possibly hope to count, and you can get some absolutely stellar titles that don't innovate at all.

I agree, you can. Final Fantasy is not one of them, however.

I'm on the other side of this. People under react to EA's practices. EA continues to make horrendous decisions that are obviously anti-consumer and harmful to the industry, and the games themselves. But people just complain about it instead of simply ceasing to give EA money, which would shut down the problems almost immediately.

The problem is, plenty of other game companies do the same thing, or slightly less bad. As long as they do it quieter than EA, however, they can pretty much skate by unscathed. EA has become the industry scapegoat.

Skyblade
04-10-2014, 11:34 PM

I agree, you can. Final Fantasy is not one of them, however.

That's fine, you just ended with that line, as though it were the ultimate conclusion of your statement.

The problem is, plenty of other game companies do the same thing, or slightly less bad. As long as they do it quieter than EA, however, they can pretty much skate by unscathed. EA has become the industry scapegoat.

No other game company has nearly the history of buying up promising developers and immediately turning their games into absolute crap. That's all EA.

Also, being less subtle about it is something you think would be important. Plenty of games and companies have been boycotted over problems in the past. EA just found out it apparently doesn't matter, so they have no reason to stop.

Bunny
04-11-2014, 01:00 AM
And they shouldn't stop. They should keep doing what they are doing until the gaming community as a whole stands up and stops putting up with their bullshit. Until that point, people need to stop complaining about it so damn much. Stop supporting the company that is screwing you over and maybe they'll stop screwing you over.

Skyblade
04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
That's exactly what I meant. Hence why I was saying that people were under-reacting. Because they should be boycotting the stupid company, instead of just whining. It's a company, it's going to do whatever it can to best make money. If you have a problem with its business practices, stop giving it money.

People are stupid.

Oh, wait, unpopular opinions. >.<

Forsaken Lover
04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Ashley Graham from Resident Evil 4 isn't annoying at all. She IS sexy though, even with those weird ears.

Jiro
04-20-2014, 04:18 AM
I remember we had a slew of these a year or so ago and just thought we could use another bout of everyone asserting that they are beautiful snowflakes.

I'll start.

2. I despise absolutely everything about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
3. Snow and Hope were my favorite part of FFXIII.
4. Resident Evil Zero is one of the best RE games.
5. The Metal Gear Solid series ended with Sons of Liberty as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to acknowledge 4 or Revengeance or any of it as existing in my canon.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/Dream_Lucky_Egg_Sprite_zpsaa9513cb.png

I'll bite

Pike
04-20-2014, 10:20 AM
My unpopular opinion is that I hate unpopular opinion threads because they just turn into a circlejerk of negativity

NeoCracker
04-20-2014, 11:28 AM
My unpopular opinion is that I hate unpopular opinion threads because they just turn into a circlejerk of negativity

YOU'RE A CIRCLEJERK OF NEGATIVITY~

Also that's not an opinion on video games. :colbert: