PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Dragoon

Ayen
04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Has anyone here ever played The Legend of Dragon for the Sony PlayStation? It was one of my favorite JRPGs of all time when I was a kid and I still have my hard copy today in good condition. It was tremendous fun and I remember how tasking the first disc alone was. It was a lot longer than the first disc of FFVII and FFVIII and so much has happened by the time I got to disc 2.

Discuss.

Wolf Kanno
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I remember this game, I really enjoyed the battle system and its music. The plot was okay, it starts off strong but I kind of felt like it didn't do much to really shake things up for the player except for the identity of the Black Monster, which was kind of obvious but still created some good tension in the story. Rose and Albert are still the best characters and Disc 2 easily had the best world map theme.

Del Murder
04-04-2014, 04:19 PM
I tried to get into this and it was a nice little game, but the translation was pretty bad and the battles got boring after a while. I also had no interest in the story. The style reminded me a lot of FFVII.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Interesting. It's been a while since I played so I can't remember much in translation errors. Can you provide examples?

Del Murder
04-04-2014, 04:56 PM
No. I'm sure you can find examples if you Google it. It was more a general feeling where I saw repeated grammatical mistakes or the dialogue didn't make any sense.

Mercen-X
04-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I own it. I beat it. I didn't grind long enough to beat the final boss "easily." I had to use every single attack item I had ever acquired whether they were elemental in nature or not. That was just to tide me over until my characters could use their Dragoon powers. I'm pretty sure my team was comprised of Dart, Haschel, and Albert. It's been years since I last played.

VeloZer0
04-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I actually went back and played this over the Christmas break. Combat is adequate and I don't rate the writing/dialogue all this highly. However I had completely forgotten that Rose is one of my favourite video game characters. I really really liked her storyline.

Laddy
04-15-2014, 07:34 PM
I think the only thing LoD needed was having the additions each have certain attack properties and you selected which one you wanted to perform before attacking as opposed to having but one equipped. It would have added a lot of strategy and tactics to the battle system.

Example: Some additions have a "knock down" effect, others a "armor penetration" effect and such. That way the addition system is still there but has a lot more tactical depth.

Mercen-X
04-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Legaia did it better, I must say.

Masamunemaster
04-19-2014, 08:14 PM
I think the only thing LoD needed was having the additions each have certain attack properties and you selected which one you wanted to perform before attacking as opposed to having but one equipped. It would have added a lot of strategy and tactics to the battle system.

Example: Some additions have a "knock down" effect, others a "armor penetration" effect and such. That way the addition system is still there but has a lot more tactical depth.

Another thing, I was telling my buddy the other day that once they master an addition they can add their element to it. Would have been a great idea.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Here's my small collection. Left to Right: prima strategy guide with a few notes inside, like new black label game, sealed VHS tape from PlayStation Underground, my beloved original black label from the year of release, Japanese strategy guide.

I love this game. Every once in a while I'll go on a place like eBay and check out the prices of a few things such as fan made t-shirts, cut outs from magazines, or action figures. I don't even collect action figures, and yet, I want that Lloyd. I gifted one to a friend before.

I think I've done pretty much everything there is to do in this game. I've beaten it all the way through a few times and I have countless attempts made partially through as well.

My longest playthrough was clocked in around 99 hours. And I did everything. Got every item, weapon and stardust. Beat the hidden boss Faust and did all the side quests. I even talked to every NPC 3 or 4 times to make sure I didn't miss any dialogue. Including going back to cities where you actually have to put in a previous disc to visit them.

I liked the additions because it forced you to pay attention to every battle. Some of them are a pain until you can master them (Gust of Wind Dance) but when you finally do, it's satisfying. I would love a prequel that expands on the Dragon Campaign. I'll write it myself, Sony!

One thing that really sticks out to me above all else when I think of the game is the music. It's fantastic.

qdky4NDCmqA