PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Legaia

Ayen
04-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Something in the mist! Something in the mist! There are monsters. Monsters in the mist! Here it comes! The darkness!

Has anyone here played this game? It was another old favorite of mine from the PlayStation 1 era. I used to watch my brother play it all the time before dabbling into it myself. I was terrible at it, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I like all the combo choices you got to choose from instead of just pressing X and watching the character attack. I liked the whole thing with the mist too.

Discuss.

Wolf Kanno
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
I played the demo, and I meant to pick it up but then it kind of just vanished from every game store I went to. I liked the combo system as well, seeing it as an evolution from Xenogears system and I remember the first time I heard about FFIX's world, I was reminded of this game since this one had the magical Mist element long before it. Maybe I'll try to go online and hunt down a copy of this game.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 12:37 AM
I always enjoyed the trio's hair color in this game. You have blue hair, pink hair and then... brown hair. Just brown. Because he didn't need any special hair color.

NeoCracker
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Game has some issues, including an ending that wraps up way to nicely, but it's a really fun and solid game.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't have thought a nicely wrapped up ending would be considered an issue.

Vyk
04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Its probably considered too cookie-cutter and generic these days. All except for that glorious battle system. I've always wanted to play an RPG with a fighting game battle engine. And this is probably as close as I'd get. And I loved it. I only played through it the one time, so I'm not sure how well it'd hold up these days. But damn was it a great one-time play through. I loved the world and the characters, and that damn battle system. Everyone seems to compare it to Xenogears. The one magazine I got as a kid said that it was Xenogears battle system on steroids lol And they were completely right

NeoCracker
04-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't have thought a nicely wrapped up ending would be considered an issue.

I should have worded it 'It felt to convenient and sugary'. My bad. :p

theundeadhero
04-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I was the first playstation game I played many years ago. I didn't have much to compare it to other than previous gen RPGs but I choose it because it was an RPG and remember enjoying it. I don't remember much else about it.

Mercen-X
04-11-2014, 08:50 AM
I made it to the final boss but never beat it. This is one of those games I rented and kept going back to rent it again rather than actually buying it. I currently own Duel Saga, its sequel. One thing I didn't appreciate about the game was that each character was always one step ahead of the next. Vahn was always ahead of Noah who was always ahead of Gala making their skills uneven.

NeoCracker
04-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Noah was the one ahead the whole game up until you get to Gala's Super Arts, which is when he takes over the power crunch. :p

blackmage_nuke
04-13-2014, 02:20 PM
I loved Legend of Legaia as it was one of my earliest RPG's. For the longest time I wanted to play Legend of Legaia 2 but I never found a copy and when I finally got a chance to play it my ability to appreciate old games which I hadnt played before had dropped.

Also theres a brief section where you have Vahn and Gala but not Noa which is a great chance to grind Gala to make thier levels match. Theres also the dungeon where they split into 3 parties.
This is just for if you are crazy and never want any characters to be unconcious.

I also never let anyone except Vahn equip Mei's Pendant because that would be rude.

The only other ps1 game I had before this was MGS1 so I thought maybe 10-12 hours was a good game length and when I destroyed the first Mist Generator I was all "well game almost finished, that was fun" Except that's silly since I only just got Gala

Ayen
04-13-2014, 04:06 PM
lol, yeah. MGS is pretty short when you take away the cut-scenes.

I heard about the second Legaia for PS2 -- which I think is more of a spin-off or something than a direct sequel -- I haven't heard good things about it.

VeloZer0
04-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I played the demo, and I meant to pick it up
My story exactly. My 13 year old self was really psyched about it, but it somehow slipped my mind in the next 3 years before I bought myself a PlayStation.

Depression Moon
04-13-2014, 05:47 PM
I played the sequel and liked that.

Mercen-X
04-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Noah was the one ahead the whole game up until you get to Gala's Super Arts, which is when he takes over the power crunch. :p

One of the primary goals of the game is to travel to these temples and get these creatures to give you superpowers (my memory's vague). Since Vahn is your first character, he always has the most out of the three. Then Noa. Then Gala. Stats-be-damned. I think it had to do with the number of arts they had available. There were three attacks that required books and as I remember, each character learned their attacks from the same book. So Vahn would learn his first attack from the first book. Noa would learn hers while Vahn learned his second. Gala would learn his while Noa learned her second and Vahn learned his third. At least, I think that's how it went. I need to play this game again.

NeoCracker
04-14-2014, 02:59 AM

One of the primary goals of the game is to travel to these temples and get these creatures to give you superpowers (my memory's vague). Since Vahn is your first character, he always has the most out of the three. Then Noa. Then Gala. Stats-be-damned. I think it had to do with the number of arts they had available. There were three attacks that required books and as I remember, each character learned their attacks from the same book. So Vahn would learn his first attack from the first book. Noa would learn hers while Vahn learned his second. Gala would learn his while Noa learned her second and Vahn learned his third. At least, I think that's how it went. I need to play this game again.

The reason Noah is such a beast early on is her speed. The high speed gives her the highest amount of attacks each round. Up until your other two members gain their seventh slot, Noah is able to string together so many attacks that the others damage output just doesn't compete.

Gala, however, takes forever to get to that point due to how slow he is. However you cap out at 8 slots, so once Gala hits seven his vastly superior STR just becomes unbeatable for damage output.

Oddly he also has the best magic stat. Really, by end game, Noah is best left to healing due to her speed, as she'll always go first so long as you make sure to boost her speed a couple times. Even with all the damage up Items she still stops competing With Gala by that point.

And there were three books for each of them, and you get the books roughly the same time. Maybe a dungeon or two apart.

Freya
06-03-2014, 02:34 AM
I vaguely remember this game as being a game I played BEFORE Final Fantasy. Don't remember much else about it though.

starlet
06-03-2014, 05:20 AM
I actually really liked this game back in the day. The battle system actually made grinding FUN and I haven't seen anything quite like it since (Never played Xenogears). The story was....Eh? Not all that memorable, but not terrible. Noa was awesome. I remember really liking the battle music, even though it was so 90's that even the fresh prince of bel aire would cringe.

Mercen-X
06-09-2014, 05:43 AM
However you cap out at 8 slots, so once Gala hits seven his vastly superior STR just becomes unbeatable for damage output.

Oh, that must have been it. Every time the group obtained a new move slot, Vahn would always come out ahead. If that's right, then Vahn capped at 10 slots?

NeoCracker
06-09-2014, 06:15 AM
I"m pretty sure they all cap out 8, possibly 9. They all have the same cap. Hence why Noah starts lagging late game. :p

Vyk
06-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it's just that they gain them at different paces or at different times. Noa gets up there first. I don't think I had Gala capped out when I beat the game. So I guess if you maintain a steady pace then they end the way they're supposed to. But if you level grind, then the tables start to turn

NeoCracker
06-09-2014, 07:13 AM
I would imagine Gala would still be at 7 slots with spirit by end game, which is still enough to out damage Noah even with her Miracle Art unlocked.

Clo
07-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I recently bought this game off Amazon and have been replaying it. First off, it's the FIRST RPG I ever played in my life, so I have super mushy feelings about it. Plus, the battle system is actually really fun, albeit I would like some more arts to learn but the combo option makes it better. And it has it's classic moments.

http://archive.thegia.com/psx/legaia/media6/event33.jpg

I also ended up playing the "sequel" Duel Saga but thought it was super boring.

Has anyone else played this game?

Rez09
07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I played it a lot when I was younger. I made the mistake of trying to catch all of the Seru and level them with each character, though. Boy did that kill the experience. ._.

Depression Moon
07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I only played the sequel on PS2 and definitely enjoyed the battle system on there.

Clo
07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I played it a lot when I was younger. I made the mistake of trying to catch all of the Seru and level them with each character, though. Boy did that kill the experience. ._.

Yeah, I ended up pissing myself off by trying to get every character to catch every Seru, then finally realized that maybe it's so damn impossible because you just don't need everyone to have every Seru. I gave up, and have made waaay more progress.

Christmas
07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
I love this game! My favourite character is that primitive crazy lady that was brought up by a wolf that is a seru in disguise! :bigsmile:

She should have married the main character and have crazy primitive cubs. :(

Clo
07-08-2014, 05:37 PM
http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Legaia/Update%2027/3-terra4th.jpg

She is a super babe :love:

StarCross1988
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Yeah I have this game. It's been forever since I've played it though, but I loved it when I was younger. Never did beat it though.

Freya
07-11-2014, 08:15 PM
I should play it again. I remember there was Mist or something. Idk. I love the older games but i'm having a hard time graphic wise replaying things. I've just got so use to the new shiny stuff.

Madame Adequate
07-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Man it's been too long since I played this game, I used to love it when I was a kid but I never managed to finish it.

Christmas
05-12-2022, 11:46 AM
I love it and I finished it! I really like that wild female lead!! :bigsmile: