PDA

View Full Version : Noah

Ayen
04-04-2014, 01:13 AM
I just got back from the theaters a couple of hours ago after seeing Noah. Overall, I thought it was a good film. I enjoyed the creative liberties they took with scripture and the liberties they took actually made sense if you're familiar with scripture. Fundamentalists won't like it. Creationists DEFINITELY won't like one scene in it. But if you're just looking to sit back and eat some popcorn in a dark room for a couple of hours you may get some enjoyment out of it.

They kept showing this freaking serpent closeup on the screen whenever they referenced Adam and Eve that kept making me jump. Some of the liberties I enjoyed were with the angels. They were rock giants called 'The Watchers' and they fell from heaven and was cursed when they wanted to help man after The Fall and then man hunted them. They were also responsible with building up human society after Cain killed Abel and fled to the East. Noah misinterpreting what God (called 'the creator' in the film) wanted and thinking he wanted humanity to die out after preserving the animals and going insane causing his loved ones to hate him was believable. The way he learned of the flood was also more believable too rather than just hearing his voice. And believe it or not they do feature the scene from the bible where he's laying down naked piss drunk and his kids cover him up, with the exception of cursing the youngest born son.

Has anyone else seen the film or are planning to see the film?

Carl the Llama
04-04-2014, 03:57 AM
I am interested in seeing this film, though I expect it to get massively downrated on IMDB due to the liberties they have taken in this film... as is always the way with such movies. For instance I remember reading about The Davinci Code got massively downrated even though it was started numerous times that it was a complete work of fiction lol.

Either way I still want to go see this film, how was Crow in it? Did he have a weird accent in the film? *looks towards Robin Hood".

DMKA
04-04-2014, 04:34 AM
I'll probably rent it when it comes out on bluray. I'm interested to see how Emma Watson performs in a role other than Hermione Granger.

Shorty
04-04-2014, 05:54 AM
I'd like to see it.

Wolf Kanno
04-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Actually the stuff about the Watchers were originally in the Bible in the Book of Enoch which was removed from the Bible over the years. It is one of the Apocrypha Books now and was a pretty interesting read to be honest. I am now more interested in seeing this movie now because of learning they actually incorporated them into the story.

Fynn
04-04-2014, 06:07 AM
They're still changed from what they were in the Apocrypha, though.

I disagree with you on one point, ToriJ - I am Catholic and the film definitely was a religious experience for me, though I can see the universal appeal in it. Overall, I think it's an incredibly beautiful movie. The world created here is amazing and some of the scenes are ibcredibly breathtaking - the world creation scene blew my mind and has probably become my favorite movie scene of all time. Considering Aronofsky's atheism, I must say he has a ton of sensitivity with him, since this movie really resonated strongly with my wife and I. The characterizations were also really strong, and I agree some liberties needed to be taken to make the movie enjoyable. Still, the spirit of the biblical story was there and it really felt profound to me. The acting is top notch on everyone, though I think Russel Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson were above the others in terms of that.

I really loved the movie.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I am interested in seeing this film, though I expect it to get massively downrated on IMDB due to the liberties they have taken in this film... as is always the way with such movies. For instance I remember reading about The Davinci Code got massively downrated even though it was started numerous times that it was a complete work of fiction lol.

Oh my God. I used to sit in a Sunday school classroom where the teacher did a whole lesson plan about this. Claiming that the author really did believe the mystery he wrote in the book but passed it off as fiction so he could get published. All the anti Davinci Code nonsense was ridiculous. My mom ended up watching it anyway because Tom Hanks.

Either way I still want to go see this film, how was Crow in it? Did he have a weird accent in the film? *looks towards Robin Hood".

No accent as far as I could hear. Crow fitted the part of Noah pretty damn well.

Actually the stuff about the Watchers were originally in the Bible in the Book of Enoch which was removed from the Bible over the years. It is one of the Apocrypha Books now and was a pretty interesting read to be honest. I am now more interested in seeing this movie now because of learning they actually incorporated them into the story.

First I heard of it. That's pretty cool.

They're still changed from what they were in the Apocrypha, though.

I disagree with you on one point, ToriJ - I am Catholic and the film definitely was a religious experience for me, though I can see the universal appeal in it. Overall, I think it's an incredibly beautiful movie. The world created here is amazing and some of the scenes are ibcredibly breathtaking - the world creation scene blew my mind and has probably become my favorite movie scene of all time. Considering Aronofsky's atheism, I must say he has a ton of sensitivity with him, since this movie really resonated strongly with my wife and I. The characterizations were also really strong, and I agree some liberties needed to be taken to make the movie enjoyable. Still, the spirit of the biblical story was there and it really felt profound to me. The acting is top notch on everyone, though I think Russel Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson were above the others in terms of that.

I really loved the movie.

Well then. I suppose my spiritual side really is dead.

Fynn
04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Well then. I suppose my spiritual side really is dead.

Nah ;) I guess people just react differently to different things. I'm a big Aronofsky fan and his imagery always strikes me, so maybe that's that :monster:

Also, the Da Vinci code was actually pretty shitty in its own right. I never found it blasphemous or anything. Just badly written. If it weren't for its "scandalacious" nature, it probably never would've gained such notoriety.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-04-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty interested in seeing this. I've only been able to see the perspective of all my conservative Christian friends on Facebook until this thread, and all I could see was every single one of them bashing it for not being completely accurate to the Bible story and how it was blasphemous and what have you.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I only didn't get to see the ending because I had to run out and go to the bathroom. A double cheeseburger and large order of fries on top of five slices of pizza is not, nor will it ever be, a good idea.

Fynn
04-04-2014, 06:40 PM
They basically kinda shoehorned in the story of how Noah got drunk and Cham found him. It's kinda different than in the Bible, but I'm happy it was there.

Ayen
04-04-2014, 06:51 PM
They basically kinda shoehorned in the story of how Noah got drunk and Cham found him. It's kinda different than in the Bible, but I'm happy it was there.

No, I saw that part. I walked out when he was talking to Ila.

Fynn
04-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Oh. Well, she convinces him God chose him for a reason that may have been his love and that He knew Noah would spare the twins so that humanity may survive. Then he gives the girls his blessing with the snakeskin, and Cham is alone on his journey.

I found it kind of amusing though. I imagine God seeing Noah trying to kill the girls and being like "I just sent you two girls, dammit! You guys should live! How was I not clear about this!" :p

Mercen-X
04-05-2014, 08:25 AM
It's been a mixed bag of hearsay driving we the creationist/libertine derivation (namely my parents and I) to shrug and gawk whilst uttering a noise closely resembling the not-a-word "wha..?" I know my dad wants to see it. A scene where a guy (I presume an angel) with a burning sword lights a field aflame provides a narrow leg of support for my waning interest.

Fynn
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Nope, that's Methuselah, Noah's grandad.

The Man
04-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Oh my God. I used to sit in a Sunday school classroom where the teacher did a whole lesson plan about this. Claiming that the author really did believe the mystery he wrote in the book but passed it off as fiction so he could get published.Your Sunday school teacher does realise that the plot is largely based on a published "non-fiction book" that claims the Priory of Sion stuff is all real, right? Also, Dan Brown claimed the back story of the book was true. There's plenty of reason to believe both of them may have been full of shit, but :monster:

@thread, I'll probably see this sooner or later.

Ayen
04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Oh my God. I used to sit in a Sunday school classroom where the teacher did a whole lesson plan about this. Claiming that the author really did believe the mystery he wrote in the book but passed it off as fiction so he could get published.Your Sunday school teacher does realise that the plot is largely based on a published "non-fiction book" that claims the Priory of Sion stuff is all real, right?

Probably not.

The Man
04-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I can't say that I'm particularly surprised that a Sunday school teacher in Kansas didn't bother doing any actual research on the thing (s)he was attacking.

Ayen
04-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I can't say that I'm particularly surprised that a Sunday school teacher in Kansas didn't bother doing any actual research on the thing (s)he was attacking.

This was the same Sunday school teacher who summarized Evolution as throwing crap at the wall to hope it sticks, so no. I don't think research was their strong point.

The Man
04-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Funny that he said that, because that describes Creationism (particularly Young-Earth Creationism) in a nutshell :monster:

Carl the Llama
04-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Just read a few reviews on this and have to say that I am not in the slightest bit surprised to see it slammed, currently a 6.7 rating on IMDb... the top 5 "Best" reviews have the following ratings:

★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Completely unsurprised, still going to watch it though.

Ayen
04-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm calling it now, all the butt hurt angry people complaining that this is the worst movie ever is going to be what makes it successful >.>

Carl the Llama
04-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm calling it now, all the butt hurt angry people complaining that this is the worst movie ever is going to be what makes it successful >.>

You're probably right, it's amusing to read all the hate filled reviews on things like these. One of the reviews even said "the premises are ridiculous" and "Then suddenly when its time to board the Ark, there are millions of creatures. No explanation." but having literally just read the entire Noah arc in the Bible, God gave Noah 7 days to find "7 of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth." What exactly did this guy think would happen? They would give an elaborate plot as to how Noah, Shem, Ham and Japheth could find millions of animals??? Honestly these reviewers must be brainless to expect every plot point written out in detail, especially when the entire Noah and the Ark arc (no pun intended) starts on page 8 of the Bible and finishes on page 10.

TIL people have ridiculous expectations on anything biblical, even when said biblical movie only lasts 2 pages in the bible itself >.<

Ayen
04-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey, I finally have reason to quote Obama, "People aren't reading their bibles."

Carl the Llama
04-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey, I finally have reason to quote Obama, "People aren't reading their bibles."

Should change "People" to "Christians", I'm an Atheist and I just read some of the bible xD

Ayen
04-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Take it up with Obama those were his exact words :p

Carl the Llama
04-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Take it up with Obama those were his exact words :p

(Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass)

Fynn
04-05-2014, 09:48 PM

I seriously hope this will be the case.

This is why we can't have nice things, honestly. A bunch of pinheads just go on the Internet and suddenly my admitting to be a Christian is an act of shame... Oh well, what can you do :monster:

Carl the Llama
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM

I seriously hope this will be the case.

This is why we can't have nice things, honestly. A bunch of pinheads just go on the Internet and suddenly my admitting to be a Christian is an act of shame... Oh well, what can you do :monster:

I don't know if it makes any difference to you, but I would never call it a shame to be proud of your religion, I have a bible because I found it interesting to read, and I respect people enough not to judge them based on any religion (within reason) that they follow... I also happen to have a Quran but I don't follow either religion. I just like to be as well informed as possible when I deal with people in the world.

Fynn
04-05-2014, 10:49 PM
That's good and I agree about learning about other religions being really good and general awesome. What I meant is sometimes it's hard to go online and just say that you're Christian, considering what dumb shit some of the most vocal Christians say...

Ayen
04-05-2014, 10:56 PM
My parents only really took issue with Noah not getting wives for his other two boys and how he was ready to kill and expected the human race to die off. I thought that added an extra layer of much needed conflict to the story and it made sense why Noah would come to that conclusion given, well, everything.

Fynn
04-06-2014, 06:21 AM
I agree. It was different, but it was good. It made his character much more human and realistic.

Jinx
04-06-2014, 12:49 PM
If any of the people who are getting so pissed off took the time to research the movie before they went to it, well...they'd still be pissed, but at least they'd know creative liberties are taken with it. They'd also see that they used older Jewish texts and "non-canon" to help create this movie. This isn't another Passion of the Christ (and even that had a lot of creative liberties).

Mons
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Russell Crowe is great.

Ayen
04-06-2014, 08:46 PM
If any of the people who are getting so pissed off took the time to research the movie before they went to it, well...they'd still be pissed, but at least they'd know creative liberties are taken with it. They'd also see that they used older Jewish texts and "non-canon" to help create this movie. This isn't another Passion of the Christ (and even that had a lot of creative liberties).

One look at the trailer should have been enough indication that this wasn't going to be true to the bible story one would hear in church. It's not like the movie was hiding all the changes from the start.

Shauna
04-09-2014, 11:25 PM
This movie was too long. Some scenes dragged on and on. So many times I thought "This must be wrapping up soon!" to only realise that we still have so much more story to go through.

It was an immensely pretty film, and it was an enjoyable enough watch. Noah going full on crazy was fun progression over the course of the film, it was staggered nicely. I probably would not recommend this movie to anyone though - if you have an inkling to see it, go for it, but it's definitely not something I'd suggest.

Sadly Emma Watson has not learned how to act without waggling her eyebrows with every word. I thought she was going to be okay, but then that final scene... how she talked with her eyebrows.