PDA

View Full Version : The "Newish" Mickey Mouse animated shorts

Wolf Kanno
04-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Didn't see this on the front page of the Lounge so I figure I can get away with making a thread about this. While wandering around YouTube I saw a new one got uploaded and just had to talk about this. So has anyone been watching these? Cause if you haven't you need to cause they are totally super special awesome! :cool:

I am simply amazed that after so many years, someone over at Disney finally recaptured what made Mickey Mouse such an amazing character and why Disney is such a big deal.

These are some of my favorites:

3iatk0hUDoY

LmTor-zQXxw

bElcEMabhoU

Pike
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I find these difficult to watch because of the animation style. Hurts my eyes after a while. Guess I'm too old to keep up with you kids and your fancy Flash animations.

That "Get a Horse" short in front of Frozen was fantastic, though.

Jinx
04-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Huh, I didn't enjoy it at all, Pike. :(

maybee
04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
tbh, it tries too hard to be like Spongebob or something, and not like Mickey.

Kossage
04-04-2014, 03:34 PM
The shorts are indeed nice...even if as a person outside of the US I had to resort to some...other methods of watching them. :P

I do like how they depict Mickey in a more mischievous manner similar to his portrayal in the (in)famous Runaway Brain short which reminds me of the very old shorts were Mickey was hardly a do-gooder (until Donald later inherited many of those traits). The animation style is also quite elastic, reminiscent of the way Ub Iwerks and even Walt himself used to animate Mickey.

These new shorts may not end up becoming as timeless as the black&white Mickey shorts, but they're a commendable effort and a nice way of keeping the Mouse active.

And yes... "Get a Horse" is quite interesting on a technical level (that's what you get when one of Disney's current master animators is on the helm!) and a nice homage to the old shorts while giving the formula a modern spin. And it was so nice to hear Walt's voice one more time as Mickey. :)

Fynn
04-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I only managed to see the yodeling one because YouTube hated Poland.

It was so glorious :love:

Ayen
04-04-2014, 03:52 PM
The art style kind of remind me of the old black and white Mickey Mouse, especially in the third video.

Fynn
04-04-2014, 04:36 PM
And that's the beauty of it!