PDA

View Full Version : Penny Dreadful - Join the demimonde! (spoilers about)

Pages : [1] 2

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-04-2014, 10:27 PM

Set in 1891, some of literature's most terrifying characters including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and iconic figures from the novel Dracula are lurking in the darkest corners of Victorian London. PENNY DREADFUL is a frightening psychological thriller that weaves together these classic horror origin stories into a new adult drama. Starring Josh Hartnett, Eva Green, Timothy Dalton and Billie Piper.

I'm really looking forward to this show! Are any of you going to be watching it with me?

Official Website: Penny Dreadful | TV Series Official Site - Showtime (http://www.sho.com/sho/penny-dreadful/home)

character images: New Penny Dreadful character images | Den of Geek (http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/penny-dreadful/29570/new-penny-dreadful-character-images)

YouTube channel (more graphic trailer as well): Penny Dreadful - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/PennyDreadfulOnSHO)

PjyXOnFxc2c

Vyk
04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
This threw me. "Penny Dreadful" must mean something somewhere, because that was the name used for a B-rated Afterdark horror movie, and it was not the equivalent of League of Extraordinary Gentleman: The Villains. Though it's an interesting concept

Shauna
04-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Penny dreadful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful)

Sounds interesting. I may have a look into it.

Vyk
04-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Penny dreadful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful)

Sounds interesting. I may have a look into it.
Whoa, great find. Makes me question the motives behind naming the horror movie this, then. Makes no sense from that perspective lol But thanks for the research nonetheless

Shauna
04-05-2014, 11:41 AM
It wasn't really research, I knew about them beforehand. xD Linking to wikipedia is just easier than using my own words. But you're welcome. :3

Rantz
04-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Looks kinda cool and kinda cheap. I'll definitely give it a try to see how it measures up to AHS.

Shorty
04-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Set in 1891, some of literature's most terrifying characters including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and iconic figures from the novel Dracula are lurking in the darkest corners of Victorian London.

SOLD!

Freya
04-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Ooo seems pretty nifty.

Shaibana
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
if this is another crime serie, is wear to god, something will get killed or destroyed

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
I think this behind the scenes video gives a pretty good feel for the show and what it's about.

LuiplviRtvk

Shaibana
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM
it looks awesome really :o
i am more then willing to give this show a try.
and im convinced its 1 contineus story

p.s seeing the trailer makes me a little scared that it has as much sex-scenes as Spartacus :l

Freya
04-08-2014, 05:26 AM
The song is from Mass Effect in that hahahahaha omg. It was from mass effect. I'm such a soundtrack nerd. Just take out the reaper noises.

OMG I MUST LOVE THIS SHOW. IT'S IN THE MUSIC. Start at 1:00 of that trailer behind the scenes you posted then listen to this

KGHA9oO1Ybg

Seriously, listen to it. My obsession with soundtracks paid off.

Dark_Valentine
04-12-2014, 03:10 AM
I've been waiting for it to come out! The fact that it's being directed by the guy who did The Orphanage is awesome :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Penny Dreadful Series Premiere (http://www.sho.com/sho/video/titles/29713/penny-dreadful-series-premiere)

Showtime is airing the premiere online before it airs May 11th. Watch it now!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
oh wow.

I watched the first episode in the link you posted. It was fantastic. This is definitely going to be an amazing show.

Shaibana
05-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Fu America :l

'' this video can not be viewed from your location''

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-11-2014, 05:59 PM
The creators of the show, as far as I understand it, feel like these characters have been devalued over the years because of how they're used in modern culture. The idea of the show is to bring that original fear and intrigue back that the characters were created for back when penny dreadfuls were released in the 19th century as opposed to the cheap, sensationalized fiction they are today.

The pilot was fantastic. It officially airs tonight on Showtime. I'll be watching again, this time in HD :smug:

Shaibana
05-11-2014, 09:52 PM
aah good, that you remind me of it by posting in this thread :P
im going to watch it tomorrow early :D after GOT :3

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 07:30 AM
If you're a Showtime subscriber, you can already watch the second episode at

http://www.showtimeanytime.com/

Just type in your cable provider info and you're good to go.

I wonder if this will be a continuing trend throughout the season?

Shaibana
05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
once again... FFFUUU america :l

''sorry! showtime anytime is unfortunatly not available from your location''

so even if i had it i couldnt watch it

p.s i see there are 3 episodes already? :o

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Where do you see that?

I only see two.

Shaibana
05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
i dont know, some kind of watch site..
but anyway, i tried downloading the 1st ep, but apearently there was a virus with it :l so i threw it away..
anyone have a good site where i can watch it?
a site availeble to all countries!?

i cant find anything

Freya
05-13-2014, 03:24 AM
Shibana, are you using chrome? If so download the extension hola! (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en) You can now watch any and all videos online regardless of country.

Youtube videos, hulu videos, videos on showtimes site. etc

Shaibana
05-13-2014, 11:47 AM
i do use chromes yes, but ill keep that in mind for another time :P

im 15 minutes into the first episode and i am totally hooked already

thanks for the recomendation!! I find it hard to find a good credible show these days ^^

episode spoiler: NOOOOOOO proteus!! i liked him :(

Shorty
05-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Episode One: Just like Shaibana, I wrote on my facebook that in the first fifteen minutes I was hooked. My god, I had no idea just how smurfing much I would grow to love this series in the less-than-an-hour timeframe of the first episode. Seriously. This show appeals to every single one of my darker interests - dark, dirty, filthy 1800's London, bats and bugs in the opening, spooky monsters, vampires that aren't totally and completely abhorrent, bones, bone-cleaning and flesh-eating beetles, crime scenes, and smurfing Egyptian hieroglyphics and mythology, insinuated Dracula and smurfing Frankenstein.

One of the things I love and I consider to be good storytelling is when a character is just thrown into a matter of circumstances by chance, and then the story opens up from there. Josh Harnett is not my favorite actor, but he's certainly not the worst. He works as a stranger in a strange land experiencing even stranger things, and we get to learn through his encounters with the peculiar situations, namely aiding an unusual gentleman and his partner in getting back his daughter. I just love circumstancial situations like the opening for this story and again, I think it makes for great storytelling.

I really, very much like Vanessa Ives. She strikes me as a female Sherlock, which is most likely what they were going for. She is Sherlock + Miss Adler without the dripping sexiness; she has an air of refinement about herself as if she is above such things. Ah, but! Ethan pulled The Lovers card, which is, I think in itself, telling. They are obviously attempting at making her seem very uninterested in attraction, and I really hope the usual crap in tv shows will not happen with them. Just once I would like to have a show where the guy and girl do not get together.

I also very much like Sir Malcolm! He is very curious and very mysterious indeed. During the entire episode I'd been trying to place his face. It's driving me crazy!

And that speech from cadaver boy about life and death! hoo boy, that was an awesome speech.

"Plant your flag on the truth? There is only one worthy goal for scientific exploration. Piercing the tissue that separates life from death. Everything else from the deep bottom of the sea to the top of the highest mountain on the farthest planet is insignificant. Life and death. The flicker that separates one from the other, fast as a bat's wing, more beautiful than any sonnet. That is my river. There I will plant my flag."

MALCOLM'S DAUGHTER'S NAME IS MINA OH MY GOD that is so smurfing genius aaaah I love how this is unfolding.

That smurfing doctor, HOLY trout, HE'S JUST CREATED FRANKENSTEIN aaaaaaaaah oh my god in heaven, how smurfing creepy was that. This show is amazing. Simply amazing. Now his speech makes so much more sense.

And male nudity! I swear to god I thought this show was on FX or something like that! Goodness I was wrong.

I can't watch the second episode tonight but I am aching to ;_____________; This has a very League of Extraordinary Gentlemen feel to it to me. I am loving it.

Shaibana
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
MALCOLM'S DAUGHTER'S NAME IS MINA OH MY GOD that is so smurfing genius aaaah I love how this is unfolding.

please do tell me :o why is the name Mina so special?
at the current situation i can only guess that Mina is one of Dracula's brides in the 'origional' story?

The Man
05-19-2014, 11:06 AM

please do tell me :o why is the name Mina so special?
at the current situation i can only guess that Mina is one of Dracula's brides in the 'origional' story?

Mina Harker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_Harker)

I'll probably watch this soon.

Shaibana
05-19-2014, 05:29 PM
ow god stop torturing me..
on fb i saw a 'countdown' last night.. why isnt it on the internet yet!!??
its been 11 hours since they posted 'starts now'

:l give me the 3rd episode!

Shorty
05-20-2014, 04:39 AM
THIS smurfING SHOW OH MY GOD

God, it just keeps getting better and better! Another strong episode!

I love the chemistry between Mr. Malcolm and Miss Ives.

An introduction to Mr. Dorian Grey! That was interesting. I'll admit that I first had an air of skepticism as a pretty boy. I very much like that the episode was not centered around him and that we didn't even get to see much of him save for a couple of scenes. When he met Miss Ives and started speaking to her, I found myself liking him.

That. smurfing. séance. Oh my god in heaven. The acting from Vanessa Ives in that scene is second best to Heath Ledger as The Joker. It was absolutely brilliant. She became another person, other people entirely. Her facial expressions, her mannerisms. It was all perfect. It looked completely reliant upon pure acting without relying upon weird effects like they so often do for séances (and did a little toward the end). Her bony, slim face and bug eyes and how she just kept talking and talking and talking and creeped you out just by talking. It was wonderful.

I've been wondering why Vanessa is so adamant about praying like a madwoman all the time. She seems so intellectual, so sensible, so practical, so much so what I would have mistaken her for not believing in god. From that conversation of Mr. Malcolm and Mr. Fancypants about Amunet, I am coming to believe that she knows what she is and that she attempts at devoutly praying to keep the devil away? Is that it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROTEUS WHAT THE smurf HAPPENED THERE He was so wonderful! His reaction to the doctor leaving the apartment left me heartbroken. When they went outside for the first time, I was completely in love with how curious he was and how he just wanted to learn and observe everything. His touching everything, his mimicks, his wanting to say every word. I think it so accurately portrayed childlike wonder and curiosity that I know I feel as an adult. I can't even think of a word to describe it. It was just lovely.

BUT WHAT THE smurf WAS smurfING GRIMA WORMTONGUE DOING RISING LIKE A PHOENIX OUT OF THE ASHES OF PROTEUS I ALMOST CRIED ;____________________________________________________;

This show speaks to me, guys. I fucking love it.

Shaibana
05-20-2014, 12:12 PM
im glad there is another person so hyped about this show :D
i cried too when proteus died, he was so cute like a little puppy! :3

i want that 3rd episode dammit!!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Everything about this show and everyone involved in it is perfect at what they do. This show is a masterpiece.

I love this show. Seriously, if any of you reading this haven't started watching it yet, give it a go. You'll love it! I promise, as long as some of the subject matter appeals to you from the start, you'll love it.

One of the things I love about the website is how engrossed it is in the subject matter. All of the fitting pictures, quotes, you can even hear cast members read poetry.

http://www.penny-dreadful.com/

Shaibana
05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
aah now i know why there wasnt a 3rd episode.
the 2nd episode was supposed to air last sunday, but ofcourse it was already ´leaked out´ becaus members could watch it on the site

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
The Showtime shop is pretty cool, you can buy hardcover re-releases of books from Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and Oscar Wilde.

I'm really tempted to buy.

http://store.sho.com/penny-dreadful-pg2/index.php?g=2&v=showtime_shows_penny

Freya
05-22-2014, 03:42 AM
Just watched the first episode. Very intriguing! I like how the monsters (vamps) are actually monsters

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-22-2014, 10:56 PM
When Brona coughed blood all over Dorian's face and he still made out with her anyway.

This show. I'm telling you.

Shorty
05-22-2014, 10:59 PM
That was fucking nasty. What was even nastier was how excited it made him.

Shaibana
05-23-2014, 11:54 AM
dammit, i wanted a Vannesa Ives sig/avatar :P

Freya
05-23-2014, 05:23 PM
I need to watch episode twoooooo. I have fallen in love with it by episode one. Hooked my HDMI cord to my laptop so it was like I paid for actual showtime on my TV. Haha. Cable.

Shorty
05-23-2014, 05:31 PM
dammit, i wanted a Vannesa Ives sig/avatar :P

You can if you want, just don't use the same images I have :p

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Everyone on the planet needs a Penny Dreadful set honestly.

Tasura
05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Everyone on the planet needs a Penny Dreadful set honestly.

I was going to go Frankenstein, you got there first, so I shall settle with sir Malcom.

Also, this show is quite awesome. I can't wait for the next ep. I WANT IT NOW T_T.

Shorty
05-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Yaaaaaaay, more more more!

Tasura
05-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Yaaaaaaay, more more more!

I was going to go with Proteus, the feels would have been too much.

Shorty
05-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Yes, too soon :(

Shaibana
05-23-2014, 10:32 PM
meeeh, im not a fan of ´double characters´ here on the forum, but im gonna do it anyway :D

edit: meeh, cant really find an interesting picture to use as a sig.
too bad the show does not have any other interesting female characters (yet)

im gonna claim Mina, if she gets interesting

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Whaaat Brona is great. I'd like to see someone take that set.

Otherwise we'll be calling you Shaibanorty

Shaibana
05-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Whaaat Brona is great. I'd like to see someone take that set.

Otherwise we'll be calling you Shaibanorty

meeh, i dont like Brona

Shorty
05-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I am also not a fan of Brona. It sounds like she has a forced, fake accent, and her name is too close to "brony". :stare:

Shauna
05-24-2014, 06:02 PM
I actually lol'd at Piper's accent.

Shorty
05-24-2014, 06:02 PM
I fucking bet you did xD

Freya
05-24-2014, 10:22 PM
I haven't met her yet as I still need to watch episode 2. And since you all took everyone besides josh hartnett that I've seen, I went with Iggy azalea instead.

Shorty
05-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Who's Iggy Azalea?

Freya
05-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Rapper. Not related to penny dreadful. I thought about doing some screaming vamp but nahhh

Shorty
05-24-2014, 10:28 PM
You know, your sig looks like blonde Scarlett Johansson, but your av is a blonde asian lady xD It's throwing me off!

Kalevala
05-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Oh hi guys here is some sadness for you all.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the demimonde, Kalevala.

I like Frankenstein's monster in the sad flashbacks where everyone hates him for the wrong reasons, not so much in current day where people are going to hate him for the right reasons.

Mina was engaged to Jonathan Harker? That's it, full on Dracula reference is correct.

Jess
05-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I really want to watch this. I need to catch up!

Shaibana
05-26-2014, 12:10 PM

I like Frankenstein's monster in the sad flashbacks where everyone hates him for the wrong reasons, not so much in current day where people are going to hate him for the right reasons.

Mina was engaged to Jonathan Harker? That's it, full on Dracula reference is correct.

i did not enjoy this episode that much as the previous ones and honestly i dont like F's monster at all. the flashback was wasted on me.
i have no idea about the whole Dracula reference :( now i really feel like im missing out on alot

meeeeeh, more people keep getting Penny dreadfull sig/avatars...
smurf it, im changing to Vanessa Ives to :l

ive never cared much for Eva green and i never found her a particular good actress, but here in penny dreadful i could turn into a lesbian for her

Kalevala
05-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Thanks!

I thought this was the best episode yet. I loved the stuff between Frankenstein and Caliban. Some redditors have complained about their dialogue, but I thought it was beautiful and believable considering Caliban's upbringing. Frankenstein is one of my favourite books, and this has to be the best usage of the characters I've seen outside of the source material.

Shorty
05-26-2014, 10:32 PM
With Caliban flash-backing, I swear that was some reference to a Phantom of the Opera-type alternate reality. Someone taking pity upon a poor soul with a disfigured face and offering him room at the theater? Sounds fitting enough for me.

I would just like some smurfing explanation as to how the smurf he spontaneously shed Proteus' form to emerge :| How the smurf did that happen? It makes no sense.

I would love to see the bride of Frankenstein's monster appear.

What was with the zoo scene? I don't really get it. To stumble upon the minion? And then for them to bring him back to the house so the master could conveniently locate Vanessa? And what now, werewolves? No explanation whatsoever was provided for Josh Hartnett and those wolves.

A pretty good episode. I liked Caliban's story unfolding.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-27-2014, 03:49 AM
I would just like some smurfing explanation as to how the smurf he spontaneously shed Proteus' form to emerge :| How the smurf did that happen? It makes no sense.What I took from that scene was that he unsuspectingly snuck up behind Proteus and punched a hole right through his back, proceeding to split him open. It's possible he snuck in when they were out.
What was with the zoo scene? I don't really get it. To stumble upon the minion? And then for them to bring him back to the house so the master could conveniently locate Vanessa? And what now, werewolves? No explanation whatsoever was provided for Josh Hartnett and those wolves.It'll be explained in future episodes, i'm sure. At least the Josh Hartnett part. Everyone in the show has a deep secret about them, so maybe his is related to werewolves or something like that.

Kalevala
05-27-2014, 04:45 AM
I would just like some smurfing explanation as to how the smurf he spontaneously shed Proteus' form to emerge :| How the smurf did that happen? It makes no sense.What I took from that scene was that he unsuspectingly snuck up behind Proteus and punched a hole right through his back, proceeding to split him open. It's possible he snuck in when they were out.

He snuck in. When Frankenstein and Proteus return a door to what must be another passage or hallway is open. Frankenstein even stops to close it without thinking (idiot!).

Shorty
05-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Oh, I didn't even notice the door being open! Excellent observation. I seriously thought he literally appeared in his body and ripped him apart, I was so confused xD

Kalevala
05-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Yeah, for a split second I thought the hand was coming from inside of him as well.

I don't like that Caliban's back-story left out his gym routine, because HE PUNCHED A HOLE THROUGH ANOTHER MAN'S CHEST. I must know how much he lifts.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Is it just me or does Caliban look like a vampire?

Shorty
05-27-2014, 05:22 AM
He looks like fucking Grima Wormtongue from LotR.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-27-2014, 05:30 AM
It can't be unseen :eek:

Shorty
05-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Guys, I feel like this show is bringing us all together.

Night Fury
05-27-2014, 06:24 AM
This has Timothy Dalton?

Sold.

Shorty
05-27-2014, 06:25 AM
GET ON IT DAUGHTER

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-27-2014, 06:29 AM
I agree. It makes me happy. I've really tried plugging this show since before day 1 and I'm glad that this thread didn't die after I made it. Honestly, I feared it might :shobon: But then the greatness of episodes spoke for themselves and here we are.

Now, if only we could convince more people to watch!

Night Fury
05-27-2014, 06:30 AM
I shall download it for Phil and I to watch later :)

I remember us not really enjoying AHS so much, but this looks very different and very up my street...

Shaibana
05-27-2014, 11:00 AM
i am happy too that i have a place here to talk about the show :D
there didnt seem much interest for the show at first, but its seems to be turning out fine :D
Im pushing my bf to watch it too, he wants too but still hasnt :l
he also has to catch up on 1 or 2 GOT episodes

Tasura
05-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Did no one else catch that Caliban mentioned Shelley(Around 8:30 into the episode, where he's flashing back to his creation)? He is literally mentioning the source material of where he came from. That'd be like one of the vampires mentioning Bram Stoker.

Shorty
05-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Yes, I noticed it! Aaaaah I wonder if anything will come from it.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I noticed that as well! I wondered if it was just a cameo sort of mention, like a tip of the hat, or if something will become of it.

Night Fury
05-28-2014, 03:16 AM
I'm sorry guys but I didn't like this :(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-28-2014, 04:31 AM
Whaaat no :(

Watch episode 2, and if you still don't like it, we'll let you free hahaha

Night Fury
05-28-2014, 04:50 AM
I did! I don't know, I just found it all a bit too much going on for my liking! :(

BlueD
05-28-2014, 05:42 AM
I watched episodes 1 and 2 this morning and 3 now!! im hooked!

Shorty
05-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Whoooo, another!

Ah, that's alright if you weren't fond of it, Locky. :heart:

Shaibana
05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Whoooo, another!

Ah, that's alright if you weren't fond of it, Locky. :heart:

no its not fine, you will watch this show and LOVE it! D:

xD

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-28-2014, 11:05 PM
According to the Penny Dreadful Facebook page, Van Helsing is going to show up on the next episode.

Shorty
05-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Well of course. Who else are they going to use to kill the vampires?

Shaibana
05-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Well of course. Who else are they going to use to kill the vampires?
wow they sure let no grass grow over any characters

Loony BoB
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm not really watching this show, but Danielle is. It seems a bit too serious for my liking in a general sense - I prefer the near-constant humour found in True Blood to some degree, although I'm not much of a fan of True Blood either. I guess I just really don't like constant yelling, screaming, brooding and unsmiling faces. But again, I'm not really watching much, just listening for the most part. I can see why others would like it, though, and maybe when I'm not so busy I can properly watch it and get a better judgement.

But really, I knew bugger all about the show including the cast before I saw what little I paid attention to and... am I the only person who thinks Dalton looks like Daniel Day Lewis? For some reason I totally thought that was him in the first episode and it was the most shocking thing in the world to me about this show. And then I found out it wasn't Daniel Day Lewis and was kind of sad. :(

Shaibana
05-29-2014, 12:48 PM
I the only person who thinks Dalton looks like Daniel Day Lewis? For some reason I totally thought that was him

no you are not., i already read it was Timothy Dalton but everytime i thought of what movies he would be in i ended up with a Daniel Day Lewis movie

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-02-2014, 05:34 AM
Very interesting episode tonight.

I have a funny feeling that Brona is going to end up being the bride of Frankenstein's monster. But I could be wrong.

Ethan has a weird thing about dogs and he doesn't want his blood drawn. There's something pretty sketchy there.

HOW IS HE MAKING OUT WITH DORIAN GRAY. Was it something in his drink? Does he go both ways?

Shaibana
06-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Very interesting episode tonight.

I have a funny feeling that Brona is going to end up being the bride of Frankenstein's monster. But I could be wrong.

Ethan has a weird thing about dogs and he doesn't want his blood drawn. There's something pretty sketchy there.

HOW IS HE MAKING OUT WITH DORIAN GRAY. Was it something in his drink? Does he go both ways?

when he started kissing Dorian i facepalmed.. what the hell? xD

so im guessing Dorian has the painting of himself in that hidden room.
but isnt he suppose to die if he sees his own painting?
that painting is collecting his aging and when he faces it he gets all those years back, i thought?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-04-2014, 03:24 AM
If i'm remembering correctly, he can see the painting. It just can't be damaged. So as long as the painting is in good condition, he will be as well.

I'm thinking maybe there's something in one of his cologne bottles that made Ethan make out with him. Maybe that's why Ethan started choking him, he knew what he was planning but by that time it was too late and he went in for the kiss.

Shaibana
06-04-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking maybe there's something in one of his cologne bottles that made Ethan make out with him. Maybe that's why Ethan started choking him, he knew what he was planning but by that time it was too late and he went in for the kiss.

that would make sense. maybe also the reason Vanessa is interested in him

edit: Good news!!
Penny dreadfull renewed for a 2nd season
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10338698_323469434471127_1739106575084952452_n.jpg

Jinx
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
AWWWWWWWWW SHIT

I DIDN'T KNOW BILLIE WAS IN THIS SHOW

*watches immediately*

Shaibana
06-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Billie?

Jinx
06-04-2014, 08:45 PM
goddamn, if there's one thing showtime does well, it's their beautiful openings.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Billie?

Billie Piper who plays Brona Croft ;)

Shaibana
06-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Billie?

Billie Piper who plays Brona Croft ;)

meeeh, i dont like Brona at all

Jinx
06-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm about halfway through the first episode and I love that it's actually scary and not just dark.

Jinx
06-05-2014, 04:59 PM
JUST FINISHED EPISODE TWO AND THOSE MOTHERSMURFERS KILLED PROTEUS WHY HE WAS INNOCENT AND HAD THE GENTLE SPIRIT OF A CHILD I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THIS SHOW ANYMORE

Shorty
06-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Proteus is 100% and sincerely the worst travesty death any tv show has ever offered in the history of broadcasting. Worse than any Game of Thrones death.

I still need to catch up on this week's episode ;-;

Jinx
06-05-2014, 05:11 PM
I WOULD BE MORE PISSED IF PROFESSOR SNAPE'S STORY WASN'T MAKING ME SO SAD

THIS IS ALL CLEARLY VIKTOR'S FAULT

Shaibana
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
calm yo tits, Jinx xD

Shorty
06-05-2014, 05:17 PM
It's okay, we all experienced what she's going through. :(

Jinx
06-05-2014, 05:21 PM
The more I see of his story, I feel pity for Professor Snape.

Shorty
06-05-2014, 05:22 PM
He's Grima Wormtongue, we've established. :colbert: but yeah his story was sad business

Jinx
06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Aaaaah, yeah! Wormtongue, for sure!

Jinx
06-05-2014, 06:20 PM
So I just told my theory to LWL (and apparently he had the same thought) that Viktor's going to turn Brona into the Creature's bride.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the demimonde, Jinx. You're in good company.

Shorty
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
For now.

Jinx
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM
*does an Irish jig because that's totally what Irish people do*

EDIT: As I said on Facebook, this show is everything I wanted AHS to be.

Shaibana
06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
So I just told my theory to LWL (and apparently he had the same thought) that Viktor's going to turn Brona into the Creature's bride.

it would make sense, since Brona is already dieing from that long disease..
the perfect candidate to make immortal

Jinx
06-05-2014, 09:18 PM
It's no coincidence that the theatre they visited was the Creature's theatre. Also, I'm 99% sure Brona died in the streets when she started coughing.

Kalevala
06-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Proteus is 100% and sincerely the worst travesty death any tv show has ever offered in the history of broadcasting. Worse than any Game of Thrones death.

I still need to catch up on this week's episode ;-;

I was floored. He had already secured a spot as my favourite character on the show.

I haven't watched the most recent episode either, we suck :(

Jinx
06-06-2014, 01:52 AM
I loved Proteus! D:

I do love the Creature, though. I know he killed Proteus, but I feel like Viktor is the one to blame for that. The Creature is my current favorite character.

And I know everyone here hates Brona, but I think she has potential. And I really identify with her personally.

06-08-2014, 02:45 AM
I just started the second episode.

This episode has be aroused.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-08-2014, 03:10 AM
Episode 5 tomorrow!

Full speed ahead, Pant Leg Eater.

06-08-2014, 03:15 AM
I'm doing my best to catch up!

EDIT: holy smurfing trout that man was split in half

EDIT 2: omg that kiss.

Shaibana
06-08-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm doing my best to catch up!

EDIT: holy smurfing trout that man was split in half

EDIT 2: omg that kiss.

great, u caught up!

06-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Yep. All caught up and ready for tonight.

It is funny, that last scene in the last episode, I was drunkenly yelling at my tv for them to kiss. And then they did. :cool:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Very interesting flashback episode. I was wondering more about the origins of Vanessa and Malcolm and it was explained quite nicely.

How did Vanessa have a full head of hair at her mothers funeral when she was practically bald when she died? Must have been something to do with that demon possession.

HAH JINX I TOLD YOU THERE WAS NO ROMANTIC INTEREST THERE!

Shaibana
06-09-2014, 07:25 PM
i loved this episode, very interesting to see how Vanessa turned out like that..
cant wait till next week :3

chionos
06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Watched the first four episodes yesterday. Haven't seen episode 5 yet. So far, I'm loving the show. Loving it.

The kiss at the end of ep. 4 had me a little confused. I mean, I can see it coming from Dorian. But it seemed contrived for Chandler. Perhaps if it had been initiated by Dorian instead of Ethan? I don't know. Perhaps we will get to know a bit more about Ethan's character to understand that moment better, but it certainly came out of nowhere in the show and to me came across as being there for one of two reasons (or both): 1. to shock; 2. fan service.

Does Reeve Carney not seem just a weeee bit boyish to play Dorian Gray? I mean, I get it, eternal unchanging beauty and all that, but he just seems like a kid. There's no age to his soul, to his pain. I dunno, I'm probably out there with this one.

When are we going to get Werewolves I want Werewolves there's one in the bloody opening credits so when do we get to see one dammit and those wolves in ep. 3 (or 4?) didn't count though they were FUCKING COOL AS HELL all the same.

I've never really been a fan of Timothy Dalton, but I love him in this show. Basically the same, but to a lesser extent, Josh Hartnett. Not a good actor, but good in this show, and in this part as Chandler.

Best séance scene ever. Man, that was a bloody fucking awesome and disturbing scene. Loved it. Eva Green is brilliant. I never realized, but damn that woman can fucking ACT.

My ||Proteus, poor Proteus. And the worst part of it is that I can't get myself to hate the Creature for it. I like him too. He's like Frankenstein's monster, the phantom of the opera, and the hunchback of notre dame all rolled into one character. I love it. >_< And I hate that I love it because he killed my beloved Proteus. >_< Bastard.|| died.

I wish...there weren't so many spiders. So many fucking spiders...oh man, chills, I can feel them all over me. Argh!

Brilliant show, truly brilliant.

Jinx
06-10-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm watching this now and I'm cracking up because "Mrs. Charles Rantzien" obviously it's Rantzien, right? Like, Rantz. xD

Jinx
06-10-2014, 02:36 AM
HAH JINX I TOLD YOU THERE WAS NO ROMANTIC INTEREST THERE!

HEY THEY KIND OF FUCKED IN A WAY AND SHE TOTALLY WANTS THE LORD TIMOTHY D

Just finished this episode. Up until this episode I didn't care for Vanessa at all, and now I am just mesmerized and want more of her story. I love stories about demonic possession. I'm a little foggy on what exactly she did that caused her to be possessed. Her demon tells her that she's always had the door open, but I never really got 'evil' from her.

The scene with adult Vanessa and Mina on the beach was just gorgeous. I adored the imagery of Vanessa in head-to-toe black with a wrap around her head, and Mina dressed in a virginal cream with her blonde hair flowing freely. Just beautiful, truly.

06-10-2014, 02:49 AM
All I have to say is 'hot damn I want more'.

Everything else meaningful has been said already.

Shauna
06-13-2014, 01:32 PM
This is a wonderful show.

I love the soundtrack for it too. ;_;

Jinx
06-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Sunday's episode was a bit slow, but was to be expected after last week's show with the huge info dump. The final scene though, man. It was kind of scary and fucked up, but the effects were kind of poor, so it was laughable. xD I've loved damn near everything this show has done so far, but that was kind of a cheese moment for me.

I was sorry to see the Creature murder Van Helsing, but also sad for him when he found out his lady love has a man. He's SO COMPLEX. I feel bad for loving him, but also would feel bad if I hated him.

Also, Ethan werewolf confirmation siting: I'm assuming he was reluctant to take Brona's medallion because it's silver. Woooop.

As always, I can't wait for next week! I know this episode was laying some groundwork for the final two episodes and SO EXCITED.

Shaibana
06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
putting Van helsing in the show..
aaaaaaaaand he's gone
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/855/And_It's_Gone.png

and call the bloody excorsist!!

i cant understand Bronna :l
becaus of her accent it becomes jibberish in my ears

omg, just 2 more episodes? :'(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-18-2014, 05:20 AM
This episode had some pretty intense scenes.

I was on the edge of my seat when they were surrounded by vampires.

Poor Frankenstein can't catch a break.

Shaibana
06-18-2014, 11:24 AM

white hair, long nails, high pitch screams... i was convinced they were banshee's

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-19-2014, 04:06 AM

white hair, long nails, high pitch screams... i was convinced they were banshee's

Good point.

The reason they went there was to look for Mina and the vampire. I thought they were all part of the same group. I wonder if it's been addressed yet?

Shaibana
06-23-2014, 07:08 PM
what the hell people..
an episode like this happens and there is no respons at all?
are you all that stunned by it or....?

this makes me very very very curious about Mr.Chandler.
what is his story! i want to know!

Jinx
06-23-2014, 10:40 PM
There are a lot of things that can be said about this episode, but it's best summed up in one word: WOW.

This show is legitimately scary! When she attacked the priest and bit his cheek off I was screaming. HOLY. FUCK.

And yeah, Shai. I am really, really curious what's going on with Ethan. I mean, most of us already thought he was a werewolf, but now...why does he know fucking Latin and how to exorcise demons?!

I don't think that the demon has left Vanessa, though. I still think it's there, but whatever he did helped for the time being.

Also, fuck you Lord Timothy Dalton. FUCK. YOU.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-24-2014, 04:41 PM
I think that was Brona's necklace that Ethan held to her forehead. Very interesting.

I loved the scene where Ethan was showing Victor how to use a gun. A lighthearted, brotherly scene in an otherwise intense show.

It must have been very tiring to film this episode for Vanessa, she was always flinching or in pain or screaming to some capacity. This show is excellently done. It conveys emotion very well. Very believably.

A prediction for the future of the show, I could be way off:

I think Ethan is going to find out about Victor's idea to make Brona immortal. And he'll be okay with it. He knows she's dying and would like her to live as well. This could make for some very intense scenes between Ethan and the creature in season two.

Jinx
06-24-2014, 05:07 PM
I think that was Brona's necklace that Ethan held to her forehead. Very interesting.

It was. If you remember, whichever saint it was was the patron of lost causes.

Shaibana
06-24-2014, 06:15 PM

i googled it, its Saint Jude

Jinx
06-24-2014, 06:27 PM

i googled it, its Saint Jude

:up:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing more of this guy:

Jinx
06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
AAAAAAAAAAH

BRONA BRIDE CONFIRMED

ETHAN WEREWOLF CONFIRMED

I so can't wait for next season.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
*looks at Vanessa*

*looks at Evil Mina*

"I already have a daughter"

So many emotions from this episode! I hope next season has more than 8 episodes so I can enjoy it that much longer :excited:

Jinx
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I really have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Mina.

Shaibana
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
as much as i adore this show.. it is a bit predictable..
the minute Bronna got sick ''thats the new bride!''
the minute Ethane went Cesar Milan on those wolves: ''thats a werewolf''

if this is the end of Mina i would be really disapointed. the character still has some mysteries

i freaking loved it :D

now we have to wait soooo loooonnggg..
all my shows are on a stop now :l i feel empty

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-31-2014, 09:27 AM
*demimonde intensifies*

Wfhik-kUBGQ

Jinx
12-31-2014, 01:31 PM
:omgomg:

I can't waaaait!

We're definitely doing sigs again for the premier, right? (I call Brona again!)

Shaibana
12-31-2014, 03:00 PM
:omgomg:

I can't waaaait!

We're definitely doing sigs again for the premier, right? (I call Brona again!)

ofcourse!!! and im sticking with Vanessa again!!

Jinx
12-31-2014, 03:04 PM
LWL, WHO YOU GONNA BE THIS YEAR?!?!?!?

Shaibana
12-31-2014, 03:06 PM
wut?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-31-2014, 07:12 PM
LWL, WHO YOU GONNA BE THIS YEAR?!?!?!?

Frankenstein :mwahaha:

I knew he would be my annual choice. Seems none of us are changing so far! #nolookingback #2legit2quit

01-01-2015, 05:55 AM
I need to actually finish the first season.

Shaibana
01-01-2015, 06:31 PM
the problem is that the cast is p small...
like in Game of Thrones pretty much everyone has a different character, while here you have 2 on 1 character if everyone plays along

Jinx
01-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Well, who knows what the next season will bring?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-02-2015, 12:04 AM
I believe this season will have ten episodes instead of eight like last season :aimsun:

Also, here's a thing on new cast members:

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/penny_dreadful_season_2_patti_lupone_sarah_greene-2014-09

Jinx
01-02-2015, 12:05 AM
PATTI LUPONE :heart: :heart: :heart:

Also gonna go out on a limb here and guess Hecate is some kind of witch.

Shaibana
01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
PATTI LUPONE :heart: :heart: :heart:

Also gonna go out on a limb here and guess Hecate is some kind of witch.

her name sure sounds like it

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-13-2015, 12:12 AM
New trailer.

Who's the gent at 1:19, I wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdeSNcAWos

chionos
01-13-2015, 04:15 AM
Someone that Ethan attacked perhaps (can see two claw marks above the mask thing)? Or maybe some version of jekyll/hyde character? Although, I watched it again thinking it was a full on half-mask, but it's a tatty leather thing probably just to cover scarring.

It looks so good. Can't wait.

Shaibana
01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
New trailer.

Who's the gent at 1:19, I wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdeSNcAWos

darn,you beat me into posting this :P
very interesting trailer! cant wait!

Jinx
04-26-2015, 11:01 PM
ONE WEEK

Shaibana
04-27-2015, 05:30 PM
ONE WEEK

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-27-2015, 09:46 PM
ONE WEEK

Jinx
04-27-2015, 10:23 PM
I plan on rolling over my GoT set to a Penny Dreadful set on May 1. :3

Shaibana
04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1908201_477970849020984_308146783481665102_n.jpg?oh=6e6169d45d3ebea691077a3082c2c67b&oe=55DB8E31

Shaibana
05-02-2015, 08:19 PM
HYPE HYPE HYPE
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11143726_478370025647733_1332306803181407988_n.jpg?oh=f35c66dca05a6ffa2ad061bbbccfeb45&oe=55DFDC86

Jinx
05-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Guys, the first episode was leaked! :D

Shaibana
05-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Guys, the first episode was leaked! :D

cool, ill get to that tomorrow :3

edit: woop woop! its on Popcorntime

BlackFire
05-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Great show!!! I loved the first season and the story and characters were great. Looking forward to watching season two.

Shauna
05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Well, I am excited for the season.

Jinx
05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Vanessa, isn't afraid of the Devil, is afraid of the Devil's handmaidens.

I'm not 100% sure I understand.

Shauna
05-04-2015, 01:51 PM
They are pretty creepy, let's be fair about this. x}

Shaibana
05-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Indeed.

great season opener imo.
Ethan is definitly becomming (or already is) my favourite character. i love how compasionate he is with Vanessa, understanding how it is to have a demon inside.
and now that the devils handmaids know his secret i am very curious how this will develope.

Looking forward to the next episode

Jinx
05-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I love Ethan. He's easily my favorite character, then maybe Vanessa after him. To be honest, I don't DISlike any of the characters. They're all great for different reasons.

Shaibana
05-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I love Ethan. He's easily my favorite character, then maybe Vanessa after him. To be honest, I don't DISlike any of the characters. They're all great for different reasons.

i dislike Brona and the frankenstein monster, tho i am starting to like the monster :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-04-2015, 05:57 PM
There's an interesting twist developing that I didn't really consider before, which is the fact that Frankenstein is making his first female creation and it's very possible he could develop feelings for her.

That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing for the creature, since it seems like he's going to be spending quite a bit of time with the blind girl at his new job.

Some of this season's promo artwork is killer. Excellent expression:

Jinx
05-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Ooh, that's very possible. What with the boobie touching and whatnot. And yeah, I also thought blind girl is meant to be a love interest.

Still not sure how poor Ethan is going to take all of this.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I can't quite remember, do the creations have vague memories of their past lives? It would be interesting if she didn't remember anyone.

I was glad to see that turning into a werewolf was a blackout thing instead of an on demand thing.

Jinx
05-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Proteus had some memories of his past life, but the Creature doesn't seem to have any.

Jinx
05-11-2015, 03:15 PM
GOODBYE BRONA AND THE TERRIBLE ACCENT, HELLO LILY AND A MUCH BETTER ACCENT

also holy shit those dolls
no no no

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
lily x frankenstein otp

If she gets her memory back she's gonna feel so betrayed by both of them.

I think it would be funny if the witches tried to do some voodoo on the guy with the fancy beard but it didn't end up working because the hair they snip from him is actually fake after all.

Jinx
05-11-2015, 07:30 PM
I dunno, I find the relationship between Lily and Victor very icky. Especially the whole cousin lie.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Should be a walk in the park after some Game of Thrones relationships, right? haha

Shaibana
05-12-2015, 06:04 PM
teeehehe indeed Leonhart

i loved this episode!!
i just reeeaallllyyy wanna see more Ethan Chandler. im really curious how and when his little secret will come to light:love:

i already disliked Bronna but i might actually like Lily
i do think the whole developement of Lily goes way too fast and too easy tho.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Given Dorian's tastes for the peculiar, I imagine he'll only want Brona a thousand times more after he finds out what she is.

Jinx
05-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Definitely. Especially since he's so bored with everything. Something like that would be totally rare.

Shaibana
05-18-2015, 04:57 PM
i usually really hate these sudden let-me-tell-you-a-story-of-the-past episodes :3
i did enjoy this one tho

Jinx
05-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Patti LuPone is bae.

Shaibana
05-26-2015, 05:08 PM
the lack of interest in this thread is disturbing

AM I THE ONLY ONE LEFT WATCHING THIS SHOW??

FINE!!
*starts a new episode*

great episode!
that paranoid scene at the end had me on the edge of my seat

Shaibana
06-01-2015, 06:16 PM
week 2:
what was once a lifely thread is now a desolated desert.
everybody has left without any sign.
the only words i hear are from myself as they echo back to me.
everyday the signs of human activity fades a bit as i fade away with them.
the lonelines and isolation is slowly eating my mind away.

i have put up signs and sigals in hope that there is human life somewhere.
hoping someone will return me to take me out of this solitary excistence.

luckely i still get a meal every week that keeps me on my feet as i wander through this thread alone..

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/334/d/8/lonely_desert_road_by_shawneigh-d4g0g2j.jpg

Jinx
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
hahaha welp

this episode

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Not to worry, Shaibana. Sam and I have returned to the desolate wasteland in which you reside to bring insightful Penny Dreadful commentary.

I really liked the parallels between Caliban's fake story to Lily and then having that event actually happen with Dorian and Angelique.

The "hound of god" translation must be in relation to Ethan's role as protector of Vanessa.

I wonder what Sembene's secret is?

I was so happy to see the connection between Lily and Victor blossom. Love, pure and true. Hopefully it doesn't backfire.

-----

I am—yet what I am none cares or knows;
My friends forsake me like a memory lost:
I am the self-consumer of my woes—
They rise and vanish in oblivious host,
Like shadows in love’s frenzied stifled throes
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed

Into the nothingness of scorn and noise,
Into the living sea of waking dreams,
Where there is neither sense of life or joys,
But the vast shipwreck of my life’s esteems;
Even the dearest that I loved the best
Are strange—nay, rather, stranger than the rest.

I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.

Jinx
06-02-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure you can call it "love, pure and true" when he pretty much raped her. He's been lying to her about who and what she is. She can't really consent about what she's doing, because he's not being honest about...well, anything. It's creepy, is what it is!

Also, I totally missed that the story that John Clare told Lily actually happened with Dorian and Angelique. Good job connecting the two!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-02-2015, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't consider that rape. He didn't coerce her into anything, and in fact tried to fight his urges. Her love for him is true, and she initiated the sex that they both willingly participated in.

He lied to her about who she is, but he wasn't like "you're my wife". He tries to steer her towards Caliban. I imagine he's trying to reconcile his feelings for her with his desire not to be killed by his first creation.

Jinx
06-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Hmm, I wonder how she'd feel and WILL feel when it comes to light he's been lying about and to her the entire time.

It's rape because he has a inordinate amount of power over her. Since she was "born" he's been trying to mold her into what he considers the perfect woman. She CAN'T actually love him because there's no honesty between them.

In any case, most people who watched the show feel it was rape. Especially given the way they used them both being fully clothed as a symbolic sign of shame (as opposed to Dorian and Angelique). If not shame, there's stuff that's being hidden and guarded.

In the end, even if you don't consider it RAPE, you have to admit that the lines of consent are completely blurred and it's creepy as smurf.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Well then that's where our train of thought parts ways, but I'm sure we're both excited (yet slightly scared) of seeing what's coming up in equal measure :)

Jinx
06-03-2015, 01:03 AM
I mean, just consider this scenario:

You find a woman who has amnesia and you tell her that you're best friends and start to take care of her. In the process she develops feelings for you and wants to engage in a relationship and sexual intimacy with you. Do you have any qualms? Do you think having sex with her is okay? Do you REALLY think you're not taking advantage of a situation where you're lying and manipulating someone in such a way where they can't give informed consent?

If you think that's okay, that's actually really fucking weird and gross, LWL. And that's pretty much what's going on in the show. Again: even if you don't consider it rape, it's just not okay at all. Plus, Lily has shown to be almost childlike in her manners and thinking, so she's naive and simple as well. It's just all sorts of ooky.

Shiny
06-03-2015, 06:37 AM
I don't watch much of this show but regardless of his lying it seems that she consented to sex and as you said Jinx, had a "willingness to" so it's not rape. Of course it doesn't make it right, but he didn't Cosby that situation. She was conscious and apparently developed feelings for him that unfortunately arose out of a lie but could have perhaps arose either way.

If everyone who lied was a rapist we would all be rapists and that's obviously not the case so let's not go flinging about judgements if someone doesn't agree with you on whether this constitutes as rape or not.

Shaibana
06-03-2015, 11:27 AM
thank god, there is once again life here!
jaj!
perhaps its a good thing that i use subs otherwise i wouldnt be able to follow it with all those fancy words.
so.. 5 minutes of sex scenes, that was pretty awkward.

on the Frankenstein case: i dont see it as rape. the situation is not ideal but its not that she is doing it against her will.

i am really curious on how this will develope. the Lily/victor/jon(/and perhaps in the future Ethan) thing.

and will they found out about Ethans secret? :O

Jinx
06-03-2015, 01:50 PM
So I just read something saying that the story told about the Indians being taken away from their tribes and raised in schools by white people might be a clue to his past. I honestly never picked up on that at all.

Shaibana
06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
So I just read something saying that the story told about the Indians being taken away from their tribes and raised in schools by white people might be a clue to his past. I honestly never picked up on that at all.

when the hell did that happen?

Jinx
06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Season one.

Shaibana
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Season one.
i never remember these kind of (small) clues :(

Shiny
06-05-2015, 04:59 AM
5 minutes of sex scenes,that was pretty awkward.
I need to watch more of this show.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-05-2015, 05:11 AM

You really do.

Shaibana
06-05-2015, 09:33 PM

teehehehe if that is the stuff you are in too *looks at the other watchers*

im still waiting for Dorian to become relevant to this show (again)
at the moment he is just a side story with a unusual romance.

Jinx
06-05-2015, 09:46 PM

You really do.

Seconded.

I'm not really sure what kind of stuff you like, Shiny, but it's really, really, REALLY good. And the music is just beautiful.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-06-2015, 02:24 AM
I forgot Vanessa and Brona have met before. I wonder if Vanessa knows who she is and didn't say anything or if the hair and accent threw it off.

Jinx
06-06-2015, 02:27 AM
I'm thinking she didn't remember her. They only met for a couple of minutes.

Shauna
06-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Tbf Vanessa has been through a lot of crap

Shaibana
06-08-2015, 01:05 PM
interesting episode once again!
Malcolm needs the beard. he looks so much better with the beard :P

i think that Lily will get some of her memories back after being in Dorains house.
a huge bullet was dodged with Ethan not being able to go to the ball.
and what will be done now that Ethan's secret is out? :3

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-12-2015, 07:54 PM
I think Vanessa learned something when she touched Victor's hand.

I'm not sure if Dorian's playing coy at not knowing who Lily is. Maybe it's just on the tip of his tongue, as he has been with a lot of people and is trying to recollect.

That raining blood scene was amazing.

Jinx
06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Last week's blood rain scene WAS awesome. Probably one of the very scenes in the series so far. Secondly only to the seance scene.

I'm glad no witches this episode. Loved that it was Vanessa and Ethan. But now, it really does look like they won't.

AND OMG LILY HAS BLOODLUST

Shaibana
06-15-2015, 06:02 PM
ew yeah, what the hell is up with Lily? D:
im sure that jon will have some words with Victor now that he has seen Lily with Dorian

thehehe ethan and vanessa were all cute and happy in that house.. i was waiting for the 'and they lived happely ever after' ending.

Shaibana
06-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Good news ^^ PD will return with a 3rd season
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11425254_498650340286368_1315287336226067845_n.jpg?oh=57ca244bd438c223a33c0f49408234e1&oe=55F99CA6

p.s does anyone know when the season finale is?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-21-2015, 09:29 AM
After tomorrow's episode, we only have two more left.

This has been a really great season so far and they're making it look like the last three episodes will be pretty amazing.

Jinx
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Holy shit, SO much pay-off with Lily now.

Shaibana
06-22-2015, 04:03 PM
meh, i couldnt see the last minute (or 2). please discribe what happened after all 3 sat up in the coffins? xD
wasnt the whole thing with Dorian Gray that he would die if he sees his own painting?

imo Lily has gone too fast from pretty little girl to psychopath

Jinx
06-22-2015, 04:17 PM
That was the end of the episode, Shai.

And no, Dorian will die if his painting is damaged. I believe it's only A League of Extraordinary Gentleman that made it so he'd die if he just saw the painting.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-22-2015, 07:54 PM
At last we see Dorian's true colors. At the end of the day, his biggest love is himself. But how did Angelique know the magic of the painting?

Glad to see the big pay off with Sir Malcolm. Sembene helped him pull the strength from within. I liked the dancing scene in the dusty room.

Lily has gone full on crazy. I wonder if Proteus would have done the same if he lived long enough? Though I was a bit confused, because she seemed to go from "I could never love a face like yours" to "Let us take over the planet, brethren!" in the same monologue.

Jinx
06-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I think Angelique probably saw it move like Dorian did.

I think what they were trying to do there--or maybe they weren't, and I'm just picking up on things having been in an abusive relationship--was that she was mentally and emotionally abusing him to manipulate him. Don't underestimate the power of someone cutting you down with one word and then telling you they love you and want only you with the next. And for someone like Clare who has had the whole world tell him he's unwanted and unlovable, that sort of thing would really fuck with his head.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Do you suppose she really likes Victor and just wants to get Clare in a vulnerable situation?

Jinx
06-23-2015, 03:14 AM
No.

I think she's begun to remember more of her past then she's let on--hence her slipping into Brona's accent during her AMAZING monologue--and she hates Victor too.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-23-2015, 04:36 AM
Hmm. I can say one thing for sure, this season has been a lot harder to predict than first season.:holmes:

Shauna
06-23-2015, 08:33 AM
dat terrible ireland voice

Shaibana
06-23-2015, 02:29 PM
dat terrible ireland voice

brrr, indeed.. for the love of god remain Lily, dont go full Brona again.

now that i think about it, i believe the only Dorain ive seen dying was in League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

i hate Dorian for killing Angelique. but then again i never expected him to be commited to her. because Dorian is Dorian.
and im still waiting for him to actually get involved in the story.
he is still pretty much a side character at this moment

Jinx
06-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah, the Irish accent is godawful, but I LOVED how she just briefly slipped into it and back out. Showed there's more Brona left in her than we originally thought.

Shaibana
06-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the Irish accent is godawful, but I LOVED how she just briefly slipped into it and back out. Showed there's more Brona left in her than we originally thought.

i havent even noticed that little accent slip

Shauna
06-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, it was great how it happened. Excellent touch.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-25-2015, 01:16 AM
Sam and I are gonna end up playing this board game at some point.

It was clearly Dorian in a wax museum with a candlestick.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65013&stc=1

Jinx
06-25-2015, 02:51 AM
i said it was dorian in the boudoir with his dick

Shaibana
06-25-2015, 05:01 PM

meh, i dont have any Penny Dreadfull fans around here to play this game with ;_;

Jinx
06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
SEMBENE NOOOOOO D:

No wonder they didn't give him much back story. :(

Also, if you had a gun but you wouldn't kill the werewolf because he was chosen by god, but knew he would kill you...why wouldn't you just put the bullet in your own head to save yourself the pain of having your throat ripped out?

Shaibana
06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
SEMBENE NOOOOOO D:

No wonder they didn't give him much back story. :(

Also, if you had a gun but you wouldn't kill the werewolf because he was chosen by god, but knew he would kill you...why wouldn't you just put the bullet in your own head to save yourself the pain of having your throat ripped out?

NOOOOO SEMBENEEEEEE

i thought exactly the same.

im sure Hecate will ruin madame Kali´s plans in some way because she is after the alpha position.
it broke my heard to see Proteus again ;_; he was so sweet and innocent like a child

Shauna
06-30-2015, 08:12 PM

meh, i dont have any Penny Dreadfull fans around here to play this game with ;_;

We'll play it LONDON 2016

Shaibana
06-30-2015, 09:18 PM

We'll play it LONDON 2016

ooeeeh, the temptation....
i actually do want to go, i think, but im sure not going alone and i dont think my bf is waiting to meet random ppl like that xD

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-01-2015, 06:14 PM
When I saw Proteus I was so shocked! Malcolm saw his whole family, so with Lily and Clare there it made sense. It still amazed me.

A part of me hopes Sembene has a supernatural secret like everyone else. I'm in denial.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Such a wondrous episode, I'd consider it the best in the series to date. All these people who are inextricably linked are now separated by leaps and bounds. I'm left in wonderment as to which direction the next season could head in.

In an interview (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/penny-dreadful-season-3-finale-806786) posted yesterday about the season 2 finale, it's been said that season 3 will have 9 episodes.

And here (http://www.wordandfilm.com/2015/07/dark-arts-a-chat-with-penny-dreadful-tarot-cards-creator-anais-chareyre/), a very interesting chat with the person who designed the tarot deck.

Shaibana
07-06-2015, 05:13 PM
ooh wow, what a season ending!
i cant wait for season 3

im mostly curious about what will happen with Ethan :3

am i the only one who found this episode to feel extremely long? :P not necesairy in a bad way.
when Vanessa walked from Madam Kali's room i though 'roll credits!'. but that was only halfway xD

Jinx
07-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Goddamn, the music from this show is beautiful.

Shaibana
07-10-2015, 06:22 PM
p.s I completely did not agree on how the demon girls died.
it was too simple.. it looked like a cheap and fast way to get rid of them :S

and i didnt agree with Jon Clair breaking that jail door like that, but then i remembered that he also split Proteus in 2 with just his hands.. so..

Shaibana
04-10-2016, 04:34 PM
gooooooodafternoon everyone!

3 more weeks till this show starts again :D

here is a trailer (that you have probably already seen) to get the fire started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFABhWtqVc

Shaibana
04-29-2016, 05:23 PM
where is the hype? :D
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/13100730_616429081841826_3114589303713164249_n.jpg?oh=9d814b9a61d2c6e69e1a4048958d24f2&oe=57AC06CC
p.s why do all shows air on sunday? D: i dont always have the time to watch them all on monday!!

Shauna
04-29-2016, 05:43 PM
I didn't know this was coming back so soon.

Shaibana
05-02-2016, 04:01 PM
very nice first episode

Dr. Jekyll and Dracula are in the picture :D

Shaibana
05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
am i the only one left who is watching this??

it was a bit predictable that the new Dr would be dracula

Shaibana
05-16-2016, 02:47 PM
woah, that reveal at the end.
why am i still the only one talking about this?

Shaibana
05-27-2016, 02:05 PM
seriously, guys, im verry disapointed in all of you

Shauna
05-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I have some time off on Monday. I plan on putting my feet up and powering through the lot of this.

Jinx
06-01-2016, 05:28 PM
3x01
GODDAMN THAT OPENING SCENE ;-;
AW SHIT IT'S JEKYLL
OH SHIT PATTI LABELLE IS BACK YALL
DRACULA ON THE SCENE FINALLY

3x02
Goddamn Victor is such a piece of shit
Right now my guess is that Vanessa is going to end up as one of Jekyll's experiments MAYBE???
OH SHIT THE ZOO GUY IS DRACULA NOOOOOOOoo but also hot, i can get behind this

3x03
Holy shit the Monster's son is gointg to turn out to be Victor's "first" creation isn't he? The one from season one that Monster killed. I just see it now.
Obv the wife he is speaking of is Mina.
OH SHIT THE ORDERLY THO

3x04
OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT THE MASTER I MEAN I KNOW HE'S NOT ACTUALLY THE MONSTER AND IS JUST IMPERSONATING HIM LIKEHE DID WITH ETHAN BUT EVEN STILL...this is going to lead to some mishaps
I mean, obvshe's gonna be the one who killed him, right?

3x05
Also, have I mentioned that Dr. Jekyll is like HOLY SHIT HOT
Goddamn that story ;0;

Shaibana
06-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Good Lord.. im not alone anymore

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-05-2016, 11:06 PM
I never thought I'd be on board an Ethan X Hecate ship.

But I sail them waters hard.

Jinx
06-05-2016, 11:13 PM
I never thought I'd be on board an Ethan X Hecate ship.

But I sail them waters hard.

This is how I feel about Vanessa x Dracula.

EDIT: Glad to see you posting, LWL. I was actually thinking about you when I was binging the episodes.

You and I kind of got into it last year over the Victor/Lily relationship. Based on this season's episodes, how do you feel about their relationship now? With Victor's need to control her and make her "docile"?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Definitely not a fan. Disaster is coming when those characters reunite again. Between her desire for world domination and his desire to force her into his life and essentially put her in a catatonic state, nothing good will happen.

I'll be interested to see if Dorian tries to help her or if he gets tired of her like he does everyone else.