PDA

View Full Version : Poached quince

Big D
04-05-2014, 03:41 AM
I've had quince jelly once or twice, but until today I've never actually prepared these fruit. When raw, they're very tough and tart, so apparently they're almost always cooked in some way.

I adapted a recipe I found online, using it to poach four medium-large ripe quinces, quartered and peeled.

Combine the following in a large pot:

About 1.4 litres of water
Half a cup of sugar
A quarter of a cup of honey
A teaspoon of vanilla essence
A thumb-sized piece of cinnamon bark
About half a dozen whole cloves
A teaspoon of ground ginger
About four whole star anise
A lemon, halved but not peeled or juiced

Heat until simmering, then add the quince and cover with a sheet of baking paper, with a hole in the center for ventillation.

Simmer for an hour, or longer if needed. Poke the quince pieces with a very sharp knife to test whether they're cooked through.

The fruit ends up warm and delicious, just like the syrup they're poached in.

You've just got to take care with cutting and coring the fruit. The cores are really solid and fibrous, and the flesh is firm too. I experimented with various knives, and eventually settled on a meat cleaver for quartering the fruit, a non-serrated steak knife for coring, and a filleting knife for removing the skin.

noxious.sunshine
04-05-2014, 05:06 PM
what the hell is a quince?

Big D
04-06-2014, 01:40 AM
It looks a bit like a lumpy, bright yellow apple with pale flesh. Once they're cooked, the flesh is soft and pink. They don't often show up in grocery stores - despite being infamously solid, they also bruise really easily. Quince jelly is pretty common, but to get the raw fruit you normally need to head to a farmers' market or somebody with a tree in their back yard.

Parker
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
quince jelly owns. i only had one quince fruit and that owned too

Shauna
04-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Dulce de membrillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_de_membrillo) is my only experience with quince, and it is delicious. I may have to look into this.

Ayen
04-06-2014, 04:14 PM
I've seen quinces at the grocery store once or twice when I used to accompany my parents on their routine trips when I was too young to be left alone at the house, but I never actually tried one.