PDA

View Full Version : Games that Surprised you!

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Have you ever picked up a game on a lark and thought it would just be a good time waster only to be surprised how good it is? What about that game everyone trash talks about but you still decided to check it out and lo and behold it turns out to be much better than the screaming mob says it is? Discuss these treasures.

Ayen
04-06-2014, 07:00 PM
The most recent experience would be Assassin's Creed III. I saw from a few people that it sucked, but so far I have enjoyed it immensely and don't see what everyone was complaining about. That said, I still haven't gotten to the part that most complain about and only heard of some things fairly recently.

Some other games that surprised me were Spelunky, Game Dev Tycoon and Dust: An Elysian Tail. All three are independent games you can get on Steam and I didn't expect any of them to be as good as they were. Especially Game Dev Tycoon which I played for hours and got addicted to.

Another game that surprised me was Darksiders. It was a request for a review I did back in October and I got hooked on that game pretty quickly. The most fun I had with a game that came out in the past couple of years before I got a hold of the other games listed.

Forsaken Lover
04-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Final Fantasy XIII. It was really bad and I went in hoping it would be at least decent.

Same for Star Ocean 3 only even worse.

Final Fantasy XII surprised me in the good way. I put it off for years and years but when I actually played it, it became one of my top two or three FF games.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Mount and Blade has sucked a lot of hours out of my life for being something that only looked kind of okay.

Pike
04-08-2014, 10:24 AM
SteamWorld Dig
Awesomenauts
Bit Trip Runner
Waking Mars

Basically tons of Humble Bundle games that I picked up for dirt cheap expecting maybe a half hour of playtime and then ended up putting hours into

Old Manus
04-08-2014, 10:49 AM
I was always told that Bioshock was an amazing game, but I played it a few months ago and was surprised to find it was the most underwhelming game I've ever played.

Bolivar
04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Infamous really surprised me, it kinda came out of nowhere.

Madame Adequate
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I was always told that Bioshock was an amazing game, but I played it a few months ago and was surprised to find it was the most underwhelming game I've ever played.

Yeah, this.

I was positively surprised by Risk of Rain, which I've been playing the absolute shit out of like it's a religious quest lately.

black orb
04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
>>> BlazBlue games, I was just expecting another Guilty Gear but that game surpassed it by far..:luca:
Final Fantasy XII surprised me too, at that time nobody liked that game.

Shorty
04-09-2014, 05:31 PM
The Wolf Among Us :jess:

Vermachtnis
04-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Prototype, it was on my friends shelf and I was like what's that and they were like oh it's not really your kind of game and I was like DUN TELL ME WHAT TO DO and played it and it really wasn't my kind of game, but it was fun as hell. You can drop kick helicopters and do all kinds of mayhem. And the story was decent enough too.

Borderlands 2 surprised me too. I don't exactly know what it was about the game that I didn't like when I saw it, I think it was because it was a first person shooter I wrote it off. But my friends kept pestering me to play it and eventually went out and bought it for me off steam when it was cheap and I had no excuse not to play it. I've dumped seventy hours into it so far and still having fun. And I've only really used Maya. I haven't played with the others yet. Kreig looks really fun to play as.