PDA

View Full Version : Moombas!

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Man I loved these little guys, why haven't they been featured again in the series?

Jinx
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
The only good part of FFVIII!

Ayen
04-06-2014, 07:44 PM
The only good part of FFVIII!

Your days are numbered, witch!
Love you, really.

I have no idea why these creatures haven't been featured in another Final Fantasy game. Unless they just didn't catch on as much as the moogles and chocobos have. Or people just don't want to be reminded VIII exists, but that can't be it because we still see VIII characters in Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia.

Shorty
04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I, too, have wondered why they haven't been featured anywhere else. It's really weird! (I actually prefer moombas to moogles.) What's also weird is the FFVIII doesn't have moogles, and they are a relatively new concept to me.

Forsaken Lover
04-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I agree with Spoony that they look like they should be advocating some new EXTREME brand of Cheetos.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Moombas are probably my favorite FF creature, but I kind of like them existing just in the world of VIII. Of course that might just be because I've never seen them in any other FF game, so the thought of it is just weird. I just like each world having some unique creatures like the Moombas and the Shoopufs and whatever else there are in the different FF games.

CimminyCricket
04-08-2014, 03:57 AM
I really liked the moombas when I first played through VIII. I think there's an account on the internet somewhere and my screenname there is Cim the Moomba.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 04:16 AM
Moombas could appear but it would necessitate the exclusion of the shumi and therefore undermine most of the depth.

Wolf Kanno
04-08-2014, 04:49 AM
They could just create a new myth for them, it's not like Moogles and Chocobos have been consistent over the series history either.

Moombas did show up in one other game though in a very limited capacity, they are one of the types of dolls Lulu uses as a weapon in FFX

Big D
04-08-2014, 07:31 AM
What's also weird is the FFVIII doesn't have moogles, and they are a relatively new concept to me.The FFVIII 'world' technically has moogles, we just never see them. There's the MiniMog character and summon from the Chocobo World minigame, and the accompanying MiniMog card in Triple Triad. There's also a ball team at Trabia Garden called the Mogmog Moogles or something.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
They could just create a new myth for them, it's not like Moogles and Chocobos have been consistent over the series history either.

True, but they're not generally intricately tied to the world. They exist, but if you replaced them, it wouldn't matter so much. The moomba are an evolution of another species that have specific cultural practices and whatnot. You could strip that away, but I think the charm comes from the background. I wouldn't like to see moomba reappear merely as token mascots when they have been so much more.

Psychotic
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Moombas certainly had the potential to be a series mascot up there with the likes of Moogles, Tonberries, Cactuars and so on.

Kalevala
04-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Moombas are evolved Moogles. Single universe timeline theory, duh.

Jiro
04-09-2014, 02:26 AM
And what, Shumi are big Moogles? xD

Kalevala
04-09-2014, 03:09 AM
No, the Ronso are.

These are things I have actually read.

Jiro
04-09-2014, 04:15 AM
Read where? I have to read these, it sounds ridiculously entertaining.

Depression Moon
04-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I am actually surprised that they haven't appeared in any other games and in VIII they were only there for a brief moment.

Big D
04-09-2014, 05:42 AM
I think Moombas were *intended* to spark interest and become a new series mascot, but never caught on. Probably because that's what happens when someone tries to create a fan-favourite artificially, instead of letting the fans decide for themselves what they're going to dote on.

Kalevala
04-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Read where? I have to read these, it sounds ridiculously entertaining.

I'll see if I can dig it up. It was linked to in a Nuklear Power article ages ​ago.

Edit: FOUND IT. http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/39980-final-fantasy-timeline/

Jiro
04-09-2014, 07:05 AM
excellent :aimsun:

Pumpkin
04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
I love Moombas and I would love to see more of them!

Sephex
04-15-2014, 07:03 AM
At the time I thought Square was trying to shoehorn another cute type creature in the FF universe, but as time has gone by I have grown fond of them. I was also surprised that they weren't in other games afterwards, but it is what it is.