PDA

View Full Version : Does FFIX have the best love story?

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2014, 07:30 PM
So I often hear fans talk about Garnet and Zidane being their favorite FF couple, so do you feel IX has the best love story or do you feel another game tops it?

Jinx
04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
If I'm being quite honest, I don't think love stories are something SE does particularly well. It always feels really fake and unbelievable. But yes, of the FFs I've played, IX probably has the best love story.

Sephiroth
04-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Final Fantasy IV has the best love story in my opinion. They seem the most mature in that relation. I also very much like Squall and Rinoa and Snow and Serah. Also Lock and Rachel is a heartbreaker.

Forsaken Lover
04-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Fei and Elly exist and since Xenogears was originally FFVII, no, Zidane and Garnet got nothing on them.

But, of the "regular FFs", I guess they're okay. I'd say they're tied with Tidus and Yuna.

Elpizo
04-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Their falling in love was the most believable romance in the main series, at least. The gradual development was nice. I'd say Cecil and Rosa are a good couple, too, but they were already together when the game began.

NeoCracker
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah, IX has the best of any FF, though we aren't exactly working with a high standard.

And I still think it's better then Fei and Elly, because I have never once liked the pre-destined love thing. That's it's own rant entirely and not really related though. :p

Bolivar
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't rank IX as the best because it seemed a little too inevitable for the main character and the princess to get together for few reasons outside of just because. Squall had to overcome who he was in order to let Rinoa in and that made for a more powerful story. Yuna x Tidus was more memorable and more natural, as Tidus was the only outsider in the group, the only one she could really be herself around. And VII accomplished more from the subtlety of the writing and the ambiguity it achieved - it is not clear from the face of the story who Cloud loved, if anyone at all, and that is a much more commendable feat than the boy meets girl approach of FFIX could.

I do see why IX would be appreciated most, though, since it doesn't beat you over the head with a love story. I think it also has to do with gamers on a whole being a less outgoing bunch, we react negatively to love stories out of impulse and can rarely articulate cohesive reasons why. The director of Remember Me pointed this out in a pretty controversial interview, although he was speaking more from a feminist perspective.

Moogle Chrome
04-08-2014, 12:32 AM
This helps FFVIII's case!

ka-SyhUqTt0

This song, especially this version, gets me every time.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't think it is the best because it is awfully tropey. But, it's done well for what it is, so I like that.

Pumpkin
04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't think IX has the best love story. Its good, but nothing spectacular. I think just in IX Steiner and Beatrix had a better love story than the two main characters.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I think IX has the best romantic love story of the games I've played, but it isn't Zidane and Garnet.

XII has the best relationships, though...