PDA

View Full Version : Revived Franchise

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Let's say SE decided to look through it's backlog of game franchises and chose to do a serious revival with an actual console game, which series would you like to see?

Vyk
04-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Their Mana games tend to crop up once in a while still, but I do kinda wish they'd go back more to their roots there too. It's a long-winded RPG with freaking couch-co-op. We tried Legend of Mana, and even at that point things had changed too much. Couch co-op is an option, but it's completely broken and not worth it. You can bring in your own character to someone else's game, but they're not allowed to level up or anything. We were so sad when we finally got it on PSN and found out how un-fun it was. Or you grab random characters and only play as them a little bit. Seems like it would have been simple if they had AI partners in mind anyway, and allowed you to enter someone else's game anyway. Why not mix the two if they wanted? Bring along the AI partner and have a 3-people team, just like Secret. Why break the ability to level in someone else's game? I realize they want you to be able to stay at the level you're supposed to be in your own game. But what if you don't want to play through your own game PLUS someone else's? Argh. Disappointment. And the other games are just on handheld as far as I know. One was on GBA, so either it didn't have co-op or required a stupid cable. Did the DS one finally get it right? Though if I remember correctly that was only a remake of the very first one..

The Man
04-07-2014, 01:31 AM
Seiken Densetsu already is being revived with Rise of Mana (although it's not a given that we'll be getting an English version of that yet), and it's gotten quite positive reviews, so I'm voting for Chrono. Admittedly Rise of Mana isn't a console game, but it looks good enough that I can't entirely care.

Vyk
04-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Oh, neato. Hopefully with their new revelation they'll be sure to send the worldwide JRPG fans their damned JRPGs like they said they would

Slothy
04-07-2014, 02:14 AM
Einhander.

Jinx
04-07-2014, 02:59 AM
Final Fantasy.

Ayen
04-07-2014, 03:02 AM
I would love to see a new Bushido Blade released. That game was so awesome.

Del Murder
04-08-2014, 04:39 AM
A tough call. So many of these would be great to see. In the end I went with Chrono since Trigger was one of the best games ever and Cross was also pretty good. It would be great to see a third game.

Jiro
04-08-2014, 09:01 AM
I never really played a Chrono game so a new one would be a neat entry point.

CimminyCricket
04-08-2014, 12:06 PM
I want a new Star Ocean game and a new Valkyrie Profile game.

Depression Moon
04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I want that Threads of Fate sequel!

VeloZer0
04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
While I would absolutely love a new Chrono game I have zero faith in SE's ability to make a good one at this point. Something like Bushido Blade I think would be doable, and quite unique and enjoyable.

Endless
04-13-2014, 06:55 PM
In this order:
1) A proper couch/online-multiplayer Mana game. Legend of Mana is a terrific game that suffers from the shitty 2P mode (and subpar fight mechanics, but honestly, I play it for the stories, not the battles), SoM and SD3 were much better for that. On the DS, Children of Mana is a pure dungeon crawler, with local multiplayer but meh. Sword of Mana on the GBA doesn't have proper multiplayer, which sucks because the game is a good remake. Heroes of Mana and Dawn of Mana are better left ignored. >.>
Secret of Evermore's nice too but has no multiplayer unless you go the rom patching route (http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/soe/index.html).

2) A good remake of SaGa Frontier 2 or a game with the same philosophy of epic stories and heroes and leaders and generations in the SaGa universe.

3) A Chrono game, preferably turn based RPG.

Wolf Kanno
04-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Honestly, SE has actually been doing some good things with game design if Type-0 and Bravery Default show. Hell, I may not like FFXIII but even I will agree it's sequels are at least playable if you ignore the terrible writing.

The other thing here is that SE has said on more than one occasion that a Chrono sequel won't happen unless they can get most of the team that did the previous entries on board, so if they did announce one, it's not like they are handing it over to Motomu Toriyama and Kazuhige Nojima to totally ruin it. So a decent sequel is still plausible if they stay true to that.

black orb
04-13-2014, 08:32 PM
>>> Chrono and SaGa are great but if I have to pick only one I choose the fanboy option, Threads of Fate..:luca:

NeoCracker
04-13-2014, 08:53 PM
I want a new Ogre Battle dammit. :colbert:

Colonel Angus
05-10-2014, 06:04 AM
It's got to be Chrono. I wish they'd remake Radical Dreamers into a little more standard game.

But no love for Dragon Quest?

The Man
05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Dragon Quest is still going strong, as far as I know. DQX was generally praised upon release and was one of the top ten selling games on the Wii in the year of its release, although it hasn't been released outside of Japan, apparently.