PDA

View Full Version : What RPG do you want to see an HD remake of?

Wolf Kanno
04-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Inspired by this video

o9D87NW-EA8

So just as it says in the title, which RPG would you love to see an HD rebuild of?

CimminyCricket
04-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Star Ocean III, Growlanser II, Chaos Legion, and Neverwinter Nights II.

NeoCracker
04-08-2014, 06:41 AM
I would love to see some of the Breath of Fire II-IV monsters in HD.

And Xenosaga.

And FF IX could use an HD upgrade. People who say you can't make anything out are clearly blind as the game looks great, though there is no denying some pixilation issues.

The Man
04-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, Seiken Densetsu 3, Suikoden II, Final Fantasy IX

None of these are likely, but a man can dream.

Pike
04-08-2014, 10:26 AM
All I want is Super Mario RPG on Nintendo 3DS is this too much to ask

Jiro
04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
New Super Mario RPG. It writes itself.

Ayen
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
None, really. The constant demand for remakes everywhere I go has alienated me to the idea of remakes. I'm content with the original copies of the RPGs I do have. I don't need a remake.

Forsaken Lover
04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Xenosaga Trilogy HD Collection be nice. As long as it didn't suck and they put some work into it.

black orb
04-09-2014, 01:36 AM
>>> FF XII..
I dont see the point on making SNES games into HD, most of them are just 2D pixel graphics (they wont look any better on HD)..:luca:

The Man
04-09-2014, 03:05 AM
That's the point; an HD remake would have to be an actual remake. For a game like FFVI to work in HD they'd have to make a 3D version of it.

Skyblade
04-09-2014, 03:21 AM
That's the point; an HD remake would have to be an actual remake. For a game like FFVI to work in HD they'd have to make a 3D version of it.

High Definition is literally that: It is a measure of graphical definition. It is determined purely by the number and ratio of the pixel display. You can certainly make two dimensional games that play in high definition. Mark of the Ninja is one such example, and there are thousands of others out there.

All I want is Super Mario RPG on Nintendo 3DS is this too much to ask

I'd appreciate this, actually. Let's go with this one.

The Man
04-09-2014, 03:30 AM
You could certainly simply increase the pixel count of FFVI (which is basically what they already did for the iOS/Android remake and it looks like shit), but I said for the game to work in HD you'd have to do it in 3D. FFVI's graphical style simply wouldn't work in 1920x1080. You'd have to completely overhaul the graphic style for it to look good.

black orb
04-09-2014, 05:01 AM
>>> I was thinking more into a HD remaster like they did with FFX.
Full 3D remakes like FF3 and FF4 DS is something that rarely happens..:luca:

maybee
04-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, and Chrono Trigger pls.

Mirage
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
You could certainly simply increase the pixel count of FFVI (which is basically what they already did for the iOS/Android remake and it looks like shit), but I said for the game to work in HD you'd have to do it in 3D. FFVI's graphical style simply wouldn't work in 1920x1080. You'd have to completely overhaul the graphic style for it to look good.

It's not the spirite resolution that makes it look like crap.

The Man
04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
It's not just the sprite resolution that makes it look like crap. Regardless, I maintain that it would simply be impossible to do sprites in the style of FFVI's but five times larger. They're too dependent on sharp contrast, and making the sprites larger will inevitably remove the sharpness of the contrast.

Bolivar
04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
I think if they did something like the PSP remakes it could work. In any event, 2D pixel games are all the rage on next gen systems and they know how to make them look great on HDTVs. I can't wait for Hotline Miami 2.

Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII are the games I really want.

Skyblade
04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I'd be willing to see FFXII on a PS3 or PS4. In addition to making it look better, it would also (supposedly) allow them to fix the worst issue with the mechanics, which were apparently a problem with the PS2's processing capabilities. They could also take the opportunity to add in some more dialogue and content to break up the monotony of the infinite dungeon crawl. Yeah, that's not going to happen though, is it?

Mirage
04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
It's not just the sprite resolution that makes it look like crap. Regardless, I maintain that it would simply be impossible to do sprites in the style of FFVI's but five times larger. They're too dependent on sharp contrast, and making the sprites larger will inevitably remove the sharpness of the contrast.

It's just not the sprite resolution at all.

More on topic though: I want FF12 IZJS and SO3 on my PS3.

Carl the Llama
04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Final Fantasy VII.

THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!

Bolivar
04-09-2014, 08:15 PM
I'd be willing to see FFXII on a PS3 or PS4. In addition to making it look better, it would also (supposedly) allow them to fix the worst issue with the mechanics, which were apparently a problem with the PS2's processing capabilities. They could also take the opportunity to add in some more dialogue and content to break up the monotony of the infinite dungeon crawl. Yeah, that's not going to happen though, is it?

All I need is for them to allow the option for camera controls to be normal and not inverted.

Laddy
04-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Ultima IV.

Skyblade
04-10-2014, 05:21 AM
All I need is for them to allow the option for camera controls to be normal and not inverted.

I'd like for spells like Scathe, or enemy skills like Sandstorm, to not utterly break the basic functionality of the mechanics, myself.

I'd also like to see some form of difficulty besides "unblockable instant-kill attacks". But this isn't supposed to be a complaints about XII thread, sorry. I would like to see an HD version, but I would like the mechanics cleaned up (since apparently the spell problem was caused by the inability of the PS2 to handle more happening, so it locked your other abilities out while those types of abilities were in use).

That said, I'd like a 3DS version of Super Mario RPG. And the first two Paper Mario games while we're at it (I never played the first one, but Thousand Year Door was really good).

And Super Metroid. And Secret of Mana. And F-Zero. And Soul Blazer. And Illusion of Gaia. And Super Ghosts and Goblins. And Yoshi's Island. And...

Dat Matt
04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
While I don't mind HD remakes of games, I would love to see Final Fantasy Tactics Advance ported to the Wii U virtual console now they are doing GBA games.

Tasura
04-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Jade Cocoon 1+2 and Dragon Warrior 7. There are probably more but I can't think of any right now.

Skyblade
04-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Final Fantasy Type-0.

Forget Final Fantasy XV. I really think it's going to be another major disappointment, and I don't know that the series is going to survive another. Pull out Type-0. Rebuild it as a console release with full HD graphics, and drop that on us. It will do brilliantly. It already has the scope and depth of a full entry in the series.

Formalhaut
04-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Final Fantasy Type-0.

Forget Final Fantasy XV. I really think it's going to be another major disappointment, and I don't know that the series is going to survive another. Pull out Type-0. Rebuild it as a console release with full HD graphics, and drop that on us. It will do brilliantly. It already has the scope and depth of a full entry in the series.

I agree. I really like the look of Type-0, but can't play it. I think it'd do swimmingly. As for FFXII, the mechanics effectively made spells fairly useless, especially towards the later stages of the game. Physical attacks that combo highly effectively made offensive magic fairly redundant. FFXII would be nice remade, but it's too recent a Final Fantasy for it to be considered.

Sephiroth
04-11-2014, 11:54 PM
.hack.

Jinx
04-12-2014, 12:59 AM
.hack.

This is one thing we can agree on, sir. This game was AWESOME.

Big D
04-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Vagrant Story. This would make me happy in so many ways.

Mirage
04-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Final Fantasy Type-0.

I agree. I really like the look of Type-0, but can't play it. I think it'd do swimmingly. As for FFXII, the mechanics effectively made spells fairly useless, especially towards the later stages of the game. Physical attacks that combo highly effectively made offensive magic fairly redundant. FFXII would be nice remade, but it's too recent a Final Fantasy for it to be considered.

It's not a lot more recent than FFX-2

krissy
04-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Vagrant Story. This would make me happy in so many ways.

ya
"i am the hd reinforcements"

Jiro
04-13-2014, 10:07 AM
.hack.

I'm on board. Gimme gimme.

Tasura
04-13-2014, 02:28 PM
.hack.

All 7 please.

Shauna
04-13-2014, 03:31 PM
.hack.

All 7 please.

Maybe release the GU games outside of JP and NA!

Wolf Kanno
04-13-2014, 06:47 PM
I'd like for spells like Scathe, or enemy skills like Sandstorm, to not utterly break the basic functionality of the mechanics, myself.

I'd also like to see some form of difficulty besides "unblockable instant-kill attacks". But this isn't supposed to be a complaints about XII thread, sorry. I would like to see an HD version, but I would like the mechanics cleaned up (since apparently the spell problem was caused by the inability of the PS2 to handle more happening, so it locked your other abilities out while those types of abilities were in use).

I disagree with you both, largely because the queue issue in my opinion is much like combos and juggles in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, an unintentional fluke caused by a coding error, but one that actually adds a level of strategy we didn't even think about.

Magic is actually useful because of the queue issue, as it allows the player to have some limited control of turn order and you can effectively stun lock some of the nastier bosses, Espers, and Mark Hunts in the game if you understand how to take advantage of it. Even better is that the game can do the same to your party, so it does change how you do some Gambit set-ups.

Fynn
04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I know it doesn't count as an HD remake, but I want Planescape: Torment on my 3DS and I want it now!

Skyblade
04-13-2014, 08:39 PM

I disagree with you both, largely because the queue issue in my opinion is much like combos and juggles in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, an unintentional fluke caused by a coding error, but one that actually adds a level of strategy we didn't even think about.

Magic is actually useful because of the queue issue, as it allows the player to have some limited control of turn order and you can effectively stun lock some of the nastier bosses, Espers, and Mark Hunts in the game if you understand how to take advantage of it. Even better is that the game can do the same to your party, so it does change how you do some Gambit set-ups.

If there was "strategy" to it, I'd think the same thing. Except there isn't. It removes nearly all strategy from the game, because it locks down all combat except basic attacks.

You talk about "stun-locking" enemies. But enemies don't suffer from it nearly as much as you do. Any of these spells block only other spells. Or items. So you have no way to heal, no way to replenish buffs (and XIII made buffs incredibly important), and no way to cure poison. So you'll continue to take damage, poison damage, etcetera, and you'll be getting weaker because your buffs will be wearing off constantly. And you will get no opportunity to counter this. Sure, you can use your own spells, but they'll just lock you out the same way.

The further you get into the game, the more enemies you get whose strategy consist entirely of "spam big spells so you can't do anything except attack", turning everything into a boring war of attrition as to who can win with basic attacks first.

Rostum
04-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Honestly at this point in time I'm just hoping FFXII gets a HD Remaster, much like FFX/X-2 before it.

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2014, 06:34 AM
If there was "strategy" to it, I'd think the same thing. Except there isn't. It removes nearly all strategy from the game, because it locks down all combat except basic attacks.

This is my point, because preventing the enemies to pull off their attacks except for basic means your own party can get free hits while the monster's special attack is waiting for your high tier spell to cast. It's actually a very effective stratgy for stopping several bosses and Mark hunts.

You talk about "stun-locking" enemies. But enemies don't suffer from it nearly as much as you do. Any of these spells block only other spells. Or items. So you have no way to heal, no way to replenish buffs (and XIII made buffs incredibly important), and no way to cure poison. So you'll continue to take damage, poison damage, etcetera, and you'll be getting weaker because your buffs will be wearing off constantly. And you will get no opportunity to counter this. Sure, you can use your own spells, but they'll just lock you out the same way.

Actually items have the same queue rating as attacks, so only magic spells are hampered and this all only happens if you yourself are being lazy about not using the strategy in the first place or paying attention to enemy patterns. Likewise, although your main party can't do anything in battle, it doesn't mean you can't pause the game shift your B squad in, and have them take the hit while your main party retains all their buffs and health in the reserve section.

Yes, some enemies do get abilities that will throw this all out the window but not nearly as many as I feel you think their are and many that do have the Zero Charge or the Attack CT = 0 ability don't usually start with the ability and instead unlock it once it gets to a certain threshhold in it's HP. Meaning that with careful planning, you can knock them down close to it and try to finish it with a quickening chain. I mean the ideal strategy for Zodiark is to stun lock him until he's half way dead and then pull off a quickening chain to kill him before he pulls out a physical pailing.

The further you get into the game, the more enemies you get whose strategy consist entirely of "spam big spells so you can't do anything except attack", turning everything into a boring war of attrition as to who can win with basic attacks first.

This pretty much tells me you never bothered to even try by this point because it's not really like that. I take it you never finished this game cause not many of the game's nastier enemies even try to pull off the strategy you are talking about except maybe the espers but that's kind of expected of them. Seriously the more terrifying strategies by the nastier game enemies don't involve screwing you with the queue system and the enemies that get the CT=0 abilities for attack and magic, that is hardly what makes them difficult. It's usually their defensive abilities that make them all a pain in the ass. Zodiark? Would be a pansy if he didn't become immune to melee attacks halfway through the fight, in fact stun locking him becomes a necessary strategy to even win. Hell most of the Esper battles are difficult because of the ability restrictions placed on you rather than them stun-locking you. Pyrolaster and Yiazmat? The real issue is their access to the skill that doubles their levels and basically doubles their attack power and halfs all your damage against them, making the fight a scramble to kill them before they kill you. Gilgamesh is mostly a pain because of his Blue Magic spamming and none of it really stun locks you as much as just screws up and unprepared party. Final boss? He's got a few spammy special attacks but what really makes him a chore is his use of pailings. Hell I would argue the pailing are probably the biggest pain in the players ass but I don't really mind them that much cause they keep me on my toes.

It's honestly not a big factor for the enemies if you the player make sure to take advantage of it first and use other strategies to minimize it's effectiveness against you.

LocoColt04
04-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Reaching prior to Sixth Generation, I could definitely give the obvious answers... Final Fantasy I - IX, Mana series, Chrono series, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

But, as those are terribly unlikely because they would require full overhauls from the very bottom up, here are my Sixth Generation RPG favorites for remake:

Baten Kaitos I, II
Final Fantasy XII
Rogue Galaxy
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Suikoden V
Xenosaga I, II, III

Loony BoB
04-14-2014, 11:54 AM
FFI through to FFIX. For VII, VIII and IX, they would simply be redone in high def. For FFI through to FFVI, the games would be redone in 3D. I'd love for this to happen. Not expecting it to, though.

Oh, and FFXI, but people have been crying out for that for years.

Skyblade
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM

This is my point, because preventing the enemies to pull off their attacks except for basic means your own party can get free hits while the monster's special attack is waiting for your high tier spell to cast. It's actually a very effective stratgy for stopping several bosses and Mark hunts.

Actually items have the same queue rating as attacks, so only magic spells are hampered and this all only happens if you yourself are being lazy about not using the strategy in the first place or paying attention to enemy patterns. Likewise, although your main party can't do anything in battle, it doesn't mean you can't pause the game shift your B squad in, and have them take the hit while your main party retains all their buffs and health in the reserve section.

Yes, some enemies do get abilities that will throw this all out the window but not nearly as many as I feel you think their are and many that do have the Zero Charge or the Attack CT = 0 ability don't usually start with the ability and instead unlock it once it gets to a certain threshhold in it's HP. Meaning that with careful planning, you can knock them down close to it and try to finish it with a quickening chain. I mean the ideal strategy for Zodiark is to stun lock him until he's half way dead and then pull off a quickening chain to kill him before he pulls out a physical pailing.

This pretty much tells me you never bothered to even try by this point because it's not really like that. I take it you never finished this game cause not many of the game's nastier enemies even try to pull off the strategy you are talking about except maybe the espers but that's kind of expected of them. Seriously the more terrifying strategies by the nastier game enemies don't involve screwing you with the queue system and the enemies that get the CT=0 abilities for attack and magic, that is hardly what makes them difficult. It's usually their defensive abilities that make them all a pain in the ass. Zodiark? Would be a pansy if he didn't become immune to melee attacks halfway through the fight, in fact stun locking him becomes a necessary strategy to even win. Hell most of the Esper battles are difficult because of the ability restrictions placed on you rather than them stun-locking you. Pyrolaster and Yiazmat? The real issue is their access to the skill that doubles their levels and basically doubles their attack power and halfs all your damage against them, making the fight a scramble to kill them before they kill you. Gilgamesh is mostly a pain because of his Blue Magic spamming and none of it really stun locks you as much as just screws up and unprepared party. Final boss? He's got a few spammy special attacks but what really makes him a chore is his use of pailings. Hell I would argue the pailing are probably the biggest pain in the players ass but I don't really mind them that much cause they keep me on my toes.

It's honestly not a big factor for the enemies if you the player make sure to take advantage of it first and use other strategies to minimize it's effectiveness against you.

When I said you get more and more enemies that acted that way, I never mentioned bosses.

Do you remember little guys called Baknamy? Yeah, their entire strategy consists of spamming Sandstorm and beating the crap out of you in large groups. They aren't the only random enemy to do this.

Bosses aren't really a problem, in fact, they're almost comically easy, because there is only one of them, and usually their spells are their heavy hitters, so you can stun lock them. But random mobs who abuse this tactic (which, again, increase in number the further in you get) are just annoying to fight.

Most bosses wind up in resulting to cheap tactics to win, or being a complete pushover. You say that the doubling damage was the problem with Yiazmat and Zodiark, but honestly, the only trouble I ever had with them was their instant-death moves. The biggest problem most Espers gave me was getting their rare steals.

metagloria
04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
FF1, 5 and 7
Xenogears
SO3

aaaaaand Mega Man Legends. you want to talk about an underrated game...

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
When I said you get more and more enemies that acted that way, I never mentioned bosses.

Do you remember little guys called Baknamy? Yeah, their entire strategy consists of spamming Sandstorm and beating the crap out of you in large groups. They aren't the only random enemy to do this.

Bosses aren't really a problem, in fact, they're almost comically easy, because there is only one of them, and usually their spells are their heavy hitters, so you can stun lock them. But random mobs who abuse this tactic (which, again, increase in number the further in you get) are just annoying to fight.

Most bosses wind up in resulting to cheap tactics to win, or being a complete pushover. You say that the doubling damage was the problem with Yiazmat and Zodiark, but honestly, the only trouble I ever had with them was their instant-death moves. The biggest problem most Espers gave me was getting their rare steals.

The issue here is that your complaint can still be resolved by being more proactive with enemy encounters and utilizing the queue for your own benefit. I never had issues with the Baknamy after the initial encounter with them. I honestly have more issues with respawning army of undead in some areas than those critters or the bombs, or some of the bigger beasts.

Mercen-X
04-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Dark Cloud, Beyond Good & Evil (I think it was supposed to have had a HD remake but I've never seen it), Grandia, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy VIII, Crystalis, Alundra, Alundra 2, Ephemeral Fantasia

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Xenogears HD. Yes, please.

Despite the fact that disc 2 was a text dump with boss fights, it's still one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Don't get me wrong, though. I still quite enjoyed the second disc.

I'd like a proper remake with a fleshed out disc 2.

Final Fantasy X HD has it going in the right direction, releasing the International Version in America and giving us 20 hours of new gameplay. I'd like to see a game like Xenogears do this, except with content that may not yet be created.

In the meantime i'm happy with reading up on the Perfect Works book :)

Jiro
04-21-2014, 07:28 AM
I would like to see everybody get the same game, rather than you being impressed by 20 hours of content and me being unimpressed by the lack of additions.

Mercen-X
04-21-2014, 09:35 AM
merf?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-21-2014, 07:18 PM
I would like to see everybody get the same game, rather than you being impressed by 20 hours of content and me being unimpressed by the lack of additions.

Of course.
Bonus content for all :monster:

metagloria
04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Despite the fact that disc 2 was a text dump with boss fights, it's still one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Don't get me wrong, though. I still quite enjoyed the second disc.

Yes yes yes, totally. I only played this for the first time a couple of years ago, and read about the controversy over disc 2 (was it REALLY meant to be that way, or did they run out of time/money?)...once I started to play through, it became ABUNDANTLY clear that it was not the disc they intended. I mean, they just jump you straight to the end of dungeons! No RPG in its right mind would do that.

(Then again, I always felt super weird about the four-mirror sequence in FF9...they couldn't have given us four little mini-dungeons and boss fights for two-person parties?)

Bolivar
04-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Yes yes yes, totally. I only played this for the first time a couple of years ago, and read about the controversy over disc 2 (was it REALLY meant to be that way, or did they run out of time/money?)...

They supposedly ran out of time. Which is understandable, considering the game is already around 60 hours, given a modicum of sidequesting. I can't imagine how long Xenogears would have been if they were allowed to create their full vision.

metagloria
04-24-2014, 07:00 PM

Yes yes yes, totally. I only played this for the first time a couple of years ago, and read about the controversy over disc 2 (was it REALLY meant to be that way, or did they run out of time/money?)...

They supposedly ran out of time. Which is understandable, considering the game is already around 60 hours, given a modicum of sidequesting. I can't imagine how long Xenogears would have been if they were allowed to create their full vision.

"Supposedly". It's never been confirmed, and some game-related sources flat out deny it. But it's obviously not the product it was envisioned to be.

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Most sources say it was a combination of both a lack of time and money. I also wouldn't be surprised if people were pulled from the project to work on other projects, it wasn't exactly a high priority for Square. It was Square's refusal to make it into a franchise and let the team do all the other episodes that resulted in a large chunk of them leaving the company to form Monolith Soft.

LunarWeaver
04-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Shadow Hearts 2. Maybe 3 if they feel like it, I guess. But mostly Covenant. If only I still had a soul to bargain with.

Botchmun
04-25-2014, 06:19 AM
I was going to say Shadowrun for the SNES/Sega, but we got Shadowrun returns and I still got my old 2nd edition books, chummers.

Honestly Super Mario RPG but Square Enix and Nintendo like to ride bikes made out of dicks I doubt we'll see it soon.

Police Quest and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream come to mind though.

Christmas
05-06-2022, 11:16 AM
Chrono Trigger! I want a 3D Chrono with a 1D character!! :bigsmile:

Galuf
05-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. It is relatively likely at some point, it is my 2nd favourite game of all time aswell.

Example
12-24-2022, 09:45 AM
How about Tales of the Abyss? Symphonia and Vesperia already got remastered (the former getting yet another one next year) so why not Abyss? Given its popularity it would seem like a sensible choice.