PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP retires today

SuperMillionaire
04-08-2014, 02:26 PM
As of today, April 8, 2014, Microsoft has retired Windows XP, which means it will no longer support it; people who continue to use XP will be left to fend of hackers on their own. Thus, the event known as the "XPocalypse" is here.

Microsoft clearly wants people to upgrade to the polarizing Windows 8, which has alienated many desktop and laptop users because of its new interface that is designed more for tablets. I think Windows 8 makes a great tablet system, and I actually have one at home, but as a desktop/laptop, it's not so good; Windows 7, which is now 5 years old, is better for desktops and laptops, and those who are upgrading are more likely to migrate to 7 rather than 8, because 7 is closer in feel to a modernized XP. I also have a Windows 7 laptop at home.

XP was launched all the way back in 2001, so it's been 13 years. After XP, Vista came out in 2007 and failed epically, and Apple capitalized on this with its "Get a Mac" campaign. Windows 7 then came out in 2009 and successfully put an end to Apple's demonizing campaign, restoring the reputation of Windows, but Microsoft began to feel pressure from the rising popularity of tablet computers and smartphones, which is why they created Windows 8 in 2012. This new operating system was intended to merge both tablet functionality and desktop/laptop functionality. It was innovative, but many desktop and laptop users felt alienated by the new interface, which is why it has not been as successful as its predecessor, though it has still found success as a tablet, but it still lags behind the iPad and Android-based tablets.

Microsoft has also been working on laptop/tablet hybrid devices, but I think they should remain separate, only because they have different functions. Tablets are good for casual browsing, but laptops are true workhorses. The only thing laptops cannot do that standard desktops can is print, though it can still create and store the same documents. The laptop never truly killed off the desktop, and the tablet, which is basically a larger smartphone minus the phone part, will not kill off the laptop either.

Windows 8 may be great for a tablet, but Windows 7 is better for desktops and laptops. Microsoft, however, clearly wants people to upgrade to Windows 8, and is updating it with an official Start Menu on the desktop. Still, because of Windows 8 and its alienating new interface features, Windows 7, like XP before it, will probably have an extended lifetime. It launched in 2009, and it will probably be around until at least 2019 or 2020.

Psychotic
04-08-2014, 02:37 PM
The very best, in my opinion. Relative to its era, of course.

Ayen
04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Windows XP was the first OS I used when I first got a computer back in 2005, and it served me well until my computer finally died and I got a new PC that had Windows 7 already installed on it. I think I'll be sticking with that too since I haven't heard anything good about Windows 8.

Endless
04-08-2014, 04:38 PM
At the same time: The Windows 8.1 Update finally makes Microsoft's Metro future PC-friendly | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2140720/the-windows-8-1-update-finally-makes-microsofts-metro-future-pc-friendly.html)

And in the (hopefully near) future: Rejoice! The Start menu is coming back to Windows | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2138443/rejoice-the-start-menu-is-coming-back-to-windows.html)

CimminyCricket
04-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't miss XP as much as most people do because I never really had a problem with Vista, 7, or 8.1. Of all the operating systems that I've used 8.1 is by far my favorite. I have it on my desktop and, when my laptop dies, I'll be buying a laptop with 8.1 as well.

Shorty
04-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I also don't miss it. Hello, Windows 7!

Parker
04-08-2014, 06:49 PM
and the security community rejoiced, for it began to rain 0days

Kalevala
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Windows XP was a fantastic OS. The jump from Windows 98 to Windows XP was incredible. I remember watching other people run XP and thinking it was one of the smoothest, most beautiful things I had seen on a computer screen.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
I think it is funny that I specifically got a Macbook because I couldn't find a new laptop that came with XP installed. XP was the best Windows OS by far. Better than anything before or that has come after. A sad day indeed.

Bunny
04-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I don't see the issue with Windows 8.

Mirage
04-08-2014, 09:54 PM
About time they let that old thing die. The only good thing about it today is that it runs FFXI more efficiently because of certain backwards compatibility things that were changed in windows 6.0 and up.

Personally, I have no issues with windows 8, although I never tried 8.0, only 8.1. Don't really miss the old start menu either. I usually just pressed winkey and started typing what I wanted to start even in windows 7, and I can do that just as easily with the start screen on Win8.

One thing I do miss though, is the aero glass theme. It's not that the Win8 window theme is bad, but I just like having the options.

Jiro
04-09-2014, 12:50 AM
XP was pretty legendary, and it's a shame to see it go, but I'm not dissatisfied with 8.1 really. I've had some issues getting the hang of it but otherwise it'll do. I just type for stuff like Mirage.

Mirage
04-09-2014, 02:11 AM
One thing I do think is dumb is how they're having pretend-versions now. Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 is actually 6.1, and Windows 8 is just 6.2 and a new user interface. Win 8.1 is actually windows 6.3! It's all just a mess.

Microsoft clearly wants people to upgrade to the polarizing Windows 8, which has alienated many desktop and laptop users because of its new interface that is designed more for tablets.

You're wrong though. The reason MS kills off XP is because they want people to not use XP anymore, as it is an outdated operating system that they don't want to keep spending resources on patching whenever a new security issue pops up. MS isn't doing anything to try to move windows 7 users over to windows 8.

Nothing they're doing here is clearly what you're saying it is.

Also, every huge windows change is polarizing, just like every huge facebook change is polarizing. People hated the XP start menu too, or have you forgotten about that already?

For the record, I have one of these exact devices you're talking about that is combining a tablet and a laptop, and it wins epically, to use your words. The MS Surface Pro 2 is a brilliant device, and anyone who thinks otherwise has never even held one in their hands. Furthermore, most laptops are not work horses. Most of them are crappy little plastic boxes that people spend most time on browsing tabloid news sites, facebook and watch youtube videos with.

I also wonder how I managed to print something from my laptop, when you're saying that the only thing desktops can do that laptops can't is to print. Perhaps I did it by using some new thing called usb, but I'm not sure.

Shiny
04-10-2014, 06:01 AM
XP was god tier but it's really about time they did this. People need to update their operating system more frequently.

Pike
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Win7 is pretty decent (IMO). It was actually decent enough to convince me to move back to Windows for a couple of years after using Linux for years on end. (Then I got bored and now I'm back on Linux :shobon:)

I skipped Vista entirely and haven't tried Win8 so I don't have any opinion on those.

RIP WinXP. I feel like it was yesterday that we were playing StarCraft Brood War together all day long. ;__;7

oNXzMBA9VU4

Big D
04-10-2014, 11:26 AM
I prefer 7, but XP was a fine old workhorse that gave many years of good service. Especially in the office environment, it generally proved to be a dependable and predictable tool, relatively easy to troubleshoot, if a little more cumbersome than its successor.

CimminyCricket
04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
The 8.1 patch made this my all time favorite operating system. I'm having trouble thinking of things off the top of my head that I would like changed.